Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

durty posted:

no rear bumper and bondo'd over.... ok

rotary... ok

hmmmm, whats that on the bonnet

what the gently caress

why?

Light weight, power to weight would be incredible, will go like poo poo off a shovel. you REALLY posted this to the wrong thread, that's one hell of a Dazda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Falkenbok posted:

Someone's overestimated how much parasitic load an alternator produces.

(I know about the noise, still pointless)

No, that's not the case (And the van is awesome, it would go like the proverbial) - in a rotary that has a few kms on it or modified the alternator belt will more often than not have slippage issues (exactly like I have right now with a RX7) - cogged belts or double alternator belts are the fix.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why is this, out of curiosity? Is the crank pulley on the rotary particularly small?

I mean it does seem to be a genuine issue, I just wonder why it seems to affect rotaries so much when most V-belted cars get by just fine with a single V-belt driving the alternator (and sometimes another accessory too).

There's a few reasons, the one that has been mentioned is big revs is true, the V-belt cant handle the rpm even stock rotaries can achieve. The second is the layout is not optimal to get a good tension on the belt, esp with the water pump there in the mix. You usually see most cars running two belts - one for the alternator and the other for the water pump. Rotaries use one for both and thence more load for the belt to cope with and on top of that you have the thermo fan usually attached to the water pump drive.

So you mix that all together and any wear + modifcations that make the engine rev faster/ harder and the stock v-belts slip and burn out in short time. Usual fixes are dual v-belts or a cogged belt. Plus tossing the stock thermo fan (which uses a viscous coupler) and use a electric fan.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sadly, I can remeber fuel being 9 cents a litre and how much my parents hated it when it went up to 19 cents during the oil crisis / fuel strikes of the time.

Even sadder I bought it for my first car at approx 40 cents a litre. Now I think I got a bargin at $1.60 a litre.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DrPain posted:

I feel like the Juke is Nissan's Aztek.

They even went and put the new GT-R engine in it for a sport model. :negative:

Unforgivable.

Unmmmmmm......

They put the ENTIRE driveline in. As much as I think the GTR is a overweight turd, in what universe is a small crossover with 500+hp and GTR AWD not supremely awesome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu_usjjvg-o

Look at the result! How the on earth cant anyone look at this and wonder how hilariously terrifying it would be? The only thing that sucks is the truly absurd price tag.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Froderick posted:

Remind me why* I wouldn't just get a GTR? Does that hideous Juke-R cost considerably less?

*Besides the fact that I couldn't dream of affording it

Simply put, any sane person would look objectively at the GTR and the Juke-R especially with the insane price of the Juke-R and wonder why the gently caress you would think of the Juke.

But looked at from a Automotive Insaity view, the Juke is completely off the dial that makes it awesome. They took a lovely softroader, threw in a GTR driveline - and not only that, they made it work so well that it can be compared to a Porsche without laughter. It's a drunken fevered dream made real and that probably makes it worth the money for the 25 who will buy em.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Rocket Salad posted:

If you're gonna drop six hundred large on a Juke-R, you don't have to worry about money and what cars you could buy with that money instead. You just buy them all.

Yep, exactly. It's a ridiculously expensive batshit insane small crossover for people with ginormous cash slabs that also happens to be by all reports an exceptionally good and unique vehicle. Reduce the price to something halfway sane and every single person here would be all over that poo poo like a hooker for crack.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The crash test ratings changed significantly recently (I think 2010 or 2011) and results prior aren't really comparable to results today.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it still fared well under current specs; I remember an article once where fire departments would train specifically on how to cut people out of Subarus due to the much higher use of high strength steel in their pillars versus other makes.

The first part is true, Subarus are notorious for requiring different techniques. The reason tho isnt steel, it's boron rods.

http://boronextrication.com/2009/10/subaru-ring-shaped-reinforcement-body-structure/

I think crash extraction was basically find somewhere where the boron reinforcement wasnt.

The main change in getting five stars for side impact is that side airbags are mandatory to get five stars, without them you get four no matter how well the car did. Subarus were capable of gaining five on a side impact without side airbags before the change to the ratings - that model without side bags would still easily gain four stars. With sidebags, I'll bet five would be gained.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 14, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Did I stumble into hondatech? What is with all this domestic hate? The Lacrosse assuming you mean the new one is a legitimately very good car that has sold very well and has been perfectly reliable. The 200 may not be the best car in the segment(that's why it's the cheapest) but it's perfectly adequate, reliable transportation and with the 3.6l V6 pretty fast.

I would buy a Sebring in an instant if it was the right price and had the 4 cyl with a manual. Even the 2.7l and the auto weren't too bad in the later years, friend of mine who's not bad with cars has had a couple of them, he keeps the tranny fluid fresh and uses synthetic oil only on the 2.7l engine and has never had a problem.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would even consider a Japanese car at all these days, other than a Prius or RX8 or something like that. American cars are just so much better in every way.

Ummmm.... wow. Gotta be a copy/paste from somewhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

davebo posted:

I sure don't in the D.C. area, but I'm curious about Australia. When I do see cars with hitches they're often aftermarket ones installed below the rear bumper, but I notice that Falcon has it tastefully done below the bumper but above the rear body kit. If they're so common there, do pretty much all dealers just have them as factory options or is it usually after market hitches?

Almost every car maker offers a factory tow bar. The large cars (Falcons and Commodores) are designed to have heavyweight towbars and have bumper cutouts and underbody mount points ready to go. Imported cars usually get a Haymen Reece of varying capacity marked as a factory kit.

Big cars like my Caprice that have the heavyweight tow bars have a Haymen Reece tow bar that is rebranded Holden. Mine has a tow limit of 2300kg or in South Australia 2700 kgs. Apart from the mind blowing ability to drink fuel when climbing it'll handle that kind of weight quite well.

Chewing 5 litres of fuel to climb Victoria Pass gets old pretty quick tho. Last event towing to, the car drained the 80 litre tank in 240 kms.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

This works the other way around too, you know that right? You can't just slap some mud flaps on a car and call it a day

I'm glad someone said this. The WRC cars cost 500K just to get on it's wheels - but then there's the millions in cost in testing and adjusting so each car costs considerably more than it's raw assembly cost. The Juke-R is undeniably far FAR too costly for what it is, but factor in assembly cost and then testing and working out issues ..... I doubt the builders are making much at all, probably even making a loss.

I suppose for the rarity and absolute batshit insane that it is, makes it worth paying the price.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Godholio posted:

Definitely the wrong thread.

Oh gently caress no, this is exactly the right thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

At first I was shocked to see a Holden in the US, then I saw it was LHD. Rebadged GTO?

That's an unusual reversal from the usual Holden rebadged as a Chev we see here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Shimrod posted:

Hey, it doesn't get to 30*C by 8am.

It's more like 5am.

<insert complaint about current heat wave here>

You mean returning to normal - it's been a few years since a true burn your rear end off summer has happened.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress me..... put this in the OP, this is what this thread was made for.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JP Money posted:

"This mustang will go from 0 to 241 KMH ...in 10 seconds." Who the gently caress decided KMH was the best method to report the speed here?

Someone that likes measurements that make sense in civilized countries?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

b0nes posted:

Please God no.

Please Lord YES! I hate the R35 with a passion but this on the other hand is brilliant.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

To be fair, on the driver's side it doesn't look that heinous to have to step over. However, shouldn't there be some kind of bar from the top to the bottom in more of a straight line?

The front legs are going to collapse in an accident, the main hoop is unbraced and will also collapse and I cant continue because holy gently caress that is bad. Literally a cage that is worse than no cage at all (as when it collapses guess what is going to hit your head - the cage with no padding!), any scrutineer worth a drat would throw it out of any event as completely unsafe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

That's basically what I say to myself every single time I see a "mud truck".

Example:

How the gently caress could anyone possibly think this is a good idea?

Thread has quite abruptly truly gone on topic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Devyl posted:

Here is the full story. That's why I will never trust a cage that isn't built by a professional. That's something you don't just put in yourself over the weekend. Unless you're a pro cage builder.

Sad truth mate - half the crap cages ARE built by professional cage makers. That Silva cage that we are all wincing at, that's either a copy or the original actual legit cage made by someone who should know better. poo poo cages come out of pro shops all the time.

Good cages arent about being built by a pro - it's about thinking about it and frankly that's what they dont do too often. A pro builder usually follows rules to the letter or customer instructions / bank balance. They arent sitting down and working out the forces involved or the materials that will suit the job best etc etc etc - an amateur in a garage who actually thinks about the process of buildign a cage will almost certainly come up with a design that works better (That's actually where a lot of innovations come from) and as long as the amateur's fabrications skills are sufficient, it'll be as good or better constructed.

It is a fuckton of work to do it right, a lot of research and planning. It's not something you you lightly, even if you send it to a good professional, who will sit down for a few hours and work out the best design if they are actually good even if they have templates and rules to work with. All that beign said, I would rather not do it all over again, it's truly a big, difficult, time consuming job. What I've seen of UF's fabrication skills, I'd rather just pony up an airfare, a tanker of DMD, a design and pay him 30 an hour cause gently caress that poo poo for a living.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

General_Failure posted:

Ahaha. Here I was thinking how would you get the cage back. I see, bring UF over here. He'd probably make a killing. Actually no probably about it. So many "pros" here do horribly poo poo jobs. If I knew someone around that could do a good job of not loving up a task I'd throw my money at them.

There'as literally two workshops in Sydney I trust to do a job - SWR in Windsor and RallyEquip in OPendle Hill. Every other fuckign workshop has ballsed up the car I've bought into it and I've had to spend more time fixing their fuckups than it saved getting someone else to do the work.

Case in question Pulse Racing dynoed what was my car - I had them do other work. They hosed up the stuts, the suspension AND remounting the turbo - they literally didnt put in the crush washers on the banjo bolts. Guess what happened at the next event? Oil on the exhaust headers. Good thing there was a hose or I'd have one less Subaru at the time. That's seriously basic poo poo that's easy to get right that they utterly failed on.

Or how about having a diff go to pieces because a) some one in Canberra didnt put in a driveshaft clip AND b) didnt put a filter on the diff breather? Dirt in the LSD plates AND a driveshaft fell out!

Frankly gently caress the lot of them. When you pay money you expect a job done right, not a amateur hackfest.

In Canberra I've heard good things about TechWorks (Michael Harding) and the dealings we have had with him have been good. So literally I'm going to take any car I don't have time for 300 kms because no one else in Sydney can do a Subaru to the kind of professional job I expect.

Now if that isnt terrible car stuff, I dont know what is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around this picture. Took the time to mask the brakes so they could spray the wheels when mounted....? Why not just simply... I dunno... spray the wheels away from the car?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mot sure what's wrong there - that's decent work.

It must be a hobby or something. Very good quality work fixing newish shitboxes doesnt gel to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

red19fire posted:

This is the side of a rolling ad for a flower show in Cherry Hill, NJ.

Eh, it's Kreiger's new van.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

For a movie that was so thoroughly panned when it came out and lost so much money at the box office (cost $65m, made back $33m), it's amazing how whenever someone posts a picture of an unpainted vaguely van-shaped vehicle there will be a comment referencing Herkimer Battle Jitneys.

Mystery Men was panned??????? Shows just how bad critics are.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Actually not badly done and the build is fairly decent.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Also, why didn't he just buy a speed3? All of his :rice: sick time attack mods are awful are just as bad as that goon who was cutting speed holes in his civic.

Most of them work and he's clearly modding from the right direction / learning as he goes. He's a Track Day Bro.

Mocking a piece of poo poo is one thing, mocking a guy who has decent mods AND has the right attitude when he fucks something up (Read the build, there's plenty of "Oh gently caress I was an idiot, I'll do it right next time... and he does it right next time). Plus you kow the whole take a slow turd and have fun with it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

Wait... What?

Followed by "..... the gently caress WHY?"

Goddamn, I gotta know the story with that one

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh boy, it just keeps getting better for VW diesel engines :allears:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-audi-idUSKCN10I0PB

Oh holy poo poo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Coydog posted:

Plenty of spare parking in this campus lot, but it's at odds with their desire to also be within 50 ft of the front door. They decided to make their own front row space, so a friend and I obliged by making their spot even more special.

No passive aggressive sticker or card, no car damage..... this is how to correctly respond to idiot parking.

Great work, cant wait to see more :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress THESE THINGS

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SouthsideSaint posted:

These are nothing. you can get to everything you need. try doing these when it requires pulling the axle to get the springs off. The subaru ones are not hard at all. Everyone makes drums to be this rubix cube of brakes and they really aren't.

This is not a good thing to say after the fight I had with them yesterday. You are full of loving poo poo if you think they are nothing... they are dreadful and they need to die in a dumpster fire. Drums loving suck at all loving times.

