Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's really not a problem unless you're grinding them. Huge numbers of the bolts we make are cad plated on the shanks or journals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Steve French posted:

I don't think I had fully realized how little difference there is between the front and back bumper until I saw this. I spent a good 30 seconds staring at what I at first thought was a replacement rear bumper, wondering a) what was wrong with the old one and b) why they both had license plates on them.

:monocle:

I never realized this.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

InitialDave posted:

It's really not a problem unless you're grinding them. Huge numbers of the bolts we make are cad plated on the shanks or journals.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea though. I've never even heard of this phenomena til now, but I guess if it allows manufacturer's to probably save money coating a non-ideal bolt then it's going to continue even if it kills some poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JP Money posted:

I wonder who thought cadmium coating bolts was a good idea?
It looks loving cool as poo poo. :colbert:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

So do a lot of things before they kill you. Like mercury, those little spitting dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, and women.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Mercury is entirely overblown as a health hazard.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Tell me more...

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

mutt2jeff posted:

Mercury is entirely overblown as a health hazard.

Uh you might wanna have your hat checked, buddy.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

I think that he may well be right.

Mercury isn't good for you, but a lot of people confuse its (undeniably bad) health effects for that of its methyl- and dimethyl- forms (liquid death with a side order of pure murder).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As usual, we have a useful chemical (mercury, asbestos, lead, cadmium) with many awesome properties that solve problems and make things way better, but also suck health wise. Where do you draw the line?

Me I'm fine with a thin coating of cadmium on bolts I'll be threading into aluminum and trying to get back out. Why? Because apparently it's only really released when they are ground, and... I don't have to grind them, because they come out so easy when coated in cadmium. You know something works well as a corrosion preventative coating when it means I can pull bolts out of cast aluminum, in the rust belt, 15 years after they were last touched.

Some terrible stuff.

Got stuck behind this guy doing 15 under the limit on one of my favorite roads. When a Jeep Cherokee with a completely thrashed stock suspension and a broken swaybar link can out-drive you on your CA vehicle (do trikes count?) by a huge margin, you are doing it wrong.

Saw this turd at the junkyard. Note the windshield markings... my only question is WHO THE HELL STEALS SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

Saw this turd at the junkyard. Note the windshield markings... my only question is WHO THE HELL STEALS SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

It's a civic. It most likely had expensive RIMS, a body kit, and some sort of motor that is highly desirable to thieves who are trying to hit the deadline for Race Wars.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Hello Spaceman posted:

No, I am not as mad as a hatter. Yes, if you go to work everyday and are constantly exposed to mercury, you will get sick. Just like you would get sick if you replaced the mercury with lead.

As far as skin contact goes, if I recall correctly, clean elemental mercury should be handled with the same precautions as lead. It is very bad to inhale in vaporized form, but pretty much harmless when handled or even ingested. In fact, before the dangers got blown way out of proportion, MSDS sheets used to suggest simply washing your hands with soap after direct contact with Mercury.

Its 2:40 in the morning, so I am not gonna spend all night looking up the buried facts on it, but here is a wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning#Elemental_mercury

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 24, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hello Spaceman posted:

Mercury itself isn't really that bad. It's methylmercury and dimethylmercury you need to worry about.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
Going back to bizarre car finishes for a moment, if I took my steel hood, stripped it down and polished it up, would I theoretically be able to use a bluing process as is employed in gun finishing? Because having a blued steel Subaru would be absolutely bitching, theoretically speaking of course.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
From this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503190#post406833238

Main focus is the dog because it gets left in there for a while regularly. Dem rims though.

SvenLeven
Nov 2, 2004

Everybody's got a price!

Note the very real bullet holes in the tailgate.

SvenLeven fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 24, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rujo King posted:

Going back to bizarre car finishes for a moment, if I took my steel hood, stripped it down and polished it up, would I theoretically be able to use a bluing process as is employed in gun finishing? Because having a blued steel Subaru would be absolutely bitching, theoretically speaking of course.

I would unironically like to hear more about this idea, that sounds cool as gently caress :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rujo King posted:

Because having a blue steel Subaru would be absolutely bitching, theoretically speaking of course.
It would be really, really, really ridiculously good looking, in fact.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Rujo King posted:

I suppose it would be possible, although most bluing is done in a tank, with a heated solution if I remember right. You'd need a much bigger tank then the average gunsmith is going to have to do body panels. I agree it would look cool though.
There's also cold bluing, but I don't know how much of a pain it would be to do something that big and get any kind of uniformity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I would unironically like to hear more about this idea, that sounds cool as gently caress :haw:

It'd certainly look better than "LOL LOOK AT MY RUSTY HOOD".

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Since bluing is a form of rust you could still say that and then be all :smug: when they look confused.

A blued car is something I've never thought of, and I'm a little angry at myself for that. It would look so loving beautiful. Keeping it clean and corrosion free would be a motherfucker though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
And its really hard to get a consistent finish reblueing a gun. I imagine it would be tough to do on a hood, unless you want the blotchy look.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Could you blue it and then clear over it? I don't see why not but I'm not sure how well clear would stick...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My coworker got a new car, and it is terrible.

We live in Iowa, and she bought a Brabus edition Smart. Apparently the regular one wasn't bad enough. Just looks tacky IMO.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It's hard to make out from the picture, but the license plate border thingy is covered entirely with Sunoco stickers.

I don't even know.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

angryhampster posted:

My coworker got a new car, and it is terrible.

We live in Iowa, and she bought a Brabus edition Smart. Apparently the regular one wasn't bad enough. Just looks tacky IMO.
It could be worse!

(comes with own hipster)

By the way, the Brabus Smart, this year, comes with no horsepower or handling improvements. The older version did.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesus Christ, what's the loving point? Buying a Smartcar already announces you have more money than brains and should probably be sterilized, but there's a loving Brabus edition?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Warcabbit posted:

It could be worse!

(comes with own hipster)

By the way, the Brabus Smart, this year, comes with no horsepower or handling improvements. The older version did.

I would drive the gently caress out of this

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Godholio posted:

Jesus Christ, what's the loving point? Buying a Smartcar already announces you have more money than brains and should probably be sterilized, but there's a loving Brabus edition?

Maaaybe.

And here. Have a bonus BAD IDEA.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Godholio posted:

It's truly terrible.

I'm starkly against the idea of 99% of the population buying a smart car. They're unsafe, overpriced, underpowered, and inefficient. When I found out my coworker bought one, it was all I could do to hold back my snickering.

You could buy a new Smart, or you could buy a new Focus...for the same price. The Focus is literally twice the car and gets just as good MPG.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

angryhampster posted:

You could buy a new Smart, or you could buy a new Focus...for the same price. The Focus is literally twice the car and gets just as good MPG.

Depends on where you drive.

The Smart is a city car, and in the city it will give significantly better mileage. Whether or not a city car is appropriate for your coworkers is a separate matter.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

dissss posted:

The Smart is a city car, and in the city it will give significantly better mileage. Whether or not a city car is appropriate for your coworkers is a separate matter.

It's not appropriate...we live in Iowa.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
In Australia, where roadworthy inspections are an annual affair and the police are militant about road safety, this is the closest I'm likely to come to terrible:

The bumper appears to be only attached by the PVC electrical insulation tape, not even cloth backed tape. Where we're going, we don't need mechanical fasteners.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Even as a city car, it's a piece of poo poo. The iQ dominates it on size, turning radius, power, torque, fun factor, seats, purchase price (for anything but the stripper model), transmission shift quality, gas mileage (not taking premium in the gas model for one thing) and maintenance cost.

The only advantages I can think of for the Fortwo are a greater supply of used cars to pull parts from, rear-wheel drive, and the availability of a diesel motor. Maybe smugness?

I'd also claim that it beats it on physical appearance and build quality, but those are fairly subjective. If you're buying a Fortwo with something like the iQ on the market, you're either uninformed or stupid.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 25, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even as a city car, it's a piece of poo poo. The iQ dominates it on size, turning radius, fun factor, seats, purchase price, gas mileage (not taking premium in the gas model for one thing) and maintenance cost.

I'd also claim that it beats it on physical appearance and build quality, but those are fairly subjective. If you're buying a Fortwo with something like the iQ on the market, you're either uninformed or stupid.

That's true if the iQ or its non-Smart alternative actually available where you are.

Regardless if it came down to a city car for me I'd rather just take the bus

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you're buying a Fortwo with something like the iQ on the market, you're either uninformed or stupid.

Or you prefer it for some reason? Buying a car is rarely a question of practicality, if it were nearly no one would drive a car in a city at all.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Reichstag posted:

Or you prefer it for some reason? Buying a car is rarely a question of practicality, if it were nearly no one would drive a car in a city at all.

Riiight, because adding 45 minutes to a 10 mile trip each way using public transportation is 'practical'.

If your city's only public transport is the bus, having a car is a must.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Raw_Beef posted:

Riiight, because adding 45 minutes to a 10 mile trip each way using public transportation is 'practical'.

If your city's only public transport is the bus, having a car is a must.

Or you could bike? Or consider the enormous resource and safety cost of personal motorized transit as part of the equation. My point is merely that saying that someone is an idiot for choosing one small car over another is pretty idiotic.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Reichstag posted:

Or you could bike? Or consider the enormous resource and safety cost of personal motorized transit as part of the equation.

:jerkbag:

Excuse me while i go run seafoam through my engine, it makes a really pretty cloud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Godholio posted:

I really don't understand who buys a smart car. If it's to have a small car, there are better options. If you want good fuel consumption, there are WAY better options. I'm not even going to comment on power / handling. Last I heard they're hemorrhaging money.

Speaking of horrible. Since it's a new thread...

It's ugly, it's expensive, the steering is disconnected, the pedals have no feel, and did I mention it's ugly?