Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
With Manufacturer plates no less, that's a very interesting find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have an irrational hatred towards this crap.

and I have no clue why only imgur is rotating this thing. It looks fine everywhere else.

I don't think there's anything irrational about not liking it when people ruin their cars performance and safety for the sake of looks/being "in" on the "scene"

There was a short video of a Z that had been hellaruined slamming into another scenester car on the freeway after the bead broke, and I wish I could find it now.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
SKULLS EVERYWHERE BRO

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

Why not phone up the DMV yourself and rant about how offensive and homophobic the plate is to you?

This would only really be funny if he made it believable and recorded the conversation for our entertainment.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
An old roommate ran her Saturn coupe for 2 years and many tens of thousands of miles without changing the oil. It sounded like one of those old Detroit Diesels that had been sitting for 30 years by the time she moved out, how it still ran was beyond my comprehension. She was under the impression that adding a quart was the same as changing the oil, apparently she'd added over 10 during that period of time :psyduck: The engine probably had so much blow-by and bearing damage that sludge was the only thing keeping it going.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

jamal posted:

Today I ran into his mom and found out she just spent $5200 getting an airbag replaced in her allroad.

:stare:

Throatwarbler posted:

Did I stumble into hondatech? What is with all this domestic hate? The Lacrosse assuming you mean the new one is a legitimately very good car that has sold very well and has been perfectly reliable. The 200 may not be the best car in the segment(that's why it's the cheapest) but it's perfectly adequate, reliable transportation and with the 3.6l V6 pretty fast.

I would buy a Sebring in an instant if it was the right price and had the 4 cyl with a manual. Even the 2.7l and the auto weren't too bad in the later years, friend of mine who's not bad with cars has had a couple of them, he keeps the tranny fluid fresh and uses synthetic oil only on the 2.7l engine and has never had a problem.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would even consider a Japanese car at all these days, other than a Prius or RX8 or something like that. American cars are just so much better in every way.

:suspense:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It's a V6, so it's "COS I GOT" lots of sticky tat from Halfords?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
towing in America sucks because rednecks can't do physics, case in point.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

FuzzKill posted:

Maybe they are talking on speakerphone? :iiam:

I always assumed it was this, for people too lazy to use handsfree but trying to avoid a cellphone citation? Before I realized cops don't give a poo poo about the cell phone law I would use the speakerphone and lower it if a cop was nearby. This was before the advent of good bluetooth headsets/car integration though.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Terrible car + stupid Instagram filters + a Bill Adams joint + #stayhumble as icing = perfect recipe for terrible car stuff

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure it was the stupid rear camber that reduced his contact patch to that of an Opel Kadett.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Considering the base car I think it's pretty awesome. I'm also really bummed I'm not back in the US for a couple months or I'd be all over that for a Lemons entry.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

b0nes posted:

I saw that happen to someone yesterday, basically on top of the car infront of him, then the 1st car stalled out so the guy behind had to reverse in traffic to move out of the way.

If it has been posted already apologies.

Rolling tinnitus

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Rauh-Welt Begriff more like Zerstören-Auto Begriff :hitler:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BBC posted:

The arrested man is from east London.

And calls his mates "bruv" which is really all you need to know. I'm sure trainers and caps were found at the scene scattered like so many leaves.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's one tyte 5 series yo, it must be fast:

Nope, it's a Diesel :laugh:

People have those horrible rimzzz here too apparently.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a 530d, possibly a 535d. That means somewhere between 230hp and 285hp with over 500nm torque. Unless it's been chipped, which is extremely likely from the look of things. Then it could easily have 300hp or more.

It's not a rocketship, but it's definitely no slouch.

E: Of course it could be a 525d which went from a 2.5L to a 3.0L mid-lifecycle. That puts it at around 195hp, which isn't exactly that fast, considering the lard-rear end nature of the E60.

Doesn't matter honestly, being debadged with all the ridiculous tat, quad exhausts yet being diesel is exactly why I think it's funny. Being a 57 plate it's post-refresh and most likely the slow one. Even so, should a 535d really be wearing quad exhausts and that body kit?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Dizman posted:

Being the owner of a Corvette and knowing some Corvette guys... he's not trolling.

This is why when people find out I own a Corvette and say "OH you're a Vette guy!" I always reply back with "No, I am not a Corvette guy. I'm a car guy who has a Corvette."

Most people don't seem to understand the difference.

I went to a Corvette owners club meetings once. Never again. You understand all too well after going to one of those.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mcqueen posted:

I don't get the ring sticker hate. Do people really think you need to have driven on a race track half the world away in order to put a sticker on what is probably one of the most iconic roads in the world on your bumper? Am I a poser if I have a NHRA sticker but don't drag race?

My friends here in the UK have said that they frown upon having a ring sticker until you've driven it, which I think is reasonable. I have a spare sticker I bought to go on my next car when I get back to the US.

I have a feeling very few of the ones I do see in the US were actually bought at the stands in Adenau, much less by people who drove on the track, so I can understand the general reaction. I'm perfectly happy to talk to people about it when they ask about the sticker because I think it's the most exciting place in the world to drive a car.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A lot of interesting points, but unless I'm mistaken (which I'm rather confident I am not) a springs rate is constant throughout its range of motion. Coil overs simply allow the adjustment of the preload or tension of the spring, usually changing the ride height. This would still be much easier to achieve than adjusting preload on a leaf spring (if that's even a thing)

Corvettes do in fact have pre-load for the transverse leafs, and you rightly point out the problem with them: rate consistency. You end up with springs that don't have enough initial resistance to a load and a profile that changes depending on the adjustments used. Unfortunately this is how ride height is adjusted as well, so you end up with different effective spring rates if your car happens to be scraping on the ground a lot and you crank it up to stop it. Coilovers are a very common modification for them.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Raw_Beef posted:

7:15 Am in December, in snow, a white car suddenly appears on my bumper on a 35mph country road. No lights. I think i actually gasped a bit being so surprised to see someone behind me like that in those conditions with NO LIGHTS.

People in Eastern Wa leave their brights on all the time at night. 75% of people drive lifted newer trucks with all their extra light options. Its normal to have the cab of my non lifted old f150 illuminated like a stage when i drive home on the highway.

I had my most serious fog driving experience this evening. A 20 min drive was 40 min because semis on the highway refused to do more than 35 mph and there was a huge convoy. It felt pretty sketch because so many cars were packed together. I did maintain a good following distance, i kept thinking about that massive pileup in texas recently where people died and a mile of road was blocked. It had the potential to be that bad. Visibility was 50 yards at most.

When it snows on Donner Pass in NV/CA stateline everyone wants to go a different speed, and they follow at the same distances they would on the 405 in Long Beach. Going up there during a snowstorm we were in a GLK with snow tires, so we were pretty well set for the snow. Getting up to the front of the traffic line after they closed the road briefly, we were in the first 50 cars or so and it was like an apocalypse movie. We were dodging jackknifing rigs, people spinning out, cars hitting each other, and it was all happening in slow motion. I try to avoid stereotyping drivers based on location, but Californians are downright dangerous in inclement weather.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Pretty much exactly like that, except going up a hill, in the dark, and a Mercedes GLK doing 4-wheel drifts around the obstacles, including some fat girl who decided to play in the snow on the freeway while cars were still going by :psyduck:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cenodoxus posted:

:ms: No further description required, I can picture in my head what the rest of the car probably looked like.

Where have I seen that befo

Oh.

Hellasplash.

If anyone needed a reason to not like RWB...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Seeing a cage you just know is going to fail in an accident and possibly injure the occupants even more is one of the most cringeworthy things in motorsport today.

