Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Do some cars not have a physical link between the transmission and shift lever anymore? If there's a bug in some software or an electrical short, can you not shift out of drive? That seems unsafe if you can't simply disengage the engine from the transmission...

Worked on a Ford Expedition that didn't have any sort of physical linkage and that was like 2007 or 2008 I think? It's probably pretty common these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Something ain't right here....

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Sorry, too subtle. Reverse lights were on at all times, car sure wasn't going backwards though

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
You can't ignore demand - its higher than its ever been. Speculation or not, when demand goes up but supply doesn't increase as fast or by as much, prices go up. They're working over the oil sands in Canada for a reason.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Fog machine, we have the technology :science:

When I was a stupid teenager some friends and I put a fog machine in a car and ran it full blast while cruising the area where all the other stupid teenagers cruised on Friday and Saturday nights. We'd crack the windows at stop lights and let the smoke billow out, it was actually pretty awesome from a stupid teenager point of view and was a big hit.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Not pictured: the diamond plate hood.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

VikingSkull posted:

When you work for a rather large auto auction that sells tens of thousands of cars a year, stuff like this happens. I've seen cars totally destroyed in far more careless ways than this.

My old boss was standing in a Manheim lot on auction day near the exotics/high end vehicles. A Maserati rolls past him, no driver, door partially open, in gear at idle. No one notices, no one cares. It would have just rolled on into a Porsche except he jumped in it and stopped it.

An employee comes over looking for the car and he tells the employee what happened, and the guy was just like "oh", hops in and drives it off to the auction lane.

Auction day is sheer madness and a couple grand in damage to a car is not something they worry about too much from everything I've heard.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It depends entirely on each state's own laws....

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think red flashers like that aren't illegal to possess, but they are illegal to actually use on a public road.

For example, in Wisconsin it is illegal to display red lenses if they face the front of the vehicle. Even if they do not illuminate, it is still illegal.

Red lenses faceing rearwards are fine, but they must operate with the brake lights or hazard flashers, or in a manner similar to them. (Two red lights flashing simultaneously would be fine, but flashing right/left would be illegal).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tusen Takk posted:

I understand that when you pound on the brakes it locks all four wheels and that pulling the ebrake did diddly squat.

Despite your cat like inhuman reflexes, any activity that took concentration away from applying the brake pedal and modulating the amount of force applied to it so that you apply the maximum amount of stopping power while not locking the wheels up (threshold braking) actually significantly increased your stopping distance and the speed at which you hit the idiot in the other car. The point is don't do that poo poo again you're not helping the situation.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Pretty sure they're speaking spanish in that video, so guessing this is from Mexico or South America... I think cops in Spain would have shown up to this kind of thing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
So much for my assumptions :)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Those protege5s rust worse than any other car in recent memory.

Turns out the Protege sedan isn't much better :(

2003 - everything is rusting. Trunk lid has rust in the same spot as that 5, rear wheel arches, all four doors are rusting out from inside, and I just spotted a bubble on the leading edge of the hood too.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It also probably checks to see if the plate/car was reported stolen and flags it for a sworn officer to respond

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is that a projector screen under the hood? What the hell

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Spotted at the local grocery store....

A little old lady who could barely walk was the owner of it.... sad

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Devyl posted:

I just noticed the window is open. How bad was the smell? I've noticed hoarders' houses range from 'slightly skunky' to 'sticking a pound of ground beef under the sink in a small trashcan, adding a cup of water, leaving it covered for a month, then taking a huge sniff'.

Don't know, pretty sure I was up wind.... But a lot of that garbage looked like food wrappers and other disgusting mess so I assume it has to be horrible.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Somewhere in Minnesota... cop cars don't need plates in that state. The Minneapolis cop cars all have plates that simply say POLICE on them.

Plus the silver GM SUV has a Minnesota plate.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nice car, why is this posted here?

What the gently caress?

Found outside a bar, it sat there for a few hours like that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

:confused:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Full interior shot

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BoostCreep posted:

I wish they would have left the engine and transmission in the 59 so it would be an actual worthwhile test. The people in the Bel Air would be dead regardless, but it sure would have done a lot more damage to the Malibu. The test ended up being more like "here is what happens when you put some thin sheet metal in front of a full weight 2009 Chevrolet at speed"

The car had it's engine and transmission intact and was in drivable condition.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/?_r=0

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Kill-9 posted:

I need to get a magnetic lock box some day. I usually don't lock the truck but school is back in session and our office shares a building with the local 'troubled kids' high school. I don't need some opportunistic delinquent walking off with my sunglasses or the $5 in change in the ash tray.

Get a small zip tie and just zip tie the key somewhere under the truck. More secure than the magnetic boxes and you can still twist the key off the tie with the small ones

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Terrible political stuff not related to cars is boring.

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/LJCTi

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Oil changes look easy at least.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 18, 2013

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dr.Smasher posted:

I was looking more at the red puddle by the window. Kinda freaking me out.

That actually (probably) is blood... that's exactly where the fire department hauled the driver out of the van before stuffing him in the ambulance. Are you more freaked out now? :)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

davebo posted:

So, I know it looks like a Beetle now that it's all squished in but is that a Cavalier in the intersection that managed to knock him upside down and 50+ feet away? Because that's pretty A.I. I think.

Good eye

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
OH HELL NO MY RIMS! gently caress! poo poo!!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f9f_1382587962

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Well you're absolutely right I guess :)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

exempt posted:

Ken Block owns DC Shoes, so it's not like they're forcing him to wear it.

Block hasn't owned DC Shoes since 2004 - Quiksilver owns DC now.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

FogHelmut posted:

This was my car last year

I hosed that off as soon as I could.

That's my car every winter. It's also going on 11 years old and every single body panel is rusting away :(

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ulfhednar posted:

On the topic of town's over-salting the roads, I drove back to Chicago today, and snapped a pic of an intersection I had stopped at.

That's not snow. :stonk:

They don't really do this intentionally - the flow rate out of the dump box to the spreader was set for whatever speed the truck was traveling, which is going to be very excessive for an intersection. For a momentary stop like a stop sign it's probably not worth loving with the controls to change the flow rate for one second.

Salt is cheap so it's also probably not cost effective to have better controls for the system either.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
You would think people who live in Wisconsin would be fairly good at driving in snow..... NOPE

http://bcove.me/mu9yo09a

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Speeding helps on long trips, but is pretty pointless on short ones.

300 miles at 65 mph, 4 hrs, 37 minutes.
300 miles at 75 mph, 4 hrs.

20 miles at 65 mph, 18 minutes.
20 miles at 75 mph, 16 minutes.

Throw in traffic, stop lights, etc, and it's just not worth speeding in town. Considering he is using a 17.8 mile commute as his example, it supports his example. I'm the same way... getting somewhere a minute faster isn't worth a ~$300 ticket. Different story on the freeway where you can usually spot cops pretty easily, especially if there is other traffic ahead of you and you consider random braking to be a warning sign of a speed trap.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ulfhednar posted:

It came from tumblr

Of course it's a Scion

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti