Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

You go faster if you're always driving downhill! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Almost every car maker offers a factory tow bar. The large cars (Falcons and Commodores) are designed to have heavyweight towbars and have bumper cutouts and underbody mount points ready to go. Imported cars usually get a Haymen Reece of varying capacity marked as a factory kit.

Big cars like my Caprice that have the heavyweight tow bars have a Haymen Reece tow bar that is rebranded Holden. Mine has a tow limit of 2300kg or in South Australia 2700 kgs. Apart from the mind blowing ability to drink fuel when climbing it'll handle that kind of weight quite well.

Chewing 5 litres of fuel to climb Victoria Pass gets old pretty quick tho. Last event towing to, the car drained the 80 litre tank in 240 kms.

Yup. My VE Commodore came with a Holden-branded Hayman Reese 50mm hitch receiver bar rated to 2100kg (or 4600lb) braked.

I'm fairly sure the tongue type tow bars are only rated to 1600kg, but the hitch receiver bars are far more common.

There is a removable square panel moulded into the middle of the bumper insert that can be taken out for a towbar.

I'm moving from Melbourne to Perth in 4 months, towing an 8x5 box trailer, so it should be interesting to see what difference that makes to my fuel consumption.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Oh my god I want this so much it hurts

The plans are still available...

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

I can't believe nobody pointed this out.

BWM E65 7 Series centre armrest... in a Starion... in the wrong color... no doubt with nothing actually hooked up... in a Starion...

WHY?!?! :psypop:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Speaking of terrible cars, about what year did Hyundai go from being a bad idea to a good value?

I have a 2005 Elantra, which has done the metric equivalent of 125,000 miles, and cost me the Australian equivalent of US$1600.

I got it after it had been given to a 21 year old guy who spent 3 years beating the ever loving poo poo out of it, and not maintaining it at all.

I bought it knowing it needed tyres, a timing belt, a clutch, replacement driveshafts, rear wheel bearings, suspension bushings, a service, spark plugs, complete fluid change, and one hell of a loving clean (hence why I paid about 1/4 of book value) but even still, it started right up after sitting for three months, the engine ran smoothly, it shifted well, and despite having a bit of a shabby body, the rest of the car has cleaned up pretty nicely.

Admittedly, I've dropped about $800 on parts for it, but considering that it's a Hyundai, and an old, very abused one at that, it runs and drives brilliantly now it's actually had some TLC... No smoke, no rattles, and everything works perfectly.

Edit: The other advantage to driving a cheap car, of course, is being able to do stuff like this and give zero fucks:

Red steelies and lettered hotrod tyres? :whatup:

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 17, 2013

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

General_Failure posted:

Did you do the lettering? If so nice job.

I did. Thought these tyres deserved it with a name like Sneaker - that and the Bridgestone logo are pretty much the only really visible text on the sidewalls.

Only got one wheel done as a bit of a trial before my (admittedly quite old) paint pen ran out, and I've wiped it off.

I'll be buying more paint and doing them all once the weather dries up.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

thealphabetsez posted:

That is so cool! Would you mind sharing a bit about the process and everything involved?

General_Failure posted:

I'd like to see this too. It'd go perfectly with my Hankook RA-08s on the rattlecan black wheels. Just for fun :)

I did it with one of these Artline 400 paint markers, but I suspect you could just as easily do it with a proper tyre crayon or different paint pen.

Jack up the wheel so it's easier to spin as you work, go around the outline of each letter, one after the other. On my tyres if I followed them around in order, the first letter was fully dry by the time I finished the last letter.

After that, paint the inside of each letter with 3-4 coats until the color is even, one at a time, working around the sidewall. Works best if you keep the strokes running in the same direction and just overlap them very slightly.

The paint out of these pens is quite thin and tended to run if it got into the grooved surface on the sidewall outside the letters, so for my next attempt, I'll do the outlines with a finer tipped pen first, and then use the thicker pen to just do the filling.

I used a cotton swab dipped in thinners to clean up any untidy bits.

It's not hard, but it is fiddly and a bit time consuming.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

"Please be aware that this car does *not* shoot pink flames out of the exhaust when you shift gears, and it seems to be missing it's Manifold warning system laptop. Also, I have pushed every button I could find while driving but have not yet found the one that activates the NOS. The system may have disabled itself because it can't warn me when my manifold is in danger, but my fiancée and I are not really car people, so we don't know.

I'm pretty sure these things can be easily fixed by fitting a new laptop and getting a tune up."

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Very stupid place to be in the first place, but were I in his shoes, it'd be foot hard down and drive through the loving boom gate.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Im not seeing things, That intercooler IS bolted hard up against the firewall isnt it?

Yes. Also that is a... somewhat interesting* rear suspension set up. And the geometry doesn't look bizarre at ALL.

*drug inspired.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Puddin posted:

How do you call shotgun in these things?

Whoever gets in a driver's seat and gets it running and moving first.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

drukqs posted:

I'm moving out in the next month or two.

And you're going to all this trouble? To hell with them. You're leaving.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

Nah mate. Thats a Morgan. :downs:

Can't be. Wood doesnt rust. :haw:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Buttons? Knobs? Touchscreens? Yuck.

I hate automatics in general (had no other option in my last car), but there is nothing quite so satisfying as committing the correct sequence of pushing and releasing the lockout button to muscle memory so you can move the shifter from P to D or vice versa in one fluid motion without looking or having to hold the button in the entire time and risk overshooting.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

2044's hipsters might be hoarding today's LCD TVs and PS4s though).

"Check this out guys, this is insanely great, it's got a 28.8 BPS modem!"

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Considering the questionable build quality and reliability, I think that one is actually very appropriate.

Lucas the Jaguar.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

AlmightyPants posted:

If the other remastered Tim Schafer games are any indication, the voice acting will be from the master recordings and maybe cleaned up a little. Probably not going to have anyone else doing it.

*click*
"I don't have anything."
*click*
"I don't have anything."
*click*
"I don't have anything."

Ah, memories.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

My Rover with the Buick 215ci V8 made 155hp in 1985.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

I can't wait for Doug Demuro to declare that he loves it and it's the best thing ever.

For more of his thoughts on this Escalade, check out auto trader dot com slash oversteer,

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Memento posted:

Caption was "rental with thousands of miles"

Wait, they're still making cars with drum bra... :aaa:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

NoWake posted:

Erm, no. Do not do this. Somebody should put Jaguar's marketing department on a tighter leash.

Don't cross the streams arms.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

"Car gets 24 mph on flat terrain"

Sounds about right...

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Falken posted:

condition: good

Look again...

quote:

1984 Honda

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Guess the car!

Pontiac G8.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

tobu posted:

Hmm. I don't recognize this Merc?

This is a terrible idea, surprisingly well executed.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Powershift posted:

Also it's $58,000 and has a 100 year warranty

$58k and all you get is 45º and 90º angles.

Are the rest in some sort of option package?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

What’s worse is that he claims to be a car audio installer, yet that system looks like a complete pile of random cheap poo poo poorly cobbled together.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Some will implement an actual pressure readout on the driver info display or odometer

My Chrysler 300 does this, which is great.

What isn’t so great is that if the units are set to metric, it gives the tyre pressures in bar.

Here in Australia, we measure our tyre pressure in good old psi, or if you’ve got one of those high-falutin’ European cars, kPa. Most service stations here have digital pumps with a button to switch between the two.

I have yet to come across one anywhere that shows pressure in bar.

MrYenko posted:

My favorite is the VW implementation: Light comes on for low pressure, stays on indefinitely even after the tires are properly serviced, until you press a button in the glovebox.

What the gently caress, VW?

This is the cheapest way of measuring the pressure, and it’s all done in software - There are no sensors in the wheels, the ECU measures the rotation of the tyres using the ABS sensors instead.

Lowering the tyre pressure changes the circumference, which in turn changes the number of revolutions required to cover a given distance.

If one is different to the others for long enough, the ECU assumes the tyre pressure is incorrect and turns on that light.

Edit: This also means that it’s theoretically possible to vastly overinflate all four, hit that reset button, and the light will remain off because they are all the same.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 24, 2017

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

InitialDave posted:

You seriously can't convert kPa to bar?

Of course. It’s just not the unit of measure we commonly use here, and being able to change it separately would be nice... Joe average Commodore or Falcon owner knows 36psi, not 2.482 bar.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 24, 2017

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

PATINA!

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Fieronado?

Fieriviera?

Kinda see a bit of late sixties Toronado and Riviera in the front of this.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

You Am I posted:

These are the Northern Territory Meth dealers/users you deal with:

I don't get what it is with meth use and the desire to build things... My brother-in-law uses meth among other things, and when he was in hospital recently (after attempting to kill himself for the second time in three days), my partner and I went to pick up all his personal possessions from the rental he was being evicted from.

At some point he had obtained a gasless MIG welder.

His garage was *filled* from floor to ceiling with booger welded, poorly made workbenches assembled out of scrap steel and whatever else he had laying around... The sort of work benches that would be in the workshop that Saab came out of.

We're in WA, so it must not be an NT-specific thing.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Frond posted:

This is the only Austin Marina I have ever seen (Toronto, Canada). The sticker on the plate says 2017 but since that is a truck plate this Marina 1.8 Sedan has probably sat for far longer. It has the small bumpers and an Automatic transmission. Thoroughly mediocre vehicle, and it must be one of the last of it's kind in North America.

That can’t possibly be a Marina.

There’s no piano on the roof.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have hundreds of millions of quid, there's nothing to fear! gently caress we could even go in Maserati Biturbos!

I don’t think even *that* is enough money to make one, let alone multiple Biturbos long-trip reliable.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

can any of you car people what in the gently caress this is

It looks like the clay styling model rolled into a wall on a hot day and nobody bothered fixing it.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Powershift posted:

So he pissed off car guys, house guys, and now boat guys by being an incredible doofus.

hopefully he goes after the plane guys next

“All of these avionics displays, gauges and radios, well, they aren’t compatible with... you know, modern systems, so I removed them to make space for my cooler of Natty Light, and just replaced all of them with this...”

*hotglues iPad to panel*

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

STR posted:

IIRC it was American Express, which has very sensitive fraud protection. Especially with the higher tier cards that you need really insane credit to get.

The sort of credit that someone who buys and sells his own exotic cars probably has, no doubt.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

hitze posted:

Give me all the Rabbit stories you can give me

Yup. Rabbit and Doug Tabbutt from Switchcars are both great storytellers.

Casey Putsch too.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

This is how we remind him, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Right manufacturer, wrong car.

Gremlin?