Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Powershift posted:

BMW does the same on the New i7, what part of China are they from?

They’re owned by the Quandts so the Nazi part I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

is there any upside to a caliper oversized relative to its pad like that or is it just aesthetic

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The working parts of a caliper are the hydraulic cylinders and the pads that they act upon.

Other than the structure which forms the housing of the cylinder, the rest is for mounting... or..... I suppose potentially assist with cooling and directing airflow.

Isepic
May 7, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Got ya.

So elon is pretty much grunthos the flatulent then eh?

Nah, he's up there right behind Paul Neil Milne Johnstone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cactus Ghost posted:

is there any upside to a caliper oversized relative to its pad like that or is it just aesthetic

More space to put an M on, that's highly practical from a revenue standpoint

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

"I have a top of the line M70 and I need a brake upgrade because my brake pads are smaller than a base model Corolla, but my car has 650hp and weighs a little more than 3 tons"

No wonder BMW owners drive like complete dicks, they physically cannot stop :v:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Data Graham posted:

So almost certainly this, but I wonder if wrapping the caliper further around the rotor gives a 0.0001% increase in MPG too...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

"I have a top of the line M70 and I need a brake upgrade because my brake pads are smaller than a base model Corolla, but my car has 650hp and weighs a little more than 3 tons"

There is a dealer installed M-Performance upgrade kit that makes them red for extra stopping.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would be super pissed if I paid extra for that after seeing it for the first time taking the wheel off or something

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"wow the caliper is huge, it must have at least 4 pistons!"

The single piston inside the caliper: :buddy:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would be super pissed if I paid extra for that after seeing it for the first time taking the wheel off or something

I don't know why you would be upset, the pads are high performance, not large size

E: the 2 on the image doesn't indicate more information, it brings you to the other brake option, which is the exact same brakes in blue

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 19, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well gently caress me then for assuming large calipers should equal large pads and more than one piston, especially on a BMW :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The m has stood for //Marketing for a while now

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

lmfao so now you need huge rear end rims to clear the way oversized caliper. Fantastic.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I suppose one could argue that such a caliper could be more rigid and thus flex less, providing "better" braking and clamping force but I feel like for street use on a car that would be totally unnecessary.

On a Transport truck or race car or something, maybe that would be beneficial? Or more thermal mass to absorb heat build up to ward off the various forms of brake fade? Once again though, probably not necessary in like 99.999999999% of street applications so its probably:

Data Graham posted:

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

The m has stood for //Marketing for a while now

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If that were true wed be seeing trucks and trains with the comically tiny pads. But we dont.
We dont even see tiny pads on race cars and they love to shave every gram off the vehicle, so it cant be a performance/weight trade.

I suspect penny pinching since theyd be thinking the car has regen anyways.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 19, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Scans a bit awkward, but you can *feel* the heart and emotion.

Cactus Ghost posted:

that's really fun, thank you for sharing

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I suspect penny pinching since theyd be thinking the car has regen anyways.

It's that. Brembo will build whatever you want - they are 4-piston calipers (even on the BMW,) they're just tiny pistons in a big ol' caliper. Perfectly adequate for the street, with regen on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Olympic Mathlete posted:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Data Graham posted:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is perfect

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey thread!

Have you seen AI's latest gang tag?

Yes it's ours and II'll add any of the AI ones - Black Thumbs, RADL, The Pig Balls Site and No time with a Cat - to your avatar/ title if you post terrible car stuff that is NOT Tesla or a Cybertruck on 21-04-2024 (For whatever timezone you are in, not just mine)

No voting, it's if mod or IK thinks it's terrible, you get the AI tag of your choice - the absolute worst gets full new avatar / title of your choice with tags.

No qualifications, if it's terrible it's a deal!

Reminder, post actual terrible car poo poo on 21-04-2024

AI ones - Black Thumbs, RADL, The Pig Balls Site and No time with a Cat

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tesla is recalling all the cyber trucks lol

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-is-recalling-cybertrucks-because-their-accelerator-pedals-could-get-stuck-123057430.html

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I hope they loving go bankrupt.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

This is a loving new car meme right here

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

I wonder how much they get repeat customers? I probably can't remember which sandwiches were better or worse than the average and will have to buy one at random, but this level of betrayal I will remember.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Saukkis posted:

I wonder how much they get repeat customers? I probably can't remember which sandwiches were better or worse than the average and will have to buy one at random, but this level of betrayal I will remember.

That's the kind of poo poo you do at an airport concession where there's a decent chance the customers won't even look at it until they're a hundred miles away and you may never see them again in any case.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Midjack posted:

That's the kind of poo poo you do at an airport concession where there's a decent chance the customers won't even look at it until they're a hundred miles away and you may never see them again in any case.

I was just surprised to see four actual 1/2 slices of bread where 3 could have gone and not many would have been the wiser.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

This is a loving new car meme right here

it can represent so many bullshit things car companies do these days

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

"Can't stop, won't stop" swerves violently through traffic before colliding with a center divider at 130kph

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'll bet it's side impact = high doors = needs huge wheels to look right = comedy calipers to look like big brakes relative to the wheels.

Otherwise you're getting that 90-00 civic on 17s with spray painted calipers look.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Anyone want to armchair scientist this? My thought is that as an EV they (manufacturer) assumed it would be utilising regen for a significant amount of braking force generally. So when that was turned to low or off on the track the little pads in the calipers simply could not handle the physics of a 5000lb car braking heavily on a track.

https://twitter.com/DriveGreen80167/status/1778523665627595238?t=Jt0nGsIdx-TvAjIGCfjU4A&s=19

Ok, as an actual automotive engineer, working with brake systems for almost 25 years, my take on this is:

Management decides to make a ”performance” halo variant.
Slaps on fat 4-6 piston fixed calipers with the following requirements
•must be painted in [agressive color]
•must be branded with [fancy performance brand]

Then first prototypes roll out for testing. The performance is actually decent, but they squeal like hell and the pedal feel is awful, especially when the brakes are cold (and EVs in general tend to run cold brakes all the time)

Management: -Do something! Our customers expect the same experience as in our cheaper models.
Engineers: Ok boss, we can switch to softer, less fade resistant pads. Oh, and to solve the noise, let’s cut a chamfer in the leading/trailing edges.

Then after further testing, the result comes back that although the issue has improved, but the brakes still makes noise during day-to-day driving.
Management: -You worthless POS! In three weeks we will have our launch event. We have already booked a racing track where we are going to let the journalists really experience our superb performance engineered EV.
Engineers: -MOAAAR CHAMFERS!

So, story short: Giving the pads this agressive chamfering, not only reduces the fade stability as there is less pad volume to allow heat transfer, but there is now also an overhanging risk that the pad can tilt over if there is uneven wear.

Also: A race track is probably the worst place to demonstrate a ”performance model” intended for road use, as the track allows for driving associated with actual race cars.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

Cactus Ghost posted:

Yes, if you want structual strength in order to prevent the caliper housing flexing under extreme brake forces.
On the other hand, you want to position the centerline of the piston as far out on the disc (rotor for you US guys) in order to maximize the effective radius of the braking force. As you are constrained by the wheel inner diameter, you then need to bridge the two caliper halves further away from the pad, thus introducing a bending force, which you counter with even more beefier structure. It’s all about balancing attributes, but yeah, sometimes it makes for comically large calipers.

dev/null fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The fact it's off centre is driving me mad. How much are these again? :lol:

https://twitter.com/niccruzpatane/status/1781160154630672444?t=jwWjBb0V06zMHVMMAGeKWw&s=19

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

dev/null posted:

Ok, as an actual automotive engineer, working with brake systems for almost 25 years, my take on this is:

Management decides to make a ”performance” halo variant.
Slaps on fat 4-6 piston fixed calipers with the following requirements
•must be painted in [agressive color]
•must be branded with [fancy performance brand]

Then first prototypes roll out for testing. The performance is actually decent, but they squeal like hell and the pedal feel is awful, especially when the brakes are cold (and EVs in general tend to run cold brakes all the time)

Management: -Do something! Our customers expect the same experience as in our cheaper models.
Engineers: Ok boss, we can switch to softer, less fade resistant pads. Oh, and to solve the noise, let’s cut a chamfer in the leading/trailing edges.

Then after further testing, the result comes back that although the issue has improved, but the brakes still makes noise during day-to-day driving.
Management: -You worthless POS! In three weeks we will have our launch event. We have already booked a racing track where we are going to let the journalists really experience our superb performance engineered EV.
Engineers: -MOAAAR CHAMFERS!

So, story short: Giving the pads this agressive chamfering, not only reduces the fade stability as there is less pad volume to allow heat transfer, but there is now also an overhanging risk that the pad can tilt over if there is uneven wear.

Also: A race track is probably the worst place to demonstrate a ”performance model” intended for road use, as the track allows for driving associated with actual race cars.

But those are a very expensive brake upgrade on a performance model, looking at similar performance models in the M70 price range, they'll have 4 pistons minimum. Although, the rotors being solid metal kind of gives away that they aren't expected to get much heat
Is there a way to line up multiple brake pads and not break anything? Have one small one for regular driving, and one or two more for sport mode. It's not like they don't have the space in there

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's easy to put two calipers on the same rotor, we just don't bother for cars because no tire has enough traction to brake that hard. i think large aircraft do it though. and it's an easy way to set up a dorifutu handbrake without futzing with the existing hydraulic brake system.

e: also being "a very expensive upgrade on a performance model" is, at least in 2024, a point in favor of, not against, it being a do-nothing doodad with no purpose besides bilking people with more money than style or brains

istg we're a couple years away from a patreon/vegas-style whale tier option where you pay 1000% of msrp and get literally nothing besides a cool badge and electric cutouts that open up when you put it into Annoying Mode

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 20, 2024

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I literally have a separate electronic brake caliper on my rear brakes in addition to 4 piston caliper

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

dev/null posted:

That could end very badly if the car gets driven that way. Those brakes will get smoked fast.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cactus Ghost posted:

it's easy to put two calipers on the same rotor, we just don't bother for cars because no tire has enough traction to brake that hard.

No, it actually isn't that easy esp on the front where you have steering and large dynamic geometry changes. On the rear two disc brakes are rarely done so one is for the secondry brake (handbrake) and one of for the main system. There have been twin caliper front cars and they do stop exceedingly well but the complexities over say a big fuckoff six or eight pot caliper mean you just dont get much more out of it even if the tyre can do more (which actually they can esp if you get the weight shift right)

Also it's 21-04, post terrible car stuff and get AI gang tags.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

RULE ADDITION FOR 21-04-2024

Every post must have terrible car stuff even if you dont want a gang gag

quote:

II'll add any of the AI ones - Black Thumbs, RADL, The Pig Balls Site and No time with a Cat - to your avatar/ title if you post terrible car stuff that is NOT Tesla or a Cybertruck on 21-04-2024 (For whatever timezone you are in, not just mine)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 21, 2024

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Can I get a Black Thumbs tag please as long as it doesn't cancel out my current one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Cleaning out my folders and found these gems:

Black Thumbs if these are suitable, please!