Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

This should be part of driver training and on the written test. Force the car to run away and make them figure out what to do. It surprises me the insurance industry doesn't lobby for better training and stricter test requirements and re-tests. Fewer claims mean more profit right? Insurance is mandatory so it's not like they'll lose business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Aurune posted:

I have no idea what this is, but it looks kind of like a Peel P50 but it has "Electric Vehicle" stickers all over it. It's very "look at me! I'm saving the earth.".

Mind you, I see this car across the street from Coda and a mile down the road from Tesla. So it's not like he didn't have choices.

Hah! The company I work for now was the first and only colorado dealer and distributor for Sparrows. Apparently the first two sold caught on fire and the business relationship went downhill from there. Interesting to see that it's been revived. From what my boss says it was really neat and could have been great for a niche market, especially here in the Denver/Boulder area where there are tons of people willing to look silly to save the earth.

Interestingly the company I work for isn't related in any way to the automotive industry, except that the people who run it are gearheads and also interested in green technology. Our current product is the most green of its kind on the market and more successful every year.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 29, 2012

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I was reading the thought process behind lug bolts vs studs. Apparently lug bolts are less likely to come loose while driving like a lug nut with stud can. Lug bolts are self tightening.

Nah, that's urban legend. I've had un-torqued lug bolts come undone on me. When tightened properly neither will come loose.

The real reason is that it makes the hub assembly cheaper.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cenodoxus posted:

I suspect the best explanation for it is, "herp derp we're high schoolers, parking bad is funny." :hurr:

There's a laundry list of things that young Cenodoxus thought were a laugh riot in high school, but presently I realize they weren't all that funny. TPing, car pranks, etc. Fart jokes haven't made that list quite yet.

Fart jokes never stop being funny. Some of the biblical plagues were probably fart jokes that got lost in translation.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ulfhednar posted:

Found these two on imgur's homepage:

My buddy with giant 4x4 tires has to do this to test emissions. They dyno the cars here and big mud tires don't stay on the rollers or fit in the safety rollers.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Fine, we'll bring the B-52s back, shall we?

Sign says: "Stay away fools!"

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Well let's turn that video into an AI PSA at least. Hey AI: Go make sure you have comprehensive coverage. It's cheap and worth it. Covers break-ins and theft, vandalism, trees falling, sinkholes opening, parking lot hit and runs, etc. Mine adds about $8 a month to my policy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Bucephalus posted:

Ah, one of LloydDobler's shippers.

drat this forum has a long memory. My last bad car delivery was 5 years ago, and I've only had one (good) delivery since. But yeah wtf with that truck.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, in Colorado you get a bond title, which basically means you buy a bond (basically insurance) for the appraised value of the vehicle, and search for the rightful owner. If the owner comes forward at any time within two or three years and makes a claim to it, they get paid for the vehicle, or maybe they get the vehicle back and you get paid, or whatever. After the time period they forfeit their right to it.

I had to do that once just because certain states only issue "salvage certificates" instead of "salvage titles" so legally the car is title-less. The owners had no claim to the car so obviously I had no issues during the bond period but I can imagine it getting ugly if someone sold a car that wasn't theirs and the legal owner was slow (but not too slow) in getting around to getting their vehicle back.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Fun fact: ELO is not an orchestra of electric light, they are a light orchestra that is electric.

Light orchestra meaning small orchestra - as opposed to a full orchestra.

Gah, new page! Um, terrible car stuff... Oh yeah, the tuner who took my money in November of 2012 still can't make my car run right. Very frustrating. I have an update pending for the build thread.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I love the roll bar FOR SAFETY but he has the windshield header extend towards his head, nice and low, with a sharp edge on the bottom set just right to shear the top of his head off if he hits something.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I saw that all the time when my dad and I first started shopping salvage auctions. You'd see a perfect condition Honda civic or accord with the entire interior stripped out, listed as theft recovery. The cops started following auction winners home and that was the end of that. Haven't seen one like that in a while.

Neptr posted:

Registering a car that was salvage / theft recovery isn't easy, you have to document all the parts you use (receipts for everything, with VINs for applicable used parts) and the inspector can reject it for any reason, as in he doesn't like your face. I'm sure it can be done, but "laundering" a car, much less a Ferrari, is a shitload more risky than even boosting it.

