Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hashal posted:

He should buy a headlight restoration kit. That yellow really kills the look hes going for...

They're not yellowed from UV damage, it's actually a thin coating of dried blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hashal posted:

I could have sworn I saw something where pretty much any car is a shell in a modern day movie.

Ask Lobsterboy. :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DefaultPeanut posted:

Don't fuel octanes go from lowest to highest left to right? Or is that just a :canada: thing?

Except Shell, which does it backwards, presumably so you'll punch premium by accident and not notice.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Code Jockey posted:

Oh gosh whatever could be under the censor strip :allears:

drat MUDDERS

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It's not that tall. Reach up to grab the steering wheel with one hand (or the oh poo poo bar if passenger), roll cage with the other hand, foot on one tire and shove yourself up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Can't wait until I can pick one of these up at auction for a song, and get in on that sweet LS3 action. I don't think I've seen any around here though... (California)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

They don't use the LS3, they use the 6.0 L77.

Oh. Huh. For some reason I recall that they were going to have the LS3 in them, drat. The L77 is cathedral port, isn't it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter, most caprices out there will likely be the 3.6 V6, the same as the last gen impala. I don't think i've seen a single hemi charger police car, they've all been v6s.

I... Really? I could have sworn all of the ones around here were V8s, judging by the dual exhaust, but I can't say I've ever seen under the hood. You're making me question everything I thought I knew.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

get ready for open diff, V6, 4000lb sedans.

The world is truly a less vibrant one than it was a few minutes ago.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It doesn't help that the '70 Mustang was already one of the best looking pony cars, it's my favorite year for Mustangs. Then they went and did... that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Did the '70 have the rear quarter side vents like that? GIS'ing suggests that was only on '69.

The only change (other than paint) is the front fascia and hood, which makes me thing it took a hit in front and the owner got creative rebuilding it.

Hmmm you're right. Front end is '70, it's definitely a piece of work. 'Course, not to mention the Cougar tails and all the other stuff he's done.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Are his front rear inner fender liners (Did I do that right? The front set of rear wheels, not present) his fuel tanks? That can't be good for suspension articulation.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nitrox posted:

I drove a manual PT for a while, it was docile as gently caress. Don't think that manual = better than

Aren't they basically a neon? I thought those were almost acceptable with a stickshift if you try to wring its neck every moment. Too bad about the rest of the car, though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of manuals vs automatics, I was at a local car show last weekend and goddamn if there weren't a ton of automatics there. Is this just an old man thing, that these guys prefer to have an automatic? My Studebaker has an automatic but I want to swap the transmission as soon as I can. Manuals are just a hell of a lot more fun. I've actually been a bit surprised at how many old automatic cars you see around, even back to the 50s.

They also seem to like putting modern seats into the cars, which I'm also assuming is an old man thing.

I think it's just that most cars made in the 60s were autos, unless it was an AI type car like a Corvette (which you still could get with an auto, for those with ~delicate tastes~). How many stickshift 5th gen Camaros do you see? Probably about the same ratio that people bought back then too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's so... sad. :saddowns:

It might not look completely stupid without the negative rake on the grill. What the hell?

Tilt hood! :haw:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Costco puts it in everything, for what it's worth. But yeah I just use my air compressor at home if I need to adjust, air is already 70% nitrogen anyway....

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oh nooooooo not the blue six fo! I really hope the guy has insurance, that car is totally fixable! Or are you just sick to think about it and want to be rid of it?

Something similar happened recently to my truck, the light of my life, but it was parked:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
My first car was a '65 Impala. Small world. I regret that I haven't sold it, because it's ugly and I keep putting money into it for some reason.

Glad you're fixing your '64, it is one of my favorite cars on these here forums. You've got a lot of work into that car and it was in such great condition. It's impressive how much physical and emotional damage someone can do in a moment of inattention.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Budget Monty posted:

I have also had a '65 2 dr. hard top. That was one of the worst part of tonight's events for me. The guy was apologetic, but acted no differently than if he had hit a 1988 Chevy Cavalier. I didn't say anything, didn't want to be douchy, but I felt like some recognition of what he had actually damaged was deserved. He could see how mad I was, and I am large (6"6"/270#), I felt he was just worried about getting beat up, and didn't truly give a poo poo. Pretty angering as it is my most prized possession, and likely the most valuable thing I have ever owned.

I'm in kind of the same boat with my truck, except the guy didn't have insurance but gave false information to the police so was not charged with anything. I admit though, I was more heartbroken than angry when I first saw it. That could be because mine was hit while parked and I was sleeping, so I didn't get to see the guy's offhand cavalier attitude towards ruining my favorite thing. This might all change once I try to get money out of him. You did the right thing, calling insurance right then and there to verify information and take his statement.

I'd say "kids these days!" but that probably isn't the real problem behind people's lack of respect for other people's property.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The King of Swag posted:

People driving around without car insurance are the biggest pieces of poo poo and I legitimately hope they die horrible deaths, because in my head, they're only a hair-step above child molesters. Now here is the point in real life where people usually get real upset at my stance, but my reasoning is clear. People driving around without car insurance are ticking time bombs; they usually don't have insurance because they don't have a license, have had it revoked and/or their insurance canceled for being such terrible drivers, or for various other reasons that still mean they need to stay the gently caress off the road, and I don't accept too poor as an excuse. If you can afford to run a cheap and lovely econobox car, you can afford insurance to keep it on the road. It's only a matter of time before every one of these uninsured poo poo-heads hit somebody. Sometimes lady luck pulls their rear end out of the fire and it's only a minor accident they can weasel out of (like the uninsured poo poo that hit my dad a few months back), other times it's a serious accident but lady luck still manages to somehow pull their rear end from the fire and nobody is hurt (like what happened to my uncle about a decade back. It was a miracle he survived let alone without serious injuries). But sometimes they roll snake-eyes, and they kill a family coming home from the movies, or kill a bunch of kids being driven by a soccer mom to a soccer game. Then they run; make no mistake, they'll run in any of these instances, but they will never run so hard or so far as they will when they kill somebody. They will run your loving kids over in the street, look them in the eyes as they die, then drive away as fast as they can.

They are only a hair-step above child molesters, and they keep sinking lower every day.

Believe me, I'll be taking this shithead who hit me to court, and I don't quite believe that he's too poor either considering he had a fairly recent car, '08 Scion of some variety according to the police report. Not a total shitbucket (the car, not the driver). It surprised me to hear that he didn't run after hitting my truck, but I think that might be because it tore off his front left wheel. Talked to the cops and everything! Too bad he gave them an expired policy number.

Still, I'm all for personal responsibility, anyone who isn't monetarily prepared to fix what they break shouldn't be driving.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Fuuuuck. Those are X-frame too, so that's easy to tweak. Still, anything can be fixed, and those cars are worth a good chunk of money so it might not be considered a total loss. But those tweaked quarter panels do not look good. It's amazing what a frame shop can do, though; how attached are you to this particular car as opposed to a replacement painted to match with the hydraulics swapped over?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I wonder if that's what people mean when they talk about "getting a caddy hood ornament" :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I don't see any plates at the bottom of the cage either, for it to be bolted or welded to the floor. Is... is the cage just being held in by the backs of the seats? :stare:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Must be nice to have 4 wheel discs and ABS brakes eh? I'll tell you, though, you guys complaining about ABS must never have driven 4 wheel drums. Every rainy day is a 50/50 chance I am going to die. Seriously. There's the lackluster stopping power, the heat buildup, the inconsistent brake feel, the VERY consistent brake fade, nearly complete inability to brake when wet and the ever present danger of both brake lockup (which is easy enough to achieve that you can definitely "accidentally" do it) and catastrophic brake failure (one master cylinder). ABS and modern discs are godsend as compare to my 50 year old braking system, and unless you're racing your car I find it hard to believe that there's a good reason not to have them.

Sounds like you need to upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder, new tires, and to not follow so closely. Old cars are fine if you keep them somewhat safe and drive them appropriately.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

WHo cares what others think, it's about what I think. For me driving an old car is about driving it as it was meant to be driven at time of manufacture. I'm complaining objectively. I drive superbly with what's in place, but I know just how superior discs would be. But I can't bring myself to do the conversion.

Yeah, I just meant keeping the drums and replacing the master cylinder. I took the master cylinder off of a '69 Chevelle with 4-wheel drums, along with its proportioning block. Had to make a few lines and get some adapters, but it took me all of a weekend. You don't have to upgrade to Corvette C6Z brakes or anything. But you can. Those kits totally exist. It's just possible to do it cheaply and easily with factory parts, too.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 10, 2013

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I thought the 5.3 was 325CID? Wrong bore/stroke to be a "real" 327 anyway.

E: That is to say, it's not a big bore short stroke type deal.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

88h88 posted:

Anyone wanna take a guess as to what those anodised blue things are??

What could they possibly be besides NOS bottles?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

Cable was too short

That's so close to understanding how a crimp works, without having an actual full lightbulb moment, I'm impressed.

E: Or are the strands intertwined? Looks kind of too skinny for that

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I guess I'll go ahead and open that can of worms. Why didn't he just clutch in and turn it off? I understand the argument that non-car-people don't think about such things, but there's no way that a person who built his own goddamn street-rod isn't mechanically minded.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chinatown posted:

Honestly looks like they got real lucky given the damage/area.

Still ran over a dude. I would imagine it would really hurt being run over by something that low, when the front of it is all belts and chrome.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PromethiumX posted:

Seeing as how he was indoors he probably didn't have more than 20' to react. I'm guessing that car at WOT can cover that distance faster than anyone can react.

I agree, but the only time you'd be going WOT indoors to begin with is when you're showing off with the clutch already in, or just beginning to slip it. But I guess if you don't regularly drive it you might not be used to how things "usually" feel and sound, so he might not have realized what was going on until too late. Doesn't look like that car gets driven much.

E:

Terrible Robot posted:

I see I've been beaten to this but here's my take:

Most hot-rods like that tend to have automatic transmissions and regular unassisted drum brakes, making catching a runaway like that a bit more difficult, especially factoring in reaction times and the short distance they had to stop anyway.

Do they? All the shows I've been to (which isn't many, and is usually muscle cars rather than street rods) seem to have an overwhelming amount of stickshifts, and it seems to be because they want to be able to blip the throttle a bunch while travelling at 5mph.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I guess it makes sense that if someone is going to be quibbling about a buck or two every time they fill up, they aren't going to want to spend on extravagances like wheels made out of aluminum, or other not-completely-necessary items?

But, for some reason, they're buying a new car. I guess that doesn't make sense after all.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
At the JC I used to attend the parking spots were pretty drat small. I measured once, there was a sum total of 10" between my rear wheels and the lines. I took pictures, I'll look for them.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echoplex posted:

8 less rare Corvettes in the world:

What are the odds of a skinkhole just eating up a car museum?

At least the only interesting one (besides the late model ZR1, which is replaceable) seems fairly unhurt.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Girlfriendchat, she's probably moving across the country this summer for grad school, and I intend to move with her. She already has a car and I have 2 bikes, so I may... have to... sell the Studebaker :(

That's my terrible car stuff. I intend to list it at a price that will give me a good price if I do sell it, but I kind of like this car drat it. But I like her better, I guess.

Sell the motorcycles to pay for transporting the car where you're going?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If the other car's just a Camry, sell it and buy another one when you get there? That's like the most interchangeable car there is.

Disclaimer: I'm single.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

metaxus posted:

And you're going to all this trouble? To hell with them. You're leaving.

I'd agree, except for the fact that they could call down the fury of the law upon him; it's probably best to just lay low for a month or two until it's no longer a problem.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

veedubfreak posted:

At least it's a GT :)

I was going to say, at least it's not a red V6 automatic convertible.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Those look like diamond racing steelies, with some sort of centercap thing.

They're probably Cragar D-windows:

E: Actually, looking at the front one, it looks like it has round holes.
So it's probably a Cragar Soft 8:

Neat wheels, available up to 17x9. I plan on getting a set for my Chevelle, once it is worthy of having wheels.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I can't imaging what its like to deal with California horse poo poo

California doesn't have safety inspections. They just check that the original smog equipment is still present when they do their sniffer test. Keeps you from doing some more interesting motor swaps, but why would you want to own something newer than 1975 anyway?