Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meanwhile, BMW built a generation of cars that had their rear subframes mounted to some sheet metal that will tear like a piece of paper with a few chopsticks shoved through it and sold multiple motors across 13 years that need preventative rod bearing replacement

e: my bad, it was closer to 20 years
S50B32
S54B32
S65B40
S85B50

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where are the benevolent patent trolls to prevent this kind of asshattery

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
SuuuuHHHHdude

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Someone pranged a 962C. The thing pretty much exploded and the windscreen decided it didn't want to be bonded to the frame any longer. It didn't seem fast but dang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXUB8vVVVo

Dude got hosed by cold tires, rip

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fortunately we have electronics that sort the power out to the point that people can now just stab the right pedal down and hold on

Couple that with cars that have insanely high limits and it is a recipe for disaster when someone oversteps the grip limit with an abrupt spike rather than a normal smooth curve

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I thought I heard one of them say manji (drifting term, not the symbol) soooo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

I asked about ordering a new Miata Club with recaros in Soul Red and was basically told they can't actually order a new car, and they're at the mercy of however Mazda USA distributes new cars and trims. I found an Arctic White in this trim at allocated to a dealer that's about 2 hours away from me, but I sort of feel like if I'm buying myself my first new car, I want to get it in the color I like. My wife suggested just vinyl wrapping it a different color, but that sounds like it would be pretty expensive.
Man, just get the color you want.

I looked at wrapping my NB and the absolute cheapest I found was like $1700 between buying the material and the labor of a few quotes I got off of FB marketplace. I'm guessing a real shop that'll do it right is at least 2x that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
no, stop

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

That’ll do

Visual representation of the code I write

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Humphreys posted:

It's this, but customers not developers that have to do it:

lol gently caress that poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

they added this poo poo to the new BRZ

it's the only thing I actually dislike about it so far

Perhaps you can swap the stalk?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Didn't there used to be one? It was named toyobaru twins or something. Either way, yeah, seems like a handful of us have them now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.subaru.jp/brz/brz/cupcarbasic/index

Subaru, jesus christ, wtf?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No crossbracing? Bent lower front legs?!?! Rest of the car is awesome, cage is loving terrible.
Yeah, I am confused. At least build something that meets FIA so it can be used most places.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sorry, but I don't hate it. Looks pretty alright

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a friend that races a Colorado hail damaged Miata in Spec Miata. People have joked about protesting him over it

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've seen a few pictures of those priuses from other local people, so they do move

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i6*

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, the dial isn't bad with the Mazda radio setup, imo.

Long pressing the volume button on the BRZ turns the screen off and it remembers the setting when turning the car on / off. I haven't seen the screen turned on since the day I bought the car and sync'd my phone to bluetooth, thing is absolutely terrible to use.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I also chose to walk to school rather than take the bus when I was younger. I think I've become a rushed person as I've aged and have a hard time doing things the slow way. Personal problem.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Large Testicles posted:

One of the rare nice things about living in the US is that I'm pretty sure speed cameras are outlawed at a federal level.

We still have them here in Arizona

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Terrible car stuff rant - I'm so sick of the loving craigslist car flippers

Trying to replace my girlfriends Mazda 3 that got totaled out by an uninsured / unlicensed truck with an Agua Prieta, Mexico address (lol legit registered a few steps over the border) almost a month ago.

Two times now we've been on our way to buy another Mazda 3 at a reasonable price and get a text from the seller saying it isn't available anymore. Within a few days the exact same car with better pictures is listed up on the local Craigslist marked up 30-40%. poo poo happened again today and the dude even has the balls to say it is single owner.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Brb, buying a jetpack to fly to outerspace and suffocate myself

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

Even worse: this is what's happening in the housing market, too.
Yeah, it is pretty terrible in my area (Phoenix). You can go look at Zillow/RedFin and see houses that were $350k two years ago being listed at $750k in the last couple of months and selling. You can then go on the local tax assessor website and see that a lot of them are owned by the same companies.

I feel like it is some greater fool bullshit.

Also, I called this dude and he told me HE bought it from a flipper too. I gave him a number that was about $500 in profit and said if it came down to it he has my number. I hate being squeezed, but we also need another car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

And yet the newly announced macbook air is back to magsafe.

You can still charge them over USBC, I'm doing it using the same cable as the monitor output right now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I've run this track before, it is Apex Motorsports Park. You're required to buy a 1MM liability policy through OpenTrack before you go and it is more or less a country club style setup where the pit is covered by a roof and you've got caddies that check your tire pressure / blow off your brakes / etc when you come off track.

The straight he went off at is super long and not normally run in that config, there is usually a chicane towards the end to cut speed.

That said, lol.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
according to goons, it turns out that everyone that isn't yourself sucks, and even then it might be that everyone sucks

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It looks like a modern take on a testarossa, it is kind of a mess overall

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Because gently caress nazis, op.

Agree

I only watch the teardown stuff of Precision Transmission but there has never been any hint politically, I don't see a reason to bucket them based on being in the automotive industry and living in Texas.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 1, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lmfao

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love buying cars from serious autocrossers, they've usually got the expensive poo poo already on there and the cars are usually well taken care of since they see so little time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Naive question, but if there is no profit as incentive how do you drive innovation / investment to improve a service or infrastructure? Would that mean the government is in charge of incentivizing it somehow?

I'm for the overall idea, I just don't know how it would work. I feel like overall min-maxing is a root of evil, for sure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

builds character posted:

Same question but with profit.

What do you mean?

e: ah, I see what you're saying now after Mathlete's reply below. Yeah, ugh.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 8, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The only argument I've seen around that is the Elise/Exige, which some orgs allow in w2w without door bars due to the tub/aluminum extrusion. Either way, just lmao.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

elon high as gently caress posting that, meanwhile engineering team like
they sold what?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
its alright, they can just stick more rubber under the car, add power, and spend more time developing electronics to keep the car on the road

who cares if it kills a set of front tires in a weekend

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Returned: Cannot replicate

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A good pho place got torn down to build the one in Tempe, Az :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
another comment in that post (https://www.reddit.com/r/CX50/comments/10tw7wx/mazda_collects_your_driving_habits_and_use_it/)

quote:

This is concerning. What are you planning on doing next. I thought I read a post recently of a guy who towed and drove over 4k rpm, something happened and Mazda denied warranty.
lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's not, but it's a great excuse to deny a warranty claim apparently

I'd be asking to get that in writing :lol: