Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I usually sit down, put the wheel on my toes, and raise the wheel up enough with my toes to get it to line up a top lug, then shove the wheel against the hub, and put in a bottom lug.

The VW recovery tool bag comes with a long plastic wheel stud that you screw in to one of the lug holes. It lets you align the wheel on the car, and then put in some of the real lug bolts and take the plastic bit out for the last bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Thought that the Porsche Cayenne was the last word in tarting up a Touareg? Three hundred thousand dollars says think again.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/a-mysterious-porsche-pampering-luxury-car-company-3OVeSt4PQwqWw4DE8~_uhw.html

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Imperador do Brasil posted:

And a "Madonna!"

You guys are missing the best Italian curse word, and the one that he says first: cazzo. And It was definitely appropriate.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sorry the image is a bit poo poo, I took it from inside my mail truck which is itself pretty terrible car stuff. The cab of this truck is two E-150 cabins married together at the b-pillar, and the front cabin appeared to have been from an ambulance (red and white lights at the side marker). I guess that's one way to get a quad cab.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

magical_ape posted:

Hmmm..something doesn't look quite right, what could it be

Oh.

It looks like whoever made it got their online associate's degree from the FAW-VW Institute of Design.

2008 Golf mk IV

2012 Jetta mk II (!)

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

They aren't sold to dickheads to drop their spawn at school and go shopping, are they?

Funny you should ask, as a friend posted this photo to facebook last week, which should answer your question.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

A friend tweeted a photo of this monstrosity. The coachwork is so abysmal I'd be mortified to be seen in such a thing assuming I weren't already dead.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Something something Corinthian leather.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Look how wrong you are

But this fits nicely in the thread

quote:

DINO DAMAGE

I too found the 80s Caddy hearse to be a strange choice until recognizing that it is about as old today as the original ambulance was at the time they made the first movie.

Anyway

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Faster Blaster posted:

Does this count? I don't know what I'm looking at here.

e: Apparently image posting on the app is different.

VVVV Yeah, I've seen those plate readers on Crown Vics and Chargers, but this setup is alien to me. The camera angles look to high to get good shots at any normal-height plates, too.

Phone number on the back is for the Georgia Dept of Transportation. Looks to me like some sort of road geometry/measurement vehicle. Especially since there are well-marked lasers that are aimed straight down at the road, rather than as some sort of LIDAR speed gun.

This was years ago, but a friend of mine in elementary school used to tape episodes of cartoons he liked on extra-extra-extra long play VHS tapes his dad got as surplus at his job with the state DOT. The original recordings were of a camera kind of angled like the one on the front of that van, just hours and hours of pavement condition and a timecode. (The original recording would bleed thru sometimes, if you remember how poo poo VHS was). I'm firmly betting it's a more modern version of that.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

davebo posted:

And I recall there being a blue HotWheels Camaro but didn't realize it was also the pace car that year?

"Official Vehicle", not pace car. They have Tahoe/Suburbans and pickups at the track done up like that as well most years; not sure if it's available at the dealer as an option or not.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

trouser chili posted:

Me too. You know how hard it is to shop an H22 engine when everything is plastered JDM and other misleading poo poo?

I bought a roll of clear stick-on vinyl off of Amazon to use to keep water off a part of my bathroom wall tile before I remodel and it came with a I❤️JDM sticker.

... would anyone want it?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Saw this today while stuck in traffic. I don't know, maybe this is the wrong thread, but it's just so bizarre:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sadly flatted for an on ramp from US 31 to the new Fiat Chrysler transmission plant in Tipton, which I'm sure will eventually be producing terrible car stuff soon if it isn't already.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Is the thing sticking out of the middle of the steering wheel a breathalyzer straw? That would be perfect.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

I don't know if the 'DOGED' is intentional on the part of the owner or just a very negligent body shop, but it sure is mediocre.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Not quite a mustang, but at least it's one less HHR on the road:

https://twitter.com/IFD_NEWS/status/941322937646419968

https://twitter.com/IFD_NEWS/status/941324312690163712

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Humphreys posted:

Stolen from Reddit:

Blayt to the Future:
https://i.imgur.com/2Vn4vq3.gifv

when this baby hits 88 kilometres per hour, you're gonna see some serious :piss:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Huh, I never knew they based auto tax on displacement.

Many countries used to, and some still do, based on formulas usually called "tax horsepower", which are based on engine dimensions and thus much more congruent with the car's displacement than its actual HP. Citroen 2CVs for example are called that because the engine is 2 tax horsepower (Chevaux Vapeur). Even its original, most petite engine had a higher true HP output than that.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

fakeaccount posted:

pretty sure that's a vacuum cleaner catch can full of gasoline.

Absolutely certain that's an 1,5L soda bottle full of fuel. PET is superleggera.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Has any other car done a dash mount shifter like the civic hatch from the early 2000's? Having driven one it's neat to have the shifter right by the wheel, you get used to it really quick.

E:

That's where the shifter is on the Fiat Multipla, obstensibly to accomodate the 3-wide front seating, but much more likely just as a continuation of the batshit styling from the exterior to the interior

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

There is the Kia SUV or whatever where the loving turn signals are down low on the rear bumper

edit: This. Who the gently caress thought putting the turn signals down that low and away from the traditional light cluster was a smart idea? The white things are the turn signals that blink amber.

Some years of the Discovery II had the reverse lights down low and the turn signals up high, and others had it the other way round. I think they were trying to copy the look of the Volvo 850 wagon and didn't do a great job of it in that case (the Disco I had more sensible tail light placement)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

dpack_1 posted:

Sure the turn signals being on the right hand side of the steering column STILL jars me even after owning the car for 5 months, loving Koreans wanting to do something different 'just because',

Maybe you could get a set of turn signal & wiper stalks from an LHD country and swap them out to have the stalk back on the left. I think JDM RHD cars have the turn signal stalk on the right side, which probably influenced the control layout of your Hyundai. Frankly I didn't realize British cars had the same steering column configuration as US/nainland EU cars, always figured they were a total mirror image of everything but the pedals.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

:whatup:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
An old friend from college saw this on the road in Texas today:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

sarcastx posted:

When I was a kid my brother and I were goofing around our grandparents' farm in a Hilux and got it bogged in thick mud. I got out, locked the front hubs (because it was manual, lol), we tried HI-4, we tried LO-4, no matter what we tried, we were stuck. Used the 2-way to get Granddad to come pull us out with a tractor.

gently caress if I know what you do when the situation's reversed!

Eh you just get another tractor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXjpiD1zNHU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Lake of Methane posted:

Electric motor conversion on a '91 Brougham d'Elegance done up in pearlescent white, like riding on a sofa-shaped cloud.

Is a tesla battery pack narrower than the frame rails on the old full size GM cars? seems like it'd be pretty easy to just shove it in there if so.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

At least post the higher res version so you can tell it’s been run flat.

Powershift posted:

There is absolutely no way that tire has the correct weight rating for the vehicle. The shop’s answer should have flat out been “no”

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm terrible car stuff because I recognized it as a Saturn Vue and it looks like the stock tire size is 235/60-17 sooooo

GVWR on a Vue is 5057lbs according to the googles, and that tire sidewall says max load rating of 1477lbs, so I guess the shop gets to say that it's technically not an incorrect installation?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Motronic posted:

They're buying fender/door/bed skins (and presumably hoods) from a place that apparently makes poo poo like that for these trucks. It was mentioned in one of the articles on the other trucktraption they made.

So like, re-skinning a door is not a big deal for any competent body shop. That's easy enough. What's really difficult is believing that there is enough of a market for these panels that someone is producing them. I'm assuming it's all JC Whitney-adjacent, which means those things are probably made out of tinfoil-thickness sheet steel.

It's from LMC and they claim that it's all 18ga OE quality steel. I've been out of luck trying to ffind some parts for my old dodge so I've been reading up on this supplier as to whether or not the parts are garbage or not, but it seems pretty decent quality. Unlike these frankentrucks.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

dissss posted:

It's abnormal to replace an entire vehicle fleet all at once. Anywhere sane would be buying off the self commercial vehicles and staggering the purchases.

They have been doing this for years, first with Chevy Venture minivans and now with Ram Promaster vans (rebadged Fiat Ducato). These have been cycled in for 15 years now on routes in larger cities that need a vehicle but don't need to do curbline / mounted delivery. Even if they could get a COTS van in RHD easily, the variability in heights and depths of the tens of millions of curbline mailboxes out there mean that as a carrier you really need a sliding door / deep window like the LLV has to easily get mail into every mailbox. And sometimes even then it can be a challenge to do without unbelting.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

StormDrain posted:

One of my favorite days in pickup ownership was when they poured a yard of soil into this just like the commercials. Shoveling from the bed to the wheelbarrow wasn't bad either since it was minimal lifting.

Thirteen-letter soil spreader!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
The MCM guys and their buddies Benny and Al seem like decent people, but likely CAT INTERCEPTOR is just waiting to drop the deets about how they are all card-carrying members of the Royal Australian Society For The Wanton Murder of Cute Wallabies or something. They're about the only car people I watch anymore besides Hoonigan and Chrisfix. I stopped watching RCR when during an episode where moments after thinking to myself that he had really gotten up his own butt about shoehorning lit crit into videos about 80s shitboxes he literally started talking about putting stuff up his own butt. Which, like, you do you but (butt!) that was a little too on the nose.

AvE was already kinda getting chuddy before he revealed his ~brilliant covid beating invention~ of a welding oxygen bottle connected to a regulator and a manifold, as if every hospital room in an industrial country doesn't already have an oxygen line or two. That was disappointing but not entirely unexpected. ElectroBOOM and Clickspring are nice stand in for goofing around with electricity and machining stuff, respectively.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

I've never had an avatar, but this might be the one

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

one aspect of the transition to electric that I'm interested to see play out is what happens when we hit the tipping point in EV adoption where gas stations start going out of business en masse but a significant percentage of Americans are still on gas

how many gas stations are going to stay open/continue to offer gas when 70% of cars on the road are electric? what happens when the only gas station in a small town goes out of business? are gas prices going to skyrocket to keep these places open when many of the people still using gas are people that can't afford a new EV?

I imagine that as charging stations become ubiquitous they're going to be more akin to vending machines in terms of profitability; I doubt you'll be able to just replace half your gas pumps with chargers and expect that to keep the lights on for very long

even if you ignore the costs, assume we have enough lithium to convert 100% of auto manufacturing to electric, ignore cars taken out of circulation, etc, the transition period from 70%->100% is still going to take several years at minimum

I don't know, it just seems like the kind of easily foreseeable crisis that governments are not going to plan for at all. and then its going to be viewed as just another unavoidable thing that fucks over poor people and kills off a lot of small towns

There were over 200k gas stations in the US in 1994 and the number was down to 115k in Feb 2020. Presumably even fewer now. What you're describing has already been happening for decades, and that's without EVs.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

biosterous posted:

idk how easy it is to do, but if it's possible to cut off the bottom half that'd probably shrink it too

attn: cat interceptor, if it's small enough filesize please probe me with it thank you

1.6 mb, how's that for a probe?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Right thread.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Workposting so I can't take a photo myself but the spark actually has a nice to work on engine bay, not that I have needed to yet. If you stand at the right angle you can see the tip of the oil filter and the ground, too. I guess it's terrible car stuff because it's a whopping 98hp. Here is a photo from the web where you can at least see the O2 sensor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I missed the Bro-dozier conversation, but I have something to add.

This was yesterday, in a 25 mph and very tight one lane street in Portland. I took the picture with my phone mount.

When I came to a stop, I swear the loving truck was trying to hump my Spark. Even better, there were cars in front of me, so I wasn't even setting the speed. This is absolutely a spot full of crossing pedestrians, too. But this guy had to rev his engine and try to drive up my tailpipe the entire time. In loving Portland.

That Ford emblem would have been drat near neck level if I was out of the car.

Personally, I love setting the cruise control in my spark to the speed limit as I drive around residential streets with one of these asses behind me. It makes them so mad that they can't go more than 30 mph on a 30 mph road and can't cross the double yellow lines to get around because even if it were legal they're too fat to fit two wide with parked cars on the curb. Sooo mad! Soo terrible.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Saw this outside a restaurant. Story from the staff was this K5 and a Camry tried to merge into the same lane, driver side wheel fell apart, flew up in the air and came back down on the windshield. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Doesn’t explain the missing hood. Unless it’s Florida.

Also: rear flat?

Visiting my in-laws in Ft Lauderdale, in fact. And I think the flat was likely from loose bits of wheel rim.

cursedshitbox posted:

Probably 16.5s without a safety bead and lost the bead when the camry sideswiped them.

or this, and of course I defer to CSB's knowledge of big tires. Saw the Camry after we left and it was missing its front bumper trim and a quarter panel.

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 18, 2023