Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Massholes
Salem, MA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

netwerk23 posted:

Florida has no inspections, but I wonder if the safety risk would get him pulled over?

I love the fact that Florida doesn't have inspections, otherwise I wouldn't get to see stuff like this.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sorry for the crappy image quality, but it was raining and I was trying not to be too bad of a driver.

Yes, it says HENTAI.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yes, there was an anchor next to the driver's side rear tire that he took out and put there.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

b0nes posted:

I saw that happen to someone yesterday, basically on top of the car infront of him, then the 1st car stalled out so the guy behind had to reverse in traffic to move out of the way.

If it has been posted already apologies.

This eyesore was rolling down I-4 in Orlando yesterday on the back of a flatbed followed closely by a 2nd flatbed carrying a light blue BMW X5 with equally monstrous wheels. I couldn't get a picture. When I saw this link I came here and saw somebody beat me to it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This happened.

quote:

A Corvette owner said he was almost carjacked at gun point, but the would-be thieves ran away, because they couldn't figure out how to drive his car.

Manual transmissions are a mystery to American youth these days.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Florida stuff, eh?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Saw the Weinermobile in the expo hall of the hotel I was working at a while ago. The expo team finished setting up for the day and we climbed all over it. Sadly, it was locked.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

(not my pic)

Is this a thing now?

I got a bunch of stuff that I don't think I've put in here yet, apologies for any reposts:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Am I missing something? A dog is in the back of a pickup :v:

Driving at 50 mi/hr down a hilly road. Is this normal for you?

e: VVV That was the first and only time I've ever seen it, wow, I had no idea it was a normal thing.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 15, 2013

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

Luigi Colani! Dude hates straight lines with a passion.

So that's how new cars are made!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

E: phone posting sucks

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dissss posted:

Didn't last for long though

I'm a child.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

I have never seen so many loving buttons and switches in a car in my life, it was like driving a space-ship.

POWER WINDOW

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I remember the 1st gen probe turbos being pretty quick despite only having something like 140hp. A friend had 2 and they were pretty cool for the early 90s

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

What, exactly is so bad about the 500L?

eyebeem posted:

I can't explain why, but I happen to like the 500L. It's ugly and ungainly, but I just... like... it.

We're shopping for a third (large) vehicle right now, and if it weren't for needing to fit 3 kids in there comfortably for long distances, the 500L would be on the list for sure.

Goober Peas posted:

edit: Congrats, you are terrible car stuff

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Something something Corinthian leather.

Corinth is famous for it's leather!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What is it good for?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

That sounds awesome actually. Now all they need to do is remove the driver add more batteries and give some kids adult men remotes.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Terrible car stuff: FHP probe into fatal Dodge Viper crash on rain-slick S.R. 528 could last 90 days

orlandosentinel posted:

The investigation of a fatal weekend crash that killed an Oviedo woman when a high-performance sports car broke in half on State Road 528 will take up to 90 days, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Tracy Harman, 27, died at the scene when her boyfriend, Michael G. Sparks, lost control of the 450-horsepower Dodge Viper on the rain-swept roadway, according to FHP.

Sparks, 28, who had minor injuries, has been ticketed six times in Florida for speeding since 2002 and arrested once for DUI, according to state Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

A sergeant in the U.S. Army, Sparks was charged with DUI in 2009 shortly after returning from duty in Iraq.

When stopped for speeding on Colonial Drive, he had an open bottle of whiskey in his pickup and a blood-alcohol content of 0.26 percent, more than three times the legal limit, court records show.

The case was dismissed after he completed a 15-month DUI pretrial diversion program.

Alcohol was not a factor in Saturday's crash, an initial crash report said.

The couple were driving westbound about 6:45 p.m. Saturday when the vehicle veered off the pavement near mile marker 24, struck a utility pole, broke in two and then struck a tree.

Witnesses told FHP the 14-year-old Viper appeared to hydroplane on the wet pavement.

Troopers are waiting to examine the tires' tread as part of determining whether the car was going too fast for road conditions, said FHP spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Montes.

Car reviewers routinely advise against driving Vipers capable of up to 200 mph in the rain.

"As big and bad as our Viper may be, add a little rain to the equation and it's rendered nearly worthless," wrote Ed Hellwig, a senior editor at Edmunds.com. "As in, don't bother trying to go fast, or it will kill you right quickly."

