Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hey man they're just trying to clear all the pot smoke out faster :350::hf::getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's gotta be Las Cruces. :staredog:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raw_Beef posted:

Riiight, because adding 45 minutes to a 10 mile trip each way using public transportation is 'practical'.

If your city's only public transport is the bus, having a car is a must.

Depends on the city.

Taking the bus only added a few minutes to my trip downtown when I lived in Denton. I usually walked, biked, or took the bus everywhere when I lived there. However, nothing past 9pm on weeknights, nothing past 5pm on Saturday, nothing whatsoever on Sundays.

When I lived in Dallas, taking the bus to work would have been about a 2.5 hour trip. I should mention it was 1.8 miles each way, but I would have had to take a bus into a neighboring city, then catch another bus to another city, then catch yet another bus. The bus I would have eventually wound up on actually went past my apartment, but didn't stop anywhere nearby - walking was much, much faster. I lived on the Plano/Dallas border and worked in Plano..

Where I'm at now? Nearest bus stop is 4 miles away, and of course, it's run by DART (Dallas), so it would be a 2 hour trip to get anywhere once I got to the bus stop. :smith: But DART at least runs late night service, and full weekend service.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How do you.. I don't even... I mean.. THE loving NAME OF THE CAR IS RIGHT THERE HOW DO YOU gently caress THAT UP

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mighty Horse posted:

Saw this yesterday..

You obviously have some sort of brake light voltage already at the back of the car, since you wired in the trailer lights.....why not just fix the lights that are there already? :psyduck:

If they did that they'd have a choice between working brake lights or working turn signals, thanks to sharing the same bulb.

Replacing the turn signal switch isn't as easy as slapping some trailer lights on and saying WELP THAT'LL DO

Aurune posted:

Vanity plate, check.
Unpainted body repair, check.

Every Elantra I see is always in similar shape. :iiam:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That plate would be a lot more at home on a Volt :hurr:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh God, indeed.

Praise the LORD and pass the ammunition!

Interstate Batteries is a little heavy on the religion too!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Left Ventricle posted:

Duct tape Extension cords fix everything.

I'm pretty sure 1st gen Altimas came with duct tape and extension cords from the factory for just that reason. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

:stare: is that going to charge at idle? What I mean is: don't alternators generally need ~2000RPM to start charging? That pulley ratio is...low. (assuming that's a street car)

When I picked up a rebuilt alternator (Napa Lifetime, if you're curious), I got a nifty chart, almost like a dyno graph, showing how much power it put out at <x> RPM.

At 700, it cranked out 30 amps (100 amp alternator). At 4500 the chart showed 105 amps. The lights only dim at idle if my a/c is running and the fan is on high.

The "need to rev it to get it started" is only if you're running a single wire alternator configuration - and even then once it's started charging, it keeps charging until the field collapses (which won't normally happen until you shut off the engine or it drops to some absurdly low RPM).

Wish I could find that chart again, it was kinda neat. Though there's a sticker showing idle output (amperage+voltage @ 700 RPM) + peak output on the alternator case too. I'll have to remember to grab a picture of it next time I open the hood.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 4, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's the RL version of :saddowns:

That's gotta be either Mexico or Brazil, the US Beetle got killed long before the plastic door handles came around.

e: phone # on the sign has me thinking Brazil?
e2: Brazil confirmed http://sanviimoveis.com.br/

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 4, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

altezzzzzzzzzas on an E250, strange. Do they use the same tail light housings as F150 pickups?

No. The F series lights are narrower. Although, starting with the 10th generation, the F-250 and above received different lights from the F-150 (both front and rear, I believe).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks, I now know what my next plate will be.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

M4rg4r1ne posted:

This supposedly also is driving round St. Louis.

I'll take that too.

Then I'll go troll all the gay clubs that attract the barely legal crowd. In an ice cream truck.

Wow I think I just creeped myself out..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Aurune posted:

I was driving a new Camaro the other day. It was just plain silly. I'm sitting as high as I do in my MINI but my head was in the roof liner and I still couldn't see out the loving thing.

I drove a friend's 08 Civic yesterday, trying to help her chase down "some weird noise after I hit a curb" (turns out wheel bearings don't appreciate curbs, nor do front lips).