I figured cars like that end up in a shipping container going to South America.

That depends entirely on jurisdiction. In some cases it's very easy. In Colorado you just list the parts you replaced, and you can leave certain more difficult parts off the list if you want to be shady. Like last time I swapped the dash the inspector told me you can't keep the car's VIN tag and transfer it to the new part (which I found out later is not true). He made me get a state issued VIN which added time and cost to the process. If I do another one I just won't tell him I swapped it.

I think I've told this story before, but the funniest case of title laundering that my dad (accidentally) got away with was one where a tow company who knew he did Volvos called him up and asked if he wanted a car they towed. Nobody claimed it so they put a lien on it, got a new title and sold it to my dad. It was exactly the kind of car my dad would buy, enough minor damage to total it but still driveable. He also noted it was the same model and color as one he had just bought from auction, so he thought maybe he could use some of the parts to fix whichever one was nicer. He put it in his inventory and when he went to file the paperwork in his cabinet, he found he already had a file with that VIN number.

Turns out it was the exact car he had just bought at auction. Someone stole it off his lot, joyrode it and abandoned it. He had so many cars ahead of it to fix at the time he didn't notice it missing, and the lien process returned a clean title to the tow company. This is because the car was salvaged in another state, and the states don't talk to each other to flag titles like that yet. Once there's a national vehicle database this won't be possible.

It was 100% unintentional but perfectly legal simply due to the current policies and processes of the DMV.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 6, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Uthor posted:

So he bought the same car twice? What did he do once he found out it was originally stolen?

He just fixed it and sold it like he originally planned. Just took a little hit on the profit, but having the title laundered from salvage to clean helped out. Fortunately it also wasn't an expensive car. One of those $1000 at auction, $600 from the tow guy, $2995 retail once fixed kind of cars.

Edit: It wasn't originally stolen, it was lightly damaged but enough to total it. So it went to auction. He bought it, then while he owned it someone stole it from him and abandoned it. Then the tow guy picked it up, got a new title, and sold it back to him, and only after all that did he figure out what happened.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 7, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

kastein posted:

That's a grand cherokee. Specifically, a 99 and later WJ chassis.

And uh, here's the kicker, from the factory they are double shear :v:

Someone did a bad job of swapping those shocks. Probably some idiot 4 wheeler who is defending their dana 35 somewhere at this very moment.

I did some googling on this too, turns out people flip them inboard like that so they don't rub on their meaty phat tires. Some places offer a conversion bracket, others offer a superficial bracket that actually does nothing, but given how common it appears to be I'm sure it actually works just fine unless you do serious high speed bumps.

Darchangel posted:

loving idiot never even slightly turned the steering wheel until he was nearly stopped on the other side of the road. Turn into the skid, moron.

See, that's what I assume, but at the same time I've seen a few dozen videos like this of Mustangs, Vettes, Ferraris and now this BMW breaking traction and completely losing control, and it terrifies me of putting a big motor in my 122, because it makes it appear that breaking traction happens so fast that there's no recovery. But that can't be true, right? Or are there truly unrecoverable traction break situations? Like the ones where they go sideways, lift, and immediately whip the other way. I'm having trouble understanding the physics. Can you just not countersteer fast enough in that case?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I used to work with a woman who had a shirt that said "I drive a mini to compensate for my enormous penis". She was pretty fun.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Powershift posted:

Could you imagine if you told your late 90s ricer self that in 2015 there would be a $25k 6 speed RWD turbo i4 car with independent rear suspension. You'd be in love. Then tell your late 90s ricer self that it's a mustang and he would beat the poo poo out of you.

Don't forget this car would boost to 20 psi stock and have over 300 HP and torques.

A buddy of mine just leased one of these. I asked him what it boosts to and he was like "it says 20. is that good?" He turned his head to find me flipping him off right in his face. Here at altitude the 4 banger has more torque than the GT.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 21, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

I bought a $600 craigslist special 1980 tercel that came with a wink mirror and it owned bones. I'd put one in my supra but don't want to poo poo up the perfect interior.

