Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Even the flag is made in china.

Judging by the caliber of people ive encountered my few times inside a harbor freight, as much as i hope their naming schemes like "Chicago electric" "pittsburgh steel" dont fool anyone as to their true origin, I have a sinking feeling people walk away thinking they got a smokin deal on some quality american made tools.

(im aware milwaukee and dewalt are also MIC, but we all know the difference)

Edit: holy poo poo, that is the least effort worst mad max car ive ever seen.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/08/27/stuck-accelerator-help.kcci

So some stupid lady talks about her accelerator getting stuck and being unable to slow it down.

SHIFT IT INTO NEUTRAL CHRIST

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Being driven by exactly the type of guy you'd think.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

astrollinthepork posted:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/08/27/stuck-accelerator-help.kcci

So some stupid lady talks about her accelerator getting stuck and being unable to slow it down.

Supposedly she couldn't. And then, magically, flicking the pedal back up with her foot caused the car to slow down. :iiam:

Or don't put the handbrake on and be surprised when, presumably due to overheating, your brakes won't work. Stand on the footbrake as hard as you can as soon as you realise things are going a little tits up.

And I love the whole "ZOMG 110MPH! 120MPH!!!" :supaburn:.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
There is NO way in hell she couldn't have nudged the shift lever into "N" there is a reason you don't need to push the button to do that from "D"

Luckly she didn't kill anybody, but she should have slammed into a bridge abutment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, if I ever decide to have a high speed police pursuit I'm totally using this excuse.

I'm somewhat impressed a Sportage can do 115mph over a highway median.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Mighty Horse posted:

There is NO way in hell she couldn't have nudged the shift lever into "N" there is a reason you don't need to push the button to do that from "D"

Let's just say for simplicity's sake that this wasn't possible (yeah loving right). Regardless... "And still, she can't shut the vehicle off."

...Really? On a relatively straight and open highway, I'd rather lose power steering and brake assist than careen down the road at "120" miles per hour in a giant SUV. There's nothing preventing the ability to turn the engine off while the car's in Drive, although a lot of transmission damage will probably occur. Of course, that wouldn't happen if it were in Neutral, which we all know she could have shifted to. I hope she gets ticketed.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, if I ever decide to have a high speed police pursuit I'm totally using this excuse.

If she doesn't, then someday I'm going to "accidentally" unbolt my clutch pedal from the master cylinder piston and go for a joyride in fifth gear, claiming the throttle shaft jammed open.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MiniFoo posted:

giant SUV.

Kia Sportage.

Anyways, she couldn't shift into neutral because she was too busy using her right hand to hold a cell phone so she could cry at 9-1-1 dispatch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Anyways, she couldn't shift into neutral because she was too busy using her right hand to hold a cell phone so she could cry at 9-1-1 dispatch.

That's what I don't get. I've been in a situation where the best option was to drive my rear end off (passed a guy on a two-lane road at night, oncoming traffic suddenly was a lot closer than I thought it was, he decided I cut him off) and as much as I'd have loved to call police on the guy...I was kind of busy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MiniFoo posted:

Let's just say for simplicity's sake that this wasn't possible (yeah loving right). Regardless... "And still, she can't shut the vehicle off."

...Really? On a relatively straight and open highway, I'd rather lose power steering and brake assist than careen down the road at "120" miles per hour in a giant SUV. There's nothing preventing the ability to turn the engine off while the car's in Drive, although a lot of transmission damage will probably occur. Of course, that wouldn't happen if it were in Neutral, which we all know she could have shifted to. I hope she gets ticketed.
Reportedly her SUV had push-button start so she was unable to turn the car off. I guess I can understand that people don't read their manuals and know that they can hold down a button to make it turn the car off abruptly.

To be fair, the button was probably also on the right and couldn't be hit while taking one hand off the wheel and holding a cellphone to your ear with it.

Is the emergency brake on a Sportage (Sorento?) a pedal or a handbrake lever?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
why do people call 911 while their car is going too fast? It's not like the police are going to catch up and jump through the window to help or something, all they can do is try and figure out where the crash site is going to be if you're that stupid. The "oh no call for help instead of helping myself" mentality just doesn't make sense to me.

PUT IT IN loving NEUTRAL

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This should be part of driver training and on the written test. Force the car to run away and make them figure out what to do. It surprises me the insurance industry doesn't lobby for better training and stricter test requirements and re-tests. Fewer claims mean more profit right? Insurance is mandatory so it's not like they'll lose business.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Do some cars not have a physical link between the transmission and shift lever anymore? If there's a bug in some software or an electrical short, can you not shift out of drive? That seems unsafe if you can't simply disengage the engine from the transmission...

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Viggen posted:

NEVADA.JPG. I couldn't have staged this any better if I tried.

click for beeg

It has a really godawful peeling "Judge" paint job. If you look at the large photo you can see that it's entirely gone off the roof and down the rear.

Is painting the top half of your car black a thing? I saw three different cars (separately, in different places) driving around the other day with one half red and the other half black. Couldn't figure it out at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Do some cars not have a physical link between the transmission and shift lever anymore? If there's a bug in some software or an electrical short, can you not shift out of drive? That seems unsafe if you can't simply disengage the engine from the transmission...

I'd bet that the newer Jaaaaaaaags with the rotary shifter fall into this category. I seem to remember a story from some normally non-automotive publication about one getting stuck in park.

Likewise, the Prius - the shifter seems to be just a collection of switches, not an actual linkage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd bet that the newer Jaaaaaaaags with the rotary shifter fall into this category. I seem to remember a story from some normally non-automotive publication about one getting stuck in park.

Likewise, the Prius - the shifter seems to be just a collection of switches, not an actual linkage.
I'd bet it's probably an NHTSA regulation or similar that you be able to bump the car into neutral while it's running, for just this kind of reason.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Wolfsbane posted:

Is painting the top half of your car black a thing? I saw three different cars (separately, in different places) driving around the other day with one half red and the other half black. Couldn't figure it out at all.

In this case, it was that style. The rear even had gothic "THE JUDGE" script. I was laughing too hard to try to focus on that picture. It would have shown off how bad this paint was missing everywhere, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Viggen posted:

NEVADA.JPG. I couldn't have staged this any better if I tried.

click for beeg

It has a really godawful peeling "Judge" paint job. If you look at the large photo you can see that it's entirely gone off the roof and down the rear.

I knew I forgot the sidewalk sale this weekend.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Worked on a Ford Expedition that didn't have any sort of physical linkage and that was like 2007 or 2008 I think? It's probably pretty common these days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mighty Horse posted:

Do some cars not have a physical link between the transmission and shift lever anymore?

On some PT Cruiser I rented (I protested when I got it, and rightly so), something happened physically so that I couldn't shift out of D. I felt like it might have been the shifter button jamming. When that happened, I also couldn't get the key out of the ignition. So only then could the rental office find a Sentra for me. Because of that incident, I have a little more respect for the possibility of a physical jam on the shifter.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Saw this yesterday..

You obviously have some sort of brake light voltage already at the back of the car, since you wired in the trailer lights.....why not just fix the lights that are there already? :psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

PUT IT IN loving NEUTRAL
Were she driving a proper SUV, she'd also have the option of putting the transfer case into neutral. It may not like it, but needs must.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Me too. It's a race to see which happens first; Valley Metro becoming useful or I finally move out of this poo poo hole.

Irony: Today they announced a bus service for far enough east that I could actually avoid driving the first leg of the trip.

It'd still be two hours each way, when I spend less time than that round trip even in the worst of rush hour.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
All of these were spotted around the Boston area over the past couple of months

There, I fixed it. (East Broadway, South Boston)

Pretty! (Brighton)

Sweet 'clipse dude. (Microcenter parking lot, Cambridge)

Why? (Stop & Shop parking lot, Woburn)

Badd rear end girlz drive badd-rear end toyz (in the parking garage at work, Waltham)

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 27, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GutBomb posted:

Why? (Stop & Shop parking lot, Woburn)

I saw these on a newer Beetle a couple of years ago...asked myself the same thing, although it worked better on that car than this Jeep.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Irony: Today they announced a bus service for far enough east that I could actually avoid driving the first leg of the trip.

It'd still be two hours each way, when I spend less time than that round trip even in the worst of rush hour.

I'd put up with the extra time if it was the light rail. :(

Liquid_Table
Jun 9, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Or don't put the handbrake on and be surprised when, presumably due to overheating, your brakes won't work. Stand on the footbrake as hard as you can as soon as you realise things are going a little tits up.

My Driver's Ed teacher would flip his top when someone called it an "e-brake". Which makes sense because if you pull it in an emergency, you're probably even more screwed than you were before.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

astrollinthepork posted:

Aren't I right that there's like never been a recorded case of this where it wasn't due to driver error or a hoax? Pretty sure that was the NHTSA finding on all the Toyota poo poo a year or two ago, anyway. And if so, bravo to CNN for treating everything that lying/dumb woman said as scientific fact with no further discussion at all. I mean she did have an angel that told her not to drive too fast.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Does this happen elsewhere? I've never heard about it happening in Germany, although most cars here aren't automatic, so the chances of it happening are stasticially smaller. Right now, I can only remember cases from the US but I'm not sure whether that's faulty memory, selection bias through media consumption or an indicator of just how terrible American drivers actually are.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

parrhesia posted:

indicator of just how terrible American drivers actually are.

We only need to take a written and then behind the wheel test to drive. I think I passed it with like 20 hours behind the wheel.

I had no loving clue what I was doing, and passed with flying colors.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Subverting the dominant phallocentric paradigm. I like it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Mighty Horse posted:

You obviously have some sort of brake light voltage already at the back of the car, since you wired in the trailer lights.....why not just fix the lights that are there already? :psyduck:

Maybe he'd seen the benefit of rain lamps for motorway use and wanted a set to call his own, then decided that all that extra wiring was a PITA so he'd activate them Lincoln driver style?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Just your average 7-Lug Dodge Intrepid:

Yes, all four wheels looked just like this.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Massholes
Salem, MA

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
OHGODTHEBEES.jpg

Note that it's completely untouched by the usual junkyard hounds. No minivan ever lasts more than a few hours to a day without being pillaged there. It still hasn't been touched as of the last time I went there.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Warner Bros. has announced that the Confederate flag will no longer be present on "future incarnations of the General Lee," whatever that means.

Actually, it refers to future movies(lolwhat?) and toy cars.

All the movie car club Facebook pages are currently erupting in a shitstorm of southern pride/slavery apologists and impotent fanboy nerd rage.

However, this isn't a new issue. The screen-used General Lee that resides in the Warner Bros. transportation museum has appeared like this for at least the last four years.

Of course, builders will keep building classic Generals, there are no plans to go all George Lucas on the old show, and Dukes of Hazzard isn't really a current licensing goldmine, so hopefully the crying subsides soon.

edit:
Now I know that the "General Grant" is actually a thing.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 28, 2012

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

When those apartments were built we called them Deadbeat Heights for all the recently divorced men there. Glad to see it's classy as ever.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Boomerjinks posted:

This concept is amazing.

Content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Boomerjinks posted:

edit:

Never really been a muscle car dude but this is a concept I could get behind.