Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just don't understand the point of giving a wagon such a high centre of gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's all about making soccer moms feel safe.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
While having a badge on the front that incites jealousy among the other moms.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raw_Beef posted:

Riiight, because adding 45 minutes to a 10 mile trip each way using public transportation is 'practical'.

If your city's only public transport is the bus, having a car is a must.

Depends on the city.

Taking the bus only added a few minutes to my trip downtown when I lived in Denton. I usually walked, biked, or took the bus everywhere when I lived there. However, nothing past 9pm on weeknights, nothing past 5pm on Saturday, nothing whatsoever on Sundays.

When I lived in Dallas, taking the bus to work would have been about a 2.5 hour trip. I should mention it was 1.8 miles each way, but I would have had to take a bus into a neighboring city, then catch another bus to another city, then catch yet another bus. The bus I would have eventually wound up on actually went past my apartment, but didn't stop anywhere nearby - walking was much, much faster. I lived on the Plano/Dallas border and worked in Plano..

Where I'm at now? Nearest bus stop is 4 miles away, and of course, it's run by DART (Dallas), so it would be a 2 hour trip to get anywhere once I got to the bus stop. :smith: But DART at least runs late night service, and full weekend service.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How do you.. I don't even... I mean.. THE loving NAME OF THE CAR IS RIGHT THERE HOW DO YOU gently caress THAT UP

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
I drive around Brisbane a lot for work, and love to photograph weird car poo poo I see
Trent's car

Oops

Ned Kelly tribute on a Mercedes

ricing

Scuzzy
May 12, 2001

I <3 Ayanami,
omg anime fag

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

I drive around Brisbane a lot for work, and love to photograph weird car poo poo I see
Some of the cars you can find in Sunnybank are just delightful

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I see that you're a regular of Toowong. I used to work in the same area and saw a lot of stupid poo poo around there.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 25, 2012

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

Aurune posted:

I really don't understand who buys a smart car. If it's to have a small car, there are better options. If you want good fuel consumption, there are WAY better options. I'm not even going to comment on power / handling. Last I heard they're hemorrhaging money.

Speaking of horrible. Since it's a new thread...

It's ugly, it's expensive, the steering is disconnected, the pedals have no feel, and did I mention it's ugly?

It also kept Porsche out of Chapter 7 so they could continue bringing us the 911.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Yeah, I work a social work type job and have clients all over the north side and out to Kenmore/Indro. I do love Sunnybank for ricer spotting, you could fill a whole page in this thread with the contents of the Market Square parking lot on a Friday night

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Warcabbit posted:

It could be worse!

Using science, I can now reveal what it would be like driving within ten miles of thing on a sunny day:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I like it, but it is tres nerdy.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Reichstag posted:

Or you could bike? Or consider the enormous resource and safety cost of personal motorized transit as part of the equation.

It would take me 90 minutes and 4 buses to get me to work which is 9 miles away. Unfortunately there are places where a car is almost required to survive. :(

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Unfortunately?!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

hitze posted:

Unfortunately?!

Most people, or at least most younger (20s and 30s) people, couldn't care less about cars, and it's just an expensive and tedious necessity for getting from point A to B that in a perfect world they wouldn't have to deal with owning, maintaining, and insuring.

And you know what, even as a huge car/bike guy, I really can't blame them. I love driving, but I hate having to drive. I live in the center of the city so that I don't have to use my car for everything. As a car guy, it really has its benefits as most of my driving is pleasure/recreation driving rather than commuting, sitting in traffic, and driving stoplight to stoplight. I could live without a car fairly easily in the city and neighborhood I'm in, but I don't because I still like cars too much, but many people around me don't own cars.

But most people don't view driving as something that is fun; who the idea of "pleasure driving" is a foreign and uninteresting concept. They own cars because have to, or because it's vastly more convenient than the alternatives. These are the people who get excited about new driving alternatives like wide-scale deployments of the Google Car, or even existing things like zipcar. For them, a car is just a transportation appliance and little more, and the sooner we can remove the human element from it the better.

And for the majority of crap commuting-in-traffic driving, I understand where they're coming from...

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 25, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It would take me 90 minutes and 4 buses to get me to work which is 9 miles away. Unfortunately there are places where a car is almost required to survive. :(
I have a lot of friends from Phoenix (west side) that live without cars. It can be done. :v: That said, I am DD most nights when I party with them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hitze posted:

Unfortunately?!
Yes, unfortunately. I love cars, I love my car, I love tinkering, I love planting the go pedal down and rowing through gears but Jesus loving Christ I would love to just hop on a train to work and read a book while it shuttles me around in an efficient manner. I'm only 30 and am completely burned out on rush hour traffic, especially in a city with absurd urban sprawl problems like Phoenix Metro. Like Guinness said, I love driving but I hate hate hate hate hate having to drive.

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a lot of friends from Phoenix (west side) that live without cars. It can be done. :v: That said, I am DD most nights when I party with them.
It's possible but it's a huge pain in the rear end. My fiance doesn't drive and many many moons ago I lost my license for a month and nothing really prepared us for it. You realize just how far you drive for basic things like groceries, supplies, employment etc. It certainly explains why there are so many uninsured drivers here and the absurd levels of shitacularness of many vehicles here as well. I love walking and biking but 9 miles is a touch out of reach considering my health (bum leg).

