Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh god I just realized this isn't even a Civic, it's a drat Volvo S70 with aftermarket Civic lights grafted on :barf:
I was happily convinced that was a Civic until you pointed it out. Thanks.

These are a fairly expensive mod for early GD Subarus but I just can't stand them at all:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JP Money posted:

I wonder who thought cadmium coating bolts was a good idea?
It looks loving cool as poo poo. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Depends on where you drive.

The Smart is a city car, and in the city it will give significantly better mileage. Whether or not a city car is appropriate for your coworkers is a separate matter.
Even as a city car, it's a piece of poo poo. The iQ dominates it on size, turning radius, power, torque, fun factor, seats, purchase price (for anything but the stripper model), transmission shift quality, gas mileage (not taking premium in the gas model for one thing) and maintenance cost.

The only advantages I can think of for the Fortwo are a greater supply of used cars to pull parts from, rear-wheel drive, and the availability of a diesel motor. Maybe smugness?

I'd also claim that it beats it on physical appearance and build quality, but those are fairly subjective. If you're buying a Fortwo with something like the iQ on the market, you're either uninformed or stupid.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 25, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, if I ever decide to have a high speed police pursuit I'm totally using this excuse.

I'm somewhat impressed a Sportage can do 115mph over a highway median.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MiniFoo posted:

Let's just say for simplicity's sake that this wasn't possible (yeah loving right). Regardless... "And still, she can't shut the vehicle off."

...Really? On a relatively straight and open highway, I'd rather lose power steering and brake assist than careen down the road at "120" miles per hour in a giant SUV. There's nothing preventing the ability to turn the engine off while the car's in Drive, although a lot of transmission damage will probably occur. Of course, that wouldn't happen if it were in Neutral, which we all know she could have shifted to. I hope she gets ticketed.
Reportedly her SUV had push-button start so she was unable to turn the car off. I guess I can understand that people don't read their manuals and know that they can hold down a button to make it turn the car off abruptly.

To be fair, the button was probably also on the right and couldn't be hit while taking one hand off the wheel and holding a cellphone to your ear with it.

Is the emergency brake on a Sportage (Sorento?) a pedal or a handbrake lever?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd bet that the newer Jaaaaaaaags with the rotary shifter fall into this category. I seem to remember a story from some normally non-automotive publication about one getting stuck in park.

Likewise, the Prius - the shifter seems to be just a collection of switches, not an actual linkage.
I'd bet it's probably an NHTSA regulation or similar that you be able to bump the car into neutral while it's running, for just this kind of reason.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Absolutely, that car is rolling probable cause for meth possession.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MiniFoo posted:

It's okay, we all liked Hot Wheels.*

*as children
I still like Hot Wheels.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pseudonym posted:

Seconded. A few months back, before I knew what sex my kid would be, I was killing time looking on eBay and other places searching for sets of Yat Mings like the ones I had as a kid. I think I actually prefer those to Hot Wheels.
My buddy's little girl has way more Hot Wheels than his little boy does. Better driver so far too, it seems. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Plywood's a pretty good base for a splitter actually. Fairly lightweight and tough, they've wrapped it in wet carbon fiber sheets before on MotoIQ builds to make homemade aero.

I mean, the rest of it is a horrendous hack job obviously made by someone who doesn't know what they're doing but the plywood isn't that big of a :wtc: on its own.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe he was just watching Root Bear intently to set him up for a new hidden-camera show where people present mechanics with half-assed modification work and see what they do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Wait....the real take away here is that the protection package has windows that (might) roll down.

Seriously?
Drive-thrus.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DropShadow posted:

Do you mean a suspension airbag or a safety airbag? Either way, that's crazy expensive.
On an allroad almost definitely the suspension airbag(s). Things are probably the #1 reason used allroad prices are as low as they are.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

That's a thing here in Southern Alberta and seems to be getting more and more common. Especially with hutterites.

I have never in my life seen a Hutterite driving a modified car. Usually they're beat to poo poo Suburbans.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder what it's like to work at the fake spoiler company and what you tell people you do when you meet them at parties.

"What'd you do today?"
"I designed a new fake spoiler that costs 30 cents less than the previous fake spoiler to produce."
"How much downforce does it provide?"
"What are you, a narc?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Could it be that some dude thought your Accord was his Accord and snapped his key in your lock before realizing, "Wait, this isn't my car."
Probably not. Almost every early 90s Honda can be unlocked with another early 90s Honda key assuming the lock has gotten worn out enough. The hood cables are also reportedly pretty easy to open.

Thieves know that. Some guy on a local car forum woke up to find thieves trying to steal his battery-less (for antitheft) Civic CX, and while he was on the phone with police, he watched the thieves break into another Honda further up the road and bring its battery back to try and start his car with it.

There was also a small rash of people kicking in the doors of Mazda 3s when it was revealed that just giving the doors a good boot can twist something in the linkage and unlock them.

I'd throw a hidden kill switch on that Accord and make sure you don't leave a garage door opener or any personal information/titles in it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 17, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They only recalled the actual models that were affected, I think it was only the first couple of years.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
No idea, sorry. Perhaps your criminals were dumber and less well-connected than ours, because it's one of the main reasons I dumped the Mazda3 as a potential choice at the time.

And judging from how good my insurance company is at dealing with claims it's a good thing I did.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

I heard one time that the Ford F-series and E-series all used the same one-hundred and some odd combinations, making things easy if you had a big enough key ring.
Early Camaros with the resistor key immobilizer had only a few combinations, and you could buy the entire set of resistor keys from a GM dealership for $50.

Dunno how you'd go on to start it without the right teeth on the key but I'm guessing it's not a big concern if you have enough time alone with the car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrPain posted:

Right up there with the Camry Solara. :patriot:

I had a middle aged coworker whose absolute dream car was a Solara, and he aspired to own one one day so he could know that he had made it and could retire comfortably.

He owned a Camry at the time. I'm still not sure if he just mixed it up with another car or not.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

They made a limited run, and they MSRP for something like 70k.
Wow. I thought it was just going to be the same price as the regular Murano.

fake edit: At this point I realize I have no idea what a regular Murano costs. It's about $35k to $50k in Canada depending on options and I don't see the Murano cabriolet listed anywhere. Goddamn. Most people I know who drive Rogues and Muranos couldn't afford a used Cavalier. Credit is amazing.

edit 2: On the US site, the Murano crosscabriolet MSRPs for $45k which is absurd. Someone out there is spending $800 a month to finance a Murano convertible.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 19, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It wouldn't surprise me if a particularly tone deaf dealership in a really rich part of town would get one of the first models and then crank up the price (perhaps adding mandatory unremovable dealership "extras") because it's RARE!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
With an exhaust tip like that I imagine the exhaust just kind of steams out at a lackluster pace. :geno:

Maybe it occasionally makes a blap sound and a bunch of soot falls out and sort of scatters on the tire.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 23, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

The other thing I've been wondering - does some company actually mass-produce a ~24" exhaust tip or is that some absurdly expensive one-off part?
Would it really be that hard to bend some sheet metal into a tube, weld it, and then polish it?

Maybe it's reused from some other application too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That has to be brutal on the poor horse.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I sort of want to take an old rusty 240Z and drop it off there for a few months.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
At the wages those guys are probably being paid I could afford to have every panel on the car cut and rewelded.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Be glad it wasn't worse. A family friend got t-boned on the highway by a deer once and the bastard jammed one of the passenger doors up against the frame, broke the glass and took off the side mirror. Blood everywhere, too, even on the interior carpet and passenger seat.

The truck wasn't moving fast either; the deer started to walk off the road after the truck stopped, then did a 180 and broke into a full speed sprint while looking where the headlights were pointing and not at the truck itself.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 10, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe he just meant that people of all races probably don't mix well with explosions but he only has experience from his perspective as a black man.

He's clearly a D&D poster meticulously backing up what he has to say.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Call of Duty taught me that no matter how bad of a war America is currently involved in, it can get through it by hiding behind a rock face and occasionally peeking out to let its invulnerable computer-controlled friends take care of actually aiming and shooting.

Also that radiators explode, and kill black men.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

I like to think that when he was honking the horn he was trying to warn the curb of its impending doom :v:

Either that, or telling it to get out of his way
You can see this at autocross a lot, where someone tries to put opposite lock on the wheel quickly, hits the horn button with their forearm and fumbles for a millisecond. We have one guy who honks for every slalom.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nitrogen posted:

A friend replaced the "clutch" in his Jetta.

I put the word clutch in quotes, because, well:

":downs:shift"

What did the throw-out bearing look like? I can't imagine it was happy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The first time I filled up my 02 Focus (something like 50 miles on the clock) it was in the low 20s, before the wind chill (and holy poo poo there was wind). The plastic was so brittle I broke the latch for the fuel door when I closed it. :(

I filled up this morning in 3'F with a pretty burly wind in a light fleece jacket and no gloves and nothing shattered. That was probably on its way out already.

A few years ago it was -30'C/-22'F before windchill and I watched a late-model Camry snap its own power mirror off trying to adjust it (probably with built-up ice inside the mechanism). Plastic strain is weird!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 29, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Rocket Salad posted:

Perhaps you missed the part about it being a brand new car?
Even brand new cars can have freak casting/moulding flaws in parts.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 29, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

What's the cupholder in the hood for?

Probably a fuel filler judging from the position. Some AC Porsches also have a front oil filler but it's usually on one of the fenders.

e: beaten by :ninja:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's not a stock part, probably. I could see it being useful in a race/pit environment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If I had to guess those things must have absolutely vicious bump steer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Does saying I haven't driven my 93 RX-7 in a month count as terrible car stuff? :smith:

Well, it depends. What have you been driving instead?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

My dad has actively bitched about this group of people after he bought his C6, and according to him they're even more insufferable than the equivalent Porsche owners, as he'd experienced when he had his various P-cars. Then the other day I find out he hasn't driven his C6 in a month.

He enjoys the gas mileage and HOV pass on his new Prius too much.
So you're looking at homes, then?

"Sorry dad, I have a professional image to maintain."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They did one about Seattle street racing that I watched last night. I haven't checked out the LA one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CawafKIPzrU