Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I can't decide which is more appropriate for the General Sherman, a Fiero or a Pinto.

Depends on how much of the South you want to burn down :v:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This thing will never see a drop of mud.

Also, I cringe every time I imagine having to pay to fill that thing up with fuel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

SKULLS EVERYWHERE BRO

Skulls for the Skull truck!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JerseyDevil posted:

Jeremy Clarkson would have a field day with this

It would probably make Richard Hammond cry

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Giblet Plus! posted:

I didn't know this before, but VWs have 17mm lug nuts. What is wrong with these people? Why would you put such small nuts on the wheels of a car?

You realize they used these same 17mm lug bolts on the Audi group B cars? I think they work just fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

My TDI golf has 140hp, 240lb/feet and gets 41 combined tank average :) It gets off the line just as well as my old 1.8t GLI did, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Just pisses me off that diesel has gone up over a dollar since I bought it a year ago.

The nice thing is even with the rise in price, it doesn't SEEM like I'm spending much more, it usually just adds maybe a couple dollars to my total cost to fill the tank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

I decided years ago that I'd rather get in my car and drive the 1000 miles home for Christmas than deal with all the fuckheads at the airport. Assuming no delays, flying only saves me about 5-6 hours, costs more, and I won't have my car when I'm home. I'm also almost guaranteed to be the guy stuck next to the 400 pound fatty and the collicy baby.

Agreed. Especially with the TSA, I'd rather jump in my TDI and drive cross country than fly. Its usually way cheaper and generally easier on me than flying is now days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Even at 4 bucks a gallon for diesel, it still only costs me about 100 bucks to drive 1000 miles. All depends on how fast I'm going. Last year I made it in 14.5 hours door to door, only averaged 31 mpg because I had cruise set at 90 the whole way. Coming home took 17 hours and I got 35mpg at 75 but had a 30mph headwind the entire loving way. Hoping to push it closer to 40mpg this year.

Had to do 1,400 miles from Cheyenne, WY to Atlanta, GA.

Total cost was $149 and I made it in 27 hours. Got about 43 MPG, but I too was cruising at about 85 MPH average.

I made the trip from Chattanooga, TN to Cheyenne, WY when I first joined the Air Force. Fuel cost for my Jeep Cherokee was somewhere in the ballpark of $450.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

holy hell there is a lot of :spergin: about dumb stickers and marathons and the ring in here.

That frame...:psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

I think it's more of the "My kid is better than your kid" mentality that pisses me off about bumper stickers.

That and the "I have opinions about things" stickers. I need a fuckenbroken sticker for the bug.

I have a Darwinfish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

este posted:

Note: the color in this picture is fine, that's just rust from the factory.

Cosmoline, like anything Russian

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

This is it, the search is over. This truly is the worst thing that can be done to a Miata.

Click the image above for a whole album! See how far you can make it without giving in to the desire to drink yourself blind drunk.

Someones Hot Wheels collection came to life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:clint:'The cops just drove by too.'

What a bunch of loving retards, and what a poor abuse of a couple of useful trucks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Holy crap, that was seriously insane. That much reckless disregard for someone else's vehicle even at a dick wagging contest is way too far. I was waiting for the rear axle of the Chevy to just be left on the ground.

Chances are something is at least damaged in the drivetrain.

I hope they got a good ticket for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

I think there comes a point when the Chevy bro should have realized he was just going to go for a ride, and popped it into neutral.

You see, the problem is that requires intelligent thought. And I don't think there was an intelligent thought among the lot of them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Jesus christ this one might even be worse than the Compton one. Gotta love that cop talking about how "all the street racers just use 4 cylinder so, you know, I can catch up to them with my charger. :smug:"

At least the LA one had cool cars.

I guess they've never watched WRC or WRX

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Devyl posted:

Not just that, but with the bottle not being at the proper angle, he's gonna be giving his local NOS filling station so much money... That whole set-up is just an abomination. Wow, holy poo poo:

Its just how a machine shop would do it! :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It's this video:
"VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs. Chevy Duramax Bumper pull"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

That video is particularly hilarious, has V10 TDI engine is rather powerful for its size, its got nearly the same torque as as 2010 Dodge Ram Cummins.

Too bad the V10 bit the dust due to emissions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

the v10 is 6 liters, the duramax is 6.6, it's not that large of a gap.

Its 5 liter twin turbo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#4.9.2F5.0_V10_TDI_PD_230-258kW

The 6 Liter is the V12 TDI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#6.0_V12_48v_TDI_CR_DPF_368kW

And that is even more powerful....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Memento1979 posted:

Someone tell me who won, because from what I can tell, everyone there already lost a long time ago.

The Touareg is the winner, the human beings in the film, if we can call them that, are just accessories.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

The most terrible thing here is the simple webbing rope that is being used to connect them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lovely autoparts store tow rope with metal hooks (:stare:) and fatigue from constant use in redneck pissing contests. I'm not wishing ill on them, but those things snap and whip around without much warning.

Its pretty common for them to use a tiedown for some reason.

And to contribute along those lines of stupidity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh9sMxVVVpw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Groda posted:

So, in principle, what should break first in a pull off? The clutch?

Depends, clutches in trucks are usually fairly strong, especially in trucks that have been heavily modified. Its usually something weaker along the drive train that'll go first, like the axles or transmission.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cenodoxus posted:

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4ubLMjgGU

Doesn't get good until 1:20. "Hurr, dealership told me I can do anything in my new H2. Imma cross this muddy lake!"

I just love pointing out that its a GMC Tahoe, not even really a Humvee relative.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I didn't even see the piece of wood in there....I just saw the rust and said that was enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

A lot of cars just straight up aren't available in anything but white/black/silver/grey. See: Hyundai / Kia. When I bought my Audi all the colorful, uh, colors were all special orders.

The Audi Coupe GT in the 80s were available in only White, Black, Grey, or Red.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

You can have it in any color you want, just so long as it's black.

There was a silver Saab in the background :ssh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

The apocalypse scenario happens often enough in northern Idaho. I had :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: pick me up from a town 30 minutes/30 miles away because I had stranded myself on my motorcycle at a friend's house because it snowed overnight. The snow started falling so heavily on the ride home that the 30 minute trip became over an hour. It was a four-lane split highway, and there were well over a dozen cars stuck in the ditch between the two, though some were half-covered with snow so they were probably crashed the night before. There were multiple semis stopped on the side of the road, and the only other car we saw was a state trooper in a Blazer. It dropped almost six inches of snow in that trip alone. Driving a white Ford Explorer with absolutely no other cars on the road in northern Idaho during a blizzard is an eerie experience.

At least she had her lights on the whole time.

I drove my Quattro 4k home in Wyoming one night after adding the rally lights to test them out and a good storm hit. Those lights made a hell of a difference, and so did the locking front and rear differentials.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bennyfactor posted:

Thought that the Porsche Cayenne was the last word in tarting up a Touareg? Three hundred thousand dollars says think again.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/a-mysterious-porsche-pampering-luxury-car-company-3OVeSt4PQwqWw4DE8~_uhw.html

If I can get a Touareg TDI with the V-10 or V-6 Diesel for less than $100k, how is the Porsche Cayenne supposed to be better?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

Because it has sportier exhaust and brakes, mahogany trim, a massive navigation unit, and an even larger sense of entitlement?

But I can tow a 747 with the V-10 TDI. What more could I want?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

That's a C6 interior.

This is the C7:

Edit: I like the center "oh poo poo handle" for the passenger. :)

Edit2: There should probably be a new Corvette thread.

Is...that 7 forward gears?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

I have yet to find an explanation, can somebody explain how it works in practice?

Also I see it has a rear mounted transmission, is there any mechanical linkage to the shifter?

I mean, why have 7 forward gears. Even in racing, you often barely touch 5th or if it exists 6th, is it for emissions or fuel mileage purposes? I could understand that, you could run the engine at lower RPMs to conserve fuel at much higher highway speeds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On the Porsches it's for fuel mileage.
e: f,b

Great. Now I want one for my TDI.

'Thats right baby, I idled all the way home. 100 Miles to the gallon' :smuggo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That's basically what I say to myself every single time I see a "mud truck".

Example:

Oh my god if one of those springs escaped...:stare: We have to tell the President.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Same, they have more staff parking than they do student parking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't let the clutch out so fast.

Its okay, every time it breaks down you can blame it on more Stalinist purges.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Faerunner posted:

Yeah, late 70s - early 80s bodies are probably the ugliest cars on the road

Get out.
:colbert:

And yes, I see you edited it, nice try.

To contribute.

The Roach Mobile

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 1, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Memento1979 posted:

Attention all douchebags, your Lord is in attendance. Click for big, if that floats your boat.

Might as well just put: "gently caress the environment, got money" on the windshield.

I wonder if this person has heard its a good time to invest in gold :smug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Faerunner posted:

That H2 doesn't get much worse than my Cherokee as far as fuel economy is concerned :(

If your Cherokee is getting 10MPG then something is seriously wrong or you drive it like a dog.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

None of those Hummers have the ridiculous oversize bulldog hood ornament BS going on. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, it's the same "oh that's cool? let's run this poo poo into the ground!" thing.

Sounds like it needs something, not sure what. O2 sensor been done recently? Plugs/wires/cap/rotor? Fuel filter? Air filter?

I picked up from 13mpg to 19mpg in my MJ (back when it was still stock... not a chance of seeing those numbers now) and an O2 sensor paid for itself in a couple weeks. Highest I ever turned out was 23.13mpg, all 55-65mph highway driving on summer gas with a clapped out automatic on stock tires/gears.

Even my XJ with a busted transmission controller and a manual converter lockup got 17.5-19 MPG easily.

He needs some maintenance done, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The new Jeep look.

:gonk: