Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Good god those are literal whale tails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was happily convinced that was a Civic until you pointed it out. Thanks.

These are a fairly expensive mod for early GD Subarus but I just can't stand them at all:

Looks like a spider with one of those silly golf hats.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Reichstag posted:

Or you could bike? Or consider the enormous resource and safety cost of personal motorized transit as part of the equation.

It would take me 90 minutes and 4 buses to get me to work which is 9 miles away. Unfortunately there are places where a car is almost required to survive. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hitze posted:

Unfortunately?!
Yes, unfortunately. I love cars, I love my car, I love tinkering, I love planting the go pedal down and rowing through gears but Jesus loving Christ I would love to just hop on a train to work and read a book while it shuttles me around in an efficient manner. I'm only 30 and am completely burned out on rush hour traffic, especially in a city with absurd urban sprawl problems like Phoenix Metro. Like Guinness said, I love driving but I hate hate hate hate hate having to drive.

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a lot of friends from Phoenix (west side) that live without cars. It can be done. :v: That said, I am DD most nights when I party with them.
It's possible but it's a huge pain in the rear end. My fiance doesn't drive and many many moons ago I lost my license for a month and nothing really prepared us for it. You realize just how far you drive for basic things like groceries, supplies, employment etc. It certainly explains why there are so many uninsured drivers here and the absurd levels of shitacularness of many vehicles here as well. I love walking and biking but 9 miles is a touch out of reach considering my health (bum leg).

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 26, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Valley Metro can eat my rear end, though I'll continue voting for every time they ask for money in hopes that one day the system might not be useless.

Me too. It's a race to see which happens first; Valley Metro becoming useful or I finally move out of this poo poo hole.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The day my car rolled off the assembly line and a smiley face are written on the inside of my front bumper cover. :3:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Irony: Today they announced a bus service for far enough east that I could actually avoid driving the first leg of the trip.

It'd still be two hours each way, when I spend less time than that round trip even in the worst of rush hour.

I'd put up with the extra time if it was the light rail. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kastein posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...9#ht_824wt_1165

I would copy the images over but my web dev skills are lacking and they pulled some kind of a trick that means I can't get a url to rehost. It's a ten foot tall "show truck" with a truly useless rear suspension.

If you're using Chrome the imgur plugin has a right click option that lets you click/drag a selected area and it auto hosts it. Very slick.

There's probably a Firefox equivalent.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The cherry on top is that it looks like an Uncle Mike's holster. Probably 5 bucks after tax and they snag on literally anything.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Collateral Damage posted:

The bonnet makes it suitable for this thread though.

Nothing a rattle can of AutoZone's finist couldn't fix in 5 minutes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have an irrational hatred towards this crap.

and I have no clue why only imgur is rotating this thing. It looks fine everywhere else.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Das Volk posted:

I don't think there's anything irrational about not liking it when people ruin their cars performance and safety for the sake of looks/being "in" on the "scene"

There was a short video of a Z that had been hellaruined slamming into another scenester car on the freeway after the bead broke, and I wish I could find it now.

The best part? A Nürburgring decal right above the fart cannon. The rim in the picture was also the one in the best condition. I couldn't tell if he just curbs it everywhere or if the rim is bouncing off asphalt any time he takes a turn any faster than 2mph. loving tool.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nitrogen posted:

Nope, this is A Thing. IT's forty bucks.
http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/

Oh God it is a thing. :stare:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

This owns. I would drive it everywhere.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

impsycho posted:

Why didn't he just flip them upside down? At least then they would be going the right way and I'm sure upside-down flames wouldn't be as noticeable as backward flames.
:thejoke:

Here, have a Beetle on a Jeep frame.

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/3200243316.html

Needs pretty much everything.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

JaysonAych posted:

I was going around the east side of Cincinnati on 275 about 5 or so years ago, and there was a 1st-gen Stratus ahead of me with a smashed-up front end, but had a new color-mismatched hood badly tied to the roof for future replacement. Several seconds after passing him, I look in my mirror to see the ropes come loose, and the hood loving sail 15 feet in the air above him, arcing gracefully backwards before slamming down on the highway as traffic scattered all over the place. It was amazing that no one crashed.

Replace "bumber" with "box spring" and I've seen this more than once on the US60 and I-10. Also, one couch that nearly killed me.

:v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Safety Dance posted:

There should be a service called "My Friend Who's Good With Cars," where, for like $20 a month, a car-knowledgeable person will come by once a quarter and take 'er for a spin, perform a basic inspection, provide recommendations and note the mileage. They'll call you up and remind you about oil changes, and you can call them up and ask even the most retarded car-related question and receive an honest answer with no judgement.

gently caress this poo poo forever because it's basically the only reason people ever get ahold of me on Facebook any more.

"Hey my car is doing X. What do I do?"
"Oh I recommend doing F, L and G. Check S while you're at it."
/ignores advice forever.

I recently had a friend completely ruin a late model Malibu by running with a blown lower intake manifold gasket for years. I told him what the problem was, my cost to fix it (half of his quoted shop labor price plus I'd let him use my parts discounts) and my availability. Nope. Imma just drop gallons worth of Stop Leak into it until magically gets better.

