Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

hitze posted:

Unfortunately?!

Most people, or at least most younger (20s and 30s) people, couldn't care less about cars, and it's just an expensive and tedious necessity for getting from point A to B that in a perfect world they wouldn't have to deal with owning, maintaining, and insuring.

And you know what, even as a huge car/bike guy, I really can't blame them. I love driving, but I hate having to drive. I live in the center of the city so that I don't have to use my car for everything. As a car guy, it really has its benefits as most of my driving is pleasure/recreation driving rather than commuting, sitting in traffic, and driving stoplight to stoplight. I could live without a car fairly easily in the city and neighborhood I'm in, but I don't because I still like cars too much, but many people around me don't own cars.

But most people don't view driving as something that is fun; who the idea of "pleasure driving" is a foreign and uninteresting concept. They own cars because have to, or because it's vastly more convenient than the alternatives. These are the people who get excited about new driving alternatives like wide-scale deployments of the Google Car, or even existing things like zipcar. For them, a car is just a transportation appliance and little more, and the sooner we can remove the human element from it the better.

And for the majority of crap commuting-in-traffic driving, I understand where they're coming from...

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Froderick posted:

Does that hideous Juke-R cost considerably less?

:lol: no it costs considerably more. It's an extremely limited production run (25 units I think?) that each cost €450,000.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, for the handful of rich Arab princes that will buy them, $600,000 is jokin' around money.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah wheel locks are worthless and cause more problems then they solve. I replaced the lock nuts with regular ones on my car the first time I took the wheels off; fortunately I had the key.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Godholio posted:

You can always dress warmer. And get fatter.

Agreed, I'd much rather have cold than heat. You can always put on more layers, but you can only get so naked.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I pretty much had the same reaction. "Looking good... looking good... what the gently caress!" That rear end is straight out of a 12 year old's sketchbook. I hope that 'speculative' rendering is pretty heavy on the speculation.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kill me now posted:

Next we're going to hear people saying that porsche should make the 911 mid engined instead of rear engined.

They should, or at the very least quit hamstringing the Cayman.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

There are a lot of idiots around New England who drive in the rain/fog, in their silver cars, with their lights off. Turn on your loving lights, no I don't care that there's no state law, no I don't care that you think you can see just fine, you're like a loving ghost ship coming out of the mists, turn on your loving lights. This actually goes for most any color, but silver is the worst.

This is a rampant problem in the Northwest as well. Every day I see multiple people driving around in our misty, rainy, flat-light conditions in silver/gray cars without any lights on at all. It's like a cloaking device and it's loving dangerous. All color cars are guilty, but it's especially dangerous with silver/gray cars. Or idiots that only have their DRLs on at dusk/dark - meaning that their tail lamps are not on and their headlights are barely bright enough to be seen more than 30 yards away if its at all misty/rainy/foggy out.

It's even state law that if it's dawn/dusk or raining even a little bit you must have your lights on. I hate people. I partially blame cars with permanently/automatically lit gauge clusters no longer being a retard reminder for "hey dummy turn your lights on".

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 7, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Asking 4500 for it like that :lol::lol:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Probably why I abuse so many substances these days.

If anything, DARE increases substance abuse once kids realize that DARE is full of poo poo and smoking just one single joint isn't going to irreparably ruin your life like DARE said it was going to.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That just seems like so much effort for so little reward. I don't get it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It looks better than a regular Beetle and looks well done. Not something I'd do, but I give it a pass.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I live in Washington and no joke at least 50% of my friends with cars have Subarus. Of my friends that don't have cars, most of them say they would get a Subaru.

Subarus are the "guns and bibles" of the Northwest, and it seems that no amount of blown headgaskets, broken suspensions, or rattletrap interiors will diminish their blind faith in the mighty Pleiades.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Subarus, but they're really disproportionately popular here and a lot of people would probably be better served with a different vehicle for a number of reasons. For every one person I know that really uses their Outback for its intended purpose, I know two more people that rarely leave the city.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 16, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

when in fact they deliberately sped up and tried to close the gap while someone was trying to change lanes. I see it all the time at a particular left turn onto the motorway on my commute. People get over to the left lane almost a kilometer before the turn and absolutely refuse to let anyone in.

God, this kills me and is so stupidly prevalent where I live. People here have this stupid urge to change lanes or merge long, long before necessary.

"My exit isn't for 2 more miles but I have to merge across 3 lanes of traffic RIGHT NOW *slams on brakes with blinker on loving everything up*" It just wouldn't make sense at all to ride it out and find the gaps, or heaven forbid accelerate up to an open gap. No sir!

"Oh, this lane ends in a mile, I better slow down and ungracefully merge now, while backing up the rest of the traffic in both lanes."