:gonk:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Nocheez posted:

Seeing the base of the cage poking through the floor of that pic is the worst part.
Did the driver survive?

Yeah, I think the high beltline made for better rollover protection :v: But the cage builder didn't properly box weld / attach the floor mounts which is pretty obvious, and that was the result.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Kill-9 posted:

The pointy bit sticking out the front isn't too pedestrian friendly though.

You need a way to prevent those pesky lawsuits :supaburn:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Of all the cars I've seen that have been labeled an abomination I think this really sets the standard.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's a bunch of remarkably unfunny cartoons about BMWs.

http://www.autoneuroticfixation.com/2013/01/typisch-bmw-fahrer-cartoons.html

I mean I don't want to jump immedietly to any national stereotypes, but really?

The best irony is the background image on the site.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

OSI bean dip posted:

Caught this on my way to work this morning:

I have to say I like it too, because what else are you going to do with a Caprice?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

jamal posted:

I'm really confused by this:

http://topgeartvseries.com/

They have a bunch of videos and claim to be affiliated with top gear and Tanner Foust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgT59dE2Fg

So shouldn't they have been sued out of existence years ago?

The BBC gives no fucks about piracy of their material, likewise they use any music they please, pretty much are allowed to do whatever they like with regard to IP. It has something to do with how the BBC is set up legally, but all of their revenue comes from "licence fees" which they extort collect from the British public, so they don't concern themselves with things like a bunch of American car nerds downloading their TV show.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Edit: nm

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 27, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I never "got" socal brotrucks. What are they supposed to be for? I understand the whole mudding thing down in the deep south but what's in southern California?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

I found it hilarious when I was backing my dad's car into my driveway (E91 320d, yes I give him poo poo for buying the ickle engine), if I let off the throttle on my completely-normal-dropped-kerb, it rolls back down. The Jeep just sits there or keeps going really slowly.

Edit: Anti-rollback is stupid anyway. Just use the drat handbrake.

It's pretty damned convenient when you're on a 25% grade in San Francisco.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Crustashio posted:

With the parking brake. Some manuals have a foot operated one. W203 C230 compressor is one I know of.

The first gen CTS-V was like this too :eng99:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kastein posted:

Not sure if awesome (because it's making fun of diesel truck ricers) or horrible (because of the ricers.)

I just googled "roll coal" because of this and I think the results qualify as peak terrible

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Serperoth posted:

I dropped him a note about the Fulvia yesterday, in what was probably a very bad idea.

Is it a series 1? Those look incredible.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
This isn't terrible car stuff, but since we can't chat in the other thread...

what the hell is this thing? It seems to have clean air stickers on it which might imply it's electric, but I've never seen anything like it before.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Code Jockey posted:

I imagine a mentality of "HEH vagina joke LOL my buddies are gonna LOVE THIS poo poo". Consider the target market.

Also I have a serious boner for matte finishes, so I don't hate that Audi as much as I probably should.

I also haven't seen nearly as many slammed/stanced VW Golfs in the Seattle area with shocker stickers lately as I used to. Jesus, a few years ago, 9 out of 10 Golfs I saw had gigantic shockers in the back window.

The misogynistic manchildren who buy that poo poo are often the same people posting in MRA on Reddit, so I'm not hugely surprised.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Somehow, that's so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

veedubfreak posted:

I thought long and hard about dropping my bumper off at the bodyshop that fixed my GLI after the wreck to have the stupid holes fixed in the bumper. gently caress front plates. I ended up just getting a 3m clear bra and you can't really see the holes unless you're right up on the car.

Apparently someone refused to take delivery of an M5 at the local dealership until they filled the front plate holes and repainted the bumper cover. They now have a policy of making the customer aware of the legality, giving them the option to have the plate frame installed on delivery, but the default is not to on any M car. Personally I would want it to extend to all cars, but I'm glad that they do it. I had my bumper cover redone for the same reasons on my white car.