Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Happy Hippo posted:

I would start with "Decoration Day" then "The Dirty South". Those two records are flawless victories.

Decoration Day might be my favorite DBT album, but I think Southern Rock Opera is the easiest way to get into them (if you ignore the spoken word stuff) and it has a bunch of their most popular live songs (see them live if you get a chance by the way). It's pretty hard to go wrong with anything from that stretch though. Everything from there is a little more hit or miss, but anything post SRO is worth checking out. As mentioned the stuff prior to that isn't on the same level, although there are a few gems like "The Living Bubba".

Happy Hippo posted:

Everyone go check out the first three Son Volt records right now. They are masterpieces of American music, god drat it. :colbert:

Trace is a legit classic, everything else...eh.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mexcillent posted:

Just saw the Old '97s play all of Too Far To Care last night. It was pretty much one of the greatest experiences of my young life.

Gonna see this on Thursday night, I'm pretty pumped. I like the stuff that came after that album a lot more than I think most Old 97's fans do, but it's still my favorite.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 29, 2012

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Happy Hippo posted:

Cooley has one in the works too.

This is extremely exciting.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Epi Lepi posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the newest Lucero album? I don't dislike it, but after a couple listens there no tracks that really grab me yet. A couple more listens might turn one up, but as of right now I like it more than there first two albums but not as much as any of their others.

Pretty much the same. It's a solid album but it's not at the level of everything else they've done from That Much Further West on. I thought 1372 was their best album too, so it's a little disappointing to see them take a step back like that, even if it wasn't a huge one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Happy Hippo posted:

This is so far off but I can see how you'd think that once you've seen those two album covers. I'm of a mind that the Truckers came into their own on Southern Rock Opera and that those first two records where mainly gimmick-country music. Mainly.

Yeah they're one of my five or so favorite bands but I don't really like anything pre-SRO (save The Living Bubba). But the run from Southern Rock Opera through The Dirty South is pretty untouchable. Brighter Than Creations Dark is pretty great too, and the other three they've done since then all have their high points even if they're a bit more hit or miss.

Mexcillent posted:

Real great. I saw them for my birthday this year and they played their ASSES off. I was scared I'd be bored but they were great.

They're so good live. I'm going to see them for the third time this year in a couple weeks. They tour a ton.

When I first got into Lucero I actually didn't love the first couple albums but now those are probably among my favorites. The first one especially is just great.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

10 Beers posted:

Lucero is amazing! I've seen them 5 times, and they always come up on stage and just play the poo poo out of everything they've got.

I've seen them when Ben got too drunk and couldn't remember a bunch of his songs but even that's pretty fun in its own way.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eem posted:

Dunno if anyone here has heard it, but the new DBT record is the best they've made since Brighter Than Creation's Dark, if not before that. Half Hood, half Cooley, tighter songs than they've written in years.

I haven't yet but I've heard good things from people who have and I'm excited about it. More Cooley is almost always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Standard answer is Decoration Day and The Dirty South. Southern Rock Opera precedes those and was their breakthrough but doesn't click for a lot of people until they hear something else. After the "classic" lineup the produced DD and TDS dissolves, the clear highlights are Brighter than Creation's Dark and this week's English Oceans, though the other three post-Jason Isbell albums all have their moments. The pre-SRO albums are widely neglected but absolutely worth a spin once you've burnt through the rest.

I disagree, Decoration Day and The Dirty South are great and should definitely be the next step, but I think SRO is the best way to get into them. Aside from the easily skipped spoken word stuff I think that's their most accessible album for the most part, or at least has the most songs likely to immediately hook someone, including the one that got him interested in the first place (along with which I'd throw in "Ronnie and Neil", "72 (this Highway's Mean)", "Let There Be Rock", "The Southern Thing", and especially "Zip City", which is still my favorite DBT track). And, anecdotally, it's the album that got me into them and was the first album that grabbed most DBT fans I know.