Then later...

"Hey gently caress you buddy I prematurely merged over a mile ago, no way I'm going to let you in now that we're at the natural zipper point! *blatantly closes gap, making both lanes come to a stop*"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that's legitimate grounds for divorce in all 50 states.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Voltage posted:

I hope thats a 316i.

You know it is. A lone M-badge on an obviously not-M car universally means "lowest trim possible".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If someone really wants to steal your car they pretty much can and will. All those theft deterrents can be gotten around one way or another even on modern cars.

Locks and such are only there to keep honest people honest, none of that is going to stop a determined criminal. Goes for cars, bikes, houses, everything. The most important thing you can do is have insurance.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If ABS and traction control are getting in the way of your driving on a regular basis, ya'll need some better cars with ABS/TC systems that weren't designed in 1985. Or stop driving on the street at 10/10. Also good tires make a world of difference in keeping the nanny systems in check.

I can drive my E46 pretty hard before the DSC/TC starts "interfering", and I never know the ABS is even there until the rare occasion that I'm glad I had it (e.g. a panic stop in the rain). The ABS doesn't engage until you really are locking the wheels, it will let you brake very nearly on the threshold without interference. Plus if you want to start getting the rear end out, the DSC/TC can be turned down or even completely off at the touch of a button. Or if you do feel that it is misbehaving, like in snow which throws it for a loop. Or on the track.

Even the ABS in my old NA Miata, a vastly less sophisticated system, was pretty non-intrusive on the street. It would activate more often than in the E46, but I also partially attribute that to the Miata being on skinnier tires that weren't as sticky.

Modern performance ABS and TC systems are better and faster than 99%+ of human drivers in almost all conditions. They've got computers monitoring the speed and slip of each individual wheel tens/hundreds of times per second and have the ability to react in milliseconds to each wheel individually. Even if there is a very small gap that a perfect human driver could beat the ABS/TC under perfect conditions, that gap has shrunk to almost nothing and continues to shrink. It's very, very hard to consistently beat a modern ABS system even in a controlled environment, let alone on the street.

VVVVVV Yeah, the ABS and TC systems cropping up on modern bikes is very impressive as well. I kind of wish my Ninja 650 had at least ABS. If/when I upgrade bikes it will probably have ABS. It certainly rains enough around here to justify it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 8, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Courtesy of reddit:

HIDs in fog lamps? Check
Swirl marks out the rear end? Check
Fuzzy dice? Check
Pistol on the hood? Check

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Phone is right. At best it's rationalization of the decisions millenials make in the face of being turbofucked economically, now and for the foreseeable future. A car, the payments and upkeep, and insurance are liabilities they are avoiding, just like home ownership, marriage, and child rearing, because they're terrified they won't be able to afford them. So they make up hipster cool reasoning why those are plusses and not massive life concessions.

Obviously that's not 100% true of everyone in the generation (and if you're posting here you're probably not in that set) but it's certainly the overwhelming trend.

I and my friend group are all mid 20s to early 30s city dwellers, and it's funny how some of my friends who were once vehemently anti-car-ownership changed their stance once they finally found some "real" jobs and could afford one. The unfortunate thing is that it took some of them several years out of school to get anything resembling a "real" job despite their best efforts.

While it is true that living in a city gives you a lot of good alternatives to car ownership, I think it really is that young adults are, in general, economically hosed and just plain can't afford to own, operate, maintain, insure, and fuel a car on top of life's other expenses and it's easier to save face with noble reasons to justify why they don't own a car other than "I'm poor".

Fact of the matter is when you're un/undermployed or only making $12/hour, buying a new car (or even a not-shitbucket used car) is pretty loving low on your priority list when you can just walk/bike/bus for all your urban transportation needs. Hell, I do own a car, but I still walk/bike/bus a lot in the city because a lot of times it is far more convenient/cheaper.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 16, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You know, I think that's actually a big improvement over stock. Though that's not saying much.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

D C posted:

Suzuki Aerio I think

drat, beat me to it. I knew it was a Suzuki something or other but my first guess was Swift or SX4, took me a second to find the Aerio.

http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/5948-suzuki-aerio-awd-7.html

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Long wheelbase is a status symbol there, and there's apparently a market for long wheelbase cars that aren't the top end model.

A lot of well-off people in China have chauffeurs and sit in the back, hence they want the LWB with the more spacious back seats. You don't even have to be super-wealthy, just upperish-class. Labor is cheap in China.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When I had my NA I'd drive around with the top down in cold conditions all the time. The heater on those things is surprisingly powerful, and with a beanie and some gloves it's actually pretty pleasant even in freezing temperatures as long as you aren't on the freeway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I definitely notice about a 2mpg hit when I switch between my winter and summer wheels & tires. My winters are 215 Blizzaks on 16" wheels, my summers are 225F/245R Michelin Pilot SS on 18" wheels. How much of that is bigger wheels vs bigger tires vs stickier tires I don't know but the combined effect is real.

