Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Oh god, I don't see that going well at all.

There's a reason why zebras were never domesticated, and that reason is because they have a very strong fight or flight reflex due to all the big nasty predators they're adapted to dealing with on the savanna are assholes who will buck you off then kick you to death. Also they have no whithers so I bet their gait is like a jackhammer.

I really hate people who think that just because a wild animal resembles a domestic one they must be the same thing. Wolves are not dogs, and zebras are not ponies.

Maybe some person who is really experienced with handling and training wild burros will take pity on the zebra, but something makes me doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Jenner posted:

/\/\/\

Bichons can get somewhat largeish, right? I've heard urban myths about hawks and eagles plucking up small dogs in suburban areas... I wonder if that's what happened here.

Bischons are a bit on the large size for that, at least as adults. A great horned owl could probably kill one, but it would be unlikely to be able to carry it off. Adult bichon frises weigh 10-20 lbs, which is as much or more than most eagles, let alone the carrying weight of most birds of prey. I doubt a hawk would even try, and most eagles would be too lazy. The main species of bird of prey to worry about in North America is the great horned owl because they have no problem eating other predators and will definitely prey on cats. Still, you have the size issue unless that was a young puppy.

That said, the coyotes in my neighborhood have no problem climbing a size foot tall fence, all they need is a bit of a running start and some parkour-type moves. My neighbor had some distinctly canine paw prints near the top of the back of their six foot tall security fence, which faced a stream area. It's possible that a dog put it there, but it's more likely to be a coyote.

Another option is that their yard was simply not a secure as they thought it was, it wouldn't take much of a hole for a small dog to escape, and once it's out it's likely to be picked up by someone who would keep it for themselves, if it didn't get hit by a car.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Ok so I want this dog and I found some puppies that I am interested in too!

Wow! Pretty cool deal eh, $450 for some puppy accessories and then a free puppy?! Maybe I'll just buy the stuff and pass on the free dog.

A corgi x husky would be pretty darn cute, its a good thing they didn't post pictures :ohdear: Bybs are lovely but... those stubby little rear end in a top hat puppies would be too cute for me.

For $450 from a byb the puppy better be altered and up to date on all its shots, but of course, knowing those guys, they aren't.

Oh hey, anyone want a free horse?

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/pet/3471538343.html

quote:

Free registered arabian horse, she is 17 years old, very well broke to ride, suitable for an advancerd beginner as a step up horse or for an intermediate rider. She will make an excellent 4H horse. Her front heels are lsightly contracted. With two trims she is doing loads better, it should only take one or two more trims to be fixed completely. She needs a stall, no pasture. She has a tendency to founder on green grass but will do fine in a dry lot. Email with any questions!

Any bets on whether a kill buyer picks her up?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Ears posted:

UGH

He is only 8 months old and already has a saddle on his back.
Dollars to donuts, someone has been in that saddle and they've already ruined this poor foal's legs.

It is important to teach foals manners, but they still need time to be babies. To develop physically and mentally - to learn how to be horses.

Especially draft horses who mature a bit slower.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/3465750285.html

Draft horses get big fast, that means they can be ridden earlier. :downs:

(and the answer is No, No they cannot be ridden earlier. Their joints and back are still developing!)

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I've seen the result of a boxer and lhasa apso. Love will find a way :3:

Edit for content. Well, here's a thing.

quote:

My border collie lab mix puppy Leila was stolen Dec.2nd. She was taken from her crate that was outside while I was doing chores. The Oregon Humane Society recieved my dog later that day and didn't call any vets offices to see if someone was missing an obviously cared for and loved puppy. She was adopted the 4th of Dec. I've asked them to give me my dog back several times, because it's in their power to do so, but they refuse to. She answers to Leila, "Leelee", and "Leelee puppy". The OHS renamed her "Lara May". She weighs about 50lbs. and has a small white spot on her chest and chin, with a few strands of white on her legs and flanks. She's 7 months old and is about the size of a fully grown border collie. If you suspect you see her say either of her nicknames and she'll react in a joyful butt wiggling way. There is a reward for anyone who finds her or helps me find her. Please call or email me at XXXXXXXXXX anytime with leads, and not rants on why to get her microchiped. AND TO YOU FLAGGERS,GET A LIFE!!!!!!! I'm trying to get my dog back who was taken from me by cruel hearted people and the OHS who didn't obey the protocol in adopting out animals by evaluating her for a longer time then two days.

