Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kimcicle posted:

Looking for parts for my car I came across this beauty.

(Donked Caprice pics)

Wow. I don't know what to say.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3935934/1989-chevrolet-caprice

Impressive for doing it in your own front yard, but man it looks awkward.

Best part? Look on page 3 or the Cardomain site, where you will learn that the front seats are bolted to 2x4s attached to the floor of the car. I'm sure he used Grade 8 wood...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

No. It's way over the weight limit of the S-10 even if the hitch was in the proper place tied into the frame.
I love the extra set of chains on the tailgate.
Someone truly doesn't understand how much weight their dealing with, materials strength, or both.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sounds like a 2-cycle...
I won't even comment on how stupid it looks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

a little something from the parking lot at work:

(That's my ratty FC on the right)

Looks like a little fresh oil, there.

bonus dangling ABS sensor wire:

The rear bumper was cut as well. I *almost* crawled under the thing to see for myself how much they had screwed the suspension up jacking it that high.

The first time I noticed this car, the driver was attempting to start it to no effect. guess they fixed that. Pity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

I'm riding in a Rangie with a 3" lift on 33s and this thing towered over me this morning.

Damnit, camera, focus on the truck not the windshield!

Front driveshaft geometry is haaard! And it needs more blocks.

Wasn't that year of Tahoe originally independent front suspension?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sticking with the theme here, sorry for the drive by.

Now this one makes me angry, not necessarily because it's donked, but because they actual cut up sheet metal on a classic muscle car to get those stupid rims in there. Yeah, I know the wheel arch sections behind the front and rear wheels can probably be replaced with patch panels, but God, it's so STUPID.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

A lot of cars just straight up aren't available in anything but white/black/silver/grey. See: Hyundai / Kia. When I bought my Audi all the colorful, uh, colors were all special orders.

My wife's Kia Spectra5 is a bright metallic blue, and I've seen a fair number in the orangey/copper color that was available. Yellow, too. But, as previously mentioned, this is on a smallish, sporty-ish car. I haven't seen those colors on, say, an Optima.
Shifty Pony posted the article I read on why this is, so there you go.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fox body Mustang.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

We don't all drive F-350s and ride horses :clint:

Fair enough, there's nothing that overtly screams DALLAS (or for that matter, Texas) in it, unless you look at the phone # on the Hummerlimo and notice the 214 area code.

But Fire Storm mentioned DC, and drgitlin said the tours had been around awhile (and he/she has a very DC-centric post history).

I honestly have no idea how long the Segway tours have been around in Dallas, I don't make it downtown very often.

This is the general area I was in when I took the photo - I guess it could pass for "generic big city downtown area".

Well, it's already passed for future Detroit, among others...

I hadn't seen the Segway tours, but I haven't been downtown in a while. Even when I worked downtown, it was a bit farther east from the tourist sites.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

C4s had the same diameter front and rear, and those wheels on the Z3 are left- and right-specific.
C5s and C6s had larger diameter wheels in the back. 18" and 19", IIRC. Maybe not all of them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

The Mercury Cougar had sequential turn signals. The early units had a motorized switch (relay?) and were a bit problematic.

They also fitted those lights to the Shelby GT500, which is probably what Pseudonym was thinking of.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I just wanted to add there is nothing wrong with the angles on that first tracked vehicle. It's just an optical illusion because the A frame uprights are sort of crescent shaped I assume for offset reasons.

They seem legit to me, just a lot simpler than the ones on the van. And add me to the group of if metal tracks were available I've always wanted a set.

It'd be a beast in the bush I reckon.

http://www.mattracks.com/

Oh, and Kastein?:
http://www.mattracks.com/models/specialty/
Maybe they make a variant to fit your beast. (I like the fact that they apparently have a Terminator movie prop of the model that used the ATV version of their tracks.)

quote:

Terrible stuff.
This popped up while I was GISing the first image. It was on gumtree a few months back. Apparently on drive.com.au as well because that's where I copied the image from. I think it was a prop for a movie.

This is not terrible. If it's actually metal, that's some brilliant forming. Putting some appropriate wheels on it would help a lot. I love it in a retro-futuristic way, and I desperately want to believe that the driver compartment roof can lower to a sliver of a window, or close completely for protection.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

The hatch looks like a screaming monkey.

CANNOT BE UNSEEN.

kastein posted:

All I get is a coming soon page when I follow that link. That being said, my truck uses standard 10 lug Budd wheels (or rather, can) so if they have anything to fit a fullsize bus or regular semi truck, I can use it most likely.

IIRC they cost enough that I'd have to sell my house to buy a set.

Yeah, more the picture of a (future) military vehicle was what I was going for. The link on the front page to that page was "Defense," so one assumes, they have or are aiming for military stuff.

edit: that thing in the picture has a very interesting drive system and steering.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

All the other stupidness aside, I could never figure out why that one sat so damned high in the rear. I mean, it's got coil-overs. Adjust those suckers down. The real Pro Mods you're trying to imitate sit drat near on the ground.

I don't know why that one aspect bugs me so much, given everything that's wrong with that Celica.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wild guess: part of a self-installed alarm system.

I'm going to say it's so he can broadcast his tunes to the world, for the listening edification of the unwashed masses. Seen/heard that here in DFW. Made me want to kick in his windows and rip the head unit out. Bad enough I can hear your lovely music outside the car with the car closed up, now you want to play it too me through a lovely PA speaker?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Interestingly, I read an opinion piece a month or two ago opining that the way to get Fisker profitable would be to build essentially this car. They were of the opinion that the Karma was gorgeous, but more people would buy it if it were a true supercar. They could subsidize the electrics by selling both versions.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There was this thing on the way home from work a while back:

Dragon - RAWR!

There was a bone stock something-or-other, Saturn, I think, with one of the F&F knight stickers (from the Supra) in my neighborhood the other day, too. Sadly, I was not able to get the phone out in time to capture its greatness awfulness.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

razorscooter posted:

Ran across an F20 swapped Corolla with a similar treatment on tumblr, beats rolling round with one fender painted the wrong color.

Initial D manga pages, of course.

e: is it bad that I know that?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Depends, can you name which chapters it is?

Nope, not quite that bad, then.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, I went to the kickoff of the Hot Rod Power Tour since it was practically next door. Had no excuse not to. Most of what I was saw was awesome, particularly since they are cars that are driven, not trailered or towed, but there were a few questionable examples.

There's this:

The placard claims it used to be an '80 Caprice.

I love the expression on the kid in the background. Didn't catch that when I took the picture.
Also forgot to take a picture of the back. Just as well, I bet.

And then, as I was leaving - the bro-truck of bro-trucks:

It may be hard to see it in the second pic, but it has an exhaust tip that's at least a foot in diameter. It's a diesel, of course. At least he wasn't running a smoke tune (at that moment.)
I should have gotten a pivc end-on. It looked so tall and narrow, it should have just fallen over...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I can't hate this. Looks really well done, aside from the "show car" chrome add ons. Wonder what they used for the bed portion? The tailgate actually functions, and the vehicle has been extended, unlike a lot of 'mino conversions.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Frankenstein posted:

If the Can-Am has an automatic transmission, it would not have a clutch handle and most likely has a rear brake handle in it's place; I've seen automatic 4-wheelers like this. So theoretically someone who is missing both legs say below the knee could ride one since you don't have a shifter on the left foot and the rear brake can be actuated from the handlebar.

Saw a guy with one leg missing just above the knee riding one the other day, in fact.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

G-Mach posted:

Why do the Japanese keep making horrible convertibles that no one wants?

They didn't. That's from a company that specializes in horrible convertible conversions. They built a convertible Chevy van for Pete's sake.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nubile Hillock posted:

The Elise would like to respectfully disagree.

I was thinking about the wiki car for a while, and a lot of things got to me about it. The frame is needlessly bulky, they totally didn't bother using the hollow tubes to run cabling and it looks like they neglected crumple zones.

The Elise chassis is clever, it makes really good use of material and space and with my elementary knowledge of physics, seems like it might do better in a crash.

The wiki thing is all 90 degree angles. It'll probably liquify the passengers in a head-on and get ripped to shreds in diagonal impacts.

The website said it was unofficially 5-star frontal ad side impact rated. They're waiting on official ratings.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

EDIT: These things had the crazy 4 link angled upper control arm set up in the rear too, that had all kinds of bind up just driving on regular streets and is basically the worst live axle rear ever. The Camaro's 3 link w/Panhard bar was considered far superior but that's why it was more expensive. :911: Superb handling indeed.

Pretty much every A- B- and G-body GM since 1965 had that rear suspension. Pretty sure the Fox Mustangs did too. Better than leaf springs, at least.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

JaysonAych posted:

"I need something to make this thing look really cool. I know! 15-year-old Malibu headlights!"

Best part? It's a Caprice, and not even one of the round ones.

edit: CONTENT!

Spotted this on the road a while back:

And this at work. I'd say he was waiting to afford huge rims, but it's been like that for over a year. Really clean CVPI except for the 4x4 stance.

Yes, it rides stiff as hell, thanks to the cargo coils or whatever he's got under there.

And the best for last. Saw this while out with family last Saturday:

There is not enough :ughh: for this.

edit 2: fixed first pic upside-down-ness, I think.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 17, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Your first pic is upside down, which made viewing it on my phone hilariously difficult. Also a CVPI/Caprice with that stance generally means they are in the process of being donked. That last car is just horrible.

Better?

edit: Just noticed the "G BENZ" lettering on the trunk in addition to the wing. Didn't catch that before.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

That's pretty presumptuous :colbert:

That lift is nowhere near sufficient for anything larger than stock tires. It's possible he's got air bags and keeps it aired up to whatever is comfortable for driving.

Oh, it ain't for comfort. The thing goes over the speed bumps at work like an unloaded heavy truck.
I'd say he could fit 20s in there, considering that those factory CVPI wheels are 17", but yeah, I think he just likes it jacked up that way, for whatever reason. He even painted the chrome center caps on the wheels, though it's getting a bit thin.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Fascinating deconstruction of an off-road abomination.

The only thing I want to add here, is that those double C-channel lower control arms? Those are the stock control arms for that generation Suburban and Chevy/GMC pickup. They're called "truck arms" and actually work very well in the application for which they were intended. NASCAR cars use a variation of them, and there's a company that makes kits to put them in other cars. They give you some very good handling characteristics and ride quality in a street car. The air bags in the rear are in the stock soil spring location.
Now, on this truck...
They were never intended for any kind of lift. They SHOULDN'T need upper control arms. They're supposed to attach solidly to the rear axle on pads like a leaf spring. That's why the moron had to add the eye bolts to the front ones - there's no provision for a bushing at that end. The control arms are supposed to twist when the axle moves only at one end, so no anti-sway bar is needed, just the panhard link. That upper link would be unnecessary if the rearend was mounted to the truck arms correctly (it's not - boy, is it not.)
I get where the guy was going trying to use the truck arms in the front - some of the big-lift monsters use fabricated arms like that. His skills an knowledge just let him down. I have no idea why it never occurred to his guy to cut the coil mounts off the axle and move them inboard. Or use a bit of pipe for a frame mount for the coils.
If it had originally been a 4x4 Suburban, I think it would have had leaf springs all around, but the truck arms and coils are stock (in the rear) for the 2-wheel drive.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what the gently caress he's doing with the body, but I think he's moved the rear wheel well rearward, and the only thing I can come up with on the rear roof section is that he's trying to make it removable like a Blazer, possibly even fitting a Blazer rear shell. Also, there shouldn't be a rear door handle on the driver's side, because there's no door there. That generation Suburban only had a rear door on the passenger side.
I drove my dad's 72 GMC Suburban for about a year. I really liked that truck.

edit: yeah, Google image search confirms he's moved the rear wheel wells back the width of the gap in front of them. The axle should be further forward on the arms, but not that much, so I'm not sure what that's about.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 23, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I was quite certain that anything is better than a stock Trabant, but I guess not :(

I cannot fathom anyone stupid enough to load a trailer without putting the tow vehicle in park and/or setting the brake.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you don't get DLVR8R or HIRO I'm never speaking to you again.

I love you for this.
One of the online t-short places, Think Geek, I believe, has a Cosa Nostra Pizza t-shirt to go with that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Texas privatized custom plates awhile back, pretty sure that's the only reason we get so many choices.

You wind up paying up to $395/year (on top of normal registration) for them though, depending which style you go for and just how custom you go. And if you want your custom plate fees to be due at the same time as your vehicle registration, that's another fee. You also can't use them on classic/antique cars if they're titled as such.

Oh yeah, limited to 6 characters, even though we've been rocking 7 character plates for awhile. Every now and then they'll auction off a handful of "desirable" 7 character plates for assrape amounts of money.

Yeah, that not being able to get 7 letters on a custom plate pisses me off. They also made the standard TX plate incredibly boring. It's white with black letters, for gently caress's sake. The only decoration is the little Texas start in the corner. We used to have cowboys and space shuttles, drat it!

e: also, goddamn on that truck jump. Fell asleep at the wheel, I'd guess?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Found on imgur. Shame, it looks like some effort went into this

In some ways that looks better than the actual front end that goes on the truck. Certainly better than the '51 and '65 kits that go on the 88-98 models.

Would look better with non-stupid wheels, and lowered.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Pretty easy with a vacuum sync gauge, though. No harder than syncing a motorcycle with 4 carbs.

E: Terrible car-related gif.

"Phew, close call... :catstare:"

Good Lord, *nobody* commented on this?
First off, I think I want one of the space vans in the gif, and second, WTF? Guess the guy in the van was pissed off young tough there almost got smacked, by his own stupidity, and then just sauntered off without even an apologetic look back. Gotta admit young tough had it coming, though I'd have expected the driver to get out or yell or something.
Nice precision driving there. Could have gone very wrong...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

stump posted:

My guess with that godawful looking Nissan is that they wanted a more traditional American 2 box look, as opposed to the more typical one box / slanted front look of euro / jap trucks. Since the US has the sprinter and is getting (has got?) the full size RWD transit they may want to differentiate themselves as a more traditional American vehicle, despite being Japanese.

Not an American but that's my read on it. FWIW the equivalent European Nissan (badge engineered Renault master / Vauxhall - Opel Movano) is hardly a looker either.

Pretty sure the USDM Nissan NV is based on the Titan pickup chassis. I assume they wanted more use out of that platform.
As for why people buy them? Because it's a commercial vehicle. It's marketed for capacity and utility, not beauty.

RE: Ford Transit. We have the Transit Connect front-driver, don't think we have the full-on Transit yet. I was curious why we didn't when I started seeing the Sprinter (in Dodge, Mercedes, AND Peterbilt flavors) here. Even seen a few RVs based on the Sprinter lately.

Edit: Available Summer 2014 as a 2015 model, replacing the E-series van: http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 30, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I see someone isn't familiar with GM's mid-late 00s Passlock system.

The one that uses a switch turned by the tip of the key to disarm, instead of an actual chip somewhere. That switch is easily bypassed by cutting one wire and doing a re-learn (you get a constant security light afterwards, but it'll drive). If you really want to make it better, you can snip a couple of wires, substitute some resistors, and do a re-learn... with no security light. :downsgun:

That switch is also prone to failure, particularly in cold climates - they only run 5V through the switch instead of 12V, add some grease that turns into cement at low temps and... welp!

The upside is new keys for my 2006 GM are a whopping $3 at any hardware store.

Earlier Passlocks with the actual resistor in the key are still pretty easy to bypass. All you need is a resistor of about the same value as the one in the key, and splice it into one fairly easy-to-access wire in the column. Did 'em for remote starts back in the '90s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Expedition for size comparison. The hitch receiver was about the height of my face while sitting in my car :stare:

Wow. That's rediculously similar to the one I caught at the Hot Rod Power Tour in June:

Slightly different year, or I would think he's just go new plates.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

That article is pretty terrible. I agree with him on one point. There is nothing out there that excites me and makes me want to buy a new car. I'm perfectly happy with my 99 Cherokee and a broken DSM (it's preferred state). I probably log somewhere around 40,000 miles a year.

I don't have problems parking in the city I live in, insurance is cheap and I don't mind working on cars. I'm probably in the minority of most people my age and most of the people I've met care even less about a car as long as it goes from point A to B.

Yeah, the writer seems to assume that everyone lives in a city close to where they work/shop, and has good public transportation. And also hates driving, which, if I lived in the middle of a big city with horrendous traffic and no parking, I might.
I can't speak on what Millenials want - I'm 44, and there are a fair number of new cars I would buy if I actually had money to buy them. Maybe more accurately is there are plenty of cars I would like to have, but not for what I would have to pay. For one, I like technology. The retro-musclecars like the Mustang GT500 and Camaro ZL1 get my attention, but I would love to see an Ecoboost V6 in a Mustang, for example. EFI is awesome. I hate carburetors - tuning them is pure black magic. Most of my stuff is old junk that I uprate, install options on, and modernize, because that's what I feel I can afford, probably stemming from the days when I had way more time than money. In the end, I could probably sell it all and just buy one good new-ish car, but what be the fun in that?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

As far as defile the environment? Yeah, they might be right there. Everything else is utter bullshit or blown out of proportion.

If you do anything besides live in a cave and eat nuts and berries, you're defiling the environment. Might as well go big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I know. I was just saying he wasn't wrong, just stupid about it.

Fair enough.

amenenema posted:

That's certainly an opinion.

Well, yeah, and worth what you paid for it. $10, wasn't it?