Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:siren: ONE PICTURE PER POST RULE IS BACK IN EFFECT :siren:
I realize there will always be debates over what post goes in which thread, but pick whichever one seems the best and keep the bickering about it to the minimum. If you're linking to an eBay ad or craigslist post or the like, make sure to rehost the appropriate images and/or text - use the imgur extension to easily do so. Try to keep to more posts with images than without.

If it's automotive and it's terrible, it goes here. Photos, cell phone snaps, for sale postings, poo poo you overheard, whatever.

Best I've got that's fresh is this that we saw driving down the freeway at 75MPH:

Sometimes I wish we had inspections in AZ.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think the photo does justice to the fact that I'm pretty sure that van has been rolled over at least twice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So clearly this went over as well as my old Volvo's last six emissions tests. I'll reopen the CL and mechanical failures threads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keykey posted:

1996 850 Schedule J vehicle? If so, I felt the same pain but only for 2 tests before I shucked it at Adessa in Tracy.

Oh god if it was a '96 it'd have OBDII and I would've been able to diagnose it myself. My '88 240 was running very lean based on the sniffer results, but with no other symptoms, so I basically had to try something, test, fail, try again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVrnd9V7sk

How about this retard? I used to ride this road 3-4 times a week, everyone knows this corner - it crests blindly then cuts hard left, lots of people have run off. Lack of driving skill here is off the charts.

What road is that? It almost looks like bits of AZ238 but I don't think 238 is that twisty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, the trick then is to troll people by saying you just sanded the paint off and polished it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SwashedBuckles posted:

I thought the joke was that, in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "it's made of plastic"

Not that there's anything wrong with that; there's a reason that most of the Chevy tents at motorsports events have a Corvette fender on a stand that you can pick up. It doesn't have the cachet of carbon fiber but it's a shitload cheaper, and doesn't dent to hell like aluminum.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

As a fellow Mopar fan, I tend to agree, but the cell-phone pics thread has been rolled into this, so :shrug:

Also, the old white car in my post is a mopar as well (I think).

Cell phone pics can go in either one - it just didn't make any sense when half the posts in either thread were cell-cams anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I would unironically like to hear more about this idea, that sounds cool as gently caress :haw:

It'd certainly look better than "LOL LOOK AT MY RUSTY HOOD".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It would take me 90 minutes and 4 buses to get me to work which is 9 miles away. Unfortunately there are places where a car is almost required to survive. :(

I think I could get to work in two buses, which isn't bad considering it's about 25 miles one way; but I'd have to drive (or ride a bike) five miles to the first one, and if I get there at 7 then I should walk into work right at 9AM.

The same trip by car, even without the HOV lane, takes half that time - on a bad day.

Valley Metro can eat my rear end, though I'll continue voting for every time they ask for money in hopes that one day the system might not be useless.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Anyways, she couldn't shift into neutral because she was too busy using her right hand to hold a cell phone so she could cry at 9-1-1 dispatch.

That's what I don't get. I've been in a situation where the best option was to drive my rear end off (passed a guy on a two-lane road at night, oncoming traffic suddenly was a lot closer than I thought it was, he decided I cut him off) and as much as I'd have loved to call police on the guy...I was kind of busy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Do some cars not have a physical link between the transmission and shift lever anymore? If there's a bug in some software or an electrical short, can you not shift out of drive? That seems unsafe if you can't simply disengage the engine from the transmission...

I'd bet that the newer Jaaaaaaaags with the rotary shifter fall into this category. I seem to remember a story from some normally non-automotive publication about one getting stuck in park.

Likewise, the Prius - the shifter seems to be just a collection of switches, not an actual linkage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Me too. It's a race to see which happens first; Valley Metro becoming useful or I finally move out of this poo poo hole.

Irony: Today they announced a bus service for far enough east that I could actually avoid driving the first leg of the trip.

It'd still be two hours each way, when I spend less time than that round trip even in the worst of rush hour.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How about we shut the gently caress up about whether it is right or wrong to carry guns?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

No, that's not the case (And the van is awesome, it would go like the proverbial) - in a rotary that has a few kms on it or modified the alternator belt will more often than not have slippage issues (exactly like I have right now with a RX7) - cogged belts or double alternator belts are the fix.

Why is this, out of curiosity? Is the crank pulley on the rotary particularly small?

I mean it does seem to be a genuine issue, I just wonder why it seems to affect rotaries so much when most V-belted cars get by just fine with a single V-belt driving the alternator (and sometimes another accessory too).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hey, the overspray is realistic!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I think it's more like a frog. I call them frogcars.

My wife wants one. Badly. I have no objections to it other than looks.

Mine did too, until I told her how small it is on the inside (I think it's actually got a smaller interior than our Mazda3 hatch). At a glance it appeals to the I-want-a-crossover crowd but it is really, really small for a crossover.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

I don't buy it.
This has one of the best side-impact ratings
(2006+) and has a real greenhouse.

