Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Gomi Day posted:

:psyduck:

(i almost think this might be the wrong thread)

EPA tractors are normally cars for underaged people with the barest minimum of modifications to make them 'tractors'. Nice to see someone approaching from the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Powershift posted:

$36k for something you can't even put a plate on.

It's 172hp in 1500lbs which gives it a 4.4 second 0-60 which is awesome, but still. the first gen raptor was only $42k

I priced up a Kawasaki Mule for my farm and wound up importing a 4wd Kei truck for less money.

e: all SxS units are absurdly overpriced in Au because they're fitted with ROPS. Fitting ROPS to your quad would, according to the manufacturer, result in your getting a terminal illness.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 5, 2017

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
What a brilliant design feature that totally won't drive people mad when the person in front of them plays the 'stop, scooch up, stop, and scooch up again' game.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

No... it's not quite like that. At all. Burning a car you bought to make a point is weird and maybe useles and obsessive in a slightly disturbing way, but killing a dog to make a point is psychopathic. I'm a little worried that you would draw that parallel. Any dismembered animals in shallow graves in your parents' garden the police should know about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHRDh0TdTkE

Personally, I think it must suck to be the salesman that let him take it for a test drive.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Until you de-prime the oil pump then make all the expensive noises almost immediately after start up.

Some cam chain tensioner designs allow the plunger to fall out when the cam chain runs the wrong way, which will almost certainly see you jump timing and save you from bottom end expensive noises; interference motors will give you a consolation prize with some top end expensive noises.

As a rule of thumb: Don't spin modern 4 strokes the wrong way*.

*: Please someone find a Maserati that spins the engine the wrong way instead of having reverse gear.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Memento posted:

My first thought was "shouldn't that be a Mustang?"

I'd have gone 1980s camaro, and put there so the owner could work on it in the rain.

Mazda BT-50s are also in the recall and I look forward to other manufacturers coming forward with similar recalls over time; I don't imagine "grass gets stuck on bits of exhaust that didn't used to get you're-joking-degrees hot but now do" is a single-designer issue.

e: I like commas, a bit too much, and use them far too frequently, but don't worry, I normally catch them, in edit,,,.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 21, 2017

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
e: The original post was far too easy to parse as an attack on other posters.

Please don't do the fire trick to seat tyres, there are safer alternatives.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 14, 2018

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Don't most alloy wheels use differential cooling and internal stress to help strengthen the wheel? Because I'm looking at a whole lot of annealing going on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cFMlLDE4A Here, have a frost heave where someone's built a road over a swamp (I guess). Sadly, no-one in a GAZ or lada decides to go hurtling over it blasting late '90s eurobeat.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 17, 2018

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8mQhxhE_Q

But seriously, are people saying that Ford (or any other company) should continue to produce a low-margin product that isn't selling instead of focusing on the product the market wants?

As others have noted, Ford continues to produce cars elsewhere in the world. If there's another oil shock they're able to bring in smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient vehicles as and when the market for such a vehicle justifies the expense.

Personally, I can't wait for people to work out that the SUV is the new minivan.

vvv: We are making GBS threads in the nest at a truly impressive pace.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 27, 2018

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Fo3 posted:

What are they going to call gmh as now most cars are from gm korea and they're going bust?

"Hey, you remember that other car company that used to be here? Had the lion logo. 05 Marlboro motors or something?"

But I'd guess we'll wind up with a bunch of half-assed RHD conversions of US rental piles, since they I don't think they have anything from Europe to give us.

Maybe they'll sell the Holden marque to PSA?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I may have posted this a while ago but here is some poo poo I think is horrible car poo poo:

Subaru, Porsche, or whatever with horizontally opposed engine and loud exhaust system. They all sound like they're running on half their cylinders and can't decide which ones.

Sooo..... Yeah, sounds awful.

Technically terrible car stuff: the unequal length cheap and nasty headers that people stick on boxer 'performance' exhausts.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
If we're doing "post your favourite flat- n cylinder engine" derail, I humbly submit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP5Svl16Qg

Also, Mazda should put the 26B in mass production and make it an option in the MX5.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

xzzy posted:

I knew a guy that had a E36/E46 (forget which exactly) that his wife nailed a deer with. Apparently she didn't get out of the car, just stopped for a moment, didn't see the deer anywhere, decided the car was running fine so she just kept on trucking her way home.

Turns out she ran over the top of it, when dude went outside to check the car there was a trail of blood headed down the driveway so he looks under the car and sees half the carcass twisted into the rear suspension. He ended up sending it to the junkyard because it was so loving gross no one wanted to fix it.

Just daily it. Eventually the corpse problem resolves itself. Source: talking to truck drivers in central Australia.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Is the battery pack installed at that stage of production? I vaguely recall that it runs under the floor pan.

Because we all know, deep down, what the probabilities are that the cars are specifically engineered to be moved around the factory on a forklift.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Rhyno posted:

drat.

So details?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

of course applying the same mentality to a giant metal and concrete structure full of people and machinery in earthquakeville and a dumb website / mobile app may not be the best course of action, but what do I know

See, that's why making it a tent is actually an act of visionary leadership - after The Big One hits, staff will just cut their way out from under the debris with a pocket knife.

What I guess I'm saying is that Musk should start building canvas skyscrapers.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Painted rust and a timber chock instead of a handbrake.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Memento posted:

As if your Mini Countryman wasn't bad enough already.

Are those remote lights for a vehicle under tow?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
It looks like something that's not the new supra being painted up to look very, very, very unlike a new Supra.

Whatever it is, it's hideous.

vvv: Unless the dazzle cam on the ones I've seen has been much better than I give them credit for, the new supra doesn't have a trunk lid you could land a helicopter on.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 7, 2018

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ofbBHsg.mp4

Illegally imported vehicle in the UK, crushing it is part of the punishment.

Wouldn't it make more sense to sell it as you would most non-illicit seized proceeds of crime? Isn't that a bed in an NHS hospital for a year being crushed?

Make no mistake, I'm squarely on the "gently caress that guy" train, but that's what helicopter flights over the Atlantic are for.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I think his conversion was a film studio coach/hauler to RV.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
That's universal to any sort of metering instrument (that's not regulated seven ways from Sunday) that gets used by the public.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cage posted:

Found on my local craigslist. Not pictured: transformers badge, police interceptor badge, carbon fiber door handle vinyls

edit: WHY DIDNT THEY CAPITALIZE "Me" :argh:

The best thing that could happen at this point would be for the owner to put it out of its misery by banging it off the rev limiter in neutral for 15 minutes in a Tesco carpark.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

bennyfactor posted:

That's where the shifter is on the Fiat Multipla, obstensibly to accomodate the 3-wide front seating, but much more likely just as a continuation of the batshit styling from the exterior to the interior

Interior by Fisher Price.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Memento posted:

Cleaning interior plastics

I really wanted there to be sound with this.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

MetaJew posted:

He also will put the transmission into neutral, clutch out, and coast down the road going 50+ mph. (I don't ride in cars with him anymore.)

Borescope the mainshaft. I'm interested how bad the scoring from neutral coasting really is.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Yes, but it's submarine-grade plastic wrap.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Galler posted:

16 computers all of which would be full of coolant after a few years?

You're making a big claim about the plastics not disintegrating thereby allowing the coolant to drain.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Gomi Day posted:

F150 crash talk reminds me of a video i came across a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BuAs3FKnzY

dude is bemoaning the torn up body panels on the F150 that flew over a cliff and how you can cut yourself up real bad on those, getting out post-accident and how insane it is. (despite the cabin being prettymuch totally intact and the people having walked away)

then he praises how well the chevrolet truck that ALSO went over a cliff held up. pointing out how smooth the roof pillars are and.. well, i can't even articulate the level of disconnection this dude has with reality (the biohazard sticker on the chevy is a nice touch, though.)

Doesn't that specific sticker denotes that the most recent operator, or an appreciable fraction of them, are still in there?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Goddammit Chik-Fil-A. I just wanted to enjoy your food, not have to deal with a moral quandary about doing so.

Back on terrible car stuff track, Lexus, somehow, against all possibility, has UPPED their gaping maw game.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a27209703/lexus-lm-luxury-minivan-photos-info/

It eats smaller cars for fuel, I think.
I wonder when the front of the car will just be entirely a grille?

Lexus' new gas turbine powered hypercar looks a lot like a people mover.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Powershift posted:

Looks like the box is on a hook lift, which could be cool, but i somehow doubt that's a legal license plate.

[wheel removed with cutoff wheel]

How the gently caress does your brain even take you to this place?

"Once I remove the wheel, I can drill out the backside of the studs. Don't worry, I can JBWeld it back together afterwards".

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Some stance idiot will see this and immediately try to replicate it on their Honda Jazz. They'll then complain when Honda doesn't cover the broken chassis under warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

I'm confused - why have a bonnet (hood) that the owner can raise at all at this stage?