Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Oh God, it's like a British bosozoku. I honestly have no idea how to react. Do I laugh? Do I cry? Both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Classy. Real classy.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

shoopeach posted:

germans love corvettes, its basically an exotic over there.
No, it's perceived as a car for pimps and people who can't afford a real sports car (i.e. a Porsche) but desperately want to go fast in a straight line, because Corvettes clearly can't corner.
The Corvette has a terrible image in Germany and this isn't helping.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Does this happen elsewhere? I've never heard about it happening in Germany, although most cars here aren't automatic, so the chances of it happening are stasticially smaller. Right now, I can only remember cases from the US but I'm not sure whether that's faulty memory, selection bias through media consumption or an indicator of just how terrible American drivers actually are.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MikeyTsi posted:

No? If I recall this whole dumbshit "hellaflush" thing started to get around the requirement that the tire tread couldn't be outside the wheel arch in some European country, and some bozos are just too cheap to widebody a car so they can run phat rimz.

Apparently Wikipedia doesn't have an article on this, but I think its thoughts on what it could be is pretty amusing:

That would be Germany. However, the biannual inspection has pretty strict regulations on how much negative camber you can run as well as how low you can go. They generally don't measure if it's just a little bit of camber and if you are roughly above the minimum ground clearance, but the kind of extreme bullshit you regularly see in the US would get you failed immediately.
They'd likely force you to have your entire suspension measured and certified at an approved shop and then you'd have to get inspected again. All in all, that's probably a four-figure sum right there.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
That's actually a legitimate company and the guy who founded the car company owned that company as well. :eng101:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

djdanno13 posted:

I love that A4, especially when you see it as a troll on the "custom" motor world. It's powered by a two stroke Trabant engine and has wood seats. It's so horrible it's awesome. Not to mention he just used the shell of a burned up A4 to make it, if only all travesties could turn into cool looking rolling junk art.

Yeah, it really is just a troll show car project. Seeing as it's from Germany, this thing wouldn't be allowed for a second on any public street (not that normal rat rods ever would be either). If you look at the license plate it has (in the right place, not the giant amount covering or replacing a fender), it's actually an old one from the former GDR. I'm not even sure if the motor can actually power the wheels, but even if it does, it would only ever be used to drive onto or off a trailer.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I just stumbled over this on some other website and all I can say is: Someone take away this dude's photoshop before an actual Singer ends up like that.

You can also totally tell it's a photoshop because the plastic those fenders are made of isn't wavy, as would be the case with a true RWB Porsche.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

GutBomb posted:

It's not for the street, I don't really see what's wrong with it.

It's the fact that someone took a Singer Porsche, essentially the best and most obsessive resto-mod (if you can even use that term for a Singer) available for a 70s Porsche and combine it with RWB elements, the latter of which are produced by sawzalling away fender metal, screwing/riveting on ridiculously wide plastic fenders into whatever is left and then slap on huge spoilers and stickers. All of this is produced by chain-smoking Japanese dude in a garage, who also happens to have a penchant for drinking a fuckton of terrible beer while working.

Don't get me wrong, RWB Porsches can be kind of cool in a really ridiculous sort of way, even if I think the name is emblematic for the entire product in that it looks and sounds kind of cool until you realize that it literally means nothing and obviously has just been cobbled together out of cool-sounding/looking parts.

Anyway, :words:, Singers and RWBs don't match is my point.

Godholio posted:

What's the cupholder in the hood for?
It's for the gas tank, I think.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I think it looks good, but the back is way too busy.

Either way, I love it just because of the massive amounts of sperg and nerdrage it inspires in German car site posters. ~Hurr durr terrible American engineering only 450 hp from such a big V8 oxcart suspension and plastic body and no class unlike :siren:MY PORSCHE:siren:~

It's amazing.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Agreed, the labeling is the problem, not the meat. Horse is delicious. :colbert:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
That truck owns.

Pseudonym posted:

Clearly the second one is 'art', but still, :stare:

I'm pretty sure that Audi isn't art, at least not purposefully so. I can't find the news article, but I think I read somewhere that this was an act of revenge. There are other images on the web that show confused police officers standing next to it:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
And Brembos for that iron grip.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's a bunch of remarkably unfunny cartoons about BMWs.

http://www.autoneuroticfixation.com/2013/01/typisch-bmw-fahrer-cartoons.html

I mean I don't want to jump immedietly to any national stereotypes, but really?

