Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pitch posted:

Is this structure all die-cast aluminum? That seems interesting but since it's on the Cybertruck I assume it's bad.

That is just so unnecessarily complex, crap trapping with all sorts of easily damaged areas - it really is not something you wouldnt do for a truck meant to go offroad.

Also really hope the wiring going to the hubs is better protected when it's back together. The sway bar setup is pretty cool tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Pitch posted:

Is this structure all die-cast aluminum? That seems interesting but since it's on the Cybertruck I assume it's bad.

https://www.techradar.com/vehicle-tech/hybrid-electric-vehicles/here-s-how-gigacasting-will-make-your-next-ev-more-affordable
https://www.reuters.com/technology/why-are-other-automakers-chasing-teslas-gigacasting-2023-06-14/

It means more efficient construction, lighter weight, replacing dozens of welded together pieces with one casting. Elon claims using gigacasting in Model 3 let them remove 600 robots.

Downside is less repairability.

It's not just a Tesla thing, Toyota, GM, Hyundai, Geely and I believe BMW are also into it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BuckyDoneGun posted:

That's really buying the lede. Essentially stuff that is cast like that is unrepairable. If it is damaged in a collision, the vehicle is totalled, completely unrepairable and bound for a scrap yard. Gigacasting works great in a world where you never own your car though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

Gigacasting works great in a world where you never own your car though.

If you can't fix it you don't own it anyway, which is Tesla's specialty right down to the software.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

orange juche posted:

That's really buying the lede. Essentially stuff that is cast like that is unrepairable. If it is damaged in a collision, the vehicle is totalled, completely unrepairable and bound for a scrap yard. Gigacasting works great in a world where you never own your car though.

I’ve not done any real strength testing on them but I’ve welded a356 cast car parts fine. Is this an alloy that can’t be welded?

E: I couldn’t easily find what alloy used but saw several references to Si-Mg alloys so presumably it should be weldable. That’s not the only consideration in repairable but i think that’s what orange juche is getting at.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 30, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also "repairable" in this context means "repairable for less than the cost of total replacement"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

It means more efficient construction

Dubious

quote:

lighter weight

VERY dubious esp depending the design and materials

quote:

replacing dozens of welded together pieces with one casting

Thats possibly likely

quote:

Elon claims using gigacasting in Model 3 let them remove 600 robots

Well now we know that one is bullshit if the transphobic prick said it

quote:

Basically means the car is totalled even with light damage.

Also just taken from one of the articles -

quote:

Most body shops have done a poor job at embracing EV repair anyway – and that’s even before gigacasting comes into play. While lack of parts and training were an obstacle initially, that’s no longer the case. Like dealerships, body shops seem unwilling to evolve and adapt. Even though gigacasting makes structural repairs after a collision almost impossible, there are still plenty of opportunities for non-structural repairs (body panels, paint, trim, and glass).

Body shops are having huge problems repairing EV's, it's not some sort of reluctance to adapt. A Tesla for example is a huge prick of a job to do anything with especailly frame related. Replacing electronic parts is a nightmare if they dont have the right diag tools which more often than not are hideously expensive, windscreens are no longer just a cut out and replace, they have sensors and cameras and you got body computers and safety systems to contend with to boot in trim now too. So it's real loving objectionable that the article writer says poo poo like that when a body shop's job is far more difficult than it was 10 years ago

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what the gently caress is different that makes it GIGA casting. is it just the size of the molds? cause when they used to cast entire locomotive frames in one piece, it was still just called "casting"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That is an excellent question for Google to answer

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It’s musk trying the make fetchgiga a thing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Nitrox posted:

That is an excellent question for Google to answer

this post giga sucks

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cactus Ghost posted:

what the gently caress is different that makes it GIGA casting. is it just the size of the molds? cause when they used to cast entire locomotive frames in one piece, it was still just called "casting"

Marketing, which is the worst thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's a large, complex casting with a 90 second cycle time, which is quite amazing.

anyway some real stinkers here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTwkJELFUrQ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The difference between what Tesla is doing and locomotives is that the locomotive castings are sand castings, while Tesla's stuff is a gigantic die casting. We've been able to make enormous sand castings forever, since all you do is carve the shape you want into some oiled sand and pour in the molten metal. These giant die castings are made by injecting 600 lb of aluminum into a mold under pressure in a matter of seconds. The technology itself isn't new, but these are the largest die castings anyone has ever made.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Volvo was recently showing their two new "mega casting" die-casting cells (from Bühler), from one of the articles they were saying that they could die-cast one whole assembly that was previously between 75 and 100 separate components that had to be welded together, which translated to a time saving from 30 minutes per finished assembly to 2 minutes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah but volvo is a car company not a pc case manufacturer

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cactus Ghost posted:

It's in a gigafactory, QED

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Volvo was recently showing their two new "mega casting" die-casting cells (from Bühler), from one of the articles they were saying that they could die-cast one whole assembly that was previously between 75 and 100 separate components that had to be welded together, which translated to a time saving from 30 minutes per finished assembly to 2 minutes.

what part of the car is 100 components welded together other than the whole chassis and they're not casting that. even the most complex thing i could think of would be a subframe and that's usually one stamped piece with a handful of other stamped things welded on

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 30, 2024

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, I'm just quoting here.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cactus Ghost posted:

it's giga because giga means big to bazinga types

gigacasting... that must be better than megacasting...

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

The difference between what Tesla is doing and locomotives is that the locomotive castings are sand castings, while Tesla's stuff is a gigantic die casting. We've been able to make enormous sand castings forever, since all you do is carve the shape you want into some oiled sand and pour in the molten metal. These giant die castings are made by injecting 600 lb of aluminum into a mold under pressure in a matter of seconds. The technology itself isn't new, but these are the largest die castings anyone has ever made.

ooook that makes sense. well, no, it's still a dumb as hell word, but it's a sort of dumb i understand

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Body shops are having huge problems repairing EV's, it's not some sort of reluctance to adapt. A Tesla for example is a huge prick of a job to do anything with especailly frame related. Replacing electronic parts is a nightmare if they dont have the right diag tools which more often than not are hideously expensive, windscreens are no longer just a cut out and replace, they have sensors and cameras and you got body computers and safety systems to contend with to boot in trim now too. So it's real loving objectionable that the article writer says poo poo like that when a body shop's job is far more difficult than it was 10 years ago

There is such a huge liability fixing this poo poo...all of it. From the electronics/safety devices to the castings.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

it's a large, complex casting with a 90 second cycle time, which is quite amazing.

'Claymore Addon Package' is the real winning line here.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The cost of repairs on a modern car is like 4x of what it used to cost 12 years ago due to proliferation of cameras/sensors/general computerization. A front bumper now has multiple sensors embedded inside, just like radar/lidar/camera/sensor/heating elements are now part of almost every windscreen. Think what goes into a modern mirror assembly. Everything needs to be purchased as a unit, and then programmed possibly by the dealership.

It's not limited to ev's, it's just how cars generally are these days.

Teslas are specifically fucky, because you have to go through their designated network for replacement parts. And the wait times are measured in multiple months. Which is part of the reason why insurance companies would rather write off a mid grade repair on a Tesla, the same kind repair that would put Chevy/Ford/Hyundai back on the road, because it could be repaired relatively quickly. It was so bad at one point, that you couldn't insure Tesla with any carrier. In some places, you can only buy a policy through Tesla, and it's pretty darn expensive.

Edit: I can't for the life of me figure out why people would go out of their way to make up bullshit stories about Tesla failures, when the reality is wild enough to fill a whole circus.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

That first one is a doozy. Bets on what car it is?

Wrangler is my guess.

e: that HV wiring repair :staredog:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nitrox posted:

The cost of repairs on a modern car is like 4x of what it used to cost 12 years ago due to proliferation of cameras/sensors/general computerization. A front bumper now has multiple sensors embedded inside, just like radar/lidar/camera/sensor/heating elements are now part of almost every windscreen. Think what goes into a modern mirror assembly. Everything needs to be purchased as a unit, and then programmed possibly by the dealership.

It's not limited to ev's, it's just how cars generally are these days.

Im not anti-Tesla as much as I am anti-Elon. He can gently caress himself with a barbed wire hairbrush.

