Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bobbilljim posted:

is there even any point to the fender flares?

terrible camper company

I really loving hate wicked campers.

Their shtick is to make their vans look like they've been vandalised and graffitied. Once upon a time, they looked like this and were pretty cool:

Then they ran out of ideas and just went with the sexist and racist poo poo they have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Daihatsu Hijet Type I modified with VW front end:

We used to have a Hong Kong thread here where a guy living there had thousands of incredible photos of all the amazing cars he saw every day. I was always so jealous. The Daihatsu is just one of the great shots he took.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bookmarked. Thanks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

the tron look is really getting old fast

a friend of a friend did it best with the "tronventador" everybody else is totally blowing it with their color selections in my opinion

Holy poo poo, it's Automan!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mighty Horse posted:

I will never understand how a picture of the woods is now suddenly "camouflage"

If you can match your woodlands.jpg camouflage with the perfect background, the results can be pretty impressive.

Also useless, as many animals are colourblind and you might as well wear the day glo orange stuff and worry slightly less about being shot in the head by an overenthusiastic drunken lout with a gun, aka most hunters who buy that poo poo.

kastein posted:

That's one week worth of the poo poo that wouldn't wash off with washer fluid and the wipers during bug season. :v:

I drive through some horrible bug swarms most of the year and the best stuff I've ever found to clean my windows is ordinary dish washing liquid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Xy Hapu posted:

Saw this today while filling up at Costco's . . .

I can only imagine some stupid rumor started floating around that doing this gives you a bit of free gas or something. Otherwise, it's just like, WHY

I know one reason you do need to hold the nozzle upsidedown:

loving flatbed utes.

You can see the fillpoint in the photo at the front of the tray. The fuel line always seems to run horizontally for about a foot before angling down. This mean that fuels washes back and touches the nozzle during filling and makes it shut off.

I worked at a petrol station about 20 years ago when I was at uni. It happened then and it still happens now and it beggars belief that the design hasn't been changed.

So you turn the nozzle upsidedown so that the fuel doesn't touch the little sensor hole and when you finish filling you spill a bunch of petrol from the horizontal section of the pipe onto the ground.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
From the schadenfreude thread:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or you put it wrong way up and they just get a blank sheet of paper.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

xzzy posted:

Illinois had a problem with a huge batch of bad plates about 10 years ago.. the numbers basically instantly rusted their first winter. It was a known problem, and they fixed it relatively quickly but it didn't help anyone who registered a car in that period.

They expected people to pay for replacements and warned they could be ticketed if the plate wasn't legible. :downs:

We had that happen in Australia, expect it was prisoners pissing in the paint mixtures before they made the plates. Turned the white backgrounds all grey and made them crack so bad you couldn't read them.

Examples 1,2 and 3 basically:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

quote:

A female has died after allegedly receiving a ride home from a man who was intoxicated, resulting in the car being engulfed in flames and exploding while she was trapped in the passenger seat.
What's up with everyone calling women "females" now? It's creepy and weird.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The whole article reads likes it's deliberately trying to dehumanise the victim.

quote:

Wilson told police he was giving the female a ride home.

Joseph Wilson is always referred to by his name or once as "a man" and twice as "driver".

The woman is never named and only ever referred to as "female". Oh, and once as " female passenger". Not "young woman". Not "Sun Tan Valley resident".

Nope. Just "female".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And both missing the point entirely.

Referring to women as "females" is the weird and creepy sort of thing the MRAs at Reddit do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PCOS Bill posted:

You missed the point. How you use relative age to refer to a woman, a young woman, an older woman, a teenage girl, etc., gives you a piece of potentially identifying information on an involved party if you know the people associated with someone. Remove the reference to where they are in their stages of life, distill it to "a female," and you remove that.

It's not about her age you twit. It's perfectly possible to retains someone anonymity without referring to them in dehumanising terms.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

LongDarkNight posted:

Knew there had to be a good story when I saw his photo yesterday. Who the gently caress gets arrested for bribery.

I initially read this as one continuous line as was wondering exactly what constituted "reckless bribery".

Although standing next to the burned wreckage of you car and the charred corpse slowly cooling in the passenger seat, then trying to bribe a cop to forget about the whole thing - yeah, I could see that being called reckless bribery. It was a miracle he didn't get his head beaten in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

I'd like to think each of those exhausts are tuned differently and they all have solenoids and a controller so it can play music as you drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mjbkosISj8&t=6s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Count Freebasie posted:

I have a Ryobi drill that looks just like that.

Thank you. I was trying to work out what that car reminded me off, but just couldn't place it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This got me curious, so I did a quick google:

quote:

In March 2009, a 45-year-old man was admitted to the hospital in Skierniewice, Poland, after being struck by a car. The blood test showed blood alcohol content at 1.23%. The man survived but did not remember either the accident or the circumstances of his alcohol consumption.[56]

One such case was reported by O'Neil, and others in 1984. They report on a 30-year-old man who survived a blood alcohol concentration of 1,500 mg/100 ml (1.5%) blood after vigorous medical intervention.[57]

In South Africa, a man driving a Mercedes-Benz Vito light van containing 15 sheep, allegedly stolen from nearby farms, was arrested on December 22, 2010, near Queenstown in Eastern Cape. His blood had an alcohol content of 1.6 g/100 ml (1.6%). Also in the vehicle were five boys and a woman who were also arrested.[58]

In 2004, an unidentified Taiwanese woman died of alcohol intoxication after immersion for twelve hours in a bathtub filled with 40% ethanol. Her blood alcohol content was 1.35%. It was believed that she had immersed herself as a response to the SARS epidemic.[59]

In Poland, a homeless man was found sleeping half-naked on January 28, 2011, in Cieszyn. His blood had an alcohol level of 1.024%. Despite the temperature of −10 °C and extremely high blood alcohol content, the man survived.[60]

In December 2004, a man was admitted to the hospital in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, after being struck by a car. After detecting a strong alcohol odor, doctors at a hospital conducted a breath test which displayed the man's blood alcohol content at 0.914%.[61] The man was treated for serious injuries sustained in the crash and survived.[62]

In February 2005, French gendarmes from Bourg-en-Bresse, France, conducted a breath test on a man who had lost control of his car. He had an alcohol content of 0.976%.[63] He was not injured in the accident but received a custodial sentence and his driving license was canceled.

In 1982, a 24-year-old woman was admitted to the UCLA emergency room with a serum alcohol concentration of 1.51% (1,510 mg/dL), corresponding to a BAC of 1.33%. She was alert and oriented to person and place.[64] Serum alcohol concentration is not equal to nor calculated in the same way as blood alcohol content.[65]

In 2012, on Oct 26th a man from Olszewo-Borki community, Poland, who died in a car accident, recorded 2.23%, however the blood sample was collected from a wound and thus possibly contaminated.[66]

In 2013, on July 26 a 30-year-old man from Alfredówka, Poland, was found by Municipal Police Patrol from Nowa Dęba lying in the ditch along the road in Tarnowska Wola. At the hospital there was recorded that the man had 13.74 permille of alcohol in the blood (1.374%). The man survived.[67][68]

In 1995, a man from Wrocław caused a car accident near his hometown. He had an alcohol content of 1.48% (14,8 permille); he was tested five times but all results were the same. He died a few days later of injuries from the accident.[69]

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 25, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

So, if he damages the tow truck, will he have to pay for it to be repaired as well as whatever he's done to his own car?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

88h88 posted:

People can argue all they want that it's not a bad looking car. Those people often fail to see the fact it has 2 sets of loving A pillars.

It's like someone sat down and thought "how can we make this abortion as awful inside as out? How about giving the driver EVEN MORE blind spots?!"

Yet another thing from the "I've never driven a car or even been in one before in my life" school of design.

What would you even call them? Pre-A pillars?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

davebo posted:

Obviously those are stupid and terrible but I remember seeing in some car magazine in the late 80's or early 90's that Volvo in the interest of safety was working on some concept where basically the A-pillars were super thin with diagonal lines between them like a truss, with glass over it so you could see through. It sure wasn't pretty at all but man you could see everything.

Edit: Nevermind, just ~30 year hazy memory, it was poo poo!

True, but it still stands as a good idea. At least they tried.

Also, I'm a sucker for a full glass rear end :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Powershift posted:

Now back to stuff that's actually terrible.

That back end is so goddamn fat he might was well be driving a Judge Dredd Killdozer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Maybe it's an experimental Porsche?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Powershift posted:

I can't see any markings on it, does this jerry can look up to code?

When I was at uni, I worked at a petrol station and actually had people try this. Also, plastic milk bottles. Glass bottles. 2L Coke bottles. The watering cans we had out for customers to clean their car. Old 50 gallon fertiliser drums. Pretty much everything except approved fuel containers.

And every single one got so goddamn lovely when we told them it was unsafe and illegal to fill them.

Never work any job which involves dealing with the public.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ssangyong are coming up fast, though.

Even just a couple of years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of buying a Korean car, but their range of cheap generics isn't half bad now.

EDIT - just went looking for their earliest stuff to show how far they've come and, I've gotta say, I'm more likely to buy their first car than their current one.

Doesn't hurt that it was a licensed Jeep.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 19, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

EKDS5k posted:

Almost everywhere has pay at the pump, so there's no longer a reason to go inside and be tempted by 3 chocolate bars for $3.33 or whatever. Seems like gas stations collectively shot themselves in the foot and created a catch-22: install pay at the pump machines, and nobody wants to come inside to buy the things they actually make money on, or don't install them, and then everyone just goes down the street to the place that does.

In Australia very few places have pay at the pump. Sites knowingly take a hit with petrol thefts because what they lose is covered by insurance and their insurance costs are more than covered by shop sales.

Fuel thefts are so bad that the police in Victoria publicly came out and stated they would no longer follow up on them. They're pretty much, "You guys can stop this happening overnight but you're too greedy to do so. We're no longer going to waste our time with your bullshit."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
When I was at uni in the 90s I worked a lot of poo poo jobs, including at petrol stations. More than one tried that poo poo. The first time I just stole back the dollar equivalent from them.

Later, at other sites, I just threatened to call the ombudsman.

loving terrible that poo poo still goes on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

dissss posted:

Mobil has put pay at the pump back in in NZ and weirdly it has a 6c/l discount over paying in the store

Not that it's a real discount, every chain has some sort of loyalty or discount scheme so 6c is about the least you'd expect.

Mobil had the CRIPS system in Australia, too.

However, Mobil no longer exists in Australia. They sold off every single one of their stores, mostly to 7/11.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well it's terrible in that Holden no longer exists as of 20th October :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I had someone try to steal my very first car, a lovely little Laser, by doing that. I was so annoyed; the door seal was never the same after that and always let huge amounts of road noise in.

They didn't succeed because the interior lock pin and handle had both broken off.

What I'll never understand is why anyone would try to steal such a broken down shitbox as that car was.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

xzzy posted:

Someone dig up that video of some drunk idiots trying to smash open a side window of an Audi for like 30 minutes and getting nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw39SIiHrQ

Remember, you need something with a point on it.

Also, wow, typing "breaking car window with head" brings up more results than I could have loving imagined.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

InitialDave posted:

From a 1934 car magazine:

Safety first!

Real men use turnbuckles :colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
A lot of places in Australia will, but you'll also often see notices up saying that they add a surcharge.

From what I can tell, it's not because Amex is an overseas card, most places will take cards from anywhere in the world if they have Visa or Mastercard on them, but because of how lovely the company is to deal with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ihop posted:

Can't look away from that grill

I have to say, I like the idea of that grill.

Reminds me of Mondrian composition

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

xzzy posted:

Running the rear defroster has done a better job cleaning the window in every hatchback I've owned.

I drive a Ford Escape and the aerodynamics of the big flat roof cause all the rain to run down the rear window rather than fly off the back of the car.

Driving slow in heavy rain, it's like a bloody river back there. Driving fast, it gets covered in a million drops that don't move.

Sure the rear wiper is a solution for a problem which never should have existed in the first place, but it still is a solution.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Right click > unmute

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Saw this posted online and am still trying to work out why this thing was allowed to come into existence,

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Japan. If it's a small weird car that exists, the answer is Japan. It's a Toyota WiLL Vi and was one of the results of a weird multiple Japanese company partnership in order to aim products at a younger audience. I think they were only sold at select Toyota dealers.

That may legitimately be the worst interior I have ever seen in my life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Saw this myself while out for a walk yesterday.

First thought it was just some pathetic gamer way too into Overwatch, but then I looked closer :ughh:

Is that a picture of the car's owner on the right, there?

I can only assume someone who really hated the car's owner did that because the idea that people are just publicly and proudly displaying the fact they're into depictions of rape is not something I can deal with right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah I was under the impression hentai just meant pervert...

Okay, then. I stand corrected.

I thought it was tentacle porn/rape.

I mean, it's creepy anime poo poo, so there was like a 90% chance I was going to be right.