Which makes me wonder, A) why was her dog crated outside while she was doing chores and B) why didn't she contact OHS herself when her dog went missing?

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 16, 2012

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This guy has spent the last several months getting a stockpile of reptiles, rodents and, I believe, birds. At one point he was advertising that he was caring for 80+ animals in his home every day (this was weeks ago and I can only assume there's lots more). The ASPCA will do nothing because there are no laws regarding the limit of non-dogs/cats/livestock you can have on your property at any one time, and all the animals have food and water when they've checked.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nemos-furry-and-exotics/541817559179685?ref=stream is his facebook (which I will happily remove if POK or khelmar or whomever wants it off). He says his house is a 'petting zoo'.

I'm not all "oh you have too many animals" at people if it's all healthy, but the guy seems kinda nuts since he's still asking to take in animals for 'small rehoming fees'. He's also feeding live because "too many snakes won't eat frozen" :downs:

Oh geeze, he's selling green iguanas. My iguana would have been over six feet long if he hadn't lost the last foot of his tail sometime before I got him five years ago. These are not small reptiles and can be very dangerous (my guy has bitten through a leather jacket). I really hate seeing stores and hoarders with iguanas.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Enelrahc posted:

Horse owners love this poo poo. Especially the crazy ones, which is 95% of them.

For bonus points learn how to do T Touch as well, and then charge extra for lightly poking an animal.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

kimbolily posted:

Found this little gem

Why do people do this? Get a puppy, and then get rid of it a few months later? Do they not realized that puppies require raising and training or something?

Wait, I think I just answered my own question.

Content: Wanted: female carpet python shedding (gresham)

quote:

Hi im looking to get a skin shedding from a female carpet python for little to no money. i would also like to make sure it was from a female please its for a test i will be doing with my carpet python. Thank you.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/zip/3647679607.html

I called, the guy says it's serious. No charge. Just go get her. :psyduck:

Oh god what.

I think I'd go get the poor thing and make a straight trip to the nearest primate refuge. Just show up on their doorstep with a chimp I got from craigslist and a couple hundred dollars donation. Whatever they do with it will be be 100X better than whatever Joe 'I want a pet who will rip my face off' Schmoe will do with it. Even euthanasia.

Dead serious, when I worked at Petsmart I had customers who told me they wanted to get wolves and other dangerous exotic animals. The danger just made them want the animal more. The animal was a dick-replacement, I swear.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Please tell us what's going to happen to that chimp. 2nd most intelligent species of ape in the world, I worry Bad Thing will happen. And that one is still a baby at two.

And oh god, I'll never get over people weaning puppies early to sell. Even if they get weaned early from Mom they still need to be with their siblings until they're at least 8 weeks, otherwise they might have issues with bite-inhibition. 12 is better. WHY are these folks so ready to get rid of their (presumably wanted) puppies at five weeks??

fake edit: Oh my loving god I might know this bird. http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pet/3640788384.html He would have been ten when I knew him. I cannot care for him, please, someone tell me that getting another bird is a Bad Idea, I literally have hoarder tendencies and they are SCREAMING for me to save this animal.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

I tried to convince my boyfriend to take this bird, but the house has a baby and it would not work out at all. Argh.

If it's the bird I'm thinking of it has biting issues, I would not recommend a animal like that for a household with a small child.

Jesus, this reminds me of the time Wes's breeder liquidated her flock and I called her a panic trying to find out if she still had his parents (she didn't).

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Ah yes, the rare and valuable American Staffordshire Terrier!

Odd, you'd think a breeder of fine bloodlines would have invested in a properly built kennel, at least.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Pew! Pew! posted:

I'm not bothering to flag this because I have no sympathy for anyone who willingly would purchase a snapping turtle

Pssh it's not like they get big or anything (yes they get very big and can bite through a broom handle as adults)

I guess sometimes a person really does deserve to lose a finger. Or two.

Reminds me of the family in Washington a decade ago who kept an alligator in their bathtub, and got upset when it escaped and their neighbors complained about having an alligator on their front lawn. Because it was totally a nice family pet and not dangerous at all and how dare they get mad when a large carnivore showed up on their doorstep unexpectedly. Maybe the neighbors should have fed it a hand or something I don't know.