The other week my boss took me to lunch and I noticed her car cranking a touch slow. I recommend she have the battery tested/replaced. Nope. Cue 3 days later when I'm driving her to a parts store for a new battery and missing some meetings.

People treat cars like poo poo and it's eerily familiar to how less technically inclined family members treat their children/siblings/etc if they have any idea how a computer works. 8 million problems that were easily solved early on but at this point have festered into a cancerous poo poo demon that isn't worth the time, money or stress to help them fix.

My default answer to car/computer questions these days is basically "hosed if I know, call an expert. i'm just a nerd / shade tree mechanic that drinks to much".

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 23, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The only truck I see more of in AZ than King Ranches are Raptors. For a specialty vehicle I'm surprised at how common they are here.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BlackMK4 posted:

was it a red SRT4?

I remember that guy. So glad I fell out of contact with most of the 2nd run SRT crowd.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

veedubfreak posted:

Looks like someone went to Discount tire.

(fuckers have so far stripped 3 lugs in 3 separate hubs out of 2 cars)

They snapped one of my wheel studs on the Neon off last year. I know it happens sometimes but between that and their never improving service when it comes to the actual car (watched them drop a friend's truck half way off a lift) I just end up putting the car on stands and bringing the wheels to them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My God. That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. :stare:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I want to push it over.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Veeb0rg posted:

http://www.hightechscience.org/sparrow.htm

They used them in the last austin power movie. They're apparently a bit of a rarity.

quote:

13 sealed "Optima" batteries weighing 46 lbs each / Total pack weight: 598 Lbs. Six are located under the front hood and the remaining 7 are under the drivers seat.
Hahahahahaha

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lowclock posted:

Trapper Keeper

Nostalgia bomb. :3:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Deeters posted:

Now I want to see something like this, but with a brotruck and a lifted trailer.

I love this picture so much. Owns.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

`Nemesis posted:

Not pictured: the diamond plate hood.

Look at how wrong you are.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

These own so hard.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DropShadow posted:

Some more photos of the A4 Avant "rat rod" popped up over on Audizine:

This is what vehicles in Fallout 4 will look like more than it's a rat rod.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
dat bench.

Both of them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Holdbrooks posted:

Hah that del sol is a legend here in AZ, It's everywhere.

Legend indeed, I see it every morning on Baseline. A shame to it for sale and I might not see it anymore. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Happened in my `03 celica. Single most terrifying moment of my life. For a split second, I thought I was dead.

The astute observers will notice tape on the edge of where the hood would be. It got backed into in a parking lot, and wouldn't latch fully, and was just stuck on the second latch. I already knew the car was gonna end up dead on that island (gently caress guam and the navy) so i made myself an impromptu "air dam" out of tape. It worked surprisingly well for over a year, until... BANG

:stare:

You poo poo yourself, right? Pretty sure I would have poo poo myself.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Described as "New return line" on Facebook, but this looks like shoddy work to me. I don't know a ton about the car, but its some sort of built up turbo Civic. Seems like this will be in the mechanical failures thread soon enough.

Not the greatest of angles for an oil return line so he's going to get buildup after awhile and it will eventually stop draining out of the CHRA. I'm hoping at very least he gets some clamps on there though. :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

parrhesia posted:

I think it looks good, but the back is way too busy.

Either way, I love it just because of the massive amounts of sperg and nerdrage it inspires in German car site posters. ~Hurr durr terrible American engineering only 450 hp from such a big V8 oxcart suspension and plastic body and no class unlike :siren:MY PORSCHE:siren:~

It's amazing.

~~~~* lift off oversteers into a tree *~~~~

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Apparently someone was working on their car in the inside breakdown lane on I17 during evening rush hour. (Phoenix goons: I avoid the 17 like the plague, is there even an inside breakdown lane there?)

It got plowed into by a fullsize truck.

I-17 inside the 101 is loving terrifying and no, there really isn't a breakdown lane on it. Just a shoulder barely wide enough to fit a Miata into.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, there's sections of I-17 that are walled off like that too. Add in its incredibly narrow lanes and it's enough to make me say nope nope nope. It was built in the 70's and it really hasn't been touched since. I can't imagine Detroit 70's sleds on that freeway doing 50+ on it. :stonk:

I'll take surface streets for 20+ miles before I use that death trap.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 18, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

eberbs posted:

E: The ignition barrel was punched out and jammed the steering on the corner.

Oh Christ. :ughh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
After getting a properly fit front I'd roll the poo poo out of that. Owns.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
What's wrong with the Dart platform, aside from using it for an SUV (which is pretty dumb I agree)?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Holy poo poo that used to be an MR2. That literally just occurred to me, without clicking the ad I thought it was a 240SX.

Me neither now that I know what it is. Just scrolling over it quickly my brain said "destroyed 240SX, human tragedy beyond all comprehension" and didn't even register the targa top.

I did the exact same thing except my brain said "Destroyed Probe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

veedubfreak posted:

It looks like a dog that took a poo poo on the floor and knows that it's going to get beat when they find it.

One can hope.