Wink mirrors were huge in the 80's, every car guy had one. The problem with them is they hinder traffic light visibility, it's like driving with your visor down all the time. If you mount it high enough to not block forward visibility, you can't really see out of the car. On the plus side if you mount it low the rear visibility is freakin awesome. I had one in my first car, with the top off it made driving downtown a breeze. I never accidentally cut anyone off ever, and I didn't have to turn my head for lane changes. I actually have one in my garage, waiting to go in one of my cars maybe. My 122 is a good fit for it because the headroom is huge, I drop the seat low, and the visors are tiny anyway.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

I can't help but love this, despite the spiny horror awaiting the passenger in any sort of accident

Yeah, first thing I wondered was whether the airbag will throw those forward or backward. Either way at some point you have to expect the passenger is getting a face full-o-cactus.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I drove an Echo across Utah at 100mph shadowing a BMW M3 as radar bait. Definitely a fantastic little car for what it was. And roomy, too. My then-girlfriend moved enough to live on from San Diego to Denver in it with room to spare. It was when we broke up that I drove it back.

If I needed a pure cheap driving appliance it'd be on the short list.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Not my fault, the king of the bros PO did it. I've been looking unsuccessfully for a reasonably priced set of stockers. :v:

Don't shop for stock ones, put those up for sale including a trade for stock ones. Seems like something that will sell quick.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Obviously I hosed up and carved up half the wire, I'm not disputing that as I mentioned it in the post. My bigger issue is that there is loving four strings of copper connecting poo poo on an engine wire harness, there's absolutely a reason for them to be thicker considering that the wire from the first connector tore clean off.

Invest in a purpose built wire stripper that doesn't rely on your hand pressure to strip. I bought one and my wiring life got 1000 times easier. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=553398

Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GR...160_SR84%2C160_

Especially with tougher modern teflon based insulation it's much harder to strip wire without a tool like one of these.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

He misspells calm quite often.

I'm imagining "Keep clam and eat crab" or something equally dad-jokey now.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

We all have to go through this at some point to teach us the lesson. Last time I went to a Jiffy Lube was in 1998 where my perfectly maintained Volvo that used a quart every 2500 miles went in, and when it came out it burned a quart every 600 miles, which I found out 600 miles later when the oil light came on. The tech took my intake off to "inspect" the air filter and couldn't figure out how to get it back on. On that generation Volvo they used hose clamps that had little clips that held them a fixed distance away from the end of the hose, and they made it hard to install - I'm 99% sure he dropped a clip into the intake. I ended up replacing the engine and turbo.

Now I'd go double the oil change interval rather than ever consider a quick lube shop again.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You have to use a really close-sized drift to drive a roll pin. Ideally with a very flat nose. A buddy and I had the same problem, he used a screw to try and drive a roll pin out of his transmission linkage, all it did was swell the end so we got it jammed in really badly and we couldn't get to the other side to pound it back.

In my garage I have a set of nice punches in numerous sizes with really flat faces, and I got the same roll pin out in 3 strikes. All it really takes is the right tool.

kastein posted:

You know what else reduces shift throw by 25%?

Cut a couple inches off the lever. Rethread and reinstall knob.

:banjo:

I did that on my car and it really is a cheap rear end but functional mod.

Bajaha posted:

Those pieces of metal on that assembly are there for shift feel correct? Can't seem to figure out what other purpose they have.

Nothing beats the complexity of the VW Jetta/Golf shifter assembly. That one was (still is?) a work of over complicated art.

Exactly, same function as a weighted knob. A lot of people think a nice heavy knob adds a great shift feel, right? Even my Volvo has a big fat weight on the cable that engages the gear, but not the one that goes left to right in neutral.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Even if you forget 9/11, do not forget the Volvo PCV system.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Someone should report them to Rolls Royce, that grille shape is trademarked. Not sure of the exact details but I think it has to do with the angular top and vertical bars. Basically if it looks like a Rolls grille it's a violation.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

On the subject of convertible rollover bars, here's the Volvo ones when they deploy:

The best part of this 1st gen system is they're spring loaded, and you can just reset them by releasing a ratcheting hook and pushing them back down.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

InitialDave posted:

3/9 is three shillings and nine pence. There's twelve pence in a shilling, and twenty shillings in a pound. These happen to align with the coinage that in Latin were denarii, solidi, and librae, which is why pence is abbreviated to d even though S seems to stand for shillings but kind of doesn't.

So, anyway, that is, effectively, 45 pence.

But that's not 45 pence in the way you'd understand it in Britain today, because our ratios are out of whack with the current hundred new (only been around nearly 50 years, after all) pence to a pound. Each shilling is, as shown, a twentieth of a pound, so that's equivalent to five new pence. So three shillings is 15 pence.

The old pennies? Oh, that's simple. Each one is one-twelfth of that five new pence. So we need nine-twelfths (three-quarters) of five new pence, that being 3.75 new pence. But we can't have quarters of pennies, because that's farthings, and we already stopped those even before decimalisation, and the closest you can get is using half new pennies, up until we ditched those too, so let's round it up and call it nine old pence is four new pence.

So 3/9 is 19p. Oh, yeah, we made the logical leap to using p to stand for penny/pence, too.

Incidentally, you can never have one pence. It's penny. 15p is 15 pence. 1p is 1 penny. 15 coins of 1p each is both 15 pence and 15 pennies.

BTW as well as pounds, you got guineas, which were kind of like pounds for people with received pronunciation, and there's 21 shillings to a guinea.

When old people mutter about how "money was better int' old days", this is what they're talking about. :britain:

I'm going to read this out loud to my daughter in a lovely british accent and watch her head explode.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

This thread is 10 years old. Go back and read page 2. AI has always been chill and cooler than the rest of the forums.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

And at the same time, I've driven a car with no front plate (required where I live) for 65,000 miles and never got a cop to notice. So yeah, it comes down to enforcement priority.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

They still have to have a diff right? So they just brake steer it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Worse than the bondo is the obvious patch panel tacked at like one or two spots.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I can't get over how he thought riding the brake wasn't a massive red flag to begin with. I mean, you can't do that in any car, has nothing to do with the horsepower. Brakes are designed to be used intermittently, not as an anti-throttle.

And yeah, turn the loving key. I know it's hard to think in those situations but he was thinking. He tried shifting and it appears he did actually downshift, the RPM goes up. He just didn't hit the next item on the checklist when it didn't work.

Also I went frame by frame and yeah the passenger bounces his neck right off that dash. Fuckin ow. And the steering column completely just disappears, he shoves it off its mounting with his locked arms.

meatpimp posted:

I don't understand.

It's a Jeep.... aaaah I see what you did there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Are you supposed to just carry ducks around in anticipation of liking jeeps?

I mean, I would if it were a Volvo thing. Instead I carry around heater cores.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

My interpretation of that article is that there was some kind of time delay between stopping and enabling the doors electrically to allow them to jump out, and it was far too long for a police vehicle. The article says they use the manual override now in emergencies.

I still don't know how this ever got approved as safe by the DOT, or accepted by customers. I know I go on and on with how much I love Volvos but there are entire articles written about how serious Volvo is about making sure you can get the gently caress out of the car when you need to, in particular after a crash. They put a lot of work in to making sure the doors stay shut through a wreck and then open on command. And I've worked on a lot of wrecked Volvos, and it's very rare that the door doesn't open when you pull the lever.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The problem with it is it's all manual so you have to adjust it before you navigate the terrain. A self leveling setup that auto adjusts even slowly would kick serious rear end. He just needs a nerd to put a motion controller and some feedback sensors on it. I've seen that concept before that is at least partially set up to be automatic.

But yeah what's with the giant visibility blocker? He's hiding mechanism but drat dude put it somewhere else.

Yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQrJ57J9eE&t=173s

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 12, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Here in my part of Oregon our recycling trucks will pick up your used motor oil right off the curb. You just put it out next to the bin, I put it back in the 5 qt jugs I bought it in. So convenient.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Depstech cameras are pretty good bang for the buck, I got a USB one that works with either a phone or laptop. It was only $22 about 5 years ago and it's come in very handy multiple times. I even use it on my house, I've peeked in to walls and such with it.

It came with some snap on accessories that I've lost but the newer accessories screw on to the head and are much better.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Raluek posted:

when you are in a car you are "inside". light from above is wrong and bad and distracting. open the windows if you want a breeze

With a convertible the inside becomes the outside! And it is glorious. Drop tops for life.

Sunroofs are a half-measure. And entirely too noisy for their intended purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want to believe there's no law about egress from rear seats in event of an emergency because the lawmakers know that cars pretty much only have one person in them for the majority of the time they're being driven.

There's no law because until Elon Musk ran a car company there's never been anyone stupid enough to remove emergency exit functionality.