Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

....wait, what, you just can cut out the window seal using metal wire?

Also, I have to assume the spoiler is mounted to something inside the trunk, should you be able to unbolt it from the mechanism to raise/lower the spoiler internally?

Like, Tesla's suck, but there's a method to remove the entire thing: https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-4FAEEF23-7B73-4A1F-A037-3E487FAFEB75.html. This seems dumb.

Yeah, this guy is not all that bright: https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-695C1F76-A4C4-4382-A4FC-0AB9136706D7.html

I'm confused here too... Why peel all the metal off the spoiler if he just needed to get at the two screws on each end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's legit, this is off of Tesla's service manual

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Again - he says he's replacing the glass, when that's clearly not even a step in doing so.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

But it says he's replacing the rear glass, then why is he not doing so? And even more he's going at it with an air impact hammer. I don't think I'd let that guy work on any of my cars.
Like I said earlier, it's not clear if it's actually the tool they recommend, but it certainly might be.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CommieGIR posted:

....wait, what, you just can cut out the window seal using metal wire?

Also, I have to assume the spoiler is mounted to something inside the trunk, should you be able to unbolt it from the mechanism to raise/lower the spoiler internally?

Like, Tesla's suck, but there's a method to remove the entire thing: https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-4FAEEF23-7B73-4A1F-A037-3E487FAFEB75.html. This seems dumb.

Yeah, this guy is not all that bright: https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-695C1F76-A4C4-4382-A4FC-0AB9136706D7.html

From the replies, the first procedure applies only to the Active Spoiler, which was only fitted to very early cars. The second precedure you linked is what he does after removing the "spoiler applique", which you need to do to access the bolts. The manual shows a non destructive method, but I don't really see how? After any time in service, that glue is gunna be rock hard and at the very least you're not going to be able to avoid damaging it, even with the best of care. Dude in video appears to know this and is just going hog wild cos I bet he's done it a bunch of times and knows it's not worth it, just replace the fuckin thing.

https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-E1F38063-F73E-4C4D-B36E-AC18427BDB98.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

Like I said earlier, it's not clear if it's actually the tool they recommend, but it certainly might be.

He's using a regular air chisel attachment, not a blade like that tool. I hope that was just for show, frustrating as Tesla's are and stupid as they are, taking a regular air chisel to it screams dumb.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The spoiler and center brake light on my MKV GTI were glued on. There was a warranty extension because the LEDs were burning out, but they would only replace them if like 50% were burned out because it required ripping the whole thing off the car and gluing a new one on.

But it didn't block the rear window.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

Again - he says he's replacing the glass, when that's clearly not even a step in doing so.

Step six in replacing the lift gate glass is to remove the spoiler stanchion, which requires removing the applique like shown in the video
https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-695C1F76-A4C4-4382-A4FC-0AB9136706D7.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

Step six in replacing the lift gate glass is to remove the spoiler stanchion, which requires removing the applique like shown in the video
https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelX/ServiceManual/en-us/GUID-695C1F76-A4C4-4382-A4FC-0AB9136706D7.html

The only difference is the Tesla service manual assumes that you can undo the adhesive and then glue the thing back on down. Which is lol

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

He's using a regular air chisel attachment, not a blade like that tool. I hope that was just for show, frustrating as Tesla's are and stupid as they are, taking a regular air chisel to it screams dumb.
Went back, looked at the video, tend to agree that it's just a air chisel, but ... that appliqué was never coming off in one piece undamaged. I don't think I'd buy a different tool to get the same result either.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CommieGIR posted:

I highly doubt that even using the proper tool, you can get that thing off AND have it be reusuable.

Why, Tesla even SAYS "inspect for damage and replace if needed".

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

whats weird is like, ugly isn't a dealbreaker for a truck. lovely interiors aren't either. a dearth of features isn't. all as long as it gets the job done. this is ugly and lovely and barely functional

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

That bad boy is never going to be perfectly flat again

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

That bad boy is never going to be perfectly flat again

Good news - it's a Tesla so it wasn't flat to begin with

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DFMAgonewild

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this whole article.

