Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Not only that, but they were responding to a medical emergency inside their own store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My USDM petrol car gets less than 1/2 of that.

Said car is much smaller, much newer, a bit lighter, and has a gasoline engine that's significantly smaller.. and gets less than 1/2 of the MPG.

:smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can't tell which end is the front :psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

We're all proud to bean, dude.. Like Some Texas Redneck.

:psyduck::hf::iiam:

Man... I don't know what the gently caress you just said, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart.

If you recognize that quote, then TCC is leaking again

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Faerunner posted:

We're Plus members, and they told us in no uncertain terms that they will absolutely not do RVs or motorcycles, just cars and personally owned trucks smaller than a box truck.

This varies from region to region with AAA.

For example - taken from http://www.texas.aaa.com/en-tx/become-member/pages/benefit-comparison.aspx

e;f;b :argh: Kill-9.

My card does say "Plus RV" though:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 12, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was a bit late to the thread, it appears. :suicide:

Still, good to know about Foremost. I'd like to eventually own an RV, and it looks like they have a pretty drat wide array of options, including "living in your RV full time?" type policies.

I'm a little surprised to see that they're owned by Farmers though, the last agent I had at Farmers seemed to only handle auto, home, and life.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 12, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's an "RV Park" that's really more 70s/80s mobile homes and very-broken-not-so-mobile RVs near the house, I pass by it pretty regularly and occasionally through it. I know exactly what you're talking about.. :smith: Whenever I purchase an RV, a very very quiet Honda or Yamaha inverter generator would be purchased at the same time for the sole purpose of avoiding the "RV Parks". Maybe a decently sized battery bank and solar panels instead of the generator. I don't care that much about TV or microwave ovens, but I do care about a cold fridge and a way to power my laptop + charge my phone.

Whenever I finally do purchase an RV, it would be a relatively small one - if it can fit a small fridge, stove, couch, and bicycle, I'm happy.

When I go on any trip, I tend to take the extra scenic route anyway. My order of preference for any trip is drive -> train -> plane - driving gives me the most opportunity to take the back roads and really enjoy the drive, and plenty of times to bust out the camera. Amtrak has overnight layovers in San Antonio whenever I go visit family in my hometown, which allows me to spend entirely too much money/get shitfaced in downtown SA, and I always wind up meeting new/interesting/creepy/WTF people. Flying is incredibly unpleasant for me - I don't like strangers digging through my poo poo, and I don't like the "OMFG loving HURRY UP YOU ASSHOLES!" mentality. And I tend to travel with a little :420: anyway, that doesn't go over very well with the TSA

I will say, last time I was on Amtrak, nobody checked my ticket except when I checked my luggage. I walked right onto the train, rode the train, got home, and got my luggage by showing my ID... all without a single person looking at my ticket. :iiam:

tl;dr I like to stop and smell the flowers and I hate being rushed or in a hurry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 12, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

delpheye posted:

When I read this, I picture northbound 75 in Plano.

Nailed it, if you mean just before Spring Creek.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Ranger and Explorer were pickup truck trim levels in the 70s.

Early 80s too - had a 1980 F-150 Ranger XLT in high school.

Wikipedia posted:

Custom- Mainly Base model with manual locks/windows, vinyl seat, and black rubber floor mat,but could be had with other options.
Ranger- Intermediate trim that added a color-keyed floor mat, chrome trim on the door panels,and woodtone dash trim.
Ranger XLT- A step up from the Ranger that added better seat trim, a color-keyed headliner, color-keyed carpeting, aluminum tailgate trim and optional power windows/locks.
Ranger Lariat- a step above the XLT that added a plusher interior,and Woodgrain Trim on the door panels.It also featured special "Lariat" emblems on the cab,as well as Ranger Lariat script above the radio.
Explorer- a limited edition options and trim group with year-specific stripes unique to the Explorer. Was combined with one of the other trim levels.[2]

I always thought the trim on the tailgate was gaudy as poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

Seconding this. I had it happen on my '67 Cadillac Deville convertible at 45MPH & it wasn't pretty.

Happened on my 91 Integra around 70 mph. Not fun at all... in fact, very much a pants-making GBS threads moment.

