Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Has bring a trailer ever been a site for selling overpriced “restored” cars?

That's one of the things BaT is best at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Of course there's people in the replies defending how cheap these wheels are

https://twitter.com/SteakFrankhouse/status/1772048574819217789?t=Hk5dUq5JpUDvB24IIm7GHA&s=19

lol fuckin gamer chair rear end poo poo

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://twitter.com/SteakFrankhouse/status/1772048574819217789?t=Hk5dUq5JpUDvB24IIm7GHA&s=19

I have a coworker with a Model S plaid who says he's on his third steering wheel and Tesla says they won't continue to replace them-- despite the car still being under warranty.

Had a neighbor who has or had a model s plaid and he had the same issue and apparently Tesla refused to replace it when it happened to him and the car was less than a year old.

Trash company.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They could perhaps make a wheel that's higher quality than a $30 aliexpress one?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Knowing Tesla they are probably using a glue that was never tested below 70 F or some poo poo so when the car is in a location that isn't socal its steering wheel just disintegrates.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's their ~vEgAn LeAtHeR~ compound. a lot of these ultra-soft plastic leather substitutes are oil-sensitive, and skin lotion, among other oily chemicals, will indeed make the plastic swell and fall apart. you can look around the internet and find cases of all sorts of products falling apart from repeated contact with skin oil and moisturizers.

a $120,000 car should have a real leather wheel, or if that's unacceptable for some reason, then go back to regular PVC (vinyl) like we've used for decades. it's not like it'll make the interior any cheaper

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm sure it's all just the regular "low VIN Tesla problems" as actually demonstrated in this screen grab from a strangely positive review. Apparently a common and acceptable flaw that you should expect on $60k vehicle from a company that has been manufacturing several different models of cars for more than a decade
Yes, the door is closed all the way

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

I'm sure it's all just the regular "low VIN Tesla problems" as actually demonstrated in this screen grab from a strangely positive review. Apparently a common and acceptable flaw that you should expect on $60k vehicle from a company that has been manufacturing several different models of cars for more than a decade

That's not a $60k car. That's a $100k car.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

The Door Frame posted:

A reminder:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On that note, elon, here's some weather stripping bulging out of a panel on the front of the Cyber truck in the garage

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

On that note, elon, here's some weather stripping bulging out of a panel on the front of the Cyber truck in the garage

I think you'll find this is all within tolerances. How big is a micron anyway? :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think you'll find this is all within tolerances. How big is a micron anyway? :v:

It's not the panels' fault the ultra high quality weather stripping can't be cut by a pair of scissors

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

About the size of Musk's dick

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

yeah but mass-production precludes perfectionism

:boom:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats more like sub 10 microwave accuracy..

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I like that it has oil canning going on that would rival that of a budget Circuit-City Compaq computer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I saw a Cybertruck irl at Cars and Coffee a couple weekends ago. I assumed that it was going to be lovely but also assumed everything I saw online about it was highlighting the worst of it.

No, it really is that lovely, right out there like that. Just a giant, ugly, style-less POS built terribly. It is amazing that it's a real thing and people are that stupid.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cursedshitbox posted:

I like that it has oil canning going on that would rival that of a budget Circuit-City Compaq computer.

It's really what it is, though: a vehicle built by a tech company, not a decent high-tech car produced by an actual car company.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised nobody has actually polished one of those turds yet.

It probably wouldn't look great with how wavy the body panels are but it doesn't look great as is.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

FSD solves this, etc

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You won't care

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

A software engineer frustratedly attempts to patch the steering wheels in an OTA update

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So the new Polestar that doesn't have a rear windscreen and instead a camera. Someone was claiming it was only done so they could make the car a specific shape.... and the shape is just generic like every other SUV thing on the market? C'mon man, pull the other one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Surely a window is cheaper than a camera?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Surely a window is cheaper than a camera?

Having a camera is already a legal requirement.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Innovation is dead, only marketing exists. :toot:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I see they are following Tesla's lead and designing cars exclusively for Southern California where inclement weather is not a thing.

With how often my rear camera gets fogged over or covered in schmutz, I'm leery about relying solely on a camera. Sure the high mount design probably helps but...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So the new Polestar that doesn't have a rear windscreen and instead a camera. Someone was claiming it was only done so they could make the car a specific shape.... and the shape is just generic like every other SUV thing on the market? C'mon man, pull the other one.

This future sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This future sucks.

Seems that way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guinness posted:

I see they are following Tesla's lead and designing cars exclusively for Southern California where inclement weather is not a thing.

With how often my rear camera gets fogged over or covered in schmutz, I'm leery about relying solely on a camera. Sure the high mount design probably helps but...

Easy to vandalize too!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/iqLhTnG.mp4

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Not the most well executed but I do appreciate the concept.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

AveMachina posted:

A software engineer frustratedly attempts to patch the steering wheels in an OTA update

lol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm genuinely impressed at how poorly this is thought out.

https://twitter.com/omg_tesla/status/1772490304303870197?t=2bat6FYufr76Yh9u9w_f9w&s=19

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Is...is the top piece of the spoiler just glued in place or something?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

....wait, what, you just can cut out the window seal using metal wire?

Also, I have to assume the spoiler is mounted to something inside the trunk, should you be able to unbolt it from the mechanism to raise/lower the spoiler internally?

Like, Tesla's suck, but there's a method to remove the entire thing: https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-4FAEEF23-7B73-4A1F-A037-3E487FAFEB75.html. This seems dumb.

Yeah, this guy is not all that bright: https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-695C1F76-A4C4-4382-A4FC-0AB9136706D7.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 27, 2024

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Straight from the horse's mouth
https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-E97ECD3E-7EA5-4382-B335-BF390EB69E52.html

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I feel like this is further evidence of "It's Tesla", but here's the service manual entries for removing the back glass:

Step 10 of Backlight Glass (Remove and Install) calls for the technician to Remove the spoiler applique. This procedure references a special tool ("Equalizer 360" with an "Equalizer blade" - the websites for these are pretty crappy, but it may well be the tool that the tech is using at the beginning of the video) and seems to imply that it's possible to remove without damaging, but that isn't explicitly stated.

This seems to not make sense if you can just remove the spoiler assembly as the link CommieGIR posted says, but :tesla:

edit: I love that while posting this, MORE different procedures were found. :lol:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

But it says he's replacing the rear glass, then why is he not doing so? And even more he's going at it with an air hammer. I don't think I'd let that guy work on any of my cars.