Opinion: The long overdue death of the stick shift car

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/opinions/automatic-vs-manual-cars-electric-pollution-hockenos

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok he can go straight to hell.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah i was like goddamn cnn is using ragebait now. some of us just enjoy rowing the boat

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"He affectionately describes the stick shift’s smooth knob nestled in his palm. (Sigmund Freud would have had no trouble deducing the grounds for this allure.)"

yeah its the whole penis holding aspect of it that i enjoy you totally caught me.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I too enjoy grasping penises shaped like skulls and 8-balls

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
shiny and chrome penises... penii? whats the proper plural of penis?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

"He affectionately describes the stick shift’s smooth knob nestled in his palm. (Sigmund Freud would have had no trouble deducing the grounds for this allure.)"

yeah its the whole penis holding aspect of it that i enjoy you totally caught me.

And stomping the clutch is equivalent to tickling the prostate orrrrr?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
donkey punch im assuming

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It would probably be less labour intensive to just replace the whole hatch on that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I respect the concept but hate the execution.

I haven't driven a stick in twenty years but gently caress this guy.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lol this poo poo is so loving tired in 2024

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Every morning I suck off my GTI to warm up the oil

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Every morning I suck off my GTI to warm up the oil

Ah poo poo, I thought you had to gently caress the tailpipe, or is that only on semi trucks

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fifty Three posted:

I thought we agreed not to talk about this in public.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fifty Three posted:

Is that what yours is like?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The single giveaway is right here:

quote:

It’s not just that I cringe at the grating screech of a botched downshift, that high-pitched sequel worse than fingernails across a chalkboard. The sound upbraids and shames me for having wronged the drivetrain.

"EVs to the rescue" man what a depressing phrase. I definitely think there's a distinction between driving because you have to (which is like 99% of all car trips) and driving because it's fun. Those people who don't enjoy driving because it's just a means to an end never will enjoy it but there'll still be some weirdos who enjoy a weekend trip in a vehicle with less than efficient drivetrains because they're more involving to take on those trips. It's like people who listen to vinyl, it's objectively shittier quality and more prone to imperfections but I'm not knocking people for enjoying the process of it all.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 28, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The only real angle worth considering is that its probably not more efficient for some cars now vs an automatic version of the same.

But lol let it go dude, if people want to buy em, keep making them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah it isnt efficient and the robots can probably shift better and much more gas efficient but you miss out on the fun of dropping 2 gears and just leaving the tailgating brotruck in the dust as you giggle like a maniac.

also yeah dude prob drives a stick like poo poo and owns a tesla

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Every time I think of the world's clearly obvious near future, I remember how the EV factories pulled everyone through the crisis in documentaries like Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" and the Mad Max series of films

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

yeah it isnt efficient and the robots can probably shift better and much more gas efficient but you miss out on the fun of dropping 2 gears and just leaving the tailgating brotruck in the dust as you giggle like a maniac.

also yeah dude prob drives a stick like poo poo and owns a tesla

Agreed on all points

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I keep seeing more and more opinion pieces on these news websites, they are slowly phasing out actual news like the manual transmission :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I keep seeing more and more opinion pieces on these news websites, they are slowly phasing out actual news like the manual transmission :v:

I'd love a way to make the Google news feed etc to just never show me opinion pieces.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd love a way to make the Google news feed etc to just never show me opinion pieces.

this for loving real. report the news dont be the news used to be a thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This would be awesome.

As far as manual transmissions go, I'm REALLY tempted to buy a Challenger R/T with a manual even tho I need one like a hole in my head. They are so cheap right now and I keep reading about how fun they are to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Recently I noticed that my left leg is pushing against the floor in my automatic when I'm slowing down. Four years since I drove a manual, my body is still acting like I am.