Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Das Volk posted:

I never "got" socal brotrucks. What are they supposed to be for? I understand the whole mudding thing down in the deep south but what's in southern California?

Easy women, same reason most people in the South do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Any vehicle that can't hold for a split second on a hill with partial clutch engagement and no gas is probably too underpowered to be safe...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Yeah, I'm mostly a "remove and replace... with a manual if possible" kind of guy when it comes to autos.

Things that involve black magic: differential R&P setup, auto transmissions, 80s GM tilt steering columns. Soon as I pick up a few more tools I'm going to start learning how to do differential setup, but the others can go to hell...

Diff setup is just a very precise alignment in 3d; the good gear engagement makes sense, once you learn the tricks. Automatic valve bodies? :cthulhu:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

opengl128 posted:

So what happened there? Went off and the exhaust lit up some leaves?

Catalytic converters can get pretty hot, it's very plausible.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
My 2000 TJ, the last time I had a working bluetooth OBDII adapter, appeared to have a working non-idiot temperature gauge, and a slightly buffered oil pressure gauge. Not all vehicles are dumbed-down yet.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The thing about slow cars where I live is that lots of the highway on-ramps are too short for them to merge at highway speed. Trying to squeeze into a busy highway 20mph slower than the slow lane makes a mess.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Not easy to discern is the split-levels on I35 coming back together inside this little stretch and giving you very little time to cross several lanes of traffic to get your loving exit: https://maps.google.com/?ll=29.434608,-98.48578&spn=0.023715,0.046756&t=m&z=16

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

http://www.cavecreekdesigns.com/catalog.php?category=62

Yep. $1200 and you can impale pedestrians too!

Or hack of a few limbs as you sideswipe..

and not automotive, but from the same brilliant minds..

This is poser as fuuuuuuuck, noone down here decorates our poo poo with the fence from the pasture.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Grade 8 Worm Gear Clamps :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

As awful as people recording with their phones held the wrong way is, at least youtube is starting to be smart enough to allow you to play it with your monitor rotated into portrait without bars.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
The worst use of a Jeep ever :negative:

It would have been better to slam it and mall-crawl it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I hate bland, earthy-colored cars not just because they're boring, they're less noticeable when you are checking your blind spots. Little econoboxes shouldn't be the same color as the road :argh: (they should also stay out of people's blind spots but one of these can be fixed at the factory)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

they also think that people going bland for resale value

Cars are not investments and you get the best value driving them to death after paying them off. This poo poo thinking is there to keep people feeding the financiers' with loans.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

drgitlin posted:

If that picture is from the UK then there's no such thing. I was baffled to discover these laws when I moved to the US, it seems ridiculous.

The front of vehicles don't have poo poo for reflectors on them, at least in US market trim; the idea is that you are more likely to see the rear end better on your side of the road with the legally mandated rear reflectors than the front with significantly fewer mandated reflectors.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

When you park in the direction you are driving you can easily see the road from your drivers seat without moving the car thus reducing the danger to overlook traffic. When you park against the driving direction your drivers seat is away from the road and you have to move most of your car onto the road to get a clear view of the road. Thats pretty dangerous. At least thats the best explanation i've heard.

They're both pretty good, it's not like laws are documented as to why they are written.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

That being said, they are still miles ahead of some of the things I see in the States.

Those things are scrapped in the States, for good reason.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

davebo posted:

I was just playing geoguessr.com and came across a shot along the Mexican border to Texas.

That look is still a "thing" down here in South Texas, I see too many cars with tiny stretched tires on poked rims :barf:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Guinness posted:

That just seems like so much effort for so little reward. I don't get it.

Meth.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Plexiwatt posted:

Someone smarter please chime in, but my impression is that torque isn't the issue at all--that car has neither the mass nor the contact patch area with the ground to pull that tree's roots out of the ground.

Well, you have to have a balance of both. All the contact patch and mass in the world won't help if you have really tall gears and keep stalling the engine. Little cars don't have much of either.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
What do people even mean by breaking tables? Are there people browsing SA with IE 6 or something?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
There are things you can put on fenders to make feeling out the curb not grind up wheels:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...img.0b7lWB4qoPQ

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Dude, the Sebring already exists.

:iceburn:

The Sebring is the unholy spawn of people that don't give a poo poo about cars but think "Convertible! ooh oooh oooooh :btroll:"

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

The Murano Crosscab is so close but still so far from being good. I'd love to see a convertible small SUV with actual offroad chops, like the Bronco or the Scout.

(Yes, I love the Wrangler dearly, but I'd love to see some competition in that field.)

Yeah, someone needs to light a fire under the asses of Chrysler/Jeep; the current Wranglers are OK performance-wise, but the interiors are cheap and the drat things are bloated.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

The interiors are cheap for a reason and... you can blame ever-increasing safety regulations for the bloated size of many modern cars.

Cheap to make them resist the rigors of trail riding doesn't make sense, my TJ's interior is dated now but never felt cheap the way the interior of every JK I've seen has. So much lovely molded plastic.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

poo poo. I actually want to see a donk go offroading now.

They could probably do well at Moab :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Sudo Echo posted:

Linked from that Top Gear page, a V12 made out of bones? I'm so confused.

This is pretty :black101:, wrong thread.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Did he lose steering right there?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

The frame is the negative post!

Friends don't let friends blow up batteries, at least not while their face is near the drat thing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Mitchard posted:

I really can't understand how these things are allowed to drive on public roads.

Texas plates :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I love the misinformed rant on battery recycling; automotive batteries are already mostly recycled. The rest of that whine is just about as correct.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I can't decide if this is terrible or awesome but I'm putting it here because the last few pages of this thread have the worst derails.

This is not getting the love it deserves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Wouldn't you just be able to push start the car?

You gotta have the computer on and properly stable, and enough juice to pressurize the fuel injectors. Even if you are driving something carbureted, you still had to have enough juice to energize the inner winding of the alternator or you'd just be pushing it around for nothing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Didn't see the owner, assuming extreme grossness.

It's loving Texas, she's probably a :btroll: and definitely a complete train-wreck upstairs. God drat I want out of here

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Mazda really tweaks their convertibles to allow for top down driving in the winter. The RX7 convertible was the first to have a movable air dam to block back drafts. It works in the rain too, provided you keep moving :getin:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I'd rather split wood by hand than use any of those death traps. Great workout, it'll get you ripped in all the right places. I'd hate to see what happens when you put an old mesquite tree through one of those things, some of those videos showed pretty gnarly kickback on softish looking logs; mesquite will deflect axe heads with ease and probably knock one of those booger-welded axe heads right off.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
A camera capturing your speedo and a view of the front would work better, but could still be thrown out.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1108136

Pictures inside.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take it for free too, romp the poo poo out of it for a while, then part it out, but drat! That thing is loving beat.

I wouldn't drive it at all, the entire roll cage abortion looks rusted out.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I just now noticed that the death cage doesn't have a member going diagonally behind the driver, across the vehicle's width :siren:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
This is available in Texas:

I wonder how long you could have it before it gets retracted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Seats are for passengers; put your cargo on the floor :colbert: