Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Colored lights are definitely a thing. I've seen green and red out there, too.

At first it was people pretending to have bright white LEDs by adding blue tint, but now it's just it's own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Also any quantity of flags attached to a pickup is suspect except on nationalist holidays and sporting events

err, I live in Southern Alberta so my data may have sample breadth issues

Well it's not like more people live in northern Alberta for comparison's sake

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Imagined posted:

How often does Mexico City have ice storms?

Is that even from ice or is the road just wet?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Imagined posted:

What I've always wondered is why people always start with the wheels when they think about fixing up an old car. How many times have I seen an old car running around with rust and peeling paint and primered panels, all dinged up and poo poo, but with $900 wheels on it. Who is that supposed to impress? :psyduck:

You can change the wheels at home using tools that come with the car.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The data is anonymized except for all the time you spend at your house and at work and when you go to the closest grocery stores to your house and the sandwich shop near your work.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

everdave posted:

My lawyer who paid for all the FSD but I understand that doesn’t work yet? Anyways he says it will try to swerve onto like side right streets and he has to correct it often, maybe it’s just a more thing with our old small town but he is very annoyed. Owned for 3-4 weeks

Find a new lawyer

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Also the rear end in a top hat was trying to make a u turn instead of just turning around in a parking lot safely

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Blowjob Overtime posted:

As a bonus, in my experience at least, the areas where you have to be in the intersection and turn after it is red are also the areas where people are much more willing to enter the intersection going straight after the light has turned red. Love the thrill of wondering whether oncoming traffic will stop for a red light to let me complete the turn.

Living the in the suburbs makes you into an rear end in a top hat. The built environment encourages anti-social behavior.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

New car announcements are done in special exclusive events now.

So your target audience is largely people who live close to the show, can afford a new car, and want to cross-shop the different brands (instead of doing research online).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Because despite 50% of the US and probably a similar percentage of the entire planet requiring a front plate, designers refuse to plan cars around having one.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

When you want a wing but you don't want to change the overall dimensions of your car, try installing a weird hosed up wing instead!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Snowmobiles are bad yeah.
But I do have two friends who still have "most" of their toes because some snowmobilers picked them up after a long day of ice climbing

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

I want to know how the gently caress they got the cover back on there in the first place without zapping the poo poo out of themselves

If you're already terrified of it, then the battery sparking at you is what you expect it to do.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Are we still posting engines in the terrible car stuff thread?

Storing cheese puffs in the engine bay?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Afaik polestar is spun off from volvo in the same way that ram is spun off from dodge. It's the same company, just different styling.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Maybe it's the stickers in the window that are terrible? I think I see a thin blue line and that's definitely terrible.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

90s Solo Cup posted:

A fact that surprised the hell out of me when I tried towing them in Beam.NG. They don't look that heavy at first glance.

Depending on the model, the ballast might be removable for transportation

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The more you look the worse it gets. And it's important to remember that both of these have had absolutely minimal batterings. One drove through mud one time.

https://twitter.com/FredSmith914/status/1697298213039198219?t=Sls_ltj_HHk_clw1HKQv3g&s=19

And they just kinda threw poo poo in it however, doesn't look like they actually planned the packaging.

https://twitter.com/Rjdlandscapes/status/1697373281249292355?t=y69THGxyi95ZjkSe22-mdA&s=19

Are those headrests not adjustable? I guess "adjusting the headrest" is a function that customers aren't using very often so it was cut?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't for a second believe anyone on this planet thinks of an SUV instead of a 911 when you mention the name Porsche, regardless of age.

They're definitely not known for being sporty. They're known for being old man cars.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Speaking of horrible lights, the Cybertruck has brake lights that go off when breaking, contrary to decades of automotive practice. Why? Who the gently caress knows, it's Tesla. :teslaget:

Another case of "there's no rule against it because we never thought we'd need to specify this"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Darchangel posted:

y.
I would think there IS a rule in the NVMSS (or whatever) that does specify that braking is to be accompanied by higher-intensity red lights AKA brake lights, but I wouldn't be completely flabbergasted if it were not so.
It looks like the two lights on the corner fit that specification. The CHMSL in the tailgate, however, should be shot down by the law requiring it. I don't think that's legal, since it is conceivable that the vehicle can be operated with the tailgate down. Also, why isn't the CHMSL a brighter portion of the strip? (I know the answer is Elon is an idiot.)

I think you're right that it's disallowed, but not for the reason you stated.

CFR Title 49 Section 571.108

S5.4 Equipment combinations
(a) No high-mounted stop lamp shall be combined with any other lamp or reflective device, other than with a cargo lamp.

So it's not allowed because the high mounted centerline stop light is also part of the running light

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 30, 2023

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Being part of the running lights also runs afoul of S5.5.4

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

What exactly makes that a crossover instead of a sedan? Just marketing?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

So, marketing

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

NoWake posted:

This is the thing; I'd love to import one into a RHD country with full-USPS livery and cruise around there like "yup!"

I have bad news about the fuel economy of the llv

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Really ought to have put a piece of plywood across the opening

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Notice how the first guy's response to being monitored for attentive driving is to cover the camera.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

The terrible car stuff is the Cadillac Celestiq in that green:

I don't know what to tell you, but Cadillac will paint it in whatever colors the customer asks for. The terrible car stuff is that someone with $400,000 in spending money wanted a neon green Cadillac wagon

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

When I was in college we used to run an extension cord to a boom box in the back of a uhaul, throw an all night rager dance party bouncing 20 people on the sprins, then sweep the trash out the back into a waiting bin, and return it in the morning.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Outback is basically a lifted wagon and those are pretty popular.

Yep. Subaru and Volvo are the last holdouts.

Also minivans are super practical but those aren't sexy.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Also, old style Beetles were still being made in Mexico until at least 2003 so the halves could be somewhat close in ages.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Car wash mode is because they didn't include "Neutral"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Why are plastic retaining clips not standardized in any way? I want to be able to go to autozone and replace the ones that inevitably break, not have to go to a dealership and hope they have a weird shaped clip in inventory, and then pay $3 apiece so I can finish working that same day

13 types of clips?
We should just just make one standard clip for everything.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Speleothing posted:

13 types of clips?
We should just just make one standard clip for everything.

Why are there 14 types of clips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

My video about how safe the trunk edges are is raising a lot of questions about how safe are the trunk edges