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 26, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I think I could get to work in two buses, which isn't bad considering it's about 25 miles one way; but I'd have to drive (or ride a bike) five miles to the first one, and if I get there at 7 then I should walk into work right at 9AM.

The same trip by car, even without the HOV lane, takes half that time - on a bad day.

Valley Metro can eat my rear end, though I'll continue voting for every time they ask for money in hopes that one day the system might not be useless.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Saw this in the Best Buy parking lot today:

With Manufacturer plates. In mid-Michigan. Who is importing Citroens?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
With Manufacturer plates no less, that's a very interesting find.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Saw this in the parking lot of the shopette, not shown is the "Unfading" sticker across the top of the windshield.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Eponine posted:

:wtc: Did a woman just post in AI?

It's probabvly GM? They just bought a stake in PSA Peugeot Citroen and are probably going to do some joint vehicles for the Euro market.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Guinness posted:

Most people, or at least most younger (20s and 30s) people, couldn't care less about cars, and it's just an expensive and tedious necessity for getting from point A to B that in a perfect world they wouldn't have to deal with owning, maintaining, and insuring.

I'm in this group as well. I'd absolutely love biking to work, but I'd probably end up mowed down by some rear end in a top hat on a cell phone within a week. It doesn't help that my car is my second largest money sink (after student loans) and I use it for less than 3 hours per week going to work. Most of that is sitting at lights and driving in a straight line so yeah, I'm kinda sick of car ownership.

Driving for fun with no other cars on the road would be nice though, maybe once I get a decent job and candy rains from the skies and the streets will be paved with fulfillment...

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Throatwarbler posted:

:wtc: Did a woman just post in AI?

It's probabvly GM? They just bought a stake in PSA Peugeot Citroen and are probably going to do some joint vehicles for the Euro market.

Hey.

Yeah, I live in a pretty GM-heavy town, but I also work for their technical assistance center, so I'm surprised I haven't come across any literature on it, since they usually make a big deal for redesigns and new products. And they still only have 7% stake in it, so why they'd choose the Citroen brand over Opel or Vauxhall is puzzling.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Another reason to never, ever go to jiffy lube.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Valley Metro can eat my rear end, though I'll continue voting for every time they ask for money in hopes that one day the system might not be useless.

Me too. It's a race to see which happens first; Valley Metro becoming useful or I finally move out of this poo poo hole.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sudo Echo posted:

Another reason to never, ever go to jiffy lube.

Oh no, the lower bay tech wrote something mildly obscene on the filter along with the required information. Pro tip: Random poo poo gets written on stuff at most shops - high end to bottom end.

Also, San Marcos, Ca judging by the store number.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The day my car rolled off the assembly line and a smiley face are written on the inside of my front bumper cover. :3:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought this was entirely normal. I've seen terrible Engrish swearing, Japanese symbols that were probably pretty crude and obscene graffiti* on the inside of bumpers and things like fuel tank covers on Mazdas. Even straightlaced Japan likes to have fun where no one who counts/cares will ever see it. The ones that came in from Malaysia never did though, not sure why.

*cartoon penises etc

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
When I gutted the interior of my H1 for restoration, Many of the interior panels had notes on the inside written in silver market.

I think I got a "Hi Amy" on a door panel in the closet. I was told it was common for workers at AM General to pass notes this way on trucks moving through the line.

UAW local 5 represent!

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Junkyard E34

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Was that real ostrich?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Devyl posted:

Was that real ostrich?

That man is a nutter. Part of me wonders how well it handles pot holes and body flex, the rest wonders if the vehicle hasn't exceeded its GVM.

http://englishrussia.com/2008/05/29/lithuanians-and-pu-foam/

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Eponine posted:

Please GM, please at least bring this to Canada.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Okay. This one's from 2011. I'm hoping I don't break tables, but these have to be placed side to side for full impact.

I feel uptight on a Saturday night / Nine o' clock, the radio's the only light / I hear my song and it pulls me through / Comes on strong, tells me what I got to do

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mini/2011-mini-countryman-kiss-edition-ar108678.html

Yes. This was a real and licensed thing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sbaldrick posted:

Please GM, please at least bring this to Canada.

They'll do what Dodge did with the Alfa Romeo that underpins the new Dart - modify the frame a bit, throw a mediocre body on top of it and claim they built it from the ground up. In short, ruin it.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Geoj posted:

They'll do what Dodge did with the Alfa Romeo that underpins the new Dart - modify the frame a bit, throw a mediocre body on top of it and claim they built it from the ground up. In short, ruin it.

But then why is there a Citroen driving around at all?

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
So they can show their engineers, "OK check this car out, take note of all the cool features, and make a bland shape out of it"

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I was too slow to get my camera deployed but on the way home a saw a Mercury (whatever their version of the Ford Contour was) with a home-made ALPINA badge on the trunk, and random bits of chrome glued to the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
NEVADA.JPG. I couldn't have staged this any better if I tried.

click for beeg

It has a really godawful peeling "Judge" paint job. If you look at the large photo you can see that it's entirely gone off the roof and down the rear.