Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

There isn't a :stare: big enough.

No poo poo. I love the Reality Distortion Field that he puts out that convinces him that the flaming he gets is because the nitrous kit he used is "different than the American ones" and not due to his lovely installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's supposedly the rear end-end of the new Corvette. We'll know for sure next month.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

But yeah, they should really build something more like a productionised Factory Five GTM. I also think the healthy approach would be to give the Camaro designers free reign to make the car as ball-out fast as they can in the top-performance version, and then tell the Corvette design team that they can do whatever they want as long as the end result is better in every way. They should have the Camaro as the tried-and-tested front-engine-RWD car, and push the Corvette further into supercar territory.

Except that the ZL1 Camaro pretty much already is using nearly every technology GM has in their playbook. I think the only things the ZR1 has that it doesn't are carbon brakes, carbon fiber bodywork, and the LS9 instead of the LSA. I'd argue that they could really just make the carbon brakes a $10k add-on if they really wanted to or if they thought anyone would actually buy them, carbon fiber wouldn't save enough weight to be worth it on a car that is still pretty goddamn heavy (you'd save more by having a factory rear seat delete), and the power difference between the LS9 and LSA is probably made up pretty quick with an exhaust and a tune. The only way to make the Camaro considerably faster (short of developing a powertrain for it that's more powerful than anything in the C6/C7) is going to be reducing the size and weight of the base platform, which GM is already supposedly doing.

In spite of the 'flaws' in the C6's platform having the engine in front of the driver rather than behind (it is already behind the centerline of the front wheels) it still has a very neutral weight balance, and the ZR1 is still fast enough to play with supercars costing many times its price. It also sells reasonably well, in no small part thanks to that 'tradition' where it can be traced back as a continuous production run all the way to 1953.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is a first for me, at least - posting horrible automotive poo poo as found within the RockAuto newsletter:

RockAuto posted:

Dorman decided it would be a good idea to offer a new air filter housing for the ’05 to ’07 Ford Focus because the original air filter housing is a completely sealed unit. It is impossible to simply open the box and change the air filter. Why Ford chose to do it this way is a bit of a mystery. I asked at a Ford dealer’s service department and they presented it as a benefit: “You never have to change the air filter on that car.”

Searching through Ford Focus enthusiast forums, one explanation I saw was that Ford wanted the Focus to be classified as a partial zero emissions vehicle (PZEV) in California. Those rules required the car’s air intake system should never require maintenance. “Never requires maintenance” was equated with “make maintenance impossible.” That sounds crazy enough to possibly be true! Luckily no government organization specified that a PZEV never needs gasoline or Focus owners might have discovered their gas caps were welded shut!

Great move there Ford :psypop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Do modern cars do that? That is a seriously bad idea.

The Mazda3 (in fact, most Mazdas these days?) is permanently lit - brightly in the day, and it's supposed to dim at night. One would think that getting near blinded by your gauge cluster at night would be an indicator that your lights aren't on, but who knows.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pseudonym posted:

It doesn't dim automatically at night, there is a switch you need to press at the top of the cluster to do it manually, and when the headlights are off, there are four levels of dimming. At least that's how it is on the first generation Mazda3, far as I know (I drive an '04). Dunno about current models.

Ah, I've got an '07 MS3 GT with the HIDs and automatic headlights - so yeah, like the other poster mentioned it auto-switches between the two and remembers the last setting. Mostly I use that button when my automatic headlights kick on when it's dim out but still sunny, so I'm wearing my sunglasses and can't see the dimmed cluster for poo poo.

Trap Star posted:

I drive a poverty-spec '04 Mazda 3i and there's nothing permanently illuminated. You have to turn the stalk to turn on the headlights and light up the dash.

I guess this must be why in Forza 4, the regular Mazda3 has a cluster you can read, and the Mazdaspeed3's is too dim.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

JP Money posted:

I refuse to believe "locked wheel" isn't more prevalent. Layer Dan is the most common excuse I hear from every idiot with a bike who crashes.

Given that the graph was specific to fatalities - and that you're hearing this from the people who are actually doing the crashing - I'd bet it's a more common cause of crashes, but a less common cause of fatalities.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently someone was working on their car in the inside breakdown lane on I17 during evening rush hour. (Phoenix goons: I avoid the 17 like the plague, is there even an inside breakdown lane there?)

It got plowed into by a fullsize truck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Ah, holy poo poo, I see the rear wheel now. Jesus, did the moron that rammed it survive?

Not only survived (with a broken arm), but actually fled the scene.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Whoops, I forget that I have Gannett's paywall adblocked away.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it helps that there isn't much of Phoenix that I need to go to where the 17 is the best option - 101 and 51 handle all of my needs for access anywhere north of I10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You mean second pinion? Yeah, it'd rotate the opposite direction from the first - but presumably this would be paired with a reverse-rotation tandem axle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Octopus Magic posted:

They show a pillar full of DEFI gauges and say it looks like JC Whitney? Oh okay.

The only reason to read Jalopnik these days is to catch Alex Lloyd's articles, where even then the commenters will start bitching about how "they're all about him". You know, articles that he's writing about his personal experience as a professional race car driver.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think red flashers like that aren't illegal to possess, but they are illegal to actually use on a public road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

Here have a Forduar S150

Years ago I saw this same idea done with a F150 of similar vintage and a W210 E-class front end. It was bizarre, and yet remarkably well done.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astroman posted:

/\/\
Nah, my base model was like $24k tops.

He's in Australia, so clearly the pricing was hosed in the exchange.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Oh gosh whatever could be under the censor strip :allears:

Gremlins, of course.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No photos because I was laughing too hard, but it was just pouring rain and hail outside. I happened to be looking out the window when a guy in a Cobra (I'm assuming / hoping a kit) comes screaming down the road, notices our covered parking, stands on the brakes as best he can, and hides out in it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Ugh...I've done that too getting caught in the rain with the roof out of my 944. You don't get too wet if you're doing more than 40 or so, but any less than that and things get lovely, so when you find someplace to pull off you do it in a hurry looking like a prick.

I was just laughing my rear end off, mostly at the idea that he would even take such a car out when the forecast all day has been "poo poo with a side of more poo poo". And yeah, with the road he was on and the water already built up on it, no way in hell was he going to be able to do 40 safely.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

Well in that case, wouldn't they pass? No combustion, no emissions. :haw:

You laugh, but in AZ for most cars somewhere between 1979 and 1995 (I don't know where it begins, other than that our '79 280ZX was the old idle/loaded test and my '88 Volvo was the newer acceleration/deceleration test, and it stops with OBDII cars) the emissions test involves accelerating and maintaining speed within a certain range on a dyno. Too slow and it will fail the car.

The 1992 Corsica I borrowed could only go fast enough when the old-timer got in and floored it every time he had to accelerate. The 1995 Saturn SL1 I tried to sell (ended up being donated) actually wouldn't pass because the transmission would start slipping too badly at WOT.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's taken me looking at it three times to finally come to the same conclusion that no, it's not a van body slapped in place of a normal cab on a long-rear end heavy-duty truck frame. That's frightening, to put it mildly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Linedance posted:

What's hill assist? I'm assuming you aren't talking about a low range gearbox...

Serious answer, some modern cars (and a few not-so-modern cars) have a setup where when you let off the brakes on a hill, the car holds them for you a bit longer until you get the clutch engaged. Eliminates the need to try to use the emergency brake to hold the car from rolling back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Where do non-contributing snide remarks fall?

Only slightly ahead of posting about posting.

Saw this a while back. The cuts in the grille to clear the lights look like they'd been made with a Leatherman. Why didn't they just bolt the lights an inch further forward? :psyduck:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Fair enough, I was just hoping to prod some actual information to explain it, rather than a "Look at these foolish plebs!" *adjusts fedora*

The common anti-ricer sentiment with "LOL YOU PUT WINGS ON YOUR NON-DRIVEN WHEELS" is that wings are only beneficial on wheels that are getting driven. The flawed logic for thinking this way could be either that they're just useful in helping put power down, or that only a RWD can kick the rear end-end out.

The reality is that there are plenty of ways a FWD car can experience oversteer, and depending on the car, its intended use, and what modifications are allowable or desirable in said use, there absolutely can be a case made for adding downforce to the rear of a FWD car.

More terrible:

Fisker Karma. Belongs in this thread due to the fact that apparently this car represents a ~$500k loss for the company, and that somehow while the Volt isn't allowed to get the alt-fuel plate in AZ, the Karma can - despite getting only 20MPG in range-extension mode.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it's because the Volt is technically capable of driving the wheels directly from the engine. As such, it doesn't meet the "must be powered exclusively by alternative propulsion" clause - so all pure-electrics get blue plates, I believe the natural gas Civic gets them, and apparently the Karma gets them because the Karma's engine is truly a generator only.

But, the hybrid plates haven't been issued in ages because they are quantity limited, and they're supposed to only be allowed on the Prius, Civic Hybrid, and Insight (and I think only the first-gen Insight at that). I think a Volt might be allowed to get one, but you'd only be able to get it if you're transferring it off of a Prius that you own that already has a blue plate.

So, the 20MPG Karma gets a blue plate, while the 37MPG Volt does not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Got these two within a few minutes of each other on the drive home yesterday.

First, I've seen this a few times. Pretty low on the terrible scale, but great example of why blacking your goddamn tails is a bad idea - that's as bright as they get:

Then, partially a terrible cameraphone failure since it completely blew out the bumper, but you can barely trace one of the lines of zip ties fixing crash damage that probably didn't even actually occur while drifting:

Plus some wonky camber side-to-side (the camera / windshield relationship is skewing it a bit but it was definitely not even), some mad tyte stretch, and not pictured is the exhaust that's so stupidly rich that it was making me nauseous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

thvwlshvscpd posted:

Before I read what to look for, I thought the license plate was the terrible car stuff.

Oh, the plate and the "illest" definitely count as well. I actually thought it might've been going to the same place as where the WRX was heading (you can barely see the WRX through the tint) but they went different directions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

What do people even mean by breaking tables? Are there people browsing SA with IE 6 or something?

Because right now (and I wouldn't expect this to change) the forums don't autoscale images and making people scroll horizontally because you were literally too lazy to add a 'l' before the '.jpg' in your imgur-hosted image is a dick move.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I just went through all that poo poo with another insurance company. Those receipts don't mean poo poo to them, but just don't settle and they'll come around eventually.

Receipts for unrelated work should only matter if insurance is going to total this - to me, this looks like something insurance would possibly pay out a repair bill on, not a replacement. That Rover is body-on-frame, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ewiley posted:

You can just nearly see the matching pink tiger stripe seat covers. I have a feeling the missing grill was intentional, but I'm not sure why.

Either they're working on a pig theme, or they're waiting for their mad tyte "LOOK JUST LIKE A BENTLEY ROLLS ROYCE BILLET POLISHED ALUMINUM PLATED GRILLE".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus christ that poor kid :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terminal Entropy posted:

And state university paraphernalia on it to boot. Almost any time I see a car with ASU/UofA plates they will do something stupid.

And for the triple-whammy, I'm pretty sure that's a vanity tag since I think the standard university plates have five or six characters on them. So we've got a smug geriatric former Sun Devil.

Yep, adds up to "can't park for poo poo."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Detroit and hot-weather states. I've seen a number of vehicles wrapped up here in AZ over the years, usually still with those Michigan "MANUFACTURER" tags on them. Lately the ones I've been seeing have been trucks towing trailers - one was very clearly the upcoming Colorado, and also a diesel given the scrawling over the fuel filler door, while the others all looked like they were probably the latest version of the GM fullsize trucks / SUVs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Trust me, there's no reason to leave it parked that long here in June :v:

They'll just flog cars around town, up and down the freeways, and until a few years back GM's Proving Grounds were here, complete with a massive circle track for high speed testing:

They decided it wasn't remote enough for them anymore so it's been in a slow demolition that has had a couple failed-start projects planned for the land since the housing market imploded. They tore up the tracks pretty early on, though they looked old enough I wouldn't have wanted to try and go too fast on them anyway:

I do have a storage locker that I bought off of one of the companies demoing the place, though!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No actual photos since I was too busy avoiding it - but I just had the joy of driving around a probably too-oversize oversize load. Some form of backhoe, just the cab and tracks, no implements of any sort attached. It was loaded up on a trailer similar to this:

The kind that normally has a significant curve in the deck when unloaded, higher in the center and lower at the ends, that straightens out as it gets loaded.

This thing was so heavy that the deck was actually lower in the middle than the outside, and maybe had 1" of ground clearance on level ground. It dragged pretty loving hard cresting the overpass it was coming off of the freeway with, and the chains holding the load on seemed haphazardly placed at best. Oh, and of course, no flag trucks leading or following.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It was already off the highway officially by the time I saw it, so it would've had to have been Phoenix PD. Thought about it but ultimately the guy was moving pretty loving fast too and I was turning the opposite way he did at the next light.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of terrible Chrysler products working well above and beyond their call of duty, I saw this hauling down US60 a week or two ago (not my photo):

I was amazed to see that it's even capable of 65MPH, even though you could hear it working drat hard to stay there.

DropShadow posted:

I have possibly the largest collection of Chrysler Pacifica photos in history.

You monster.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Putting this here since I'm pretty sure Infiniti's mass-Q renaming is considered terrible - spotted this yesterday and given the lack of camo overall... I'm honestly not sure why they decided to tape over half of the badges.

Edit: The sun blew it out but there was an Infiniti text logo plain as day, no covering, on the center of the tailgate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I ran across this convoy a few days ago in Chandler. Pretty sure that light colored one you got a snap of is a hybrid. There was some blacked out badging on the front fender the other two didn't have.

Good call. Oddly this seemed to be driving by itself, no other manufacturer tags in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

`Nemesis posted:

Found outside a bar, it sat there for a few hours like that.

Only things I can think of - either it's a bait car left there by the local PD (though an ineffective one since half of the fun is locking the perp in the car... with no roof they could pretty easily jump and run) or the owner is well known in the area and is also someone that people who would steal that car do not want to piss off.

But it's more likely the owner is impossibly dense.