Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

When those apartments were built we called them Deadbeat Heights for all the recently divorced men there. Glad to see it's classy as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
itsureis.jpg

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I wonder if he meant "duckhunter." On a mid-2000s Escalade.

My friends' parents plate in STL. They asked for a new one but the DMV said there was nothing explicit about theirs and refused to issue a new one.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

azflyboy posted:

I ended up driving a Volt for a couple of weeks last month, and it has the same rear visiblity issues, so I think it's a GM conspiracy to sell more backup camera options and rear bumpers for dealers.

Unless the object behind you is taller than about five feet, it's completely invisible without the use of the backup camera. Going fowards isn't much better, since the hood is entirely out of the drivers line of sight, which makes parking a lot of fun. Reversing or parking the Volt relies heavily on use of the backup camera and front/rear proximity sensors to judge distance from things, and I'm completely baffled as to why they're not a standard feature on a $40K car with those visibility issues.

My family used to own a 94 Suburban, which managed to have better rear visibility than the Volt (without the backup camera) despite being the size of a small house.

I don't know what you're used to, but we have dozens of Volts at my work and driving them is always totally fine. Parking isn't any more difficult than with any other compact car and even if you didn't use the backup camera at all, you could still see things out of the back glass under 5 feet. And a 1994 Suburban has better visibility? Not unless you have x-ray vision.

For all the problems with the Volt, it's a completely acceptable compact car (if overpriced). We have solar chargers here so it's basically free transport.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hello fellow Illinoisan.

(there's two trucks there, I swear)

Same storm, LSD:

Hopefully this winter will be like 2012 and we won't get much snow, but the south side was completely blanketed for three days before the plows got to us last time there was a huge blizzard.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Let's just cut to the chase and say all stickers of any kind, legit or not, are lame. Do whatever you want to your car, but don't think that just because you actually ran a marathon or drove on a road it makes you less lame. If you want to start a conversation, use words.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

General_Failure posted:

So you have a problem with my free "Nothing beats beef" sticker I got from the counter at the butcher? Or the Hello Kitty Pez sticker on the dash (which through coincidence matches the fuzzy blue Hello Kitty seat covers). What. I'm allowed to. Not my seat covers anyway.

Oh or the Fuckenbroken sticker on the VW?

No; it's your car and your stickers so go nuts. Just don't get uppity at other people with stickers.

STICKER DERAIL OVER

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Das Volk posted:

When it snows on Donner Pass in NV/CA stateline everyone wants to go a different speed, and they follow at the same distances they would on the 405 in Long Beach. Going up there during a snowstorm we were in a GLK with snow tires, so we were pretty well set for the snow. Getting up to the front of the traffic line after they closed the road briefly, we were in the first 50 cars or so and it was like an apocalypse movie. We were dodging jackknifing rigs, people spinning out, cars hitting each other, and it was all happening in slow motion. I try to avoid stereotyping drivers based on location, but Californians are downright dangerous in inclement weather.

poo poo, sometimes the stereotypes are dead-on. Just drove in MA for the first time in a year or so, and I forgot that MA drivers will willfully endanger themselves to merge. I was blow away by the amount of times someone just pulled in front of me or blew through a stop sign to make a left without looking. All I could think is someday, someone won't be paying attention, or their brakes will be shot, or something will happen, and those idiots are going to get flattened.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

InitialDave posted:

I never understand the glassy-eyed, not-sure-if-he's-joking look people get when I say I don't really have a probelem with someone shooting the little fuckers. Every now and then someone decides to be self-righteous and ask "Are you really saying you value your property more than their lives?", then go and get upset when you look them dead in the eye and say "Yep".

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

over/under on this guy hunting mallards?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

kastein posted:

abortion of a truck

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the shocks are going to shear off the first time there's a real load on them, unless that one bolt is a lot stronger than I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

One of the guys in my apartment building owns one, I posted pictures of it months ago. Indiana plates in Chicago, I think for tax rebates.