Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Iridium posted:

This included a really large edition of said logo on the tracked APC that the sheriff at the time decided to blow money on.

When Homeland Security is giving you money to stop the terrorists, you hot to spend it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Polymerized Cum posted:

I kept a cheapie Armitron watch strapped onto my triple tree when I had a bike. It was easier than taking my cell phone out to check the time.

But two? That's just insansanity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

while on the subject, my area's full of these signs.

Do...do I have to? :ohdear:

There's a "Deaf Child Area" sign in the neighborhood. I sometimes wonder how they corral all the deaf children there.

The sign has also been there for 30 years, so I doubt the child is a child anymore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was followed by a Prius with "eyelashes" today. Haven't seen this before.

(not my picture)

When looking for an image online, I found something even worse.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If I see issues up ahead, I tap the brakes repeatedly to make them flash a few times as a warning that, hey, I'm going to stop soon. That seems to work well and something I picked up when riding a motorcycle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

JaysonAych posted:

Also, I once had a first-gen Chrysler Concorde slowly catch up to me while I was going 5 over on another 2-lane, and then he perched directly off my rear bumper, so close that I couldn't see any part of the grille or headlights. Despite numerous passing lanes for miles, he stayed right there until finally deciding to pass me.

I've had cops do that to me at night on lonely country roads...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I think you're confusing rice rockets with murdercycles

This is the only murdercycle I know of.
http://youtu.be/ZuQfzmyS4-A

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It was such a mass gathering of single people with 3 roommates and everyone with a car that by 6:30 at night the entire complex would be filled and you would have to street park sometimes 1/2 mile away! So glad to be done with that nonsense.

I lived in a place kinda like that, but I was working 3rd shift, so everyone would be gone when I got home and I had plenty of choice.

The worst was the one time someone decided to leave their running car stopped right behind my car as I was leaving for work. Ended up knocking on doors at midnight to find the person so they could move it. There was an open spot two spots over from me!

This was also the same apartment complex where someone parked a car with four flat tires in the premium spot at the end, filled it to the brim with crap, and left it there for months...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

cormorant posted:

I kinda feel like I really want to drive an oscar meyer weiner truck once in my life.

Fact: Weinermobile can "baby" the really well.
http://jalopnik.com/oscar-mayer-wienermobile-will-it-baby-1056967001
(I really like the "Will It Baby" Jalopnik series.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Speaking of terrible cars, about what year did Hyundai go from being a bad idea to a good value?

Early to mid 2000's.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I sometimes have dreams where the footwell is way too small and my feet either keep getting stuck or keep mashing all the pedals at once and I have no way to get the car going or to stop it once it moves.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My brother-in-law's SUV. It was in the driveway before my sister's friend decided to drive over drunk.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

"I just blue myself"

What's going on with that head unit? Is it just floating there like magic?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kastein posted:

Also, he writes posts like this, so you know he's a winner:

All misspellings his.

Is he writing "Jeep rear end" instead of jackass? I'm not sure if that's clever or stupid. (would probably lean toward stupid if I saw it as often as I see M$ or stealership)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

rscott posted:

Just imagine what those googily eyes look like going down the road, bouncing everywhere

They're G meters used to tell how fast you are going around a corner.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Looks like dazzle camouflage.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I see "4MEN&MOM"

edit, thought 8 instead of & makes more sense...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Linedance posted:

If I saw that I don't think I could resist swapping the S and T at the end of that badge.

I was thinking adding some truck nuts...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I didn't get a picture, but I passed an SUV the other day where, instead of the family stick figure stickers, had five Apple logos, two big and three small.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Midniter posted:

I don't even...

Was there some sort of blacklight line of paint on the pavement invisible to the naked eye that only I couldn't see? Is that first car proud for starting a trend and seeing who could park the worst?

Angled spaces confuse people, for some reason. I figure one of two things happened. Either cars on the other side pulled too far forward and these people did the best they could, or they just lined their doors up with the person next to them not realizing you're supposed to pull further forward.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Godholio posted:

Looks like most of my Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars by the time I was old enough to stop playing with them.

Wait, STOP playing with them???

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What does ND use, then???

The worst salt use I've seen was two trucks going side by side up a dry hill in above freezing temperatures at least 24 hours before the forecast called for snow.

I think this town has gotten over zealous after a blizzard came through a few years ago, they called on all the independent snow plow drivers to help, then stiffed them all when it came time to pay. The next year a big storm hit, no one helped the city, and we were stuck driving over packed snow on the roads for weeks while every other county managed to clear the roads within 48 hours.

Now? Preemptive saltings. Woo!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That is pretty "ill"...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There's no snow in the forecast. :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It looks like it got its underwear pulled over its head.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

anonumos posted:

If it ever snows in Florida, I'm staying home.

I have a friend that moved around as a kid. After living in MN, he moved to FL. His mom would go to the nearest hill and watch drivers whenever the temperature dipped/it snowed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Those actually were tied down to begin with, but in seas like that, nothing is going to hold anything down. You can see cables scattered around the deck, and still attached to the car you see at the very beginning.

You get one rear end in a top hat car breaking free and ramming into everything else, then another one breaks free, then another; next thing you know you've got cars turning into submarines.

From what I read about that video, they used a single cable to tie down a row of cars. So, it's more of a single cable breaking and a dozen cars going over.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

My driver rear tire looks the same as this. When I try to move it, it makes a terrible grinding sound. It was fine last night, now suddenly it's hosed up. So, so long 98 lumina. We had some good times.

How the hell can the car in the picture be drivable?

Had a car like that parked in the premium spot at my old apartment (spot on the end that was 1.5 spaces wide and perfect for my car and bike instead of taking up two regular spots) for months on end. I think 3 of the wheels were flat and the windows were taped shut. I really regret not bitching about it to the landlord.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

You are right that others mistakenly thought you were talking about everyone.

However, given how many hours you spend commuting, it could be said that you would benefit from speeding due to the fact that that large amount of time can be meaningfully changed by a small percentage change. 390 * 1% = 39 hours you could save per year. That's a work week. It might be 2 minutes a day, but add that up over a career and you start to see where moments of your life can evaporate unnoticed.

There used to be a broken light on my way home that I would sit at for two minutes every day. Long enough to figure out how many hours of my life I wasted there. Just sitting. Looking at that red.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I once found and open car wash in below freezing temperatures. Wasn't a good idea. It was a lovely automatic wash and I had a car glazed in ice for a couple of days.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rolling his fender?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

neckbeard posted:

I went to go price one out on Nissan's site to see just how expensive they could get with all the options/accessories ($46K) and found that this is an accessory that Nissan offers on most of their SUVs

I hate the stereotype of Americans being all fatasses, but goddammit...

Huh, I could actually see that being useful for regular sized people. We've crammed three adults in the back of my parents' Forester and there is always much cursing and twisting trying to find the slots for the seat belts. They're embedded in the seat some (so they fold flat when not in use) and are difficult to reach if you need to squeeze past another person's hip.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Does your car have a turbo? Can you silence the exhaust, but stick a big rear end blow off valve on it? .

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 4, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

Well that's why they have "incidents per X number of people" statistics. In terms of road deaths I think China is actually right in the middle of the pack worldwide.

Do they count incidents versus the total population? Because I'd bet a whole hell a lot of people don't drive cars in China, which would lower the average. And that's why I generally see incidents per mile driven.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Niven posted:

How mad were the people that managed to dodge the madman driving the wrong way down the highway towards them, only to have the police throw spike strips directly in front of their cars.

Also what's with all the unlocked doors? Just about every car I've driven in the last ~10 years auto locks the doors above ~5 kph, is this not a thing in the US?

My car from 07 does, but I turned it off. It's a manual, so the doors only unlock when you shut off the engine, which I found really annoying when I would go pick people up (kept forgetting to manually unlock). My sister's 09 mazda doesn't have this feature. Neither does my parents '11 Subaru.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

You don't have to have an exclusive relationship with a manufacturer to do it. After all, used car lots are a thing.

I would totally love a "hot hatch new car lot" with nothing by hatches to choose from.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Followed a black Nissan Cube with the license plate "ICE KUBE" today. I would not have thought it terrible at all if the car at least had blue paint. I'm still not perfectly sure that it's terrible in the first place.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I went looking for info on some Cavalier boards once. All Lambo doors, all the time. Almost no info about the code my CEL was spitting out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That reminds me of the black Scion xB near the folks with a silver mural of Spider-Man swinging over the Chicago skyline on both sides. I actually like that one, though. I mean, it's gaudy, but the black and silver look good together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The oil change on my Vulcan 500 was dead simple (filter front and center, drain right in the middle, easy to reach), though I always did it on a cold engine, so the headers weren't a worry.

The coolant drain, however, was about an inch above the exhaust. There was no way to drain the coolant without it getting all over the pipe other than taking the exhaust off (no way). And it was angled forward, so it would shoot out horizontally at first, then just dribble out at the end, so you had to keep your eye on it or it would miss the drain pan.