Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I torture myself by reading craigslist, too. I couldn't find anything too horrible at the moment, except for a couple of "yeah, good luck with that" ads: someone trying to sell a budgie for $100, someone else giving away free mice "FOR PETS ONLY!!"

The cat rescues pull the usual tricks to grab attention: every DLH is a Maine coon mix, every gray DSH is a Russian blue, etc. Harmless enough, I guess.

For a while there was a guy trying to get finches, because "all my birds died or got out and flew away and I'm looking to get some more." Good job, rear end in a top hat, people will be lining up to give you more birds now!

The ads for birds are so often heartbreaking. There was a cockatiel in a tiny dirty cage that "HAS TO GO TONIGHT!!!!" Ads worded like that always make me wonder if they just kill it or let it outside if no one takes it. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

A mini pig with mini pig papers from mini pig breeder... that can high-five AND has 105 friends on Facebook?! I'm totally sold.

Actually I'm just really confused.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Amberlyn posted:

I....I want him. I want the mini-papered-high-fiving-mini-pig. Does that make me a terrible person? :(

Nah, I actually kinda want him, too. He looks like a pretty rad little pig. :3: Oops, I mean mini pig.

Here's one of the lovely nonsense posts that tend to pop up:

What the gently caress is "cux yet" :psyduck:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
The ads offering to trade animals for things always weird me out. Especially when it's for other animals. I've seen bird listings that list a rehoming fee... but are also willing to trade for other birds of a different species. :wtc: I can see that for fish and I guess herps too, but birds?

There's also some guy frequently trying to get rid of budgies who is willing to accept birdseed as payment instead of money. Birdseed ain't rare or expensive, dude, just take the rehoming fee and buy more seed :psyduck: And I guess that means he's overrun with budgies or keeps breeding them or something?

There seems to be some misconception (at least with small species?) that if you have a pair of birds, you HAVE to give them a nest box, and then you HAVE to let them keep and incubate and hatch the eggs they lay. So people are like "I have tons of finches now and they just keep making more and I don't know what to do about it :saddowns: So I'm giving them away, but be prepared for them to keep multiplying!" Ugh, just stop giving them a nest or give them dummy eggs or something arrgghhh

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Don't worry! A dog that melo will find a goo home, no problem. Especially at the low, low price of $450.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Oh man, I love that dog. It just looks so wrong from every angle.

I knew a basset mix that looked... kinda shepherd-ish, but really I have no idea what the hell. Whatever she was, she was the most majestic fuckin' dog to ever have tiny, stumpy legs. She was awesome.

Also, goddamn, Frankie's mere presence in any photo instantly makes it really surreal

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Got a couple of snakes for y'all this time:

I swear this guy has been trying to rehome this snake for months. I keep seeing it, and I remember it every time, because this is just such a weird picture to show off a snake. (Basically, now whenever I see an ad for a corn snake, I click to see if it's this one. It usually is.) There are more normal pictures, too, but why a dresser? A scary picture of a dresser?

Another trader, but this guy loves anything with a motor so much that it even makes him stop yelling!

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I've seen this put up several times:

I... don't really understand what's going on here. How exactly does one steal reptiles? Does he grab the snake and just run out the door? People said they were robbed--literally? At gunpoint? Or does he break into their house to steal snakes? I imagine they'd go to the police if that's the case, and not just go for craigslist justice. It's not even posted in the right area.

This one's just from a regular posting by a rescue, but I cracked the gently caress up at this cat:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Superconsndar posted:

lol WHY do they always post pics of the dogs tied, WHY.

The rest of the time they're too busy eating babies to pose for a photo. :smug:

(I didn't notice that either, ugghh. Maybe tricking people into looking at your dogs post-gently caress is some kind of internet alpha roll)

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
But he's ""MICRO""! The more quotation marks involved, the more people will pay, right?!

Yeah, the "puppy that will stay a puppy" line seems unintentionally ominous. :smith:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I actually gasped and shuddered when I saw that picture. It's so absurd that it almost looks photoshopped.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Sapphaholic posted:

NINE parakeets in a 13x25x36" cage? :cry:

People love to do poo poo like that. I see ads on my local craigslist from time to time where someone is trying to dump a ton of budgies at once. Something like "giant flight cage comes with 18 parakeets must go asap" It usually looks to be a standard A&E/HQ flight cage (32x21x35") just crammed full of birds. Ugh.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
My cat was a stray that an older couple started feeding, but they couldn't take her in. The pound was full, and when asked, the police told them to shoot her. This is in a VA county that used to be pretty rural, but now half of it is affluent suburb. It blows my mind. So instead they found a rescue, I adopted her, and she is now spoiled rotten.

But my mind is really blown by the "then well u know" attitude of that craigslist poster. :stonk: I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, but still, holy poo poo.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
The latest Best of Craigslist is awesome: Need to borrow/rent live ducks (not a joke)

"Details: ducks will be gently secured into passenger seats of model train set. origami hats made of 1, 5 and 10 dollar bills will be placed on each ducks head."

When I looked at it before, there was a photo of a duck wearing a little hat (not an origami money hat, sadly), I guess to further explain the concept, but it seems to be gone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Jesus, how long ago did those Taco Bell ads actually run? 15 years ago? Come onnnn, get with the times, Kijiji.

Nothing too egregious on my local craigslist right now, but I did see an ad for a pair of cockatiels that said at the end, "( they are not parrot or conure)"
Also god drat it, they're so cute, and I want to rescue all the little birdies and love them forever. This is why I stopped reading craigslist uggghhh

Oh, and this: "Looking to trade my common snapper for a spider python. or, willing to trade for fun stuff that my 5 year old will enjoy." You know, bartering a native hell-turtle for toys or whatever, no biggie.
Hahah I forgot to add that the listing is titled "TRADE MY SNAPPING TURTLE FOR YOUR??" They don't even know!

you were warned fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 29, 2013

• Locked thread