Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Raluek posted:

I... Really? I could have sworn all of the ones around here were V8s, judging by the dual exhaust, but I can't say I've ever seen under the hood. You're making me question everything I thought I knew.

Pretty sure they'll all have dual exhausts - Holden puts them on most models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Kinda surprised at how well the AE86 seems to have held up, all things considered. Although it does look like somebody went through the windshield. :ohdear:

The truck it hit is one of those little 660cc things - you could not be driving a less safe vehicle

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

You can't improve on perfection, indeed.

Reminds me of visiting Malaysia

1985:

2008:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Still under production, and still sold in my market (NZ)

Mitsubishi L300 1986-2013

Safety features include seatbelts and, well, seatbelts

dissss fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 4, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think they're using a 3l now

I really don't see what is wrong with them, they're easily the most pleasant small van for general usage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I'd say the Juke/Cube/Soul are polarizing, but this Infiniti is just obnoxious. It's the new generation of Hummer H2, a fat, bloated, obscenely expensive turd of excess, AND his has those dumb fender-vent things.

Why is it any different to an Escalade (or a GL450 on an LX570) in those regards?

It's the entire market segment that is the problem.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That's subjective

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CharlesM posted:

It's a Mazda!

The Mazda badged version does look a little less awkward

Surprised they're a rare sight in Australia, there are hundreds of the things in New Zealand

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

In Japan they probably would've been even smaller; in the US our lowest-end models often are specced equivalent to mid-range models elsewhere.

Only sort of - the engines are generally smaller but they are also generally higher output.

The equivalent Toyota would have been either a Levin/Trueno with the 20v 4AGE or a Curren with a 3SGE both of which are a fair bit quicker (if much peakier) than those Cavaliers (which incidentally are fairly common grey imports where I am in NZ)

e. Also those Japanese market Cavaliers were all automatic which didn't help things at all

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 24, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Slightly more off topic, I can't state it empirically but it seems like the Japanese like automatics a lot too. They also seem to smoke in their cars a fair bit.

Yeah that's definitely true - its quite hard to find ex-Japan manuals which is a shame as a lot of the higher performance engines (like the DOHC VTEC Hondas or Twin Turbo Subarus) are much better with a manual.

The smoking thing is just gross though - my car must have been smoked in in Japan and you can still tell 7 years later.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Most green tinted headlights are because they've got a 3000k yellow stupid HID with a failing ballast/igniter. The purple though, that's just stupid choice of color spectrum.

The passenger side light on my Skyline/G35 went really purple for about a week before it failed completely

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

What's really loving with me is that retarded windshield spoiler.

I think that's functional if you have a roof rack installed. Bloody stupid without one though (as is leaving a rack on when you're not using it)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

edit: just now realized it has a power rear antenna. I wonder if that means there's a special part number for the rear quarter running around out there.

That's standard on the Japanese market cars (at least the non-turbos)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Ripping the front bumper off, causing even more damage.

Yeah I can't see how that could possibly be attached to anything solid - the whole front of the Z/G is a fiberglass molding.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Anything over $400 imported in NZ attracts our local goods and services tax, which blows.

Can you actually get them complied for road use or are they going to be track cars?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

diarmuidqq posted:

It's super easy to get things complied in NZ, and those look in good condition. Should be a piece of cake.

No it really isn't anymore - there are crash and emissions standards that need to be met (unless you can get some exemption which isn't exactly straight forward)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Celica will be 20 years in March

Wow that makes me feel old

You should do an update once they're here and on the road (not in this thread obviously)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Both 1g and 2g DSMs were exported from the US all over. Japan got eclipses, as well as Europe, Russia, Middle East, etc. They were almost always FWD though. That's why the eclipse in the Gran Turismo games is called the Eclipse GT, is only FWD, and had amber colored rear turn lenses.

They didn't sell in any significant numbers though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I find its best just to not try and go anywhere in a hurry here.

Also the cops aren't joking about the zero speed tolerance thing over the holidays either.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

aventari posted:

So I really doubt those kind of logs would be admissible in a traffic violation case because of how easily they could be doctored or made up out of whole cloth.

Even if it couldn't be doctored cellphone GPS just isn't that accurate - it can easily lag behind or jump ahead of your actual position.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

FDs made after 97 don't have pop-ups. It was made til like '01 in Japan.

Yeah they did - the shape of the bumper and indicators/park lamps changed but the pop-up headlights were retained

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Cakefool posted:

It makes a hell of a difference in sound levels both inside and out as well.

I'd imagine direct injection doesn't help here - I don't think anyone has come up with a DI system that doesn't end up sounding like a clattery old diesel after a few years of usage. My decade old Skyline sounds like poo poo idling even with the plastic covers in place.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

And then crashed it, or is the bodykit supposed to meet the rest of the car at a jaunty angle?

I guess it's a case of just because it looks like a snow plow doesn't mean it'll effectively function as one

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The bigger and more useful Fiesta 3cyl does better than that on both city and highway, without the weight, expense, and complexity of a hybrid drivetrain and battery. The CR-Z's mileage is downright terrible for a Prius-sized hybrid.

They're not at all the same type of car though - the comparison to the Fit hybrid would be more useful.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Looks like a run of the mill car with some weird light placement

You don't have to look far to find the same sort of thing now

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Any F-series would be ridiculous in the more urban areas of New Zealand. My brother has a newish Colorado (i.e. a mere baby) for a company vehicle and even that is borderline un-parkable in a lot of places because of its length.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I thought those were made in the USA?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Toymachine posted:

All that extra sweet drag on the rear wheels in a fwd car. Dude must've netted like -5 whp with that.

While I don't think that particular wing is actually going to do anything why is it you think that you only need downforce over the driving wheels?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

Or economical. Those three cylinder cars Top Gear drove in a recent episode made me super jealous, they make the Prius look as efficient as an F-150.

Not really - remember UK gallons are larger than what you're used to.

Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0T 100 - 65.7 mpg
Prius T3 - 72.4mpg

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe my auto knowledge is off, but isn't Chrysler under the GM corporate umbrella?

Nope - its the third of the US 'big three' (Ford, GM, Chrysler) - albeit somewhat less big than the other two

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Sometimes I think I am the only person who thinks that the best way to prevent people from working on their own car engines would be to put all of the good stuff in plain view with as many tubes, pipes, wires, and warning signs everywhere.

I'm immediately reminded of my late uncle's XJ12

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Hahahahaa the corolla comes with a CVT there? Sweet god.

The current one does here too:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Galler posted:

What economy sedan engines (which was the purpose of that engine) were significantly better than the 3800 during the mid 90s to early 00s to the point that the 3800 could be considered as terrible as claimed?

The Nissan, Toyota, and Honda (and even the Mitsubishi) V6s were all much better, as was the big inline six Ford used in the AU Falcon.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Awesome? In what way?

I had the misfortune of growing up with Holdens - my dad worked there so has a succession of brand new models as company cars and they were all terrible (apart from I think an MB Barina which he liked)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Left Ventricle posted:

My point was that a) it's the same four speed they've been using since the paleolithic era, and b) they want six hundred loving dollars for the privilege! A CVT is what I would consider an upgrade, given the choice.

Automatics are always more expensive than manuals though (at least on regular cars)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

charliemonster42 posted:

Yeah, but the Tore-rear end is front wheel drive, so it really makes no sense at all.

That isn't a Taurus (or a FWD for that matter)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

animeliker posted:

I need a definitive answer; Is the VL Calais a good car or do people just like it ironically?

It's certainly good compared to what came before and after.

I guess it's like those US turbo Buicks - you can get big power relatively easily

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It is technically all new - none of the panels will interchange any more.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why wouldn't they just put in a railway crossing...

Because the low crossing is a good deal more ammusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Looks like a Maxima (the sunroof was around that way stock)