Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Didn't see the owner, assuming extreme grossness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

blugu64 posted:

Texas License plate. If you're 20miles outside a metropolitan area, don't assume anything.

This is in a metro area and why would that preclude grossness?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

blugu64 posted:

Outside the metro areas (I'm looking at you San Antonio), even non-gross women might be driving something like that. Granted they might also raise hogs for show at the county fair, but hey, what are you going to do?

You have a very broad definition of non-gross, my friend.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Poisonlizard posted:

I had looked at it twice before I realized it didn't say fairyslut.

It does...just not directly.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BigPaddy posted:

And yet despite everything that has been said here about the driver likely not being easy on the eyes or sane because she plays WoW she has an endless supply of lonely nerds to boost her self esteem.

maybe this chick moved?? m.o. seems similar (not that that means anything)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I know, those poor Chinese people.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Men can have long hair too :eng101:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think a visually 100% stock but supercharged V6 Camry would be license-endangering amounts of automotive trolling fun.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Snowdens Secret posted:

The stock Camry V6 is already 268 HP and healthy torque, and it's not that heavy a car.

My family has owned a series of V6 Camrys and Lexus ES's over the past 25ish years, and they can be shockingly fast if the driver uncharacteristically actually pushes the gas pedal. The current model has a solidly sub-6 second 0-60, and that's on generally mediocre stock all-seasons.

Oh I know the current V6 is a capable powertrain but supercharging would be even better. :v: I looked up some videos and the only downside would be the rather dispiriting noise it makes but I could probably deal.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Yeah it would have been an easier method if it did anything but rev the gently caress out of the engine even more.

The engine will deal with being wanged off the rev limiter for 15-20 seconds until you can shut it down.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

veedubfreak posted:

Yes, but when you turn the engine off, your brakes are going to be poo poo also. The wonders of power assisted brakes.

At least with new cars and drive by wire, there is basically 0 chance of hurting the engine as it just cuts fuel when it hits redline.

It's been that way for years. My 15 year old mechanical linkage vehicle cuts fuel at 7200 RPM. As far as I know fuel cut has been a thing for many decades at this point - probably came in shortly after EFI, I would think.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Delivery McGee posted:

I bet this guy never gets pulled over.

Actually, he probably doesn't -- driver was a white kid in an oilfield-company work jacket. But he has questionable taste in stickers, anyway.

(I blanked the tag because it wasn't an amusing vanity plate, and not sure of the ethics of posting plates.)

Yep, nothing says "V8 eater" like a 200 BHP minivan engine.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I first learned of the 3000GT in Gran Turismo. It was a much better video game car. Also I don't know who designs the interiors but they are amazingly cramped given how huge the exterior is. My tiny-rear end Integra is more accommodating. It's even slower than a 3000GT but you can't have everything :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I saw this guy a few days ago on my way to lunch. After the light he proceeded to tailgate the pickup in a 30 mph zone, then when the pickup turned, went off at 40 mph right in front of a school (20 mph limit). His Hyundai Original Civic Accent Bella IS100 also did not sound at all healthy.

An rear end in a top hat behind the wheel in Massachusetts? Surely you jest.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha. Here is the motorcycle equivalent: Ninja 250 at Laguna Seca vs liter bikes and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

In all fairness a 250 is a lot less scary to drive hard than a liter bike :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

blk posted:

Had to give them a jump this weekend. Why the poo poo do manufacturers insist on packaging stuff like this?

It's what you get for buying a tarted-up Camry. :colbert:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

CommieGIR posted:

Am I the only one tempted to cut their timing belt for exposing it like that?

Why bother? Something else will cut it soon enough.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Kill-9 posted:

So uncool. If it was an American car of the era I guarantee they didn't even feel it.

I couldn't decide what thread this should go in. I think it's awesome but I'll let y'all be the judge. Seen at Cars and Coffee in Austin yesterday.

It's amusing but kind of the inverse of what it needs to be. See, I can't imagine most Lambo owners getting too mad about someone having a little fun with their insane supercar. Stick a Lambo badge on a GT3, however, and watch the hateful glares roll in...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm voting the modding party got lazy and left the original intake in place despite the fact that it's non-functional.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

blk posted:

I thought Honda ads couldn't get any worse than the Michael Bolton ones, but I was wrong

(from Spotify)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJ5reqihQk

This has been an ongoing theme (internet cats) for Honda for a bit now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Knock off the spoiler, get a stock hood, paint it black and I'll bet it wouldn't be bad looking at all. That's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth :rice:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rhyno posted:

Dude I love badly riced cars, if his price wasn't in the batshit level I'd make an offer.

Oh for sure, $3500 for a hacked 22 year old Prelude (with a base engine no less) is crazy, even in a post Cash for Clunkers world.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tha Chodesweller posted:

As a Prelude owner I am not surprised. The poo poo you see in the Prelude "community" includes, but is not limited to, park bench wings, "hella sick drifts," and quite literally people bragging about speeding tickets.

But as it is with cars and driving in general, the community consists of mostly idiots.

e: guess some of this should go in the "these are the people you share a road with" thread.

Speeding tickets can only be had in fast cars. That's why I was never pulled over in my '84 Skyhawk or my '91 Tercel.

Not once.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tha Chodesweller posted:

You could probably end up speeding if you were going downhill and liberally applying the gas pedal. :D

Didn't even need a downhill, just commitment. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Terrible Robot posted:

Had a guy brag to me last night about how he had replaced the passenger side (like, the B pillar, C pillar and floor pan) of his mothers car after she was T-boned using only an oxy torch and wire coat hangers as welding tools. Favorite bit: "yyeap, yah gotta pull up on the rear door a bit to get it to latch but otherwise it looks like nothin happened" :catstare: :gonk: I share the road with this abomination.

To be completely fair, she might have been a lousy mother and he doesn't like her?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Those spaces appear to be cut specifically for those small electric/hybrid hire cars and aren't at all representative of Euro-land parking spaces though?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PainterofCrap posted:

Well if Switzerland was any indication, then yes; yes they are.

I was surprised I didn't see more door dings.

(edit: vehicle disqualified for thread, shown to represent parking slot size only).

That looks like a fair size space, especially since it's accommodating the truck so easily.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

drukqs posted:

Is murder legal yet?

The obvious answer is only use first gear on your street, and always do exactly whatever the speed limit is.

e: What is the offending vehicle in question?

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 4, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

surebet posted:

Ugh, long story short a female for whom I've been carrying a torch for a dozen years just announced a new relationship on facebook. Curious, I checked the guys out.

Hundreds of photos of this:

Tightened that up a little for ya.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Doge always makes me laugh, but I have a lovely nerd sense of humor, so.

edit: Exhibit A: my avatar and usertext

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 16, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The license plate makes this one the saddest of all. :smith:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 23, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

What are people getting for real world mileage out of those things? I pulled 54mpg on my commute today with the pussywagen TDI. Eighteen mile commute half highway half surface streets.

I guy I work with has a Volt. Says he got 156mpg out of his last tank commuting to work as back.

I could see that if he has a short commute - I think the Volt does around 40 miles just on electric. Of course at that point you have to factor in electricity usage but I don't imagine that's a really huge offset.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I actually like the way it looks (continentals suit the PT, no surprises there), but $600 plus paint and it's not even a functional spare? Yeah, eff that noise.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

drukqs posted:

So brutal.

oil pressure gauge sprung a leak

how do you even accomplish this :psyduck:

I mean, wouldn't you have to tap the oilpan and run a send and return into the cabin? How is that cheaper or easier than tapping the wiring harness or running a remote snding unit?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Even so, I don't see how that would be cheaper than a sending unit that threads into the same port once you get done running tubing (or is it hard line?)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It is cheaper. Take a look at Auto Meter; you're looking at like a $100 gauge with stepper motors and stuff, or $30 for a good ol' boy gauge that runs boiling oil directly into your eyes dashboard.

Oh, see - I was expecting that the tube was something worthwhile when in fact it's some bottom-feeding teflon affair that'll explode the first time you look at it crossways. In related forum posts there was a whole lotta "well my buddy has never had a problem so why spend more money?!" because no one can figure out it's the sort of problem that, while rare, only need to happen once to be a complete clusterfuck and any precaution taken is a good one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I can't believe you paid a week and a half of impound fees to get a burned out Accord back. Then again you said you had access to pretty good drugs, so :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GutBomb posted:

If you don't pay don't they just send you to collections?

No clue, I've been fortunate enough to avoid the impound yard so far.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Motronic posted:

I guess you didn't know that plugs will get smashed to no gap like that when you're trying to start it with liquid in the cylinders. It's one of the dead giveaways.

Well two mechanics missed it so it can't be that obvious :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wasabi the J posted:

I just found out the car that makes my favorite noise and was honestly the nicest I've personally ridden in could be mine for $27k ignoring all the maintenance costs for a cheap expensive car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPOpgP9pEk

It's me, I'm the terrible car stuff.

Holy poo poo is the OEM exhaust the superior choice in this case. I assume that's what they changed.