I felt like I was 7 feet tall in the drat thing, my head was only a couple of inches from the head liner (I'm 5'7.. not exactly tall). Blind spots galore, numb steering, and a "where's the engine??" feeling when you stomp the gas. Parking it was weird too, with such a short hood. Not quite like parking a Prius I drove awhile back, but still weird.

EightBit posted:

The only thing I liked about my old beater Integra was that I could see everything around me; came at a cost though, even with the a/c blowing 40F you couldn't cool the thing down in South Texas summers.

My 91 Integra had no problem freezing me out of the car, even in Texas. It would get a little muggy if I was sitting in traffic, but as long as the car was moving you could use it as a meat locker.

But it was R-12 when I bought it, and still R-12 when I got rid of it.

My Altima only gets meat locker cold on the highway. <:mad:>

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like someone did an OBD1 conversion, probably to add HonData.

Still ugly as poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

The real fun question here is would it do that at speed if something hit the bottom, and does full bump actually lay the bottom pan on the ground? Instant toboggan mode.

Popular Mechanics seems to think it's actually built on a medium duty truck chassis, diesel and all. If nothing else, it's definitely running on tires meant for a heavy vehicle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd like to see a 7 series carry ~7-10 tons of armored vehicle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

88h88 posted:

How would that even work considering his car would be in motion too thusly removing a huge whack of speed relative to the other car?

Same way radar works on a cop car - either via the speed sensor on the car itself or with a second radar antenna.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, I do love music, and can't imagine living without it.

But I don't announce that fact to the wor... oh wait..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm gonna guess, based on its new home, that "runs and drives" is a lie.

What... what was this?

Spotted but didn't snap a pic while I was at the junkyard - incredibly riced out Civic with an incredibly expensive paint job, only damage I saw was a crack in the front bumper. Paint looked brand new otherwise. Gonna guess maybe it was a theft recovery..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A friend had an oil burning Saturn that her mom bought for her. Her mom kept saying nobody was to ever open the hood except the dealer. Including her. "It's always rattled like that! :downs:" turned into "why won't it start? Oh yeah that light's been on for awhile"

Seized with 65k on it..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

What exactly is it that attracts people to Sebrings?

A family member goes to estate sales here and there. For some reason, she runs across Sebrings really, really often. And keeps asking me if I'd help her fix one up.

They're usually pretty cheap - 1000-1500 for late 90s-early 00s - but one look under the hood of one was enough to tell me I wanted nothing to do with them.

I think I saw more Sebrings than anything else in the domestic section at Pick and Pull yesterday.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

If i'm correct, even the most decked out F250 doesn't sell for $60k USD new, (and keep in mind that 1 AUD = 1 USD), the market difference seems pretty steep.

Wanna put :10bux: on that? :v:

Here's the build sheet.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 26, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

That's incredible. And that's a 5 year loan? Holy poo poo. It's 1.5x my mortgage.

6 year. With a pretty healthy down payment, and of course, that's with spotless credit.

Admittedly, I think the King Ranch may be a Texas-only version. It's basically every luxury option possible rolled up into one package, with a fuckload of fake chrome on top.

Also I'm incredibly jealous of your mortgage payment. My last apartment (600 sq ft 1 bed/1 bath, built in 1984 - fireplace, full size w/d included, microwave, new appliances, etc) in a decent, but not awesome, area, was closer to $700/month. No utilities included. Need a roommate?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 27, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

I appreciate the point of this one, but I still don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDs1sHJLFE

Didn't that car originally belong to a goon as well?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm digging the exposed belts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Who the gently caress is Edwin Josue?

and why the gently caress is he riding my bumper :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nice parking job bro!

Bucephalus posted:

["rear end-riding" joke]

:allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably not. Almost every early 90s Honda can be unlocked with another early 90s Honda key assuming the lock has gotten worn out enough. The hood cables are also reportedly pretty easy to open.

The key to my 96 Civic worked fine on my then-roommate's 90 Integra. Not just the doors, also the ignition and hatch.

