Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I-76 had one of the best soundtracks hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That's absolutely vile.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I keep trying to theorycraft a stupid idea of turning a sports car into a GT car.

So far, all I’ve gotten is put the smallest wheels with the fattest sidewalls onto an automatic BRZ/GR86 or Miata. I feel like this is a fool’s errand since both cars are engaging (heavily sprung?) from the factory.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I would also love to see graduated speeding tickets. I mind my business going the speed limit in the right lane and much of what I see is absurd.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It seems communities like the ones in Florida along 301 would prefer no one visits let alone travel through?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Good gravy. And I almost moved to Jacksonville as a kid.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Really, the US could start with lane discipline, but lmao.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Illinois posts a minimum speed limit on certain roads. I-90 outside Chicagoland is 70 MPH with a minimum of 45 MPH, for example.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

rarbatrol posted:

I've heard this rationalized once by somebody as saying it the same way you'd pronounce gigantic.

I had someone tell me it was actually the correct pronunciation because their idiot professor said so.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You cited the wrong Indiana university for Computer Science.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I went to Purdue, so I’m allowed to be mad about such things.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I still know the party trick of counting to 15 on one hand. :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Not Wolverine posted:

You may have gone to Purdue, but I can count to 31 on one hand, 22 is a fun number.

For what it’s worth, I graduated from a degree people fail into. Being better than me isn’t an accomplishment.

Idiots like us weren’t taught the thumb was a bit or a closed fist for that matter.

MetaJew posted:

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/ doesn't matter, flyover states

And the Army is why I grew up there. No fault of my parents.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 16, 2023

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I love the manager’s test in production comment. Lmao

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My FIL has completely drank the Tesla kool-aid and it makes me want to puke. He’s a climate change awareness lobbyist as his retirement hobby and it’s infuriating hearing him go on about how Musk is irrelevant to the car itself.

Machiavellian horseshit, I tell you.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I brought up how I think the Mach-E is cool and was brushed aside, so that kinda stung.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Ed Zitron rules.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Some people still think Elon Musk has good ideas.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody here thinks that.

I would hope so.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

"BUT WE NEED TO GO ALL IN ON TESLA! THE PLANET DEPENDS ON IT! - An idiot

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Fatrick posted:

They're giving the rest of the EV market a bad name by half-assing everything when the public assumes they're the "industry leader" in the market still.

My father-in-law is a climate change lobbyist for his retirement hobby and he absolutely eats the poo poo that Tesla sell.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Fatrick posted:

I mean, they're still better than an ICE vehicle, I would drive a Tesla before I drove a PHEV. They still suck.

The Model S Plaid is pretty cool, but that's about it

My point is that it can't be any EV, it specifically has to be a Tesla.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Here’s a compilation of people who will act like marginalized citizens for being called out for looking like a bunch of loving bellends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9qjkMOWGI

It's easier to be fooled than admit to being fooled.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Bajaha posted:

Yeah, nah. As a resident of the frozen north a lockout on the starter at -30°F / -34.4°C is dumb. I've had times where I street parked with -40°C temps so no block heater, and while the car complained it did eventually start and it's not like my oil was glitter next oil change. It's a bit of extra wear and tear but even as viscous as honey the oil pumps (at crazy high pressures, but nonetheless it'll move it through the system) and you still have a film on the bearings from previous operation so it's not dry metal against dry metal.

Having to hold the clutch in because the gear oil is so thick it stalls out the engine is certainly an experience. Once the engine's warmed up a smidge it'll spin freely enough that the extra load from the frozen trans won't immediately stall it out.

Living in central Alaska during the early 1990s and I’m reminded of block heater outlets all over the place.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Finns apparently have a saying that is, “there is no bad weather; only bad clothes.”

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

Which is not great, but then they put the chains on the firewall side

GM put a timing belt on the firewall side recently.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've learned from this thread that HFS should be renamed RFS.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Too easy. And not only lol at the differing ride heights, but that they released it without the locking diff function.

Best way to market is rushing. :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

AI (read: machine learning)

Thank you.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pootiling along in the right lane going the speed limit is immensely satisfying when the shithead going 20 over in the left lane is pulled over for speeding a few miles up the road.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tesla simps will tell you to trust the software and OTA bug fixes for things that should be caught in QA are cool/good.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What problem are they trying to solve by removing the physical link anyway when EPAS exists?

Not enough money going into elons bank account.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Early adopters and the sunk cost fallacy.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Snapshot posted:

My ‘14 FRS is pretty well set up; nothing on the steering wheel, but everything that matters is a physical knob/button that’s distinguishable by touch within easy reach of the driver.

A wonderful job was done to give that car such a functional interior.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Snapshot posted:

Yeah, my biggest beef is that if I put in a CarPlay head unit, most have lovely ergonomics, and it’ll be worse for changing volume/track while moving.

I like my Kenwood a lot. They make head units with physical buttons, though I got a cheaper one with capacitive buttons since I use the steering wheel buttons out of habit.

Buttons.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Blessed were the 1990s and their TV inspired remotes for car stereos.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I forget which French car, but I appreciated the one that put the gear shifter (?) stalk at 2 o’clock on the steering column to make one-handed driving easier.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cacafuego posted:

I recently overheard a conversation between brogrammers or finance bros or some version of fratty assholes in an airport lounge about how “cool” it was that Tesla will come to your home and replace a bad tire for “just $650!”. I don’t know if he was trying to play up how wealthy he was that $650 for a tire replacement was a drop in the bucket for him, or he just liked loudly proclaiming to everyone around him that he likes burning money

Cars are appliances to them and “just $650” is a deal.

I spend too much time in airport lounges and lots of those folks have lost the concept of money.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Saukkis posted:

The message at the 8 second mark, "Power reduced. Exiting and re-entering may restore...". It's so stupid that is actually the recommended fix.

Big “did you turn it off and back on” energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Again: these are vehicles built by a tech company, not a car manufacturer

TrUsT tHe SoFtWaRe