Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought this was entirely normal. I've seen terrible Engrish swearing, Japanese symbols that were probably pretty crude and obscene graffiti* on the inside of bumpers and things like fuel tank covers on Mazdas. Even straightlaced Japan likes to have fun where no one who counts/cares will ever see it. The ones that came in from Malaysia never did though, not sure why.

*cartoon penises etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DropShadow posted:

Whenever I see that, I assume the car has been in an accident and whoever rewired the rear taillights had no idea what they were doing.

Or it was a late 70s/early 80s Holden (Isuzu) Gemini and the reverse light switch sometimes got tripped when you put it into 5th gear.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I want to say you're in the wrong thread, then I look again and wait I don't know what the gently caress.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is the thread for posting terrible Evoque poo poo, right?

Took that shot walking home from the pub last night. Yes, those are diamante highlights on the base of the "lashes".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

metaxus posted:

I'm moving from Melbourne to Perth
Wrong direction mate.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

atomicthumbs posted:

Who needs a trailer?

Holden Torana Hatch Hutch. This was sold by the factory, to take advantage of the inexplicable Australian fascination with camping.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RuPaul Levesque posted:

those....WHEELS

It looks like a cumshot

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Kangaroos are the absolute worst for jumping in front of your car in the middle of the night. I've only ever hit one, and I was in an old troop carrier 'Cruiser - big bullbar, very high bonnet (hood) so they tend to go under instead of over. I swear I was just driving along at around 30kph on this dirt track and it bounded along beside me for a while before just jumping to its doom in front of me.

Apparently, before all the Australian megafauna was killed in the name of good eating, the main predator of kangaroos would run parallel with them and then take them from the side, so kangaroos that were capable of jumping in front of their predators were the ones that survived. That doesn't work so well with a couple of tons of steel bearing down on them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BoostCreep posted:

Saw this today. I think it belongs here.

I always knew used car prices were inflated in California, but this is ridiculous.
Surely there's one too many 8s on that price. Surely.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shifty Pony posted:

Nope!

Quality.

I would expect something like that at a "Buy Here Pay Here" lot but I'm really impressed at the gall of a normal dealer listing that, and saying they are giving you a $2k price break!

This is *maybe* a $1000 dollar car in Australia, and everything here is at least twice the price of everything there. Here is one that looks like about the same. More mileage on it, and I would prefer a manual in one of those but I would 100% drive that for puttering down to the supermarket.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Actually dissss that's something I've wondered about NZ - do you guys need to salt the roads because of snow? Obviously we don't have problems with it here (Hobart doesn't count), but I figured over the Tasman you might need to deal with snow in that way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My first thought is that the front end of that car looks like a 350Z that's been kicked in.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It's this video:
"VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs. Chevy Duramax Bumper pull"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

Someone tell me who won, because from what I can tell, everyone there already lost a long time ago.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brigdh posted:

Is that a 2x4 that supposed to be reinforcing the rail?

Not reinforcing. Is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lightbulb Out posted:

Described as "New return line" on Facebook, but this looks like shoddy work to me. I don't know a ton about the car, but its some sort of built up turbo Civic. Seems like this will be in the mechanical failures thread soon enough.

At first glance I thought for sure the blue hose was covering a braided steel hose. It's not, is it.

:negative:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What VW Phaeton Owners Complain About - Hooniverse

It must be amazing to have the kind of money that you have spare time to give a poo poo about whether the ashtrays under the audio system in your car pop out at the same speed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Code Jockey posted:

I like how they did the exhaust ports on that truck, does that make me a bad person?

I hadn't noticed them until you mentioned them, and I actually don't mind it. The front of the truckthing reminds me of Bender as the Were-Car, only not in a good way.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Geirskogul posted:

The nissan isn't the most interesting thing in that pic. Is there a person sitting backwards on the motorcycle in front of you? I see an exhaust pipe, but the arm is bent towards the camera. And, if that's the case, why is the shoe pointed away?

This is pretty much par for the course in Southeast Asia. When I was in Cambodia last year, the record was 6 people on a moped, 5 people in a single-cab Hilux and four people on a pushbike.

Actually, the Hilux might have been in Thailand. Either way, no-one cars about minor traffic violations like having your entire extended family on your moped.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Attention all douchebags, your Lord is in attendance. Click for big, if that floats your boat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

General_Failure posted:

Why not. My VW had an "ELITE" badge from a Mitsubishi and a "VULCAN" badge from a bar heater.

I learned to drive in a 1985 Holden Camira* that had a crack in the firewall that made it flex when you pushed the clutch in, making the friction point vague at best and optional at worst**. Someone decided they would put a big blue oval badge on the back of it shortly after I took possession of it and drove it to Melbourne for the first time when I moved here.

*your pity and derision are warranted

**this might have been standard

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dissss posted:

Ruined Evo 5

e. Maybe not, plate says its a 1.5
Best way to tell from that time period is whether or not it had drum brakes in the back. All EVOs since the dawn of EVOs run rear discs, but Lancers in general have only just gone away from rear drums in Australia on every other model.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Crustashio posted:

There's a horribly riced out NSX around here (think the level of those aussie MR2s) and it makes me so sad everytime I see it.

Hey. Hey. New Zealand MR2s. We only claim ownership of New Zealand things when it suits us (see Phar Lap, Russel Crowe when he's not throwing phones at people).

Having said that, there are plenty of those miserable Intruder body kits over here as well, they are just more likely to be on auto-trans, front-drive shitboxes like Camrys. At least an MR2 has some manner of driving cachet.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Dammit, don't you hate it when these things overflow? Bloody apprentice didn't empty it this week.

Oh wait, no, he was emptying it, he just didn't close off the valves properly :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

G-Mach posted:

Oh my God.

Good luck trying to tow a tractor with a Landcruiser.

Also keep in mind that this choice is infinitely superior than what most people who just bought a new tractor do: drive it home at 9 miles an hour on the freeway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dev null posted:

I really wish I could buy a NEW small pickup truck in the US, that's terrible car stuff right there.

:australia::hf::smugdog:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What even is it, a 200SX?

Can't be, those have a longitudinally-mounted engine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PhoenixWing posted:

The last 200SX in the U.S was based on the Sentra platform and came with a transversely mounted GA16 or SR20 :goonsay:

Looks about right for (what used to be) a 200SX:

What? No, you're mistaken my friend, a 200SX came with 250hp and a six-speed manual. They were great cars, emissions laws killed them off but you can still get them used. Plenty of performance parts can be had for as mild or wild a build as you want. Here, check it out: this is a 2001 Spec-R in white.

Wow they buttfucked that badge for all it was worth, didn't they?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jamal posted:

You must not be in the US. We didn't get that car.

Yeah I'm Australian. Also I'm in denial about what lows car companies will stoop to in order to make a buck off a previously prestigious model name.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavvy posted:

I've driven a pulsar hatch with an SR16VE. Diabolical and hilarious!

Oh it's a Pulsar. Yeah, gotcha, they weren't so bad. A friend of mine had a GTI-R a few years back that would chew the hell out of front wheel bearings for some reason, but was a bunch of fun when it was on the road. We used to tear around the place when I had my Familia.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dissss posted:

Blade Master G

Didn't he rap on Liquid Swords with The RZA?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavvy posted:

That's a respectable figure for the 80's. BMW's first 4.0L DOHC v8 made 280hp in 1993. You could reasonably expect around 150-200hp from a NA Japanese ~3.0L engine of the time. Especially with American emissions standards and petrol of the day.

Yeah the 5.0L Holden engine of the early-mid 90s made 185kW, or about 250hp. Bigger engine for even less power than the BMW!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fo3 posted:

That was the clubsport version wasn't it? Standard 5L v8 from holden and ford only had 165kW. The ford stock standard 4L straight 6cyl had 157kW by the mid 90s, with more to come.

Yeah, SS had 165, Clubsport had 185 and GTS (lol) had 215. Boat meet anchor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Uthor posted:

A coworker was complaining about a clunk every time he shifted his MS6. He took it in and they gave him back the random light bulb that was rolling around under his seat.

Back when I was working for Mazda Australia we had a '98 626, less than a year old at the time, come in from one of the dealerships with a weird kind of clunk. Every time you took off there would be a strange rolling noise that would then occur again on coming to a stop. It wouldn't happen on acceleration or braking, unless you were taking off from or coming to a stop. The noise was coming from the bottom of the car but was very hard to pinpoint, and the dealership had spent 30-odd hours taking various bits of the car apart only to come up empty. We put our chassis microphone system on it and determined the noise was coming from the sill underneath the driver's door. We used a very expensive (for the time) camera-on-a-stick that we inserted into one of the holes that the trim cover pins in to, to discover a single dollar coin rolling backwards and forwards along the bodywork.

We thought about cutting into the sill to get it, but in the end we just sprayed some expanding foam into it and called it a day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fucknag posted:

My point was that "a big suv is safer than an old compact" isn't true at all because big suvs and trucks can be hilariously unsafe just as often.

but hey what the gently caress do i know im just a dumb pissbaby who pretends to know about cars for all the MASSIVE E-CREDIT it will bring me on this internet forum i should just kill myself to better the dialogue amirite?

No but you see if I draw the target on the side of the barn after I've fired at it, every one of my shots will be bullseyes!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Darchangel posted:

Boy, she'd poo poo a brick if she ever rode/drove in a rotary-powered car. 65 in 5th is over 3000 RPM (8000 RPM redline), and you'd never get anywhere only revving it to 2500. I shift at 5-6000 RPM when I'm driving casually.

Yeah the first time I ever drove an Integra Type-R I thought it was a piece of poo poo with no guts. My mate that owned it pointed out that the tacho goes to 9k and that you have to wring its neck to get anywhere. Still a piece of poo poo though, but for completely different reasons.

1500quidporsche posted:

No clue where that wing is from but I throughly enjoyed "Queensland - The Smart State" being on that car's plate

The biggest, nastiest lie I've ever seen on a car.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavvy posted:

Did aussie get ITR's??

Yep, it was fairly late in their life cycle but we did get them. And they were actually pretty good...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I thought ITRs were fairly accepted as an extremely capable FWD car.

...except for that particular one which had been purchased second hand from someone who owned it for two years and really didn't look after it. As I'm sure everyone reading this knows, VTEC really doesn't like when you miss oil changes. This one didn't like it to the tune of a broken camshaft at the pulley, which resulted in the car no longer running, and I don't think those are non-interference engines. My mate took an absolute beating on that because of the price difference between what he paid for it and what he sold it for. The guy he sold it to was also a friend of a friend who was far smarter about this sort of thing. He sorted out the engine, pulled the running gear out and put it in a Leyland Mini for track work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

No. No no no, no. Nope. Nuh-uh.

Nope nope, nopity-no. Negativo. Нет. Non. ノー

Just no.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

If I wanted one of those 1" drive 6000ft/lb monsters, what should I be googling for, and what sacrifices will I need to make? Just a goat, or are we moving to actual human sacrifice territory?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Maybe it's just in the Northeast, but I thought that simcon roofs died off in the 90s. Apparently I was wrong.

:barf:

Wait what? That car isn't a convertible? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zochness posted:

Saw this the other day:

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have?