Then when I wound up with a 91 Integra, his key worked on mine.. but not vice versa. :iiam:

The hood cable on about every 80s/90s Honda can be accessed by pulling the wheel liner down on the driver's side. I know way, way back in the day, on G2IC (Gen 2 Integra Club), a very common mod was to re-route the hood release cable into the engine bay. They were incredibly easy to get into once the window regulators were a bit worn though, thanks to the frameless windows.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The 85 accord was a great car, and a fantastic looker :colbert:

http://tlaphotography.net/2012/05/15/classy-85-accord/

:aaaaa:

I always liked the 2nd gen Accord for some reason, but I've never, ever seen one in that kind of shape. Even in the early 90s when I first started paying attention to cars.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Limos are generally whatever engine came in that car before it went through the limo conversion. The engine is usually untouched, aside from extending the fuel lines and exhaust.

For a Lincoln Town Car conversion (like that in the picture), it's either the 5.0 V8 or 4.6 V8, depending on the year. In a Mustang, they have a bit more power, and Mustangs are also a lot lighter. The version that went into the Panther platform (Town Car, Crown Victoria, etc) is detuned significantly, and that's a very heavy car to begin with.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 19, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's like a PT Cruiser and some kind of 2 seater smoked a shitload of crack and made a lovechild that was addicted to crack when it was born.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

80s Camaro with tons of overspray: check
Sunglasses that should have been left in the 80s: check
Bad toupee: check
Coonskin hat: :wtf: yup, check
Parking in the middle of a row in a very busy parking lot, blocking multiple cars in, and ignoring people honking/yelling for a solid 5 minutes while texting what had to be either a 16 year old girlfriend easily impressed by yellow cars, or a meth addict girlfriend easily impressed by yellow cars, followed by a laughable 1 wheel burnout when people got really pissed about you blocking them in? check check check

:suspense:

e: :doh: just noticed Davey Crockett was in the passenger seat, I have no idea who was actually driving.. I was taking a nap in my car before my shift at work and got woken up by people honking. :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 28, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meanwhile, hiding in the far corner of a Wal-Mart parking lot..

Not horrible, but still enough to get a :wtc:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Am I missing something? Looks like your standard beater.

A beater don't need 2 parking spots.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

What else got your attention, your thumb or your index finger? I can't quite tell.

:ssh: Look next to the passenger taillight.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

A deer hit me on the way to work today.

No, really....she hit me.

Several years ago I saw a deer running along the side of the road. I stopped, fully expecting it to run out in front of me.

Once I was stopped.. *BAM* :wtc: The drat thing ran head first into my left fender while I was stopped. Fell down, got back up.. *BAM BAM*... fell down again, got back up again, hit it again, rinse repeat a couple of times before it finally ran off.

I laughed my rear end off until I got home and couldn't open my door. Caved the fender in around the door hinges :saddowns:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nathan Explosion posted:

I saw this terrible riced out Civic today. To give him credit the bad body kit is painted and there are two fart cans to fill the bumper cutouts.

The steelies kinda suck but what baffles me is the mirrored gold civic and ex badges. Is he going for the M1 look? Did he find an extra set of badges cheap and threw them on there just for kicks? Is he profoundly stupid? We may never know.

That's an OEM spoiler for a 99-00 Civic, side skirts also look like the stock EX coupe skirts, and those are stock tail lights for a 99-00. Aside from the cutouts, that looks like a stock or near stock bumper too.

All 96-00 Civics came stock with steelies + hubcaps too, unless they opted for alloys at the dealer. And there's not many of them around with pristine hubcaps today.

The badging and exhaust is just loving weird though, if you stacked those fart cans on top of each other they'd be about as big as the D16 under the hood.

I had a 96 EX coupe for a few years in the same color, with the 96-98 version of that spoiler

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 12, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nitrogen posted:

A friend replaced the "clutch" in his Jetta.

I put the word clutch in quotes, because, well:

:stare:

How in the gently caress do you even do that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kotaru posted:

I'm a transplant, non-native. People shiver at 60F around here; Its a strange sight to see so many people in heavy coats when its only 50F outside.

We're still breaking 70 pretty regularly in TX too.

I'm not a transplant, but I :psypop: when I see people bundled up like they're going skiiing when it's 68.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This seems to be a good place for this..