Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Another reason to never, ever go to jiffy lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

azflyboy posted:

I ended up driving a Volt for a couple of weeks last month, and it has the same rear visiblity issues, so I think it's a GM conspiracy to sell more backup camera options and rear bumpers for dealers.

Unless the object behind you is taller than about five feet, it's completely invisible without the use of the backup camera. Going fowards isn't much better, since the hood is entirely out of the drivers line of sight, which makes parking a lot of fun. Reversing or parking the Volt relies heavily on use of the backup camera and front/rear proximity sensors to judge distance from things, and I'm completely baffled as to why they're not a standard feature on a $40K car with those visibility issues.

My family used to own a 94 Suburban, which managed to have better rear visibility than the Volt (without the backup camera) despite being the size of a small house.

It really makes the rears of the cars look bizarre too, especially for hatches and wagons. They're just this big, flat expanse of metal with a tiny little window. It looks very disproportional.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The Antipop posted:

Yes, there was an anchor next to the driver's side rear tire that he took out and put there.

Both of these belong in the awesome thread, who wouldn't want to drive the THUNDER MAZDA?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The zipties in the armrest really complete this picture. It's perfect.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I love these meta airbrush drawings with the truck they are on in them.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Found on a scion tC.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Godholio posted:

Hey, look who never drove a car from the 80s.

Edit: Actually, I think most of them would fit the description.

80s Subarus were woefully underpowered but they did have a hill holder, so there you go

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nubile Hillock posted:

Not so stupid now, is it? :colbert:

☐ Caulk car and float it across
☑ Try to ford the river
☐ Take a ferry across
☐ Wait to see if conditions improve

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Fart Pipe posted:

I take a picture any time I park next to a Subaru.

You are not alone.

Although I stick to same year and color

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Like a glove.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Unless you had Jeff Fischer in your house. :v:

(I'd drive one...)

One of my old coworkers has a 91 Aerostar cargo van, no windows, bright white paint, with whatever wheels were awesome in 1995. He occasionally pulls it out and uses it for delivery duty; he claims to get a lot of :wtc: looks from parents in it.

e: found a picture! :neckbeard:
e2: removed plates

It looks so sad just sitting there

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Linked from that Top Gear page, a V12 made out of bones? I'm so confused.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Berkeley California...

(Note the Punker/Metalhead jacket studs inlaid around the license plate frame :rock:...'Vote for Pedro' sticker for extra :ughh:)

Berkeley is the source of some of my favorite cars, you really never know what you're going to see there. The variety is outstanding.

A Saab V4

Immaculate Vanagon Syncro

The Space Corolla

This thing actually moved under it's own power and was carrying a load of wood.

This one is from SF obviously but I just liked the color a lot

There's a weird time capsule effect going on here since cars don't really rust at all they just kind of keep rolling along until something catastrophic happens to them.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, I had the same idea. I was taking the picture and laughing about the screws until I realized that the spring perch they were haphazardly thrown into wasn't actually connected to the spring itself, then I realized that being under/around this thing was a really lovely idea.

All I can say is that I pray that they brought this thing to the lot on a flatbed as a trade-in, but I have a really, really bad feeling it drove there. :gonk:

That said, I am now feeling smug as all hell about my nonexistent welding skills, because I was actually able to lap weld things together without it looking like that frame "fix". Dude hit the Trifecta of gently caress between the nasty booger welds that don't even connect the two pieces of metal, the burn-through on the frame, and the machine screws thrown in there for good measure. How this thing managed to pass inspection last year is a mystery.

Well there's no way in hell they would ever sell that thing so you can at least be glad it will never be on the road again, until the owner does the same to his new vehicle.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hey there qtpie ;-*

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Rat Rod Neon Green Wide Body Turbo 1978 Subaru Wagon 19 in BMW rims

Wide body 1978 Subaru Wagon 1600 blow though carb turbo with inter cooler,
hks blow off valve,
rear wheel drive,
r180 rear diff and unjoint axles not cvs
3, inch stainless exhaust from turbo back bolt on modified invidia exhaust,
19 inch bbs knock off rims BMW bolt pattern had the hubs machined for rims,
car is lowered 3 inches custom front coil overs and rear cantilever with adjustable coil overs as well.
Voodoo boost controller, modified shifter with a short throw,
Toyota corolla fender mirrors,
1992 Subaru ss turbo scoop that functionally blows on inter cooler,
BMW projector headlights with hids, custom led taillights and red neon under glow for rear.
has rust holes in floor have done some patch work to floor.
I was building this car for track but can be driven on the road I drive it every day.

Hope you have your tetanus booster.

They have loving awesome weed in Portland.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ghost Farts posted:

Someone tell me I'm imagining things, but is there something glowing under the car in the second picture?

BMW projector headlights with hids, custom led taillights and red neon under glow for rear.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ladies.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Parked in front of the carpet shop too, the man knows his territory.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cable was too short

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

It would involve pulling the interior off the side of the car to get at the plugs attached to the seat belt tensioner :effort:

Most cars that cover is held on with barely more than some plastic clips, takes like five seconds to remove. If it really bugs you that much.

I just waited long enough for the buzzer in my car to die.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

walmart, like you even had to ask

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DILLIGAF posted:

Wrong thread. Well, maybe the paint belongs here, but as a bike hauler, that is pretty cool.

I do appreciate that he went to the effort of getting six matching wheels for that thing but I have doubts about the structural integrity. There's no triangulation where the trailer meets the van, one good bump and it'll fold in half like a rusted out Toyota truck.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Spotted in SF today. Probably done "ironically" or something but the end result is still pretty awful. Oddly in better condition that most Previas still on the road.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

My H has been stolen! Awww, that's how people know it's a Honda. Why would you drive a Honda if you can't show it off?

WTF why can't I find a video clip of that. Terrible car stuff indeed.

Fox is relentless with their takedowns on YouTube, the only things left are lovely camera pointed at a TV videos.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Speak of the devil, spotted this on an Abarth 500

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Bog standard Civic. Why?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Those tails look like no civic I can remember.

Looks like an Acura EL was a thing until 2004 :spergin:

Man I just looked this up and you're right, it was a Civic with different lights. Weird.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Just Chrysler Things

yes that's a turbine

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

:catstare:

How'd it get all the way back there?

Inertia probably.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

What? That's clearly the passenger door.

Just gonna savor this post

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Vitamin J posted:

An actual, honest-to-god, running and driving Maserati Biturbo!

It looks like an 80s Nissan with those wheels, good lord

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

FREE! power

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

wow look at all those words nobody should post

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

revmoo posted:

Stud broke off in a helicoil?

Stud, off center helicoil, and another stud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

American beaters seem like they all had great climate control. My Cavalier would melt my boots in winter and frost up the windshield in summer.

It's a golden ticket selling point to any sticky, sweaty slightly round American during those hot humid summer months. Imagine walking around a sweltering dealership lot, the salesman starts up the car and frost pours out of the vents like the kiss of an icy angel. Sold.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 1, 2015