And just exactly is the cube of brakes because the last I saw discs take about five seconds at worst and I had an hour long swear fest on these pictured pricks

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SouthsideSaint posted:

And I'm sure the first few times you attempted a timing belt it made you crazy. With repeated use its easy. Ask scuz, if he had brought the right parts and not had a destroyed drum. I would have done his rusted drums in an hour.

Timing belts are easy and I've only done two, try again. Spark plugs are easy. I have a whole thread where I'm not complaining about all manner of jobs (like driveshafts, motor out) Those fiddly rear end loving drums are NOT loving straightforward or easy in the slightest even after a dozen previous swearing cars and with the right tools.

Even my GF8's horror PO's wiring is easy compared to drum brakes.

Enjoy your backwards bullshit, I'll have no part of it.

quote:

if he had brought the right parts and not had a destroyed drum

You .... are claiming they are easy and you post THAT? Come on, I was working with 20 year old disc brakes that have almost never been touched and it all yet came apart in a snap.

xzzy posted:

That's not all true, there's at least one situation where dealing with drums is worth the hassle: if they're attached to a gorgeous classic.

I would disc convert anyway because gently caress DRUM BRAKES FOREVER

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Counterpoint: drums are easier to work on than disks in the rust belt of North America. Caliper slides and bolts are always rusted into place and I've run out of fingers to count stuck pistons on two piston calipers. Drums protect the important bits from most of the corrosion and I've never had a problem with them.

No they aren't and I've worked on discs that have been salt sprayed for 15 years and never needed more than WD40 and a bloody big breaker bar. Plus drums do not protect the corrosion. More like they act as perfect salt traps and make it a fuckton worse until the cylinders weld themselves shut, the seals burst and you cant possibly move them and the drum springs just cant move unless they snap and take out your eye... and the backing plates are hosed and oh yeah I can go on.... Water can easily get into drums, that's why they are hopeless after you hit standing water. All that nice water is in the drum and stopping the friction surface from working. A problem discs tend to not have

gently caress DRUMS FOREVER

xzzy posted:

Sorry but wasting an entire afternoon trying to hold a Jenga tower in one piece while getting a spring into its hole is integral to the process of owning a classic. When you're an old grandpa in a retirement home you'll use it to win debates what a badass you were as a youngin and be glad you did it. :colbert:

I drove four wheel drum brakes at full scream down mountain passes, that's enough badass (read : utter stupidity) for me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SouthsideSaint posted:

. I am mearly stating they are not hard to do.

And you would still be wrong, despite your insistence and proof that there is almost not a single job on a car that is worse. There is simply zero reasons to have drums on a car today. Drums are the cats of the car world - assholes for no point.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

Yeah but putting some go fast parts on a four door shitbox doesn't make it a sports car.

Cant make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, but you can make a mighty fast pig.

How the gently caress did they catch him? At those speeds it's usually best to let em run.... and here's something to think about - the police usually do not get you at the fastest speed you are going at. That means that Neon was likely going faster.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

He got popped, cop a few miles away heard the call, and he stopped for the flashy lights.

Powershift posted:

Can't outrun the radio.

Considering it was in bumfuck maine and the dude drives a shitbox like that, they probably radioed him in by his name.

Yeah fair enough. Kid's an idiot, hope he's walking for a long while

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Isn't it just a tarted up Paseo?

Yes, shared a floorpan and other things with the equally wretched Tercel as well.

Scruff McGruff posted:

These pop up every so often on Japanese Classics and they're always so tempting.

A Sera is one of the utter worst pieces of poo poo made in the last 30 years - I wouldn't waste petrol on them to set it on fire frankly. They are appalling pieces of poo poo in every way you can name. A Sera is without a shadow of a doubt one of the best definitions of terrible car stuff I can think of.

quote:

Toyota Sera is way better than an SVX.

How the gently caress can you be that wrong, or more likely, that bad a troll?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Uhhhh... the Chev SS is just a Commodore SS. GM just removed the Commodore bit. Commodore SS has been a thing since.... ummm.... at least the VN Commodore in 1988.

Aint our problem if the Yanks dont recoginse a Commodore's V8 designation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Welcome to the world of British kit cars

Kit cars????? Those arent kit cars at all, they are proper factory Mokes and going by the link Aust built ones too at Leylands Zetland facility.

And absoluty wrong thread for Mokes