Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It also matters a lot on a vehicle if the entire frame including engine block serves as a ground for electrics, hence the possibility/consideration for galvanization.

Edit: Agreeing with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Nope, the GTR is a lot less. You'd get a Juke-R if you had serious problems with taste and poor spending.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I apologize for crap (and huge!)cell phone pictures. I know absolutely nothing about photography and I'll re size them when I have a moment between finals.

Coming out of the TD Bank in Winooski, VT today and I see that
I'm parked next to this...thing.

I don't even know, I didn't stay long enough to investigate as I feared having to actually meet or see the person who drives it. It also only had 3 of the gold wheels.
An Alpina, huh? Pretty rare, from what little I know. They're basically an authorized BMW manufacturer that put in a bit more luxury in the trims/models, and often powertrain changes. For one thing, instead of a turbocharger, you might see a supercharger. I'd probably choose an Alpina over a regular 3-series if given the option, but they are also more expensive.

Edit: Read this, since I was rather off about what Alpina is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpina

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Haha, well either way that particular one does deserve to be in this thread.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Viggen posted:

This is why I like having a shitbox for errands. Block 'em in. I blocked in a dotcom-rich porsche owner who took up 5 parking spots once (in a very small lot) nearly a lifetime ago. My buddy with the beat up 80s Toyota and my big old G-Body kept his car safe and secure in the parking lot overnight. :angel:
Couldn't he get your cars towed, or is it a private lot? I suppose you could have called a tow truck on him as well.
I like your approach more, don't get me wrong, but I wonder what I could do in those circumstances and see if I would have gotten away with blocking someone in as well.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Bwahahaha! loving hell, that's quite the pig with lipstick that'll be on the roads.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

I love my TDi and all... but drat do they have a disappointing exhaust note. There's the diesel rumble/clatter but behind it I just can't help but hear the audio equivalent of :v:

Also for awful exhaust and running sounds I nominate the 2.9L Cologne V6: A tale of rattles and clanking signifying nothing

And I'd just like to say that I've tried, repeatedly, to understand how an automatic transmission actually functions and it just escapes me. I see pictures and diagrams and just end up going "yup, that sure is a mechanical thingy, I tell you what". I've got a handle on torque converters but the transmissions are powered by hopes, dreams, and the use of strange eldritch mechanicals to confuse the universe into changing the ratio of input and output speeds as far as I can figure out.
Eric the Car Guy is one of the coolest cats around that might explain it for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbsgpp2YJQ
Also part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qf6O0oAs7U

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Jesus, cop impersonation, but really not, since he isn't dressing the part. Still, the flashing lights should have gotten that guy into poo poo if you had gone through with reporting it.

And if you handed your poo poo over, he'd probably note your address and drive off with it. Then rob your house later.

Speaking of which, it's why you generally don't want to keep things with your address on it in your car. Someone breaks in, takes your car (or not), goes to your house, sees if anybody is home, and takes your poo poo. After all, you were out, right? Got a garage opener and don't keep the inside locked? Even better.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I think it's not something I'd want to have to do, myself. Getting into someone else's car without their consent is something you might get into some trouble for if caught in the act, despite them still being in the wrong for parking inconsiderately.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Spotted a couple of blocks from my house:

Okay, that's practically something right out of a 14 year-old's first foray through Need for Speed: Underground.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Touch screens are infinitely better than a single-DIN unit could hope to be if you want to sift through a lot of artists/songs easily without using voice controls or whatever.
That said, it's still not so much a demand for a touch screen, but just a decent multi-line (5+) screen that shows you a bunch of artists, and pagination. Most modern nav-equipped cars today often come with non-touch screens that can sift through this stuff quickly, too. A single-din won't really compare, to me.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
That rear end looks like a transformer's face. Why is Lamborghini making everything look so busy? Kind of dig the dynamic aero bodywork thing that supercars are adopting.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, it's also seen as a CSX here until the recent generation of Acura lineup. It's a nicer Civic, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

Double the mediocrity, double the fun!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6070991052.html

Of course it still has the anemic 4 banger in there, you really thought it wouldn't?

There's a turbocharged 4-banger 2.4L apparently, but that just makes it a slightly faster wheeled dumpster.