Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Carfax could probably make some money opening a "modified by an idiot" registry that permanently marks a VIN like that.

I wonder how much longer after 2010 that engine lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Poisonlizard posted:

Found this at the local pull apart, wish I'd gotten a couple more shots because the panel work at the back of the cab was amazing.

edit: drat fancy thumbnail tags
Also, didn't even notice the timbo badge until now.
I was getting ready to laugh at this post and then go to another thread until I realized the car still has a plate and was not inside the junkyard.

I don't even know what a cop would put on the ticket for having seen something like that here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Powerstroke Help episode about the guy doing a Dodge v. Ford pull-off is pretty awesome too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT25YAxkn5k

The entire bottom end goes (starting with the crank, apparently) when you get a guy who apparently cranks up the boost as far as he can. The Dodge chucked a driveshaft.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 28, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How long does it take for salvage rights to kick in? I bet you could force that hood off pretty quickly and help yourself to electrics and a turbo.

Might be dumped after a joyride too - could be worth a call to the police.

e: That wood chock under the front wheel looks suspicious.. were they doing work on it like that?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 3, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tindjin posted:

Drove by this a while ago and couldn't figure out what the hell it could be used for. It's in Albuquerque, NM in the middle of s desert if location helps at all. Click for huge.

Well, it's obviously someone's personal vehicle based on the tailgate painting and it looks like there's a little roof and room for someone to sit up there... maybe something for hunting (like a tree stand, but more retarded?) Are deer colourblind?

That's the only thing I can think of, but it seems like hunting would involve some camouflage, and fewer super bright halogen lights. There's some hooks on the side for a canopy or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It seems like there'd be more of a floor if you were meant to spend long periods of time up there in that little seat, but maybe I've underestimated rednecks (or maybe they tried putting a floor on it and promptly found out that the aerodynamics of that are a bitch at highway speeds).

I wonder if it's removable or welded in there?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

Two silver sedans as well checking in.. I like silver. I usually joke "If I wanted to go undercover, I'd buy an early 2000s white Impala." They're everywhere.
Or a silver one..

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
While we're on the topic, last night I kept getting repeatedly blinded by a Ford something or other truck until I abruptly changed lanes before a red light, rolled down my window and yelled at the driver that they had their high beams on.

After some consternation and frequent repetitions of waving my arm around so they could roll down their window I told them they had their high beams on.

"What's that?" came the reply.
"Do you have a little blue headlight picture on your dashboard? Push the headlight stalk away from you until it turns off." (high beams turn off)
"Oh, now it's not as bright. I'll leave it on, it's dark, I don't know." (flicks high beams back on, rolls up window)

:argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, why have 7 forward gears. Even in racing, you often barely touch 5th or if it exists 6th, is it for emissions or fuel mileage purposes? I could understand that, you could run the engine at lower RPMs to conserve fuel at much higher highway speeds.

On the Porsches it's for fuel mileage.
e: f,b

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man if I were building a custom limo and only could make two doors into scissor doors, it would be the back doors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ouch. Silver is a bitch to match/blend too. At least the cats are happy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't let the clutch out so fast.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

* A first gen Honda Wagovan that was dropped so low that made horrible crunching noises and sparks over every expansion joint on the freeway
Ugh. Why are they ruining these now? Is every other Civic used up? :cry:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cage posted:

My mom has a 2013 Focus, I havent filled it up yet for her yet but whats up with the gas door?

They kind of tucked it into the tail light lines to hide it. Pretty clever I think.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

Caught this on my way to work this morning:

This is literally the first slammed car I've ever liked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo that used to be an MR2. That literally just occurred to me, without clicking the ad I thought it was a 240SX.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Me neither now that I know what it is. Just scrolling over it quickly my brain said "destroyed 240SX, human tragedy beyond all comprehension" and didn't even register the targa top.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's a little ugly but I'd rather it be rebuilt like that than sitting in a field as a shattered husk.

I think the back looks great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In that case, gross.

Some guy who lives near me has a very nice red NSX on gold wheels I see from time to time. I don't know if I could deal with the pressure of owning a car that rare.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't they have a dual mode exhaust kind of thing? I remember the one that a lawyer parked next to my Cavalier a few jobs ago was ear splittingly loud when he got on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What.. was that?

Sebring?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Alphius posted:

Also I suppose it's mildly funny that their supposed "bug-out vehicle" won't start.
It will be exactly as useful as it is now after Obama's EMP drones shoot Facebook destroying lasers at his house.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't some classes of NHRA dragsters still have analogue/fluid-based computers?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A few winters ago I was on the inner-city freeway between my place and the main road to BC and saw a CR-V in the left lane cruising along with its right front wheel at a 45 degree camber angle, toeing in and out when it went over bumps. It was blowing snow and super nasty that day so I assumed they had slid into a curb near the onramp and were trying to limp it to a shop.

I immediately did what was right and gunned it past it and tried to get as far away as fast as I could before it collapsed going 70kph, spun across two lanes and killed both of us.

The next day I was on a different 80kph inner-city freeway and saw a CR-V of the same colour and age wedged into the concrete jersey barrier dividing the roadway, missing its right front wheel and most of the right front hub and suspension.

I still wonder if that was the same car and how you would think even limping it that short distance was a good idea at that speed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
At least he has a dash mat so the dashboard doesn't crack in the sun. Priorities.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Don't kid yourself, Calgary drivers are just as bad, if not worse.

Really, Albertans as a whole are completely loving clueless on the road.

Some lady in front of me mistook the advance green for a straight green this morning and nearly killed someone turning left in front of her, so I'm not surprised that in whiteout conditions Edmontonians can have a lot of crashes.

Hell, on that part of QE2 the only thing that wakes me up is the gentle left turn over the bridge at Leduc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do tracks not get mad at the damage surely done by dragging hard parts constantly like that?
Well, that's on the street (because most race tracks don't have four way stops, a diesel garage and a parking lot attached to them, I assume).

However, our local track had a number of pretty deep gouges on some corners from where the local drift retards' cars decided to drop trou and nearly high centre. They never maintained it because the track was shutting down.

The best part is when they hit each other.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would dent my own van and then pull it in front of customers to demonstrate my skills.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
To be fair I do want to see what kastein would do with a free turbodiesel Ram. We should mob this guy and force him to make good on his bet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Lots of cars have been sold without tachs. My coworker had a base model Ford Focus manual transmission without one, he told me he just shifted based on when the engine sounded a little strangled. I added an Equus tach to a friend's manual VW Eurovan, which definitely wasn't a cheap car when it was new.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy, Honda, Toyota, etc have all done it on their base of the base beater cars as well.

I can't actually see this saving a hell of a lot of money. How much does it cost to add a gauge to a car?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 12, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

The thing about slow cars where I live is that lots of the highway on-ramps are too short for them to merge at highway speed. Trying to squeeze into a busy highway 20mph slower than the slow lane makes a mess.

Our off-ramps inside the city share a lane with the on-ramps making every highway on-off an effective suicide lane as people are trying to get on behind people who are trying to get off. It's still not that bad unless you end up with someone who uses the brakes as a substitute for observation and intelligence.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

That's kind of shocking. Pretty much anywhere else I've driven assholes will drive pretty much anywhere that its physically possible to squeeze a car through to avoid gridlock. I once saw people driving in the grass along side the shoulder when the shoulder also went bumper to bumper when five lanes of interstate got shut down due to a hazmat spill.

I think it's just perpetually ingrained in people after years of near-misses that those are death lanes and they must never be occupied. I saw two F-150s occupy the same space at 110kph in the one near my office once and it was like something out of a Michael Bay movie.

Sometimes they are separated from normal traffic by means of a solid white line "virtual" median, but that doesn't stop people from crossing it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's like you guys have never seen a 320i or 323i with an "M" badge glued onto the trunk lid. This is the kind of person the brand attracts.

I would be horrified to see what a "build blog" would say about what kind of a woman my rusty heaps remind them of objectifying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Judging from the lack of overspray onto the fender liner and suspension components they at least attempted to mask off that part... was removing the caliper just too difficult?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm guessing it is the Micra (that is a Micra, right?) based on where the drivers' seat is. Unless it's a one way road, in which case who knows?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
To be fair, maybe the Micra owner parked after some other cars arrived, and the other cars left before you arrived, thus making the Micra owner look like a douche.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sometimes Parking Wars is on and I watch it to reinforce my stereotype of different car owners. It is always fun to watch someone have a four-alarm meltdown on a meter maid who tickets them for an egregious offense (parking on top of a handicap ramp, blocking a fire hydrant) and then inevitably seeing them return to a Jetta.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I thought it was because you would momentarily be driving on the wrong side of the road in order to get into the spot in the first place.

Also it's illegal to reverse on city streets here unless it's for the purposes of parking. Deparking doesn't count, and I doubt it's OK to do a 180 into traffic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Polymerized Cum posted:

I could use some overtime, they should sell those things in the states.

Please. The steering wheel works as a sluice grate, your job would be easier than usual. Show up, take cellphone pictures, post on Facebook, hose it down and you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Out of all the terrible cars in this thread I'm surprised nobody has powdercoated a fender or two and shoved it on. I want to see how it looks vs. plastidip.