Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You should unplug it every time you walk by. I imagine that the outlet in the garage is from shared electrical service

Alternatively, start putting your garbage in the back of the truck. If anyone asks, tell em it looks like a regular dumpster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

seems like a regular household outlet should be enough to keep it from draining the battery at least

if it can't thats even funnier

Shades of the early DMC-12s that had an alternator too weak to keep up with the car's power draw if the lights were on.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

that sounds like a tripping hazard, you should unplug it to keep the garage safe

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I know some of you on here are going to dig the poo poo out of this, but holy gently caress that price.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks..._BwE&store=1938

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

Not really. Have you seen how small the “bed” is?

Half a foot longer and only 2" narrower than the bed on a Lightning?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I had one of those. It was a flaming piece of poo poo. My roomate wrecked it and I sold it to some guys for like a grand that were gonna rebuild it.
It would get 8mpg and still be unable to merge onto a highway at more than 50. The 8-6-4. Thirst of 8, 6 on deck, power of 4.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wesleywillis posted:

I know some of you on here are going to dig the poo poo out of this, but holy gently caress that price.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks..._BwE&store=1938

That's not a Tacoma what the heck!!!!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I had a 4 cyl 5 speed Tacoma of that exact vintage and the stupid thing wouldn't accelerate uphill at over 60 mph. I absolutely do not understand how people get all teary-eye nostalgic about those goddamn things. And that's before you consider the inside out rust issues and 12 mpg fuel economy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nitrox posted:

I had a 4 cyl 5 speed Tacoma of that exact vintage and the stupid thing wouldn't accelerate uphill at over 60 mph. I absolutely do not understand how people get all teary-eye nostalgic about those goddamn things. And that's before you consider the inside out rust issues and 12 mpg fuel economy.

It's because its a Hilux and they can not die. That's it. That's the whole deal.
Plus Technicals.

Tacomas are north American specific trucks that came out in the mid 90s.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Sagebrush posted:

The cybertruck in my garage with a dead battery is now plugged into a 110 outlet around the corner with a 100 ft extension cord.

It has a 125 kwh battery so that oughta get him a fully charged battery in about five days. Maybe longer given the losses in the charger and the cable

It's not going to work out well for him. The mobile connector has a temperature sensor in the plug and with that long of an extension run it's going to get too hot for it to stay happy. lol. lmao.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

It's because its a Hilux and they can not die. That's it. That's the whole deal.
Plus Technicals.

Tacomas are north American specific trucks that came out in the mid 90s.

Bullshit. Tell me more about the bloodlust the 3vz has for timing belt parts including the idler with coolant flowing through it and headgaskets because of the stupid loving crossover pipe and redesigned asbestos free gaskets but not the torque specs.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

Bullshit. Tell me more about the bloodlust the 3vz has for timing belt parts including the idler with coolant flowing through it and headgaskets because of the stupid loving crossover pipe and redesigned asbestos free gaskets but not the torque specs.

The petrol V6 Hilux is for decadent Westerners, it's not what you find scuttling around farms or messy developing conflicts.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
ive done a HG on a 22RE, and they have that timing belt tensioner issue too. not like those are bullet proof either

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

ive done a HG on a 22RE, and they have that timing belt tensioner issue too. not like those are bullet proof either

Timing chain every 150k-miles and or it'll eat the loving timing cover mixing oil and coolant. Hmm yep, legendary alright.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*sits on cracker barrel*
*cracks a Hamm's tallboy*

Son, let me tell you about the timing chains on an 8-RC

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cursedshitbox posted:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The petrol V6 Hilux is for decadent Westerners, it's not what you find scuttling around farms or messy developing conflicts.

Yeah it's diesel boys that carry the legend of ~Hilux~, and anything related, including the "Toyota Pickup" as the Hilux was called here before the Tacoma showed up and cracked it's frame, is dragged along in that reputation. Even with the V6.

I have my doubts that any 3vzs were rolling around Chad during the Toyota War.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think it was mostly LandCruisers anyway which would have had a 2L or 2H

Toyota still sells brand new Hiluxes with the L series of engines where there aren't any emissions standards and reliability is more important than performance (they have like 95hp)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

I think it was mostly LandCruisers anyway which would have had a 2L or 2H

Toyota still sells brand new Hiluxes with the L series of engines where there aren't any emissions standards and reliability is more important than performance (they have like 95hp)
I would figure those Cruisers would have B series but I also don't know much about whatever Toyota did outside of Japan.

The Hilux that Top Gear couldn't kill was powered by the lowly 2L diesel, all furious 2.4L liters of it. All mechanical, stupid, slow, decently efficient but immortal.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that truck isn't twelve grand because of enthusiast nostalgia, it's twelve grand because it's low mileage and you haven't been able to buy a pickup that size and height new in twenty years, and when people actually buy a pickup to do actual revenue labor, half the time a modern pickup is a waste and a hassle compared to something like that, even at that price

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nitrox posted:

Alternatively, start putting your garbage in the back of the truck. If anyone asks, tell em it looks like a regular dumpster

I'm going to need some maniac to weld on some more stainless and turn it into a van. I feel like that's the only way to make it look less poo poo other than setting it alight.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm going to need some maniac to weld on some more stainless and turn it into a van. I feel like that's the only way to make it look less poo poo other than setting it alight.

https://www.smartsign.com/tenant-us...yhoCcrQQAvD_BwE

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I had a Hilux all through college with the 22r motor. It couldn't easily break 60 on account of the 4, the floor was rusted through the turn radius was "eventually" and if you had to stomp on the brakes I hope you didn't skip arm day because without power steering you are going to have to wrestle with it as it skips around and tries to murder you.and everyone around you.