Hey now, don't you dare insult the time-honored German tradition of making fun of BMW drivers!

Seriously though, that cartoonist isn't very funny and keeps recycling the same 5 or so jokes. The terrible translation doesn't help, though.
The way I see it, the only reason he still produces these cartoons is because they get published in what is arguably the worst car magazine in Germany (and also ironically the best-selling one).

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I get being proud of your new born child but this might be taking it a tad too far.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MrChips posted:

You know what's not sad about it? That car is worth so much there's no way it won't be rebuilt. :)

Yeah, it's in good hands already. The dude who crashed it is a mechanic for one of the premier Merc restoration shops in Germany. :v:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MrChips posted:

Hope it's not a customer car then, or that he's found not at fault.

Of course it was a customer car and the mechanic rolled it on a "test drive" going too fast into a corner on a rainy street. But yeah, the garage's insurance will cover it and the owner is apparently pretty chill about it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

kastein posted:

It's not just idiot truck bros with grasshopper lifted diesels, either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHODg5091U

:cripes:

It's poo poo like this that makes me glad we have regular inspections and a fuckton of regulations.

I mean, I kinda get where those people are coming from because at one point in my life I also thought that cars and trucks smoking a lot was cool, because clearly more smoke equaled more power. But I was also 6 at the time.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

SlapActionJackson posted:

48 lbs/hp :aaa: That's not much better than a kid's scooter. And you take it on the highway? You're a braver man than I.

The 200D (that's 55hp, later 60hp) in that same car was called "rolling wandering dune" in Germany. :v:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Skipopatomus posted:

This video is terrible and involves a car but the car is not what makes it terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yfjBO6PXJY

Holy poo poo the other videos of this guy :psyduck:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

G-Mach posted:

As someone from Wisconsin it looks like a truck from Wisconsin and the Wisconsin accent is awesome. Jah der hey! My family still speaks german so my wisconsin accent is pretty thick.

http://www.folklib.net/history/scansin.shtml

This is hilarious to a German. Several of these are literal translations of things you'd say here, terrible grammatical structure and all.

Also, I believe that page is trash talking sheepshead and that will not stand. Sheepshead owns bones (Doppelkopf is still better, though). :colbert:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

KozmoNaut posted:

They did it because by law in most of the EU, the tire tread cannot extend past the fenders. So you put a narrow tire on a wide wheel, that way you can have stupid wide wheels and lots of poke, while still staying within the letter of the law.
Actually, these days, not only the tire, but also the edge of the rim can't extend past the fender, so you don't see that as much these days. Usually, people stretch the fender as well, since that's the easiest way to comply with the law and have your car legally registered.

Stretched tires are even more complicated because tires have to be legally approved by the manufacturer for the rim dimension you want to use. Obviously, most manufacturers don't certify stretched tires. Without the approval from the manufacturer, it's basically impossible to register your car.

And even then, at least in Germany (where the VW tuning scene supposedly gave birth to the idea of tire stretching as far as I've heard), the inspector has a certain amount of personal discretion. Crazy stretch, such as the one you see on some American cars, simply won't fly here.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Snowdens Secret posted:

You have no idea how messed up the California energy industry is.

Let me tell you about ~36 cents/kWh, plus roughly $10.50 as a basic monthly fee. That's Europe for you! :toot:

Although, given how expensive gas is here, an charging an electric car at home might still work out in your favor. I haven't done the math, though.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Geirskogul posted:

BEHOLD, PEASANTS

[bondo eclipse]

Yeah, there ain't no loving 3406 in there. Also, the 600 HP version is the C, not E, if I can recall correctly (probably wrong, though). Click each for big.

Is ... is that bondo around the window in the soft-top? Why would anyone :psyboom:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Saw this on the way home today:

It doesn't seem quite as stupid in pictures as it did in real life. I blame my crappy cellphone camera for not capturing just how lovely the matte black plastic really looked.
Also, yes, the ///M badge is crooked and the NOS-stickers on the fenders were on both sides.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Voltage posted:

I hope thats a 316i.

I couldn't tell whether it's a 316 or 318, but it's definitely a 4 cylinder model. The interior was pretty basic and the smaller brake rotor diameter (not visible in the picture) as well as the non-chrome window trim are a dead give-away.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

General Wiggles posted:

How many things can you possibly monitor that warrant having so many gauges? Why?

Obviously you've never had to monitor 560hp.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I'm a millenial I guess and while I'm probably not part of the immediate audience of that article (living in a huge metropolitan area in Europe), I kind of get most of the points he makes. Problem is, I think his priorities are strange, to say the least. For one, he completely undersells the financial point, which I think is the most important one.

I don't own a car and the basic reason is really that I can't afford it. Owning a car is expensive anywhere, but in Europe even more so.
But then, it's also not really necessary: Public transport here is excellent and thanks to what I do, I can get a ticket for fairly cheap that allows me to take any public transport in about a 100 miles radius whenever I want. I can get work done on the train or bus, read or listen to music. Being stuck in a car in rush hour traffic really doesn't seem like something I'd need in my life. The parking situation where I live is atrocious, too. And for the few situations where a car is absolutely needed, car sharing is cheap and easy.
Cars just aren't as convenient here, but that obviously changes the second you leave a metropolitan area.

That said, I still want a car and the second I can afford it, I'll go out and buy one. I just don't want a car to drive around in every day, I want an unreasonable, fun one. As a hobby. Problem is that people usually don't prioritize spending on hobbies that highly, and that means it'll be a while before I can afford a car.

e: And yeah, I agree with Phone, too. A lot of it is rationalizing things you can't afford as not having been attractive in the first place.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
How about timbofucked?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Rat Rod Neon Green Wide Body Turbo 1978 Subaru Wagon 19 in BMW rims

Wide body 1978 Subaru Wagon 1600 blow though carb turbo with inter cooler,
hks blow off valve,
rear wheel drive,
r180 rear diff and unjoint axles not cvs
3, inch stainless exhaust from turbo back bolt on modified invidia exhaust,
19 inch bbs knock off rims BMW bolt pattern had the hubs machined for rims,
car is lowered 3 inches custom front coil overs and rear cantilever with adjustable coil overs as well.
Voodoo boost controller, modified shifter with a short throw,
Toyota corolla fender mirrors,
1992 Subaru ss turbo scoop that functionally blows on inter cooler,
BMW projector headlights with hids, custom led taillights and red neon under glow for rear.
has rust holes in floor have done some patch work to floor.
I was building this car for track but can be driven on the road I drive it every day.

Hope you have your tetanus booster.

Someone tell me I'm imagining things, but is there something glowing under the car in the second picture?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Oh man. Somehow I had missed that part in the ad. :downs:

I guess that's marginally less retarded than parking a car with glowing hot metal under it on some fallen leaves, though.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
e: ^^ Goddammit! Edited while I was posting! ^^ :argh:

It's a Ford Cougar (Mercury Cougar for you Americans).

I've seen several terrible kits based on them. I'm starting to wonder whether they're turning into the new Fiero.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Now I'm looking at videos of wood splitters what the hell :psyduck:

Anyway, one of the related videos was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXqbi80bNo
Leave it to the Germans to completely overengineer a homemade wood splitter (although it is owned by mid-sized landscaping company).

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Raikyn posted:

Heard y'all like ridin high in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mjMFDBEVSA

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Pretty sure that's what the driver of the first car in the Seattle video did. That seemed like less successful strategy.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

drukqs posted:

Is murder legal yet?

I can only hope this is the new exhaust system you're thinking about.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

surebet posted:

Ugh, long story short a ~30 year female old high school acquaintance with what appears to be a normal life just announced a new relationship on facebook. Curious, I checked the guys out.

Hundreds of photos of this:

What, is he buying wheels on an installment plan or something?

e: As for complaining about noise: I live next to a church that will ring its bell every 15 minutes, and go on for like a minute every full hour, from 7am to 10pm, even on weekends. I still manage to sleep. Greetings from old Europe, tell your neighbors to stop being babbies.

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 5, 2014

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Rhyno posted:

I know you're joking but this is a thing, local wheel & tire place will let you put them on layaway and you can pick them up as you have each one paid off.

At this point capitalism is either about to collapse dramatically or has achieved perfect victory and I have no idea which it is.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Financing and putting them on one at a time? Definitely.

The previous post might have also been slightly hyperbolic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

H1KE posted:

Imagine what will happen when you slam the brakes on real hard. I'd love to know what it would sound like if all those tips are hooked up.

I would unironically drive this everywhere.