Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I actually noticed the rear bulkhead being missing first, but that horrible abomination of a cage kinda took over all my attention. Why are the ends crushed like that? It almost looks like instead of cutting the tubing to fit they just smashed it flat and bent it to create two bars from one, and then welded the entire mangled tube to the main hoop. Please someone tell me I'm wrong here.

Quick and dirty edit to show what I mean:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That Fiero doesn't belong in the same sentence as this thread. I love it, it is absolutely pants on head retarded but appears well built over all. Digging the over-the-roof exhaust.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The only time I tried selling a car on Craigslist (a 1996 Lumina for $1.2k) I said I would consider trades but I DID NOT WANT a large truck or any other '90s American sedan at all but would consider literally anything else. I only got two phone calls for that ad, one wanting to know if I would trade for a 1988 Ford F-250 4x4 quad-cab and the other one had a 1992 Chevy Corsica with the 2.8l. :fuckoff:

I've had pretty good luck buying cars from Craigslist though.

E: I eventually destroyed the Lumina with a tree, a bayonet, several construction tools, various bits of other vehicles, a washing machine, an angle-grinder, my fists/feet, and several hundred rounds of ammunition. In that order.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 6, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Throatwarbler posted:

He was obviously trying to pull a fast one over you. The 2.8l was discontinued in 1989. ]

It honestly probably was an '89, fucker called me at 7am on a Saturday to offer me something I said multiple times in the ad I wasn't interested in. I was...not nice.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Part of me wants this to be real because it's a fantastic way for morons to remove themselves from the gene-pool. On the other hand they'll probably take a daycare with them or something.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 20, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

So? Lowered trucks, when done competently, are cool :colbert:

Sooner or later someone is going to wander in here and spout off some ridiculous bullshit about lowered dualies being the exception to this and I would like to point out that they are loving wrong.

Because slammed dualies are the best kind of lowered truck.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:stare:

Or break his spine coming out of the sunroof, look at the...well, everything. I hope he was walking to the nearest gas station to buy I lotto ticket.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The world ending meteor cannot come for this miserable planet fast enough.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

No gold spray-painted hubcaps, 3/5.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

Haha, that's rich.

Try replacing the rear hatch struts on a Citroën C5 wagon. They run horizontally inside the roof and are just barely strong enough to hold the hatch open when it's warm out, in the winter they're completely useless even when new.

Volvo 850's have the struts in the same location, I was so dismayed when I noticed. To make it worse because of how they designed the rear interior you have to remove everything from the floor up to get the headliner off :argh:

Thankfully they are strong enough to hold the hatch even when it's cold, though sometimes it takes a few extra seconds for them to reach a full strength hold.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That 930 kitted Beetle wouldn't be too awful if you chopped the roof a few inches, imo. The El Caddino rules.

IIRC that gif is from a Finnish rally in the 90s.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

quote:

El Cadino

quote:

El Cadillero

quote:

El Caddy

quote:

the Cadillero

quote:

Caddy Camino

quote:

Cadallino

I think we need a poll to settle once and for all the proper name for this thing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I cannot even imagine the quantity and magnitude of poor decisions going on there.

The car on the lift has what looks like Fiero wheels, to the surprise of nobody.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

They also have a Liberty University one, which makes me want to vomit

Try living 30 minutes away from it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

N is for Nipples posted:

Should've stolen it.

...and moved it to the farthest spot from the building, then locked the trunk with the keys in it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
TEMS uses adjustable hydraulic shocks, not air; It was an option on the SC430 but not the LS430 which got the air struts :eng101:. I'm not even sure Toyota has an acronym for their air suspension.

edit: have a lovely car to go with this lovely post

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

I guess I'll go ahead and open that can of worms. Why didn't he just clutch in and turn it off? I understand the argument that non-car-people don't think about such things, but there's no way that a person who built his own goddamn street-rod isn't mechanically minded.

I see I've been beaten to this but here's my take:

Most hot-rods like that tend to have automatic transmissions and regular unassisted drum brakes, making catching a runaway like that a bit more difficult, especially factoring in reaction times and the short distance they had to stop anyway.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ror posted:

over $100k in it
two 12As
two sets of Jaguar IRS.
gullwing doors.

That thing is like the car version of Hellraiser's puzzle-box. :catstare:

Ror posted:

spoiler alert, it doesn't run.

This is redundant :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Previa_fun posted:

If it's anything like the Avenger I had as a rental a few weeks ago it's also mated to a shittastic four-speed autobox.

Oh man, don't tell me they're still selling cars with the loving 41TE in them.

fake edit: They are (the 41TES). Goddammit, Chrysler.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Had a guy brag to me last night about how he had replaced the passenger side (like, the B pillar, C pillar and floor pan) of his mothers car after she was T-boned using only an oxy torch and wire coat hangers as welding tools. Favorite bit: "yyeap, yah gotta pull up on the rear door a bit to get it to latch but otherwise it looks like nothin happened" :catstare: :gonk: I share the road with this abomination.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I had to rent a '13 Hyundai Sonata several months back, and apart from it being astonishingly ugly looking on the outside, I really enjoyed commuting in it. It had decent power for an NA straight-4 and averaged 30+ mpg while I had it, even though I flogged it every chance I got. The transmission shifted smoothly and quickly, didn't hunt going uphill and even downshifted going down hills without being told. It responded well to the paddle shifters, which made it decently fun once I got used to them. I was pretty impressed by it, but maybe I'm easy to please.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 30, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There is (was? it was a loooong time ago) a build thread for that monument of poor decisions somewhere on the internet. I remember being like "gently caress yeah, door slammer quarter-mile Celica!" and then I got to the dead rear axle and non-functional go-fast bits and just closed the window and shook my head.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

I just...what...why? I think I need to go lie down.

edit:

PopeOnARope posted:

...swinging around the corpse of the English language.

Thank you for a new favorite phrase.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 3, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Passive-Aggressive Shithead posted:

As I read your message about moving to another exhaust system, I’m thinking that probably is the sensible thing to do, sooner rather than later.

gently caress the legality, I'll help.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

So what kind of side impact rating does packing tape come with?

Depends on the mil you use :unsmigghh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

Reading that poo poo makes me hate the world I swear.

This, I really don't understand why you are bending over backwards for these people. You've spent several hundred dollars trying to make whiny entitled assholes happy. Why.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

drukqs posted:

Their terrier just sent me a valentines day card.

:allears:

This just keeps getting creepier better by the day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ror posted:

I would also accept an actual organ.

I was really hoping youtube would have something, anything related to this car but no such luck. I was really hoping to hear this amazing creation, "Depending upon the speed at which the motor is running, the sound of the calliope can be heard from six to eight blocks away". :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

este posted:

It's not just snow, there could be lots of reasons - ice storms taking out overhead lines, people responsible for maintaining said systems being unable to get to work, etc. Or maybe its just easier to take down tracking than it is to field thousands of calls from people about "why their package is taking so long" :v:

I'm willing to bet money it's just the latter. "Oh poo poo, snow is about to delay hundreds of thousands of packages, and I hate dealing with whiny assholes" *kicks power cord for tracking server* "Woops, problems with the network guys, you'll get your poo poo whenever don't call me"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

West SAAB Story posted:

I don't understand why you guys are so ready to kick the underlying LOGISTICS infrastructure to the curb when you know, its the driver who not only has to scan the poo poo, but stick it into the QUALLCOMMMZ port to have things uploaded and updated. I know drivers who intentionally didn't do this until end-of-day to avoid being pestered.

I'm also familiar enough with our local USPS folk to know that only one of the drivers bothers to scan things for pickup before returning to the mothership.

FedEx, though, seems to do things as they were told. :confused:

I guess my area is an anomaly, I cannot remember the last time I got a package that was beat to poo poo or delayed by more than a day, regardless or whether UPS, FedEx, or USPS delivered it. This goes for the packages that are delivered daily at work too, in a different city 40 miles away. I know they update their poo poo regularly because we have had people calling about stuff when it had literally just been dropped off an hour before.

That isn't terrible car poo poo though, so have this crappy picture of a candy-green Skull-Blazer I snapped going through the drive-thru at Wendy's last week.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I can only assume it's fake or the only reason his dad is buying him a Lotus Exige is to hasten the demise of his idiot son.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
poo poo, that's terrible. I remember when you posted the pictures of the beautiful wiring harness job and in general the whole car was just great.

This is why if I ever manage to get into rally, it will be in a car I don't give a gently caress about.

On the other hand, I found this while searching Craigslist last night.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those are definitely S15 headlights. They also look like they are aimed straight at the ground.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The kind of person who would willingly purchase a brand new car with bacon vinyl is not going to be able to afford a new car. They're too busy posting on Reddit from their parent's basement.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
FB RX-7 with a straight pipe is always a good recipe for shooting flames and in general being uncouth as hell.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Bet they tore one of the air shocks, that happens pretty regularly to those Rovers. Or the height-sensor got looked at sternly.

Pictured: an L322 Rover with some sick stance courtesy of superior British engineering.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 2, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Gonna need a big rear end piece of cardboard to cover that grill up in the winter!

If it's anything like the new gaping-maw Mazdas over half of it will be solid plastic with texturing anyway.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

I'll have you know they used the very best trampoline frame to build that cage. The option wouldn't cost $10K otherwise.

I think it might be a CGI cage, actually. It's hard to tell, that entire picture has been post processed to hell.

Probably just wishful thinking.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Pfft it's not a joke if you don't spend two pages pointing out how funny it is.

Ah, I see you follow PYFs Joke Posting Standard, but you forgot the extra two pages of goons pointing out all the ways that the joke wasn't funny and why you should feel bad for making it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

They were great for antisocial people with semi good credit.

This describes, to a T, the only person I know that willingly owns a PT, and even they admit that it's pretty shite but it still goes and stops so why get something else.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had to return one my then-wife had rented. I was only in the car 20 minutes and wanted to drive it into a tree.

I've only ridden in one once, for less than 4 miles, and I could not wait to get out of it the whole time.