Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not what I'd call terrible, but page number appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

neckbeard posted:

It surprisingly has a good, quick, resolution, but the initial post was a major WTF. Doesn't say if the tech did actually get charged, hopefully does get a vandalism charge

I was surprised at how quickly Valvoline admitted damages and settled up without any issues at all.

I've read quite a few stories of cars with the under-aero stuff getting cut into by quick-lube places, which is why I've always done my own oil changes on the ST so far, but the draining of the tranny fluid and not replacing it after discovering it wasn't the oil.. that's pretty bad.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I admit that it took me a few seconds to see what the problem was, since I don't do turbo plumbing. But.. umm.. that's pretty funny.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Im pretty sure he means the little timber or gyprock panel that covers the hole into your ceiling cavity rather than the cast iron bastard out in the street that covers the sewer...

That makes a lot more sense to me. I used to work in manholes (phone, not sewer), and those covers are loving heavy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bigbillystyle posted:

All this flying manhole cover talk and today in Boston a woman was killed by such a thing. They're saying another vehicle dislodged the cover sending it airborne when It crashed through the windshield of the woman's Honda. Pretty terrible car stuff there. Full story for those interested https://www.bostonglobe.com/2016/02...2ZRN/story.html

They're saying that it was most likely a heavy vehicle, possibly a truck, that dislodged the cover and sent it airborne but they are looking over surveillance footage to try and figure out exactly what happened.

Wow... that's, pretty terrible. Not a drat thing you could do about that either if you are the poor person that it flys up in front of.

I'm sort of shocked that they have unsecured manhole covers on an interstate though. Here we don't have any manholes on any of the freeways or interstates, they are only on surface streets which have lower speed limits, and even there, if they are on semi-high speed streets in main traffic lanes they are typically secured, usually with terrible 5 pointed bolts that are always screwed up and a huge pain to get off, but sometimes they are actually welded, which is even more of a pain in the rear end if you need to get into that manhole.

The picture of that manhole cover from the article shows no visible securing points. Still would take some freak set of circumstances to get it dislodged and launched into the air though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bigbillystyle posted:

I'm surprised at that too, that there are unsecure manhole covers on such a busy interstate. Supposedly there is an inspection process for all the drains and manhole covers set by the state that happens every 2 years and this cover was inspected in June of 2014 so it was just about due for its bi-annual checkup. I don't know what there is to inspect though if it isn't even held down by bolts or welds. Maybe just the overall fit?

My guess is that they inspect the overall fit and condition, because when the manhole ring and the concrete that secures it gets loose, it can cause the manhole lid to either get loose and therefore subject to too much motion when a vehicle travels over it, or the ring can warp and cause the lid to start sitting at an angle, again subject to motion or flipping when a vehicle goes over it. In Phoenix I've seen a manhole that 'popped' out of the ring on a really hot day. I'm not really sure of what happened, but my guess at the time was that the lid was a very tight fit, and it expanded from the heat enough that it just popped out of the ring. The sides of that particular lid were an old design with slight slopes, not vertical edges.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They recently assigned parking spaces at our old complex but it hasn't stopped a few residents from still parking in someone else's spot. We still have friends there and recently the property manager had an offending car towed from their space. A few days later they went outside to find the windshield smashed. I'm so glad we have a a garage and driveway.

This is a big reason that I'm happy to have my own house with garage. The car actually gets to live in the garage where it isn't visible or can be hosed with by random stupid teenagers or vindictive people, and I never have to worry about someone taking my spot. Also, maintenance in a garage is just SO much nicer than street/parking lot maintenance.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm glad that the security side it someone else's problem. I'm not nearly creative enough to be a good security guy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Meydey posted:

Hope I'm not too late for hitch shaming. This is one of my coworkers.

His front bumper was about an inch off the wall also. I should check with HR and see if OSHA covers walking into that.

I had a coworker do that (not with that dumb of a hitch though), but instead of parking with the hitch out in the car travel lane, he/she backed in until the tires hit the curb, blocking about half the sidewalk with the truck itself, and then another foot or so with the hitch, leaving maybe 8-12" of sidewalk open for people to actually walk down. It was bad enough that I reported it to security, and they looked up who owned it and made them go outside and move it.