I do definitely drive on the summer tires harder when I can, but the drop is noticeable even just doing the exact same commute in traffic with the same driving manners.

But it's worth it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Oddly enough, my winter setup seems to see better mileage than my summers, even with the lovely fuel we get in winter. But my summers are 235/35/19 vs 195/65/15 for winter. I'm assuming it's because they're drat near half the weight of the summers.

That's what I was implying, my winters get better gas mileage than my summers. They're smaller, narrower tires on smaller wheels.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Throwing large quantities of warm water on frozen things is such a bad idea (or vice versa), I'm amazed it took this long to bite you.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How would turning the defroster on right away crack a windshield? It'll just be blowing cold air until the car warms up anyway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

What tires does the FR-S come with? Some sort of summer tire right? I just saw a moron in an FR-S at Stevens pass who was proper hosed trying to drive/get pushed at the end of a day of skiing during which 8 inches of fresh snow fell on the already snow-covered parking lot, and it was continuing to snow heavily. And the highway was snow covered for like 15-20 miles coming down the mountain.

It just had to be on summer tires because he had zero traction even on pretty evenly packed snow. I also drive a RWD coupe in the snow, but with Blizzaks so it is totally capable. But even all-seasons wouldn't have been this worthless.

I wonder what happened to that dumb guy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I was in western & southern China recently and the driving there was bizarre. Many of the highways are brand new, so the pavement, lane markings, and signage is all in great shape and yet nobody gives a gently caress about any of that. Even calling them "suggestions" would be generous. People just drive wherever the hell they want, park wherever they want, drive with all their lights off at night, etc. 4 lane highways are only 2 lanes because people drive for miles on top of the lane dividers... or 2 lane highways are 4 lanes because why the hell not. Multiple times I saw people driving in reverse on the highway because they missed their exit... or because they just didn't give a gently caress.

Also, to make things worse, due to the rapid development and urbanization of the country the majority of people driving in China have less than 5 years experience and they are driving 1980s-era equivalent vehicles.

Driving almost anywhere in Asia is already an adventure, but China is just amateur hour all over the place.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 12, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

Here's a terrible thing from Renault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaV41zMA60

I...just don't know. It solves a problem with a whole host of other problems, and still doesn't manage to solve the problem.

This is an April Fool's joke that leaked a couple weeks early, right? I can't believe Renault spent the man hours and capital to actually design and engineer this for reals. There's quirky, and then there's full stupid. This is the latter.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Das Volk posted:

The US is really weird about insurance. Unless I get an umbrella policy that covers a lot more than the car, the standard maximums are 250/500 for liability while the minimums will barely cover a minor accident with a nice car.

Yeah, this. State minimums tend to be something stupid low in the like 25-50k range.

Which is why un/underinsured coverage has gotten so loving expensive but is also essential. Even if the assclown that t-bones you is "insured" he might only be insured for 50k and that isn't going go very far when you're driving even a reasonably nice car plus hospital bills.

My un/underinsured coverage basically costs the same as my 250/500 liability coverage. Not only do I have to insure myself, but I have to loving insure every other idiot that might crash into me because the laws (and enforcement) are so lovely. It's such a scam.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 29, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Seventeen nine sixty?

It's an Accord with a BMW badge.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The new Toyota Supra Stuckbro.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Those are Car2Gos.

The urban car sharing company that Daimler founded to use their overstock of lovely Smart cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I am become MustardFacial, the destroyer of cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

What is it with people and motorcycle titles that makes it so much more of a problem with used bikes than with used cars.

I keep all my motorcycle records in the same binder as my car records, it's not that hard.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dissss posted:

It doesn't actually do a lot of damage unless the car has a towbar - my own car will have been hit hundreds of times like that and all the noticeable stuff is clearly from towbars or bullbars

Yeah the several gouges in my rear bumper from plate screws would like to disagree.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Terrible car stuff: the interior of a modern Mini. I drove a Cooper S yesterday and while I found the seat decent and the drivability fine, it was full of awful plastic. It looked like this except LHD:

The interior of the Minis is what ultimately really turns me off of them. Even more so than their bad-by-BMW-standards reliability (and I say that as an owner of a 10 y/o BMW). The exterior has aged reasonably well and I think the Cooper is still a pretty good looking small car (the bigger fatter ones not as much).

My coworker/boss has a manual gen1 Cooper and even as a non-S it's a real fun drive, but man that interior just kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

New GM: same as the old GM.