However.

I paid 200 for it. Lasted me 5 years of college. It repeatedly would notify me of something broken by not starting but giving me a workaround. Starter motor dead? That's fine 2 college kids and a slight incline bamo. Distributor dead? Nonsense you just smash on it a few times kind of pry the contacts a bit and sure it's running on 2 but it'll make it to O'Reilly's. Battery's don't die it's just a good idea to remember an incline solves both battery and starter problems. Forget your key? No worries the steal me junction was like 2 wires.and whatever you could find that was conductive.

When I finally brought it to a mechanic to have a real tuneup done on account of idk some extra cash I had that semester the engine tested in factory specs for compression and had original clutch and transmission on it. With 230k miles.

Do not disparage the glory of those trucks. We were but poor beggars unused to the light of the machine god until verily they were given to us. Our eyes opened and we saw, there, the light and glory.

adaz fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 24, 2024

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It isn't like the Hilux got it's reputation from nowhere. That truck posted will absolutely go for that price. I've sold many an imported Hilux for far more than that and the people that want them are glad to pay it. People love Land Rovers and BMWs with all their faults and pay even more, why is it weird that a Toyota could?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Some people drink their own piss in the morning and are happy about it.

Different things work for different people. The truck served me right when I had it, but I also paid $2,000 for it, not $20,000, which is what people seem to ask for the stupid thing on bring-a-trailer or whatever. There's a whole lot of nostalgia-driven irrational price gouging out there, and that's what it ultimately comes down to. I would never belittle the truck and people who buy them, if it wasn't for that pricing disparity.

I sold mine for $1,800 and bought a single cab, manual 88? F-150 with a 302 V8, which was a loving beast, compared to Toyota. Yes it leaked and needed more maintenance, but it was more suited for actual construction work way more than the Tacoma.

Edit: we never had any Hilux badged trick, not diesel engine here in the US. It's unfortunate, really

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 25, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In the 90's when I was in the military a buddy of mine bought a brand new base model manual "Tacoma" because it was the cheapest thing on the lot. It was the same drat truck we used on the flightline when we worked (altho olive green lol), why he wanted one as a DD we never understood and gave him poo poo for it those things were horrible to drive for any extended period of time. Still better than Kei trucks tho which we had as well, why people would want to drive those as a DD I have no idea

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Because if you drive a kei truck you have a giant dong and you are a real man for deciding you don't like comfort.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 25, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

Because if you drive a kei truck you have a giant dongand you are a real man for deciding you don't like comfort.

I can stand behind this. I want a Kei truck or a Kei van.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

wesleywillis posted:

Because if you drive a kei truck you have a giant dong and you are a real man for deciding you don't like comfort.

That level of comfort is called spartan for a reason!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cactus Ghost posted:

seems like a regular household outlet should be enough to keep it from draining the battery at least

if it can't thats even funnier

A video review I watched mentioned that because the Cybertruck gets so much attention, it is constantly triggering surveillance mode and recording all the people walking up to it while it is parked. Enough that it's a big drain on the battery.

They also mentioned that a ton of people drive recklessly around them trying to film it while they are driving it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zero One posted:

A video review I watched mentioned that because the Cybertruck gets so much attention, it is constantly triggering surveillance mode and recording all the people walking up to it while it is parked. Enough that it's a big drain on the battery.

They also mentioned that a ton of people drive recklessly around them trying to film it while they are driving it.

lol, if anyone has installed a Ring doorbell you'll understand the drain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've also noticed that the Cybertruck in the garage makes a clunking noise like once a minute. It sounds like a door solenoid or something. What is it?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Has bring a trailer ever been a site for selling overpriced “restored” cars?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

In the 90's when I was in the military a buddy of mine bought a brand new base model manual "Tacoma" because it was the cheapest thing on the lot. It was the same drat truck we used on the flightline when we worked (altho olive green lol), why he wanted one as a DD we never understood and gave him poo poo for it those things were horrible to drive for any extended period of time. Still better than Kei trucks tho which we had as well, why people would want to drive those as a DD I have no idea
I've got a base model RWD pre-taco as my toy truck that ended up being my DD for about 18 months when our oldest got her license and inherited our Mazda 3. I'm a goonish 6'3, 280 lbs and while I'm not about to drive cross country in the thing, it's fine for driving around town. As a bonus, my wife and 2/3 of my kids hate it.

CommieGIR posted:

I can stand behind this. I want a Kei truck or a Kei van.
Same, but I'd need to sit in one first, because I literally may not fit. My dumb dream is to sell off my minivan when the kids are mostly moved out and get either an Acty/Sambar or a Hiace van.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I am a big fan of EV conversions, but uhhhhh maybe not like this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's a moderately dope looking concept if you spend 0 seconds thinking about center of gravity.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

That's what Miatas are for tho :colbert:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's like the laziest way to go about it other than towing batteries in the little trailer behind the car! I mean, just take out the back seats and fill that space!

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
I saw that posted on a car audio group, OP said it's a demo car that gets trailered to/from events. The wall of speakers that made up the doorcards seemed to corroborate that story.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Of course there's people in the replies defending how cheap these wheels are

https://twitter.com/SteakFrankhouse/status/1772048574819217789?t=Hk5dUq5JpUDvB24IIm7GHA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

WTFBEES posted:

I am a big fan of EV conversions, but uhhhhh maybe not like this.

It's not an EV conversion, it's a decibel racer

So actually worse