Anyway, cute turtle, I hope it enjoys its future diet of human limbs.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Look at those fine, outstanding dogs pictured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myostatin#Performance_enhancement_in_dogs That's what those bullies remind me of. They look very similar to a double-muscled whippet. Has anyone ever tested bullies to see if they have that mutation? (this probably isn't right thread for it, I guess, but I'm curious)

The spelling is the real cap of that post however. Nice, professional looking picture that was probably stolen from another site; terrible, terrible spelling and grammar.

Also, the last place I think of when I'm looking for show-quality dogs is Craigslist.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Well, you see the sent the second one out to find the first one when it got lost, and the third out after both of them.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

cryingscarf posted:

Guys! Lets start trading our pets like pokemon cards. What can I get for a neurotic terrier mix??

That's got to be worth at least one neurotic house cat, and I have several. Want to trade?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

cryingscarf posted:

Sweet, I'll take three!

Awesome! They all hate each other so you're in for some fun, fun times.

Content:

quote:

Need husky/wolf/German Shepard
Looking for a husky mix preferably, but will look at German sheppards and wolf mixes too. My close friend lost his dog 2 days ago and had to put him to sleep after only having him for 2 days :( will pay up to $100 rejoining fee. Contact me :)

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 21, 2013

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Baika posted:

So who wants a pet dinosaur...head?

Those are awesome. I want Tracy, I need a hat-rack.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

What the hell is a mirco-cat and why would you want to sedate one?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Amberlyn posted:

I assume you mean a micro-cat?

Google tells me it's just a kitten. I guess the person in downtown PDX doesn't realize that a micro-cat will just grow up to be a normal-cat.

:blush: That's what I get for trying to spell while sleep deprived. Thanks, I was wondering if there was some sort of "toy"-sized cat out there that I had somehow missed.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

How on earth do you not have time to take care of a betta? :psyduck:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hooo yeah, this is getting shared:

Gotta love that cedar chip bedding. I know when I buy mice I'm looking for ones with respiratory problems, along with uncontrolled inbreeding.

e. Probably not the right place for this, but I found a thing that's full of terribleness. "Monkeymoms" are horrible, horrible people, oh god.. It's from the latest F+ episode and features just about every terrible thing that I hate about a certain type of pet owner. Warning, features people talking about having their "baby" monkeys defanged so they can't bite, among other atrocities.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 20, 2013

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

To actually contribute some content:

quote:

Green Iguana (edited out)
We have a female iguana named Missy. We need to find her a new home because we have been getting to busy to give her the attention she needs. She doesn't bite and is nice. lately she has had a temper because she was getting ready to lay eggs. She laid them now and is starting to be normal again. She must go to an experienced reptile owner. She needs a bigger tank.. we havent been able to afford one but we let her free roam. She is 2 years old and is about 3 ft long
we live in the dalles oregon and will not deliver unless its in The Dalles.

This is just awesome iguana-keeping. Not only did they buy an animal they can't afford to properly house, she lays eggs! I foresee a very expensive emergency spay in the future if she's very lucky, or a dead iguana if she's not.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Scary Ned posted:

Eh, it's less weird than you might think. Given how much space these guys need to be happy, it's a pretty good solution for people who don't mind iguana-proofing the whole damned house.

Not sure if it's even possible to keep them from laying eggs, though. I don't have much experience with ladyguanas.

I have an iggy too, mine's almost six feet long and I keep him in a solid-sided cage that's the size of a walk-in closet. It just boggles me that people get these guys and then get rid of them when they get too big. That's kind of like getting a great dane puppy and rehoming it when it grows up in my opinion. It's an iguana, it's going to get big.

My understanding is that the females will often have trouble if they don't have a place to bury her eggs, like a nice deep rubbermaid contain full of potting soil.

I should take some pictures of my guy, he sleeps with his tongue hanging out.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

cryingscarf posted:

A couple from the past few weeks:

Feel bad for the dog but are people really this irresponsible? (yes.)

That poor monkey. :smith: I'm not good at judging a monkey's age but she doesn't look more than a month or two old. I bet she was just taken from her momma.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I want a Space Unicorn, but my cat won't let me put a horn on her. :smith:

Found this on Craigslist:

quote:

wanting to give bird a home (oregon)

I know people frown on these kind of postings but here goes anyway. I have been looking for a long time to give a great home to a cockatoo African grey quaker or conure. Yes I know the old saying if you can't afford the homing fee you can't afford to take care of it. Well I disagree as I am more than capable of providing for all needs including vet bills I however do not just have hundreds of dollars sitting around. If you are looking for a loving caring and knowledgeable home I would love to help!!!

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Drum posted:

This guy's got 4 more listing for adult birds. Seriously 70 Quaker babies? 20 Conure babies? And this guy even states he's a wholesaler, so that kind of goes terribly against Craigslist policy on selling pets.

Then of course, there's all the stuff about a dead dog dumping ground under a bridge in Bastrop. :(

I've hand raised birds before and everything is wrong with this ad. :stare: those babies will die of sour-crop and/or crop-burns and/or malnutrition due to being sold to inexperienced handfeeders. And 4 week old macaws being hand fed three times a day ye gads :gonk: These are birds who need to be hand fed for six to nine months. One month old is still a tiny infant for them. In my old job we'd be still feeding them five to six times a day. Three times a day is for when they'd switched to their fledging stage and started to drop weight so they could learn to fly.

Then worst part is I garuntee he knows most of these babies will die, and doesn't care. Ive seen wholesalers like him before and they do not give a poo poo about their animals, they could be wholesaling lumber for all they care. One guy I know of even ignored a quarantine for a poultry disease in order to make a buck about fifteen years ago.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Mirthless posted:

Neither Craigslist or Kijiji, but I thought this was the most appropriate thread for this review for a local Petco:

https://plus.google.com/112444408825151417448/about?gl=us&hl=en

:allears:

I used to work for Petsmart so this is making me laugh. Like fish, the majority of the cost of getting a reptile is the life-support system. I wish people understood that.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Official Bizness posted:

My blood ran cold.

How is that rabbit still alive?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Malalol posted:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pet/3930771179.html
Is..that.
-a turtle???

Sorry no screenie on ipad :(

No that's a savannah monitor. They tend to have obesity problems in captivity due to being overfed.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

Now I really DO want an explanation...

Those would be some really small chickens, uh.

Maybe you could keep button quail in there? They're really small and cute.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Silly Hippie posted:

Okay those are pretty dogs but were German Shepards always that BIG? I swear to god the dogs I remember from my childhood were 3/4ths that size. I also never saw black GSDs anywhere and I've seen like ten in real life in the last two years.

Also enjoying the thought process that must've gone into that outfit. "What should I wear to take a picture to post on the internet, advertising the sale of live animals? Hmm, yes, the weed leaf hat and HIGH AS gently caress shirt ought to do it."

The marijuana plants in the background are a nice touch too.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

that would be a cool fish to have in a 1000 gallon aquarium imo

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Mirthless posted:

this is a p high quality dog that totally should exist

I won't deny it, if I saw that dog at the pound it'd be going home with me :kimchi:

Weirdest looking dog I ever saw was a lhasa apso/boxer

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

They can be trained but if I recall correctly even trained they can get really assholish when they reach maturity. I bet it's under five years old.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Nightmare Zone posted:

I highly recommend central and south Florida's CL if you wanna see more animals of questionable legality up for sale.

Also that guy's way too big to be riding that zebra. I don't remember exactly when you're supposed to start riding horses but they're generally a lot bigger before you even put a saddle on them.

Honestly you'd be surprised at what is legal to own, a lot of states will allow you to keep dangerous predatory animals with the barest minimum containment which is how you get people keeping tigers in a dog run in their backyard in the middle of a suburban neighborhood. I just had a lady in today at work who mentioned that she own a lynx (I think a Siberian Lynx but I'm not sure). This was at a normal grocery store. She's the third person I've met who owned an exotic cat.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Mirthless posted:

My wife used to know people who kept bobcats. Kept them in a big backdoor cage with a tree, so I guess they had a nice enclosure, but they were apparently defanged and declawed so they were "safe". :negative:

This was in Jenks, OK which is an upper middle class suburb of Tulsa.

One of the people I knew kept their Bobcats in their garage & some other cat (not domestic ) in their house. It was this other cat that attacked their parrot.

The other person kept a lion in their apartment.

It's a wonder that there aren't more people dead from lion in the great US of A imo :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Jack_tripper posted:

I've got 10k and I'm looking for a dog; how do I know which craigslist byb is right for me?

A 10K Craigslist byb will meet you in the parking garage at Nordstrom's instead of Goodwill.

• Locked thread