Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I don't think I had fully realized how little difference there is between the front and back bumper until I saw this. I spent a good 30 seconds staring at what I at first thought was a replacement rear bumper, wondering a) what was wrong with the old one and b) why they both had license plates on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

rscott posted:

I don't have a picture but yesterday I saw an Accord sedan with a vinyl top. :911:

(That particular style isn't popular anywhere else right?)

Was it this one?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I really want to put a watermelon or pumpkin in that tail pipe

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

enojy posted:

You'd have to go bigger -- look at that loving thing. I can't even think of a spherical object that would stuff it.

I'm strangely OK with this freak of a truck. My #1 gripe about trucks is, I usually can't see past them at all. The suspension is set up in such a way that I can actually see through it.

I'm also OK with the exhaust pointing directly down into my driver's side window, should I pass him on his right. Not a chance in hell there's any back pressure, so I wouldn't be the least bit worried.

Gonna go ahead and throw the "wrong thread" card at this point.

There are definitely pumpkins large enough to plug that exhaust. The real question is, if you did, what would happen if you ran the engine?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Found while researching Bronco Cummins swaps:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

kastein posted:

Pull off the stacks, dual rears, and hood scoop and I'd drive the poo poo out of it.

That goes double if the fishbowl and horns go away too.

Do all that, and I'm pretty sure you end up with my girlfriend's bronco (unfortunately the best photo I have of it at the moment):

which is what I was casually browsing diesel swap info for

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LongDarkNight posted:

Depends on the state but 75% is the more common threshold for a vehicle being declared a total.

Are there state laws that mandate when an insurance company must decide to total a car? I thought it was just a matter of them comparing:
1: value of car before accident / cost to replace with a similar vehicle, minus value of wrecked car at salvage
or
2: estimated cost to repair

I'd imagine that varies at least somewhat between cars

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Just had a realization I wanted to share; I think it's fairly terrible:

My marginal cost for electricity: $0.31/kwh.
I believe it takes 13.4 kwh to charge a Chevy Volt, with 25-30 miles of pure-electric range.
That's 13.8 cents per mile.

In gasoline only mode, the Volt supposedly gets 37mpg with 91 octane gas, currently around $4/gal in Oakland.
That's 10.8 cents per mile.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Congratulations for doing the math rather than buying a "green" vehicle based on emotion and/or as a fashion accessory.

We aren't there yet with the technology or the infrastructure. These things only work out in your favor in very niche situations, even with the government rebates. Many people refuse to believe that.

Was not actually thinking of buying one; I have a TDI that I'm perfectly happy with. Was just reading an article about various EVs and saw cost/mile comparisons between electric and gas modes. The costs were closer than I thought, but still favored electric charging, until I saw that they were assuming something like $0.11/kwh. I pay something like $0.13 for baseline use, but once I go past that it quickly jumps up; I don't know how widespread PG&E's tiered pricing is; if it is common, it seems pretty disingenous to calculate cost/mile based on baseline price, since I'd imagine if someone is regularly plugging in their EV at home to charge, they're definitely going to end up in the higher price tiers pretty quickly if they're not already there.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

:stare:

I'm paying 8.9c....

Note that I said marginal cost, not average. PG&E has tiered pricing, my base rate is something like $0.13/kwh; still more than you're paying but not as ridiculous. As you use more energy it goes way up; I think the $0.31/kwh starts after you've used 200kwh in a month. The incentives can be a little hosed up, since they don't account for how many people are living in a household (though I'm not sure how they could reliably do that). When I moved to SF years ago, I first moved into a two-bedroom apartment shared with one other; our monthly bill was something like $45. I then moved into a large 6-bedroom warehouse type situation with 7 people, and our bill was like $350-400/month. We were certainly not using more energy per person in that situation, since we were sharing many of the appliances; it wasn't until I found out about the tiered pricing that it made sense.

I did not know about the CA energy rebate, that might shift things much more in favor of charging a car at home.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I once had a CHP officer start to give me grief about a missing registration sticker on my front plate, until I reminded him that they go on the rear plates.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's a good thing it's dry as a bone around here

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

?

Is that about the snorkel?

I mean, I get it but also I've put snorkels on poo poo that absolutely can NOT get their hood under the water without serious repercussions just so I could be behind anyone on a dusty trail ride and not have to stop and bang out my air filer every 30 minutes.

I mean, I don't know poo poo about snorkels so I'm happy to admit this is the wrong thread; I just wanted to share either way because it appeared to be made out of ABS pipe which amused me

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

There is a shitload of fine moon dust around here this time of year so if that's functional for that purpose then I can definitely dig that home depot job.

This was today

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that can still work out. I get it, but it's entirely possible this is functional.

I believe it, it looked like it actually did go in via the fender

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

So you're saying that every year, we're going to put 5% of every existing driver on the road in a weekend course? Apparently there's about 230 million drivers in the US so we're looking at 10 million people in the course every year. According to https://hedgescompany.com/blog/2018/10/number-of-licensed-drivers-usa/, the 2010s have seen about 1% growth in driver population each year, so we'd have 10 times as many people taking remedial driver's ed as we would first-timers (now, as a driver in America, god knows they could probably use it).

Growth in driver population isn’t the same as number of new drivers; otherwise what would it mean for the driver population to decrease? People stop driving for various reasons, including but not limited to death by driving.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I approve of dumping it on Carvana, but hopefully some random individual doesn't end up buying it

https://twitter.com/BrolinWalters/status/1317160793562107904?s=20

Zero pretty much is the answer. I don’t know what they do after they buy a car, but from my personal experience selling a car to them and anecdotal experience from friends indicates that the answer is either: not much, or they’re burning VC cash, or both.

When I sold my A3 etron that was halfway through its lease, carvana offered me $6k more than carmax. Carvana did nothing more than verify the vin and walk around it in a grocery store parking lot prior to closing the deal.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Intentionally broken or unintentionally broken?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

How many cars do Tesla make per year? Also I read that Musk cashed out a bunch of stock options the day before this announcement? How is he not locked up?

He exercised a bunch of stock options, meaning he paid money to turn the options into stock (and sold some holdings to pay for the tax). I wouldn’t call that “cashing out”, and it’s not necessarily something that’s best done when stock prices are high anyway

MetaJew posted:

I don't know if this is the specific case, but a bunch of his options were expiring incredibly deep into the money so he had to exercise at least some of them fairly recently.

But in the other hand it seems these options were actually expiring in August 2022; I’d guess it had more to do with end of tax year poo poo than anything else.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

no lube so what posted:

How is exercising a call option at a lower strike price ever better?

sure, you pay more in absolute terms but you made more in absolute terms and you get the lions share of every marginal dollar.

that statement makes no sense.

I didn't say anything about the strike price. If you have ISOs with a strike price of $1, and plan to exercise and then hold, selling later at, say, $10, you may be better off exercising when the price is $2 than when it is $4, because the spread between strike price and FMV at time of exercise is considered income under AMT ($1 vs $3 in that scenario) whereas the rest of the gain isn't.

poo poo is complicated and I don't claim to know Elon's financial situation in any amount of detail, so I won't make any claim that it was good or bad for him in that situation just saying that exercising options right before a price drop doesn't set off alarm bells in my head because there are plenty of scenarios where you'd rather exercise while the current price is low.

Enough about taxes I'll go out and try to get a photo of a car in a snowbank to contribute content.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 31, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Well I didn’t find any cars in snowbanks but I did spot some various car pieces next to the railroad tracks at a level crossing.

I figured there was a good story there but of course had no idea what it was.

Later checked the local CHP Instagram (as one does…) and the story became clear

https://www.instagram.com/chp_truckee/p/CYKqqoEvq1X/

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The problem with T tops (from experience) is that when you have them you can’t ever actually have the tops on.

If it’s not illegal, it should be. No photo because wrong thread.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Having a hard time imagining any vehicle typically equipped with those having a GVWR under 10k lbs

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ok if average fleet age is the measure and I’m sitting here at:
1970, 1993, 2005, 2008, 2014, 2022, that I can atone for the new ones by just accumulating old ones?

I’ve got the space, brb buying a shitbox 1983 GTI to relive my childhood

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Nothing is more 80s than boning on the hood of a Trans Am.

Not that I would know.

A formula hood might have better ergonomics

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Germans famously love Death Valley for some reason

Reading about the Death Valley Germans was one of the main things that inspired me to get into search and rescue

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Not the weather for it, either.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Saukkis posted:

That sounds like unusually many positions. I would think most manufacturers would have gone analog before that point.

My 2007 BMW has automatic wipers that work pretty well. But this summer I did a Rain-X style coating on the windshield and I got the feeling the auto wipers didn't work as well anymore. It would make sense that it would change the sensor behaviour.

I don’t know the exact count but it seems like my superduty has like 7 positions and it’s honestly too many

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

I still don't know how I feel about the automatic brights. I understand that it's safer to see more, but it's very jarring and I feel bad when it does it in residential areas. Maybe I need to get used to it

I know I don’t like them. I have them and on winding roads it turns off and on too much, and is not sufficiently good at spotting oncoming drivers before blinding them, so I’ve turned them off. I frequently notice what appears to be the same from oncoming drivers when I’m going up and down the hill on I-80 at night to and from Reno; they’ll pass a car ahead of me and the brights turn on. Could also be overactive rear end in a top hat drivers but I’m calling occams razor on this one; an rear end in a top hat / oblivious driver would just leave them on entirely.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I mean neither is opening a door or tailgate but we’ve got motors for those now too.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Bajaha posted:

My experience with them is they're pretty reactivate in turning back to low beams when there's oncoming lights detected. Honestly haven't run into being blinded by oncoming traffic with auto highbeams.

This is counter to my experience both as a driver using them (before I disabled them), and being blinded by them, on mountainous interstates with center dividers. I can fully believe that some do work really well, and aren’t a problem, but it sure seems that not all of them do.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

what about pedestrians? this poo poo is just a solution in search of a problem that doesn't actually exist

I’d be more on board with it if it was a feature where your high beams automatically turn off if it detects that they should, rather than the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

well it's harmless to me

I know fluorocarbon wax isn’t good to inhale! But its banned in competition now and I’m guessing you’re not in the minority of “serious competitive ski racers” anyway