Harman's family and Sparks could not be reached for comment.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Terrible car stuff: my friend bought a used RX8 despite my advice not to. The engine exploded the other day. Mechanic says head gasket blew and it needs a new engine at about $5000. The car falls under the 8 year/100k mi extended engine warranty Mazda offers on RX8s. It's a 2007, currently at about 80k miles. The explanation is:

quote:

RX-8 Rotary Engine Core Limited Warranty Extension
Mazda Motor Corporation is extending the warranty coverage on Rotary Engine Core Components on all RX-8 vehicles produced after the 2004 model year. The warranty coverage for the Rotary Engine Core Components is extended to 8 years (96 months) from the original warranty start date, with a 100,000 mileage limitation. The following is a list of components covered by this warranty:
Rotary Engine Core

Rotary Housing and Internal Parts
Internal Seals and Gaskets

Know anyone with their RX8 engine replaced under warranty? The dealer it was towed to is telling me that it is meant for compression prone engine problems and may not cover it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the help, an independent mechanic told me the head gasket was blown and it needs a new motor. He could only find one in TN (I'm in FL) with 78k miles and to pull the old one and put the new (used) one in it would be $5000.

I called Mazda and they towed it at no charge to the closest Mazda dealer. They Mazda service advisor told me the extended warranty is meant for low compression problems and any repairs may or may not be covered under warranty. I'll take it to PMs so I don't derail too much.

The engine did sound nice and the go kart handling was pretty cool, but exploding engines certainly are terrible car stuff (see my ex-wife's 1998 Jetta).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

You do not want to use this mechanic and you do not want to buy a used (non-rebuilt) rotary. Especially for $5000. For that much you could get a professionaly built 13b monster with change to spare. Or just sink it all into a 3-rotor :getin:

Yeah, Mazda ended up paying for the tow to a dealer and is covering a new (guessing rebuilt) motor under the extended warranty installed by the dealer. The only charges are a new radiator, fan (s), coils, plugs, wires and Brigdh suggested asking them to put in a new thermostat, plus all the labor.

I'll work on convincing her to get that 13b!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This is the bad car stuff thread, right? I wasn't sure from the last page. Here have a bad car that has been around for years and I believe has made several stops in this thread already.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A Melted Tarp posted:

There is this fun remnant from your days as a fetus called the ligamentum arteriosum. It just sits around all day, tethered to your aortic arch, waiting. One day you strike a telephone pole at 75mph, and three impacts happen. The car hits the pole, you hit the airbag at 75mph, and your organs keep going at 75mph until the ligament tears your aorta in half and you die in the span of a few heartbeats.

IIRC, after reading something from the NTSB, this is the main reason die in airplane crashes. The plane hits the ground or water with such force that it literally tears your aorta from your heart and you bleed to death internally extremely fast. A comforting thought...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Looks the Kuwaiti oil fields on fire from the first gulf war. This ugly thing doesn't burn gas that quickly does it?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

It's got the graceful tail of an orca, but the intercooler acts like the strainer of a baleen whale. I bet if you cut that thing open, more license plates would spill out

E: the exhaust note sounds vaguely like "killlllllll meeeeee"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

You'd be shocked, especially with 80s cars. Look up what a good condition 80s Monte Carlo sells for.

It sucks so bad because I really want a mid 80s Monte Carlo SS and they cost a fortune

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My hometown doesn't disappoint

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A+ would laugh again

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Wojcigitty posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=374_1435549300

Parade of terrible car stuff comes to a somewhat satisfying end.

Liveleak commenters are a bunch of racists, go figure...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Quantrill posted:

They'll make anything into an Ecto-1 nowadays

Quantrill posted:

it's for the new all-lady movie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Linedance posted:

It's like Chrysler and Hyundai had a baby, and it turned out so, so plain.

The front does kind of resemble a pissed off crying baby. Countdown to when car front ends are just oversized black holes

Aren't these usually pinstriped at the dealership? How'd they miss that?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 15, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

Every single customization on that car has been hosed up in some way, what makes you think they'd get rid of badging properly?

Looks to me like they hosed up matching paint on filling in the holes.

Like the windshield says ~~Have Mercy~~

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This is Yoenis Cespedes three wheeler that "the Internet is going crazy over", isn't it? I swore I read that headline and saw that thing and almost facepalm'd

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

V6 Automatic Mustang isn't really terrible car stuff,

Lol

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

And it pulled pretty decent once it got into VTEC land, even with 200k+ on it.

Mine did too, 98 EX (d16y8). Still ran strong at 265k when I sold it :(

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

It's like one of them Zika babies in truck form. I assume the guy selling it is the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Seeing the civic type R up the page reminded me I got an email a week or so ago about the new civic type R coming to America. I have a 2015 Si now, so I figured I'd take a look.

Truly terrible car stuff is having a civic type R only available in a sedan. VW got ahead of them by eliminating the 2 door GTI here already, which should be the only option available.