The crash test ratings changed significantly recently (I think 2010 or 2011) and results prior aren't really comparable to results today.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it still fared well under current specs; I remember an article once where fire departments would train specifically on how to cut people out of Subarus due to the much higher use of high strength steel in their pillars versus other makes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think this is a good way to transport bumpers from LA to Phoenix.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

I thought that was a horse. I scrolled down too quickly, and thought I saw a horse, kicking and thrashing, tied to the top of a Cavalier. :stare:

It was flapping around pretty good, so when approaching it from the back we had a hard time figuring out what the hell it was.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Sulfuric acid is a demon." That's a new way to describe it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crustashio posted:

No, that's a jalopnik comment. Literally every car more expensive than a mustang v6/v8/boss 302 = JUST GET A MUSTANG

Alex Lloyd's articles are the main reason I still read Jalopnik.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The spoiler was the least offensive part of the car.

It's pretty much the brundlefly of cars, screaming for GM to kill it to end its suffering.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I once worked with the dumbass who had this plate in AZ, or at least had it at one point. He actually had RU18SXY first but someone complained to the MVD and they took it back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Bahaha, was it a red SRT4?

I wouldn't put it past him but at the time it was a piece of poo poo minitruck (a Nissan I think?) that he had installed magnesium blocks on so he could go up and down the then-brand-spanking-new San Tan 202 "leaving sick sparks yo".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Found while getting groceries this morning, on a nearly completely bedlinered 4Runner:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The resistor-key setup would've required you to actually make contact with the resistor circuit - but the tolerance was pretty wide and aside from those two wires, it's just a deeper version of ye olde GM tumbler. Hell, on the '94 Z28, when the resistor readers in the cylinder wore out, my dad hardwired a resistor in and replaced it with a standard GM non-PassKey cylinder.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just another terrible brotruck, right?

Two lift blocks :stare:

Keep in mind I'm sitting in my Ranger, and the rear bumper of this thing is practically at my eye level.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Saw this today. I think it belongs here.

I always knew used car prices were inflated in California, but this is ridiculous.

But it's a Toyota!

This kind of pricing is exactly why I've never owned a Toyota or Honda. Dealers seriously set this kind of pricing, and people think their shitbox is worth at least nearly that much, and drive the price of something with a T or H badge on it through the loving roof.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Hah that del sol is a legend here in AZ, It's everywhere.

No poo poo, I posted it earlier in the thread and I've seen it driving around here for years. It's for sale now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sterster posted:

Yes it is for sale. My company had the penthouse rented out at the Holiday Inn @ country club & 60 for about 3 weeks. If you want to go take a look at it just drive on down and I'm sure it will be in the parking lot waiting for the guy to return from work. Additionally, you would think the guy driving it was some young gun. No, he looked as if he was in his mid-late 30's.

Amazingly it doesn't seem to be on Craigslist. I really want to find this guy's for sale posting just to see what the hell is going on in his head; you're right, he's definitely old enough that it's not some dumb kid's project, but I honestly can't tell if he's serious or just really dedicated to trolling the East Valley.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Dumb question, isn't this situation what a shovel was designed to help with?

Yeah, even ignoring any mechanical sympathy for the car - I've got to imagine it would've taken a lot less time to just shovel a path out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

amenenema posted:

You're totally forgetting the car in question. There shall be no sympathy for the abortion that was the Nu-Tbird.

Was it really a terrible car? It was definitely built to a very small and specific market, and I only know one person who had one (not sure if she still does). Her husband builds himself all kinds of fun hot rods (ZZ4-powered T-bucket, Hemi-powered Model A roadster, etc) and I presumed that while she liked the vintage appearance, she wanted something that drove like a modern vehicle. Enter T-Bird.

I'd bet the buyers consisted entirely of people with that same mindset - people who don't care if the driving dynamics are any different than a Sebring, they just want it to look old and neat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

davebo posted:

I've heard that a few times but I honestly don't know if it's hyperbole or not. Are (unused) diapers actually a good thing to rub a car with? If so, is that what you use to... dry it? or wax it?

Cloth diapers, actually. They're soft as hell and usually 100% cotton, which you can't always guarantee with other towels. A lot of this group also loves to rant about how their car has "never seen rain", nevermind that the first two things a Corvette does as it drives off of the assembly line in Bowling Green is bounce off of some speedbumps as hard as possible to seat the suspension, and then get blasted by high pressure water to ensure there's no leaks.

Perfect example of "the Corvette guy" mentality: people who buy those kits where you convert a C5 to vaguely resemble a C1.

My dad has actively bitched about this group of people after he bought his C6, and according to him they're even more insufferable than the equivalent Porsche owners, as he'd experienced when he had his various P-cars. Then the other day I find out he hasn't driven his C6 in a month.

He enjoys the gas mileage and HOV pass on his new Prius too much.

:negative:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The doors are really throwing me for a loop. They're a mile wide and obviously heavily modified... and yet the NA Miata doorhandles remain :psypop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Where will they go from there?

They need that little extra push over the cliff, to make it one louder.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Proving that the VW Phaeton is just a VW? What?

VAG products have a habit of tripodding when driven hard:

The Phaeton, despite it's decidedly un-Volks price, is still a VW at heart.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Just about any FWD car with a stiff enough suspension will do it, it's not unique to VWs.

Hot hatches in particular all do it when cornering hard.

Sure, but it's just a thing I have stuck in my head pretty firmly as being particularly associated with VWs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

It's a known glitch in the forums, but this is the first time I've seen it in action.

Yeah, Chooch is working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Does it only happen with moderator posts? Sounds like entrapment, to me. :D

Hah, no, it happens to us as well :)