I have a neighbor who has a truck that is almost too long for his driveway that pulls that poo poo all of the time too, instead of pulling right up against his garage door, he leaves room to walk in front of the truck, which of course means about 12" or so of the truck is in the sidewalk. Then he leaves his hitch in (or sometimes the tailgate down, because 'airflow for better mileage' believer) sticking way out into the sidewalk. It's actually pretty drat difficult to see if you are walking at night, as his driveway is in a pretty dark spot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cakefool posted:

After all non-violent methods have been exhausted of course, like mentioning it to them.

I did actually.. fixed it for about a week, maybe even two.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

D C posted:

Serious question though what is it that makes people predominately back into parking spots?

When I used to drive a pickup truck (extended cab, long bed) as a daily driver, it was the easiest way to park at work. The aisles are narrow, and the truck had a gigantic turning radius so it was a multi-point turn to get straight into a spot while pulling forward, but by backing in it allowed me to park straight and centered in the spot in one move just about every time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If they don't scrape while driving straight on a flat road, are they considered a failure?

Also, the guy at about 2:45... that car basically can't turn. At all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I Might Be Adam posted:

Saw this the other day. I don't even...

Looked like a mangled eclipse.

There's a car just like that driving around Tempe. It's done really well, even if it isn't your cup of tea.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

:frogout: that looks like a Rally Fighter:

Pretty sure that's the exact car that I saw leaving a restaurant in Tempe. It's got the AZ plates, and if it wasn't that one, it was one just like it.

Edit: Rally Fighter pricing begins at $99,900 (USD). :stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That poo poo would get towed so damned fast here.

Is it actually legal there?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

There are a few different unmarked DPS cars that work the west side of town on I-10. A maroon mini-van of some kind, a blue Impala, and a brown Ford Flex. Those are the ones that I've actually seen with people pulled over anyway. At least they have full light-setup (other than the lack of a roof-rack), not just a dumb dash light or something, so they don't look too 'iffy' if one were to light you up, and the officers are in full uniform when doing traffic stops.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a shih tzu

Next day reply. Fantastic.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Zoo Miami has Singing Dogs. My ex worked there, and whenever she was giving a behind-the-scenes tour, they'd let us into their enclousure. As it turns out, they're just really good dogges that like pettes.

:3:

The Phoenix Zoo has African Wild Dogs, and Prairie Dogs. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

I doubt that's a genuine Type-R. 5-6k is a little optimistic, rattier ones are at least 9k, but that depends on the market.

Local guy here sold his 2000 Type-R with 75k miles on it last year. He asked $16,500 for it and had no problem selling it. He was the 2nd owner, and had purchased it in late 2000 with 9000 miles on it. Was a really nice car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fyodor posted:

If you lean in close enough you can hear the car whisper faintly: "Kill. Me."

Clearly it is already dead inside.

:rimshot:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Slavvy posted:

The car says maybe but the parking itself says unapologetic rear end in a top hat oval office. Disabled people tend to colour inside the lines.

Not a hard and fast rule by any stretch. There is a sandwich shop I eat lunch at pretty regular, and I've seen a woman with handicapped plates (and she's always wearing a breathing mask) park there to go to the place next door to get a to-go lunch probably 6 or 7 times in the last couple months. Not once has she managed to park even reasonably close to straight, or fully within the super-large handicap spot. Once she was probably at a 15-20 degree angle and completely blocking the handicap ramp that splits the two handicap spaces.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

eyebeem posted:

10 points to whoever guesses closest to the poo poo hole city I found myself in yesterday.

Blythe, El Centro, or maybe Brawley? Although to be fair I have no idea if Californians consider any of those part of Southern California or not.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

All the general guidelines for tire pressure also go right out of the window with race tires. I've had the exact same size tire on the same car need anywhere from 23psi to 48psi when using different manufacturers tires (R compound tires from Hoosier, Khumo, etc., or super-high performance "street" tires like Dunlop Star Specs vs. Bridgestone RE71R).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yeah, my smugmobile will get 45 mpg cruising at 80. If I draft a semi (which normally do 65-70 on interstates) it'll get as high as 65 mpg.

The only things I've found that really puts a dent in economy is freezing temps, hill climbing, and for reasons I haven't been able to figure out, rain.

Rain probably significantly changes your rolling resistance, and slightly increases air resistance due to the water on the car and thicker air due to the humidity?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

Humid air is less dense than dry air! Science! I thought it was thicker until just recently, too, but water vapor is about 2/3 the density of air, so as water vapor displaces air the density drops. Apparently this can even impact take-off speeds for aircraft.

Ok yes, but isn't that moisture going to provide more resistance than dry air (which is what I was trying to say)? Obviously, I could be completely wrong!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

Nope, the density of the air is what generates the resistance. I got into looking at this a while back because I had the thought that high humidity would increase the cooling efficiency of engines, but it turns out the opposite is true because there's less airmass moving over the radiator (even though the water vapor can hold more heat).

Learn something new every day! Thanks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Driving home from work today, had a dude fly in front of me from the car-pool lane in his mini-van (of course he didn't have a passenger), I was doing about 70. Initially I was ticked because he cut way too close, but then I noticed that his right front tire was very very wrong. Like pointed the wrong direction for a guy moving right sort of wrong, and had a massive amount of positive camber too. After he moved in front of me (and slowed down of course) I noticed that the right front was leaving a continuous black mark down the road, and smoking from the surface of the tire. I flashed my lights at him a couple times trying to get his attention, but he was oblivious, and probably wouldn't have had a clue what I was flashing for in any case if he had noticed.

I followed him for quite a while rather than going around to the right, thinking maybe I could get a cool dash-cam video of the tire failing and the inevitable roll-over as the right front collapsed completely, but he eventually moved to the right and slowed down even more, so I lost interest in the potential crash and passed him. As I was going past I noticed that the left front also had severe toe-in, but not nearly as much as the right side, and the camber looked about normal.

He was travelling at 65+ mph this way for another 10 miles or so before I lost sight of him in the mirror, still tooling along in the #2 lane (of 4) on I-10, completely oblivious to the problem as far as I could tell.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

I've had AAA for... hell, probably 20 years now, just as a CYA measure. I think I've used it twice in all that time. Probably could have skipped AAA and come out a few hundred ahead in all that time paying out of pocket.

I'm absolutely in the 'negative' side of the ledger with AAA (but then most people are or they wouldn't be able to stay in business). I keep it for the peace of mind, kind of like why I carry much higher levels of insurance than I'm required to.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The restored bus at the end of that thread is really nice. Guy did a great job on it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That care doesn't look nearly that long either.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bajaha posted:

Just looked this up and :aaaaa:

That's pretty clever actually., wonder how the sidewalls held up in racing.

No idea on the track, but they were very common on some classes in autocross. A couple of local guys used those - they both drove a Lotus in a prepared class, and they were both always very fast.

The tires contact surface wore out without any sidewall issues that I ever saw, but of course those were in the soft autocross compound.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

um excuse me posted:

I'm completely with the "do what you want is your car" crowd right until your vehicle become a hazard to other drivers. Then it's loving stupid. I very much doubt donks have any of the needed improvement required to compensate for anything that putting gigantic wheels on a car does.

I used to work with a guy that was into donks, and was making one himself, and he was completely befuddled when I asked him if he was doing anything in regards to brakes or other upgrades. He simply couldn't comprehend that the wheel size changed anything and I eventually gave up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I just wish (in vain) that all the fuckers that do that stance would take the extra time to figure out how to properly re-aim their headlights.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

If you're gonna take it to that extreme, just do it with lasers and vaporize them.

If I could get a laser that would auto-aim and vaporize the light bars, that would be awesome. Preferably a laser in the non-visible spectrum so they couldn't see why their light bar exploded/melted. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This happened in Seattle:

Mustang convertible v. pole. Driver walked away. :stare: It was a rental.

That driver is the luckiest dude on the planet today. I'd say he should buy some lottery tickets, but I'm pretty sure he burned all of his good luck for the rest of his life right there. Not only to walk away, but not to splatter anyone else either.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

I watched that whole video and did not see anything marvelous.

I think the marvelous part would be the amazing sight of whenever it gets into an accident and becomes a giant cloud of foam bits.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

hedgegnome posted:

I remember seeing this picture a while ago, but something just occurred to me. Is the driver still in there in that picture? He must be, right?

If he installed his harness the same way the roll cage was installed, maybe he was conveniently outside of the car when it came to rest, thus eliminating the 'stuck in upside down car' problem.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I think what was just witnessed was the results of very poor course design decisions.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Maybe his brother is the local undertaker, and he doesn't want people actually surviving crashes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've never cared for the Ridgeline, but it would certainly do anything that I would currently be using a truck for if I had one.

Back when I actually owned a full sized pickup, I also owned a 3100lb race car that was not street legal, the trailer weighed about 1500lbs, and I towed it all over the country with a pile of extra tires and tools in the truck, so I actually used it as a truck!