Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Oh my god. Between that and the ZDX Acura has totally lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The lesser known Cobalt GT.

Not pictured was huge black plastic "stripes" on the side.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

This is certainly a thing of some sort.

Is that a Tiburon?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saw this in the parking lot of the gas station. The giant spoiler and massive exhaust weren't shocking, but I'm pretty sure this was a dryer vent cut into the hood. It was also duct tapped all around.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

560hp on that loving Civic ahahahahahahahha

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fast & Furious is a conspiracy that the Obama administration intentionally gave guns to Mexcican cartels to drive up gun violence in order to enact tougher gun control laws.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Doctor Zaius posted:

Spotted an interesting repair job on the way back from class.

The auto version of less is more.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I always ask people how low they will take right off the bat. It gives me a gauge if they can negotiate or are a softie. Usually it will drop the price a bit and I can start from there. If it's someone who balks then I appear to be a poor negotiator and it puts me at an advantage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

No, it makes you seem like a douchebag in negotiating, or that you don't understand how negotiations work. And it doesn't put you at an advantage, because then the seller thinks you're not going to bother with negotiating and you end up pissing them off later if/when you actually decide to start to. Pissing off the seller is a horrible tactic if you're trying to buy something.

To be fair most people don't give half a poo poo. Most things I'm buying there are plenty of examples so if someone is upset with dealing with a seller I can just move on. I've yet to have someone refuse a sale.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like it is transforming into a hovercraft.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Negromancer posted:

In the US there was an option TRD SuperCharger for the 1mz v6, which is now pretty sought after for mr2 swaps. This awesome s/c V6 sw20 mr2 is on ebay right now

I need this in my life.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Negromancer posted:

If it was a aw11 with that motor in it I would be buying plane tickets right now.....

You could see if that guy with the Northstar V8 ever did anything with it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

:wtc: seems appropriate here.

Since when did we start allowing non-alphanumeric characters on a license plate? :psyduck:

IIRC you can do the heart, little Texas state, & spaces/dashes/periods. On myplates, the @ is for the heart, and the * for the state. Strangely the only other special character you can type is a % sign, but it backs it out immediately, so it may be used for something else in the future or maybe a government plate.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

surebet posted:

Terrible car thing: I'm in a hospital waiting for imaging and for the last 10 minutes some classy lady has been recounting the accident she caused that killed three people in which she somehow manages to make herself out as the victim because the police officers asked her hard questions.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's laughing this much telling the story because she's nervous and is realizing the rest of the room wants to murder her.

Laughter is a pretty common response when you're under a lot of stress. I've talked to someone who killed a cyclist and they were laughing but you could tell they were really off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The answer is always Miata.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My brain hurts looks at that Cherokee. Feels like the image was stretched.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

keevo posted:

I'm pretty sure this belongs here:

This is absolutely, unequivocally, the wrong thread.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Octopus Magic posted:

Haha yeah man, Nyan cat is the funnies, maybe there'll be the grumpy cat on the hood?! I'll be ROFLing all day long!!!

Fitting custom title. This isn't done to be "the funnies", it's a total lark.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Aren't the DW the summer tires?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Theft is a comprehensive claim in most (all?) US states, and as such, is only covered if you have comprehensive coverage.

Yeah, comprehensive or "other than collision" depending on the state verbiage. If you didn't have it you've just out of luck, unless you can somehow collect civil damages from the party. Most cases like these it'd be like getting blood from a stone though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gotta be a flood car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

They supposedly are, but I don't understand this at all. Is there really nothing in a water-damaged car that can be salvaged? Body panels, wheels, glass?

Depends on the severity I imagine. Some flood cars get cleaned up and resold (don't buy these). Some places may just scrap them all together. Where's the picture from I wonder?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ireland has always had some poor judgement. Like the time he said he had to go home from the national team because his grandma died. When she was found to be alive, he said it was the other grandma...who also was found to be alive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

freelop posted:

Would the insurance company pay up before the culprits were caught?
They might argue the owners were attempting to commit fraud

Fire claims usually require a pretty in depth investigation for that reason.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

I got caught at the red light leaving the parking lot or I wouldn't have gotten any shot at all of it.

I hope you set it on fire afterward. That poor S2000. :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good god that rear rvisibility.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saw one of these in the wild today. Really ugly.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 12, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Craptacular posted:

I'm sure whoever's riding in that thing would prefer to not to need a wheelchair and therefore have the ability to get in and out of a normal car, in order to not offend your automotive sensibilities.

Pretend I said something about handicap folks, instead of commenting on the looks of a van.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can always hold out for the HPD supercharger!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

To be fair all of the German companies do that. Audi has the S-line as well.

VW even has the "R-Line" now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Nothing is better than hearing a real F1 car at full tilt. The sound of a perfectly tuned engine running flat out is a beautiful thing and I sincerely hope it sticks around forever.

It was until this year. :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

I never knew what the RX stood for, interesting.

This is what a rotary should look and sound like :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDL0QqOjmAc

:getin:

I use to have a black on black 91 GXL with a mild porting and some other poo poo. I remember mixing 2-stroke in with the fuel due to some problem with the oiling system. The 'rats nest' was almost certainly improperly removed, so idling was always a game of chance. You would also smell of gas and oil after riding in it for any amount of time..

Holy poo poo do I miss that thing.. To bad almost every FC in Ohio seems to have rusted back into the earth.

I think this is the correct sound.

http://youtu.be/LxAfpiNlxBA

E: loving mobile

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 14, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Call me paranoid, but this is all I can think of when I read the words, "salvage title"

They'll post the 2nd to last picture as the original damage and claim "No idea why insurance totalled it! Their loss is your gain!"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

He really is worse than literally hitler.

This is funny, apparently crooks have figured out that you can remove the headlights on the porsche cayenne without opening the hood, so they have started stealing headlights to sell back to the owners.

I've dealt with a few of these claims. Holy gently caress are they expensive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tobu posted:

I can imagine but give me a number! I replaced the headlights on my r34 at $700AU each (used) and thought it was excessive but I bet Porsche can top it.

IIRC some of the Benz's headlamp assemblies were $6kish a side.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

Oh no, there's a rust hole in the floor. Get the vinyl flooring and my stapler!

How is that the same floor (last pic)?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

I knew I recognized that uniform (and, I think, that tree in the background.) Dude ate poo poo in Dallas less than a day after taking delivery of the car, of course.

I can't find a local news story, but here it is on the wire. Sure, "wet spot on the road."

Edit: nobody died. Is it totaled, or will they rebuild it? I forget how that works on McLarens. Like, a late-model Lotus is a writeoff if you crack the bumper because it costs so much to replace half the body, but doesn't it swing the other way when you get up to the million-dollar retail pricetag, so a top-end Lamborghini/Ferrari/McLaren will be rebuilt from a burnt-out shell?

Semi-related: sort of like that time the Quantas A380 shat a turbine section that drat near cut the wing off, and they paid more than a quarter the retail price of a new one to fix it and maintain their perfect record of "no hull losses in the jet age."

Depending on how severe some of the damage is, often times it can't be safely repairable. If it's Texas and the cost to repair is higher than the ACV of the car it gets branded salvage, which requires a whole lot of hoops (repaired, inspections, etc) to get it re-registered for on the road driving.

Part availability is probably a pretty big concern for these as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VTEC is kneeing in!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

That one looks really cool though.

Looks pretty tacky to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

What? That's clearly the passenger door.

Haha I love this post.