That said my partner ('22 Tahoe) tapped an SUV ('23 Santa Fe) in the parking lot about 9 weeks ago, front corner to rear corner. Santa Fe required no parts, all labor and paint, $1800. Tahoe required new bumper cover, paint, labor, $4200. Both cars were out of service for 3 weeks. A week and ~$1k each was getting sensors recalibrated.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The electronics aren't the only cause for high repair costs, the body itself can be problematic.

Years ago a Finnish car magazine did an article where they inspected several cars that had gone through crash repairs. I still remember the picture of the B-pillar of one car. It had looked pristine to the outside, but when they cut out the outer layer you could see a bar of high strength steel in the inside that was broken in two pieces. That car was completely not road worthy and it was impossible to tell without cutting it open.

These HSS bars are all over the body, so the traditional repair of pulling the body straight won't work, it will probably break the HSS worse than before. So the outer body layers need to be cut open to repair the inner components. But where do you find the same type of HSS bars and how will it behave when welded. And how many photos and videos do you have to take of the repairs so you can prove to the officials that the repairs are done correctly.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
In a shock to no one, Tesla FSD is hot garbage:

https://twitter.com/k_salberta/status/1783884142414790819?s=61&t=MeKtMj9Cg1XJ5ATjbofcTg
https://twitter.com/k_salberta/status/1783886403719291052?s=61&t=MeKtMj9Cg1XJ5ATjbofcTg
https://twitter.com/k_salberta/status/1783886898211041604?s=61&t=MeKtMj9Cg1XJ5ATjbofcTg
https://twitter.com/k_salberta/status/1783888789519155708?s=61&t=MeKtMj9Cg1XJ5ATjbofcTg
https://twitter.com/k_salberta/status/1783890253041873277?s=61&t=MeKtMj9Cg1XJ5ATjbofcTg
https://twitter.com/k_salberta/status/1783891599669227804?s=61&t=MeKtMj9Cg1XJ5ATjbofcTg

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Didn't Tesla stock jump a few days ago or last week because Musky went to China and was touting his FSD and otherwise opening up the Chinese market to his products?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Everyone's take on the China news was that they will allow Tesla to run FSD on public roads with no restrictions, because CCP doesn't give a gently caress about human lives. Somehow that's great for Tesla, so it's time to buy buy buy!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

About time, only surprised it took this loving long.

Can't wait for everyone trying to unload their Teslas because they can't afford the insurance anymore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

About time, only surprised it took this loving long.

Can't wait for everyone trying to unload their Teslas because they can't afford the insurance anymore

Really hoping the next step is NHTSA going "You know what, we're done - we're banning Tesla FSD."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
You know they're just going to drive them without insurance, right?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

The Door Frame posted:

If this means a gently caress ton of Tesla owners end up acting like sovereign citizen nutjobs, I can't wait for the videos of their interactions with the police.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

That's just gonna be great, especially as a lot of states now verify your insurance digitally to issue your registration, so you won't even be able to register your Tesla.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You buy insurance through Tesla, it's already a thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nitrox posted:

You buy insurance through Tesla, it's already a thing.

Which is kind of the NHTSA's point - Tesla's insurance is about to take a massive hit as they won't be able to defend against NHTSA statistics in court, and that's could honestly result in the inability to underwrite said insurance policies.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

That's just gonna be great, especially as a lot of states now verify your insurance digitally to issue your registration, so you won't even be able to register your Tesla.

Skill issue

The real trick is to get the insurance card and cancel right after

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Skill issue

The real trick is to get the insurance card and cancel right after
In my state, insurance cancellation triggers an automatic report to the DOT, who in turn, will cancel registration if updated insurance info is not provided within a short timeframe.

Might as well Photoshop yourself an insurance card, it'll be more effective.

And since the vast majority of cars are financed, and owned by the bank, insurance and registration are mandatory items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There might be a way around insurance issues if you can somehow prove you've permanently disabled or removed FSD completely from the hard drive but then Tesla would have to do that so lol

I can foresee a fuckton of Tesla owners clamoring to get that poo poo off my hard drive asap :v: