Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

YF19pilot posted:

Anyways, here's something a friend of mine from Fingal, ND shared:
I'm reminded of that goon that got a white limo that was totally trashed on the inside. Wish I knew what happened to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Tusen Takk posted:

Move to Michigan, have no inspections, and come to the Secretary of State office for your DMV needs in half the time.

:D
Yeah, if you want to wait in line! Renew online! We're pretty sure you have insurance, so go ahead.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

drgitlin posted:

Those segway tours have been going on for at least the last five years.
I think they have been around since 2003 and at least since 2006, based on the past couple of times I've visited DC.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

some texas redneck posted:

Does downtown Dallas really look that much like DC? :confused:
Well, I thought that was in reference to the inauguration and all I've ever seen of Dallas is the ride from the airport to a hotel, so maybe?

I didn't put "down here" and your name together and that looked to me like some of the older neighborhoods of DC and what the hell do I know? I probably wouldn't be able to identify a photo in Detroit if there weren't burned out buildings or potholes in the street.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

veedubfreak posted:

Oh yes, I know the weather. I grew up in Houston. Faded and peeling clear is just one of those things that bug me.
I live in the rust belt. I just try to keep the rust at bay and don't really care with how the paint looks. Best I ever did was use the wax option at the U-Wash.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

kastein posted:

My favorite vanity plate ever. Definitely doesn't belong in this thread :v:

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Apropos of nothing, that photo was taken in Ferndale, MI right outside of Detroit. I live not too far from where it was taken. Now I need to find that truck because that plate is awesome.

Tusen Takk posted:

Holy poo poo, that's my friend John's truck, he rebuilt that entire Bronco over a summer and we went through a shitload of junkyards to find different parts to the interior. I haven't actually talked to him in a few months, but last I checked, he still had it :allears:
That's what I love and fear about this forum. Take and post a picture at a random intersection and there's a decent chance someone can identify exactly where that is.

I'm also amazed at how many local goons I see pop up.

GutBomb posted:

Why is she the idiot when you were you going 60MPH on what's a major road with stores on it which is likely a 35/40MPH zone?

Tusen Takk posted:

Speedlimit was 60mph and she didn't look where she was going.
Surface streets with speeds of 50-60mph aren't exactly common around here, but they do exist. And they usually cross a 30-45mph street.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Before I clicked to enlarge the photo, I thought it was something like a large crew cab truck on a semi frame. or something just moderately stupid. Then I clicked and just started laughing.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Question on all these cars with batteries in weird locations: How the hell do you jumpstart the car? Are there remote battery posts or do you have to basically take off the wheel/brace bar/open the rear door and lift up the carpet?

This is pretty much a monthly concern for me (mostly jumping other cars).

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
My only cage knowledge comes from these threads, so pardon the stupid questions.

Is that mid-car loop tube actually crooked or is that just a trick of the camera angle? And if it is crooked (assuming all other welds were not poo poo), would that necessarily be a problem?

If the welds weren't poo poo and the tubes properly notched instead of crimped AND it wasn't electrical conduit/exhaust pipe, could this design be a good cage or is the tube placement that bad?

The tube the drivers seat is connected to... if the car got into an accident, couldn't that end up twisting your back and being really really bad?

quote:

Needs: roll cage to be bolted in the rear (currently bolted in the front), alignment (I may have it done before the final purchase), body work (if you want it show car perfect), seat brackets if you want to bolt the NRG carbon fiber seat to the floor.
Aren't both of these, oh I don't know, really loving important?

And how the hell is this car "street legal"? Were the modifications done after the last inspection?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

toplitzin posted:

I did some internet detecting. This is in Livonia, MI at the corner of 6 mile and Middlebelt.
You're right! I thought I recognized that truck! You'd never know it from looking at the truck, but it's advertising the sign and body wrap shop that this truck is parked in front of.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Powershift posted:

Hey, road salt crew.

CHILL THE gently caress OUT WITH THE SALT.

This was one day, the truck was clean when i started the day. this is why we can't have solid older cars :argh:
Hey, if there isn't a quarter inch slab of salt on the road and your car, they are not doing their job!

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Snowdens Secret posted:

One would think the 'ole PVC bar on chains hanging 11'6" a few carlengths ahead of the bridge itself would get the job done.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? They have one that says "If you hit this, you WILL hit the bridge!" And they do and, well, they do.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Fucknag posted:

The huge diameter lowers the flow speed, making the big bad smoke clouds look distinctly unimpressive. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFxTzd69b4

I also like the description of this video. "Yeah, we know they're loving stupid, but rednecks will pay us bug bucks for 'em so here we are!"

Soon it will be inline 24"-36" stacks like a cruise ship! Take a 50 gallon drum, chrome it and sell it to idiots.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
I thought this license plate would apply as terrible.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

HotCanadianChick posted:

And towing it with what?
I tow with a 2002 Focus! $250 for the trailer, $100 for the hitch, can do light duty pulling. The MOST I've ever pulled was probably near 2000 lbs in an overtaxed trailer, but you bet your rear end I went slow and careful. Most of the time I barely pull more than the trailer weighs. Moved a riding lawn mower, a few upright pianos, a wooden playset. Nothing over 10 miles so far, and I doubt I've changed more than 100ft in elevation when doing so (~350ft above sea level). So for incredibly light duty, your little car could probably do it.

Although it's probably terrible car stuff and I am posting in the right thread.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Terrible license plate stuff. I didn't see any other stickers or horrible stuff on or in the rest of the car.

This parking lot is where I see most of my terrible car stuff. From wood screws and sheet metal patches to more horrible license plates.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
CONTENT: The axle nut that wouldn't budge

NOT CONTENT

kastein posted:

Hey you're not giving external pentalobe security torxplus enough credit here.
Hmm. Would it be possible to create such a beast that you have to engage the external pentalobe, the inner torxplus AND the center hex security pin or else you can't unscrew it? (If so, I need to make this and then get companies to use it)
EDIT: OH! *AND* make it so you can't replace the inner parts of the tool so if you have a 3/4" external pentalobe with a T8 torxplus and 2mm hex, you need a new tool for 3/4" external pentalobe with a T7 torxplus and 2mm hex /EDIT
EDIT2: Like a more complicated patterned lug nut, with a few added steps for complexity.

The top will also be made so if you go over the torque spec by more than 2%, the head sheers off, and with a few off-center harder metal rods going through the bolt, drilling it out will be difficult. This will increase per-unit cost to the manufacturers, but they will see more replacement part revenue since attempts to drill out the screw with the broken off head will screw up the part. At dealership service will increase because no one wants to have to replace a part because they broke off the bolt. (Dealers will be required to purchase the special tools AND the approved broken-bolt extractor (which will clamp onto the engine and use a special drill bit for the extraction).
All broken off heads will not be covered under warranty and no matter the reason (even the dealer mechanics breaking off the head), and it will all be pointed at the customer doing unauthorized access/service to the car and will void all the warranties.
Is this evil enough yet?

Also, I'm terrible and I like torx and think torxplus is a good idea.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 23, 2015

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Memento posted:

If I wanted one of those 1" drive 6000ft/lb monsters, what should I be googling for, and what sacrifices will I need to make? Just a goat, or are we moving to actual human sacrifice territory?

I searched for 1" torque multiplier in Google image search and found this link pretty quickly. And yes, it's on Amazon under a from a few different suppliers.

Yeah, I may get one too.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

CommieGIR posted:

No, brotrucks and hellaflush are a special sort of....stupid.
Got me thinking, there's gotta be a horribly stupid way to make a hellaflush brotruck. Fractions of an inch of ground clearance, horrible suspension so the axle is above the roof, or a complex as hell arrangement without an axle in the middle and right-angle gearing that goes straight up the back of the wheel.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

HotCanadianChick posted:

No Belushi, no dice. :mad:

Agreed. Why let a little thing like death stop someone from participating?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnnS47bFG_c
Fake edit: It did not like me pasting that video as a URL.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Enourmo posted:

My favorite line from that video:

"Of course we could lower the floor and ceiling, but the driveshaft would be higher than the floor.

This would have disadvantages."

*Shows an uncovered driveshaft in the passenger footwell*

The understatement of the year.

Isn't that more or less what they do with smaller cars now anyway? A transmission tunnel? I know that my Focus has/had something like that for the exhaust, and I imagine that a 4WD/AWD sedan would have something like that.

That Focus has been retired as a future project car, which I just know will be a terrible car story (2002 FWD 2.0L, want to replace it with a newer Ecoboost and AWD). Got a new Explorer a month ago, tried to move the Focus and the belts were squealing, a battery light was on, the car was hard to start and the cabin started filling with smoke. SO YEAH, the power steering pump seized.

And that car pulled overloaded trailers when I was moving, but it was relatively flat land, I just took it easy because I knew it was overloaded.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They probably ordered the non-heated windshield for a Limited or something.

I didn't know that heated windshields were even a thing! Apparently Ford even has a system called Quickclear. Totally would have wanted that as an option for the winter package.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Would putting a small strip of heater element paint/wire on the bottom of a windshield to defrost the wipers? The rear window in my car (2013 Explorer) has a section like that, a bit of that in a squiggle pattern.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

nm posted:

I'm assuming shocks.

I've seen that on more than a few cars, generally not as bad as that, though generally on the rear wheel.
I am pretty sure that's what was happening to my Focus when I took the pic below. Rear driver's side tire, I was experiencing some occasional strong vibrations at freeway speed. I thought it was the brakes before I pulled off the tire but they were fine.

The car was then very slowly driven to the tire place a quarter mile away. They replaced the rear shocks (I think it was the 3rd time under their free for life warranty) and I got a set of new tires.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
So David Spade got into a car accident. Apparently "1 of his rear tires went flying about 100 feet"

How fast was the car going that it ripped the wheel off like that? Or is there some flaw in the bolts that would cause them to break like that?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Frank Dillinger posted:

They should sell them all as "race-only" cars for a spec-TDI series. Heck, the cars are already at the track!
24 Hours of LeMons starts a new 168 hour variant. Car dies? Grab another one. Team that goes through the least number of cars wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
The noise requirement for electric cars reminds me of the old red flag traffic laws, so I wonder how long they will be in effect until they are abandoned.