Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MetaJew posted:

They are insane, and often assholes.

I took my beater 240sx to an autocross back when I was in college. I didn't know anything about classes , the documentation is terrible for figuring out your class, and I just wanted to have fun.

I had put some FN01R-Cs on that were wider than stock and got an earful from some jerk telling me how he wasn't going to report and disqualify me this time-- when I was nowhere near competitive.

Between dealing with tryhards and spending maybe 5 minutes in the car vs 3+ hours standing around in a parking lot, autocrosses just aren't worth the time. Not to mention I've had to drive an hour+ in the past to get to one.

I hope my local group hasn't changed since I last did it like 15 years.. a combination of multiple children and owning a minivan made auto-x a bit not great for me. My local group was as described by the other poster. a buncha dudes who liked cars and enjoyed driving them in a performance setting. My local area has no road courses locally the closest would be watkins glenn about 4 hours away, or Canadian Tire MSP (similar distance + international crossing.)

I'm getting back into it this sunday and hope it's still run by and populated by cool guys who say poo poo like, i dont' care if it's a timed run or not hop in my car, with good instructors. I recognize some of the names from my college cigarettes flicking group that I use to hang out with like 3x a week so my hope is it's still chill. that's not saying that there are not a group of hardcore tryhards who care about 10ths of seconds but usually unless you're beating them they don't care that you misclassified yourself as STS instead of STX with your 8" wide wheels vs 7.5.

My issue is with being 6' tall and owning an NA miata I'm pretty much either stuck with autocross, or doing a bolt-in seat so I can pass the broomstick test with a helmet on, which is somewhat out of the question for my "country cruiser"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ oops hope the guys red Yankee hat and truck nutz(tm) are okay.

Darchangel posted:

Autocross the minivan. :haw:

H-stock was always a mixed bag of amusing stuff when I was in AutoX, like a 4-cylinder Toyota pickup, for example. One guy broke his AutoX car, so rented a Malibu (late '90s, early '00 at the time), I think it was, and used that just for fun. The body roll was hilarious. Some groups might not let you run a tall vehicle out of rollover concerns though.

Yeah my area is not big on tall vehicles. If I showed up with a sienna they would turn me away 100%.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

televiper posted:

They don’t appear to have gotten much better.

Youtube recently served me an ad about how Ford was going to save us from stressful parallel parking ordeals.

The stressful parallel parking ordeal:

Also can we take a moment to discuss how Ford is no longer built tough. They're just proud of any trash they polish

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hello. Id like to share with you ultimate Altimate Altima energy. This transcends big

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 24, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No just like a wind surfing setup or something like that secured to the roof.