Less fun was the attention I got from cops after replacing the hood, before replacing the windshield. The new hood (black vs maroon) made it stand out even more, and the windshield didn't help. Nothing like getting pulled over at 8am and handcuffed with the cop claiming "there was a robbery a mile away and they were driving a car that matched yours" (I'd hope a robber would have more sense than to drive a 3 color integra that belched clouds of blue smoke)..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry for the blurry, it was dark, but..

No, the perspective isn't off - I could have almost driven my car under that... thing. Just wish I'd been there to see how the driver got in/out. :stonk: I could have walked under it without bending over very far.. :clint:

There's a pretty awesome Rolls Royce that pops up in our lot twice a week though. :swoon: I'll try and snag a picture for the not-terrible thread next time I see it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 23, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

delpheye posted:

That looks like Preston and Belt Line. Is the mystery RR black with a vanity plate?

:tinfoil: I always forget how many goons are in DFW. I'm impressed that you ID'd the intersection from one very blurry/dark photo of a parking lot..

I didn't pay attention to the plate, but yeah, it's black.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:argh: I HATE delivering to those apartments. Not that the apartments are bad, but their little "we'll give 2 buildings one address, 5 buildings another address, 1 building a different address, and oh hey this building over here gets an address that doesn't make any sense" poo poo gets old in a hurry.

Not really creepy (okay maybe a little :v: ), just really surprising that someone nailed the intersection based on a bad photo of a shopping strip parking lot.

I doubt I'll see the RR today, with the slushy roads and all. I'll try and grab a photo next time I see it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spotted at a red light today... :doh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 5, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress.

I smoked entirely too much :420: last night. :downsgun: That would certainly explain why it was already in my imgur gallery..

Faerunner posted:

Have you been drinking?

That's something I'd expect Drunk STR to do, not Sober STR. But no, no alcohol today (yet)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 5, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How do you even let a car get into that kind of shape :gonk: especially a ~2003 Civic..

e: on second thought, it was in the back of a ... not so desirable apartment complex, with low tires and a lot of battle scars.. I'm gonna go with "stolen for a joyride, repaired, stolen again, then ditched" or "abandoned".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 7, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Texas does not have any "headlights on when raining" laws because :freep: and seriously 25% of drivers don't bother with turning on lights when they are driving their silver cars on the misty rainy days.

:eng101: But Texas DOES have a "if you have to use your wipers, you have to turn on your lights" law.. and parking lights without headlights was, at least at one point, a bit illegal here.

or at least, this is how it was when I took drivers ed .. in 1994. :arghfist::corsair:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 8, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

grover posted:

Only one of my cars is silver! The other is gray :( My headlights are on all the time

Not only do I always drive with my lights on (in my titanium gray Altima), I also robbed a junkyard Cadillac of its horns (the noisy kind, you jerks). The horns make it sound more like a train is about to run your rear end over, and... about 1/4 of the people actually respond by swerving their Suburban back into their lane, instead of 0/4.

In the past year: Sideswiped 3 times, all hit and run (once while parked). One had video evidence from a dashcam, cops still refused to even come out to take a report... :arghfist::suicide: We won't discuss the flat spots on my tires. I really should just stop nailing the brakes when people pull out in front of me/try to sideswipe me/whatever, I should just bump up their insurance rates; I've had whiplash before, it's not the end of the world.. :v:

In short, gently caress Texas, and gently caress the Texas SUV/pickup/kastein's 5 ton truck for personal transportation culture.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Apparently someone was working on their car in the inside breakdown lane on I17 during evening rush hour. (Phoenix goons: I avoid the 17 like the plague, is there even an inside breakdown lane there?)

It got plowed into by a fullsize truck.

Also known as "how to be turned into ground beef instantly". :gonk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible license plate, anyway?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not shown: very very poor bodywork on the front clip, complete with cockeyed headlights and a hood that doesn't line up at all.

Also, every wheel had a vinyl die-cut sticker of the same logo that's on the back window.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sudo Echo posted:

I love these meta airbrush drawings with the truck they are on in them.

He's apparently from the Weatherford area (judging by the license plate frame), there's your answer. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hey now if your dash pad is cracked in multiple places, a dash rug is a good way to cover it up. :colbert:

... until you pop the passenger side air bag in an accident :v:

I had one of them in my F-150, but the dash had a huge hole in it right in the middle... dash had pinholes in it so that a mono speaker could be mounted under it, that poo poo fell right apart

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Linedance posted:

what, people riding in a pickup bed?

That's pretty much an everyday occurrence down here, if that's what he was pointing out.

For content:

Apparently you can now do Segway tours in downtown.

The Hummer is pretty terrible too. So is my leaving the camera on ISO 6400 :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Every photolab you'll run into these days is fully digital - they'll be able to do a CD for an extra fee.

Walgreens is usually cheaper than most other places except for WalMart (when you can find a WalMart that still does film), and Walgreens generally turns out better quality.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fire Storm posted:

I think they have been around since 2003 and at least since 2006, based on the past couple of times I've visited DC.

Does downtown Dallas really look that much like DC? :confused:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JP Money posted:

If you showed me that pic with no background info I probably wouldn't ever imagine that'd be Dallas to be fair.

We don't all drive F-350s and ride horses :clint:

Fair enough, there's nothing that overtly screams DALLAS (or for that matter, Texas) in it, unless you look at the phone # on the Hummerlimo and notice the 214 area code.

But Fire Storm mentioned DC, and drgitlin said the tours had been around awhile (and he/she has a very DC-centric post history).

I honestly have no idea how long the Segway tours have been around in Dallas, I don't make it downtown very often.

This is the general area I was in when I took the photo - I guess it could pass for "generic big city downtown area".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 31, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DFW averages about 35 inches of rain per year, it's not exactly a barren wasteland like west Texas. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:wtc: seems oddly appropriate.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm pretty sure I met the owner too, unless he drives the other Accord in that picture.

Good tip, really nice guy when I talked to him; the only reason I suspect it may have been his is he was wearing a t-shirt from a very religious private university (said university is still in Texas). If it wasn't his car, then he owned the white 98-02 Accord in that photo - those were the only two cars parked anywhere near that building, and he mentioned he does delivery off and on... so car = necessary.

Also, the roof, hood, and trunk lid were also covered in random YAY JESUS stuff. The "Keep Austin Weird" sticker threw me off more than a bit though, you really don't see that often outside of Austin - and I've never seen it attached to a car covered in religion.

Downtown Austin is about 3 hours south of Downtown Dallas, I spotted this at the very far northern end of Dallas, so about 3.5 to 4 hours north of Auatin

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 5, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

Ask him why he was too lazy to EVER put a single coat of wax on the car. I just cannot grasp how people can spend thousands of dollars on a car then never ever ever do anything to maintain it.

To be fair, it's hot as hell here, and 90s Hondas weren't known for great paint.

Kill-9 posted:

The painting a shitbox with random stuff is totally an Austin thing. Usually it's not religious stuff though. They're definitely an Austin transplant.

Also, Book People is an awesome book store. I can spend hours and way too much money there. If I need a book I'll make the drive downtown for that place.

You see it some in Denton as well. Not so much in Dallas.

And downtown Denton has an equally awesome book store.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

90s Hondas with that green color just start to disintegrate after so many years in the sun. The clear coat turns to powder.

I have a friend who has one and the paint is simply awful, and I know she kept it clean and waxed until it got to the point where waxing and buffing was just taking more clear coat off. The car looks like poo poo now but still drives like a champ.

A friend of mine bought that same generation Accord brand new (I want to say his is a 94 or 95). 5 speed, EX, leather. He still has it, and despite meticulous care... the paint looks exactly how you describe. Interior still looks new, and he only has a bit over 100k on it now, so it's just barely broken in.

The 98-02 Accords also had issue with clearcoat on the green cars - and black, as well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

V6, even, judging by the sound.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

I hate to think of what he pays for insurance now..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

General_Failure posted:

I don't think he does now. Feet don't need insuring. I love how it got the characteristic arching in the middle on impact.

This should be mandatory for all Fords straight after production. It'll force them to make durable vehicles.

The Raptor is a pretty drat good truck. But like Motronic said, a lot of people think ":haw: I paid for a super badass truck, it can do anything! Hey I know I'll go jump some dunes doing 60 HEY HOLD MY BEER FOR A MINUTE OK?"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I just puked in my mouth a bit, you jerk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

"I dunno, man. The bass is a bit lean."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmB-ImzZT94

:stare:

I was hoping to at least see ear plugs.

Nope.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's one hell of an impact, but I'm really impressed that the cabin looks relatively unscathed (aside from airbags + broken windshield).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:effort: