Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Looking for parts for my car I came across this beauty.

Donked out Caprice from Miami, no big deal.

Wait, that interior looks different than a normal...

What is going on here?

Wow. I don't know what to say.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3935934/1989-chevrolet-caprice

Impressive for doing it in your own front yard, but man it looks awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Wow way to destroy the aero of the 458...

People who buy that kit probably don't give a drat about aero.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ghost Farts posted:

Bavaria has a bit of a meth problem these days, so...

But for real, the answer is indeed China and also old people. At least in Germany, the 3gt and 5gt are surprisingly popular (at least where I live), but almost exclusively among old people. Apparently it's easier to enter or something, I don't know.

Yeah, it's like the Scion xB. Really easy ingress due to the higher ride height compared to the 3 / 5 series, but isn't tall / huge like the X3 / X5.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Just a dumb looking guy sitting in his car, right?

Guy parks in a handicap spot, then sits in his car to prevent it from being towed.

quote:

A driver who wrongly parked in a disabled bay in Birmingham sat in his car for more than seven hours to stop it being towed away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30591166

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

tobu posted:

They sell Protons here - They used to say 'Suspension by Lotus' on them.

The ute was called the Jumbuck but I think they are called the Arena in other markets. Its basically a lancer based ute built with kitchen foil. It got a one star rating for safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAZKPGI1r7Q

:stonk:

Is there a reason no air bags deployed?!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Does the nismo juke have a big banner across the top of the windshield that says nismo?

Because either way, it's terrible car stuff. I saw a juke with the banner and if it is legit then wtf nissan? If it's not legit I doubt it was really a nismo juke, and even if it was, wtf nismo juke owner?

Nope, they went out and did that themselves!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

For whatever reason this mindset hasn't seemed to take major root with the import marques. Outside of VW's cheaper redesigns a few years back, I can't think of non-American companies making a car worse just to advertise a price.

What about the Nissan Versa? They took out the 1.8L and shoved in a 1.6L to sell it at $9999 when the economy took a poo poo back in 2009. I think they also cheaped out on the seats and the only option was A/C.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The best part of this video is watching the guy's sunglasses fly off his face.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Root Bear posted:

What a super deal! :v:

The broken window crank laying in the driver footwell is the icing on the cake.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

SLT is the base spec, so it shouldn't have that bumper from the factor. I'm guessing they dinged the stock one and had it replaced and whoever replaced it just grabbed whatever bumper they had in stock that matched the model year.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

She left us too soon...

I'm the pillow the driver was using to see over the steering wheel.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Darchangel posted:

chain drive.

CHAIN. DRIVE.

What. The. gently caress.

At least it isn't a drive belt?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

So hey stupid question. I can't remember how old that title is, but it's been around a while - said $1200 stroller, is your kid still small enough to use it/have you had a second kid that's now putting it in use? If not, what does one even do at the end of their use cycle on something like that? Is there a used market of any note there?

I don't have kids and the people I know who do are the "Let's just hit up Goodwill/Salvo for cheap poo poo, baby's gonna outgrow it as fast as we can buy it anyway" types, so I literally have no frame of reference here and I'm curious.

Used stroller market exist, especially on upper brand strollers (Stokke, Bugaboo, Uppababy). The more gently used, the more you can resell it, especially in places where image is everything (SoCal / NYC) so that other moms can brag about their expensive stroller they have in the back of their Q5 / X3 / GLC.

There have been times where my kid doesn't want to sit in the stroller and expecting mothers will come up to give me cash offers for the stroller because "it's obvious your kid outgrew it, why not sell it off?" when he's walking next to me.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Adding to dealership chat: I put together a wishlist of cars I wanted to test drive back when I was ready to buy my first car back in 2009.

Lancer Evo 9 MR. Flat out refused a test drive by one dealer (Lewisville Mitsubishi), another wanted a security deposit just to get them to open the door so I could sit in one (Don Herring Mitsubishi).
Subaru WRX STi. Subaru of Plano wanted me to drive a base Impreza instead, saying "it's the same car but with more power."
S2000. Lute Riley Honda told me that "it's too much car for you" and wanted me to drive a Civic Si instead. I politely declined and was told that I was a waste of time.
G37S. Crest Infiniti told me to go pound dirt, and that "the used dealership is next door."

Then I got to Sewell Infiniti. Told them I wanted to test drive a 6MT G37S. They apologized that since the MT sell rate was so low that they didn't have any on the lot, so they tossed the keys to a fully loaded AT and told to bring it back tomorrow with a full tank of gas. The next day I was signing the paperwork to sourcing a 6MT to buy.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

spog posted:

Have you seen a Countryman in real life?

Man, that is biiig.

That countryman is next to an older X1, which isn't exactly the biggest SUV. The old X1 is only 3 inches taller than an Accord, and the Accord is a foot longer.

But yes, for a brand that extols "smaller is better" the countryman is huge.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Darchangel posted:

That's a Texas inspection sticker on the pickup filming, but I don't recognize the streets on the overhead sign. Interstate 10 would be west TX. El Paso?

Too green to be El Paso. Probably closer to Houston, TX.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/HoarseBarrenBlowfish.webm

Lookin cool as gently caress spinning out on a gentle bend

I've never seen a wheel bend that badly before.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Saw this posted in another thread, had to share it here.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

"200k (swedish, so about 20k USD) invested"

I'm the missing bit of rear valence despite the backup sensors.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Can't wait to see what kind of new competitive innovation we'll end up with now but hey who cares line go up

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/fca-and-psa-complete-merger-become-stellantis

So which brands are going to die? I assume Chrysler will disappear as the only thing they sell are minivans.

I assume that either Fiat or Lancia would disappear too?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

david_a posted:

This seems like wishful thinking

On my last test drive, the salesperson took my ID and said be back within 30 minutes.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

No, it's an android phone. Let me find a pic.

this picture is messing with my head because i've been so conditioned to how big phones are these days that the size difference looks like andre the giant holding a beer can to me.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Some dickhead parked blocking my driveway to go to a house party down the street.

enhance

You got them towed, right?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'm the folded tow mirror, because obviously that was the thing holding him back.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Old people love subcompact SUVs because the higher seating position allows them to step into the car and still get out without needing to drag themselves by the grabhandles, the hatch is practical for carrying small items and since old people aren't buying 8x10 sheets of plywood everyday like all the truck-havers so they don't need anything bigger or thirstier.

Pretty much this. My mom traded in her E Class for a GLA and has never been happier: smaller footprint so it's easier to park, better on gas, easier to get in/out, and still fits her golf clubs.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

dissss posted:

Not really

I used to think that his car had nonredeemable problems with the styling compared to the 2 door coupe.

After seeing the new Integra, though, I like it a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

Why are plastic retaining clips not standardized in any way? I want to be able to go to autozone and replace the ones that inevitably break, not have to go to a dealership and hope they have a weird shaped clip in inventory, and then pay $3 apiece so I can finish working that same day

:capitalism: